ADVERTISEMENT

All of you Chambers haters, I’m calling you out!

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
Be man or women enough to admit that you were wrong about Chambers. I’m not saying he’s John Wooden or Bobby Knight, but he has this program at a level that we rarely have been. This was there to see if you looked hard enough, but I don’t blame you for just looking at win/loss totals. It’s time to applaud Chambers and give him the credit he is due.

Last edited:
The announcers are giving Sandy credit for staying with Pat after his 0-10 start last season. He has coached really well this year and has more depth of talent that I’ve ever seen on a PSU team.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Pat’s the man, for sure— I’ve always been of the mind he needed just one more year to break through with all the Philly recruits— but last couple of years were hard and I was losing faith— so happy for whole team— PSU hoops is fearless!!!

Be man or women enough to admit that you were wrong about Chambers. I’m not saying he’s John Wooden or Bobby Knight, but he has this program at a level that we rarely have been. This was there to see if you looked hard enough, but I don’t blame you for just looking at win/loss totals. It’s time to applaud Chambers and give him the credit he is due.
I love the guy but I never expected a team of this quality. In fairness, those who were critical had a right to be. Until this season he was not getting the job done. That has changed, but a lot remains to be done. I wish him, and the team, the best.

Wasn’t a hater but I’ll admit I didn’t like our chances of winning tonight. Congrats to the team and all those loyal fans who believed and get to gloat tonight. Applause to Coach Chambers.

I love the guy but I never expected a team of this quality. In fairness, those who were critical had a right to be. Until this season he was not getting the job done. That has changed, but a lot remains to be done. I wish him, and the team, the best.
Perfect response. And decent post by Ranger. The subject line was a little provocative, but other than that he refrained from trash talking.

if you don’t pay attention to the games, you miss that we weren’t getting blown out, ever, in the last few years. The big ten has been the best conference in the country. It’s tough to win, especially if our best players were young. We went from losing a lot to losing less, to barely losing those games, and now we are winning those games.

Perfect response. And decent post by Ranger. The subject line was a little provocative, but other than that he refrained from trash talking.
Kinda. ;)

But the gloating wasn’t offensive, and heck he is cheering for Penn State after all. So how offensive could that possibly be?

Reactions: nits74
So what happens if we go another 8 years after this one without making the dance? Isn’t some sustained success required before we dub his coaching tenure a success or is one good season out of nine enough? They have a very good team this year and Pat’s done a great job, but one season doesn’t erase eight others. If the last eight seasons were a building process, then we should see the fruits of that process over the next few years in the results. What will everyone say if we drop back to the bottom of the league for the next few years?

if you don’t pay attention to the games, you miss that we weren’t getting blown out, ever, in the last few years. The big ten has been the best conference in the country. It’s tough to win, especially if our best players were young. We went from losing a lot to losing less, to barely losing those games, and now we are winning those games.

The reality and/or optics of last year’s 0-10 stretch run was what sent a lot of people over the edge. We didn’t even grab a win or two by the law of averages. So while what you’re saying makes sense, the frustration was the inability to close out some of those games successfully, making it seem like the program was regressing.

Close losses are a losers lament. Every time this team appeared to be breaking through, they faltered. Then, expectations were high coming into this season and they lose to OSU by 32. I will not fault anyone who offered legitimate criticism. It was deserved. So now is the praise.

Reactions: Howie'81
So what happens if we go another 8 years after this one without making the dance? Isn’t some sustained success required before we dub his coaching tenure a success or is one good season out of nine enough? They have a very good team this year and Pat’s done a great job, but one season doesn’t erase eight others. If the last eight seasons were a building process, then we should see the fruits of that process over the next few years in the results. What will everyone say if we drop back to the bottom of the league for the next few years?
I’m sure you’ll let us know.

Reactions: CattyGuy51

PSU fired Dunn two years after going to the Sweet 16. I think that is pretty much what would happen if we went back to last place.

Next year's team will take a step back, but, many of these guys are returning. (Wheeler. Harrar. Lundy. Dread. Brockington) I think we may be able to sustain something now. I also think recruiting will really go to another level after this year.

I’ve been back and forth. Some brutal games over the last 9 years. Not sure you can blame anyone for being upset in year 8 when the team starts 0-10 in conference. That said, if Pat has truly built something with staying power, then all those struggles are worth it. We had as good or better athletes than Michigan State. That’s incredible to me. If this team goes on and wins the conference or has a chance to win it, then Pat Chambers deserves national coach of the year consideration. Happy for him and the players that have given their guts to the program. Keep it rolling on Saturday

Reactions: Nitwit

Guess 12/7/2019 was never and losing by 32 isn't getting blown out.

I'm one of the ones that believe he should have been fired at various times before this year. But, I've liked Pat since he took the helm, the enthusiasm he brought to the program, and how he's represented PSU. I'm happy that he's achieved success and hope that it continues.

I'm going to leave it at that because I don't make excuses for what I write.

I'm one of the ones that believe he should have been fired at various times before this year. But, I've liked Pat since he took the helm, the enthusiasm he brought to the program, and how he's represented PSU. I'm happy that he's achieved success and hope that it continues.

You must be so miserable, since your only contribution to any discussion is to parse words and pick nits.

Reactions: psuguy43

Art still undefeated as a head coach. Of course he hasn't won any games either.

Reactions: psuguy43
I'll play but far from hater. I did post last year that success was for team to make the dance on a consistent basis. Chambers wasn't getting it done. Glad that Stevens and Watkins decided to stay for this year. They seem to be a good team this year. Good for them, good for PSU. It has been a long time coming. I'll take it and enjoy it.

Let's hope Chambers can keep it rolling this year and years to come. Do not become another Dunn or DeChellis. I'm rooting for Chambers and also rooting for PSU win, lose or draw.

Stat was 1-23 coming into East Lansing. Big win tonight.

This is a great win and secured us into the Big Dance but....we need to see the team finish strong and at least win 1 in the Big Dance but ideally 2 or more. Then keep the program in the Big Dance on a consistent basis call it 3 out of every 4 years.

He’s had a very long leash. Hopefully he can keep it going for more than just 1 year. Not a hater, but let’s not pretend he’s been dominating the league for years now either. Just enjoy it.
I never said he was dominating the league, this or any other year. I do think that the success this year validates Chambers ability to compete in the Big Ten.

I always liked the guy!

I thought those who were against him spoke way too soon.

So far, he is proving them very wrong.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
He’s had a very long leash. Hopefully he can keep it going for more than just 1 year. Not a hater, but let’s not pretend he’s been dominating the league for years now either. Just enjoy it.
If you've been following recruiting over the past, beyond simply logging onto the hoops recruiting page on rivals, you would be able to see that we are nowhere near where this team was 8 years ago. It is not going back to a 9 year build. We have talent and incoming talent

If you've been following recruiting over the past, beyond simply logging onto the hoops recruiting page on rivals, you would be able to see that we are nowhere near where this team was 8 years ago. It is not going back to a 9 year build. We have talent and incoming talent
Yes, it’s not going to be a complete collapse next year. We should be a middling team, at worst, but will miss Lamar Stevens and Mike Watkins.

Reactions: SEPATOPTEN
No doubt but most coaches don’t survive 8 years with no tourney either. Just enjoy it, it’s not hard to do. Let’s hope it just keeps on rolling.

No doubt but most coaches don’t survive 8 years with no tourney either. Just enjoy it, it’s not hard to do. Let’s hope it just keeps on rolling.
Most coaches aren't faced with a job like building PSU's MBB program from scratch with some of the worst funding in the B10.

Reactions: 1 and Ranger Dan
Ever heard of “walk softly and carry a big stick”? It’s the Penn State way, understated. All this does is invite more Chambers hate by retreading the past. They know who they are, leave it alone.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT