ADVERTISEMENT

All 130 qbs ranked...Clifford 88th

Larryrise

Feb 3, 2021
Ouch. Mertz 26th, Stroud 20th...https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-preseason-quarterback-rankings-130-fbs-starters-2021

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
The only rankings that matter are post season rankings. Don't tell me how many wins you expect- show me how many you won.

Based on his play last year, sure. Based on his play sophomore year, no way. I dont think Clifford will ever be great, but I think he will play very well this year, I really do. Kid has dealt with a ton of mismanagement, 3 different coaches, accuracy issues, injuries to his running backs.

Clifford is going to prove a lot of doubters wrong this year. He regressed last year as did the rest of PSU because we hadn't gotten the offense all together in a meeting until like half way through the season while installing a new offense while playing most of the year with the 4th and 5th string RBs who were true freshmen. He also lost his security blanket in Freiermuth early. The COVID prep lead to the OL not being ready early in the year causing Clifford to get happy feet as he was hit way too much. Then there were a gazillion false positives throughout the season causing many key players to be unavailable to practice for each week. You can say other teams had these issues too but it was definitely much more pronounced at Penn St that was taking extreme precaution and had ridiculous issues with the COVID testing and some very bad luck in a shortened season on injuries decimating certain positions.

Guess what? The offense is stronger and more experienced at nearly every position since that timeframe AND these guys are actually able to prepare like normal again. I expect Clifford and the entire offense to improve their performance drastically.

Ouch. Mertz 26th, Stroud 20th...https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-preseason-quarterback-rankings-130-fbs-starters-2021
Kind of irrelevant since Ta'Quan Roberson is going to beat out Clifford for the starting QB job.

• Haha
Reactions: PSU2UNC
I think he is significantly better than 88 out of 130.
He needs more help from playmakers than he got last year and I expect he will get it.
Making him the featured runner in our offense made him look worse than he was.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I certainly don't think Clifford is a very good QB, but since he will be starting his 3rd year, experience ought to be worth something.

The two higher ratings that standout to me are Daniels (Georgia) and Stroud. Not saying Stroud is going to be just an average QB - especially with his supporting cast - but #20 is an awfully high rating for a kid that really only played in a handful of CF games in 2020. I'm betting he'll be a very good to outstanding QB but let's wait and see him play a bit first. i guess the same can be said for Alabama's Bryce Young (#22). I guess both get the nod because of the people around them

And Daniels (#23) really played well in the 2nd half of 2020 and had Georgia rolling. IMHO. he's one of the top 5 QBs in the country in 2021

Last edited:
I didn't look at the article but I would say if it's based on last year's statistics it may be pretty correct
19 TDs total
9 INT
1,883 pass yards
335 rush yards
60.6% completion

I understand that it was painful to watch at times, but the statistics are fine; not as good as 2019, but fine.

Reactions: jimarnp
good thing it is a team sport, The team will be ranked higher than 88 when all is said and done

19 TDs total
9 INT
1,883 pass yards
335 rush yards
60.6% completion

I understand that it was painful to watch at times, but the statistics are fine; not as good as 2019, but fine.
Yes the Number are not that bad, but a couple of the 9 int were just brutal and game changing along with a couple fumbles. Here is to Clifford lighting up this year though.

I certainly don't think Clifford is a very good QB, but since he will be starting his 3rd year, experience ought to be worth something.
It ought to be, absolutely. Hackenberg did improve somewhat in 2015 from 2014. McSorley not quite as prolific in his final year compared to the 2 previous years. I think, for what it's worth, he improves slightly this season and we grab that 7-6 winning season. That's about it.

• Haha
Reactions: PearlSUJam
19 TDs total
9 INT
1,883 pass yards
335 rush yards
60.6% completion

The difference between first half and second half were TOs. Had he not turned the ball over the way he did in the first five games, PSU wins 3(?) of them.

As I have said before, I think he was forcing things in the first half because all of his weapons (KJ, Journey, Noah, and after OSU, functionally Pat) were gone and he tried to play hero ball. Once he realized he didn't have to do that, PSU was fine and started winning.

Reactions: RickinDayton
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT