ADVERTISEMENT

All-Star Classic News

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Fyi...

Princeton University
November 5th
Simultaneous D1 Wrestling and Women's Wrestling (new twist)

I know at least 5 guys that will be asked :).

Potential matchups:

125 Lizak v Cruz finals rematch
133 any combo of Gross v Micic v Brock
141 Kevin Jack v Bryce Meredith because we've not seen them wrestle enough
149 Zain v a Craftsman 42" 20 HP Riding Lawn Mower
157 Nolf v Richie Lewis. Lewis is a NJ local and won't be suffering from jet lag so gotta go with Lewis here
165 Cenzo v IMar rematch? Probably won't happen but weight is stacked with great options
174 Would like to see Hall v Zahid with less at stake so they can feel free to open it up
184 Pat Downey v Daniel Cormier
197 Shakur Rasheed v Anthony Cassar
285 No idea

Wish that guys moving up for the event was the norm. I remember when Brewer did it. Don't want to see preseason rematches.

Wish that guys moving up for the event was the norm. I remember when Brewer did it. Don't want to see preseason rematches.
Unfortunately the weigh-in counts for weight descent purposes - friggin' laughable - so that really hampers what you are looking for. Really hard to battle an elite guy up one class when you still have to cut weight for the lower class.

Reactions: nitlion6
Unfortunately the weigh-in counts for weight descent purposes - friggin' laughable - so that really hampers what you are looking for. Really hard to battle an elite guy up one class when you still have to cut weight for the lower class.

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks. Makes sense. Wish it were different.

I feel differently, dice, if I'm understanding your post. While it's not an official competition date, the All-Star Classic is an in-season event, and weigh-ins are part of weight management...put in place for safety and health reasons.

Potential matchups:

125 Lizak v Cruz finals rematch
133 any combo of Gross v Micic v Brock
141 Kevin Jack v Bryce Meredith because we've not seen them wrestle enough
149 Zain v a Craftsman 42" 20 HP Riding Lawn Mower
157 Nolf v Richie Lewis. Lewis is a NJ local and won't be suffering from jet lag so gotta go with Lewis here
165 Cenzo v IMar rematch? Probably won't happen but weight is stacked with great options
174 Would like to see Hall v Zahid with less at stake so they can feel free to open it up
184 Pat Downey v Daniel Cormier
197 Shakur Rasheed v Anthony Cassar
285 No idea
I would bet 141 pound match up is Ashnault vs Kolodzik based upon regional interest.

Reactions: matter7172
I have to agree with you. A 133 pounder who wants to move up to compete against a 141 pounder should never be forced to give an 8 pound advantage to his opponent to basically maintain his 133 pound eligibility.

The weigh-in and cutting limitations is to keep people from walking around 18 pounds over weight and then crashing in the last 72 hours. Allowing a weigh-in (especially at the beginning of the season) that is below the immediate weight above does nothing to jeopardize the health and safety of the student athlete. Forcing a kid to compete weighing a weight-class less does however, put a kid at risk.

So if Heil noves up to 149 and Zain rips his arm off, how does that affect his descent plan?

Reactions: LHavenlion
I feel differently, dice, if I'm understanding your post. While it's not an official competition date, the All-Star Classic is an in-season event, and weigh-ins are part of weight management...put in place for safety and health reasons.
We will have to disagree on that. I'm as against weight cutting as the next guy but we are not talking about performance affecting dehydration for a single weight class.

It's an exhibition whether it is in season or not. Are post practice weighins monitored by the NCAA? Staff may monitor them but have yet to hear that target weight is flat descent plan. Which is what the weigh in for this exhibition is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT