ADVERTISEMENT

AKB: Scotch drinkers

Nitt1300

Nov 2, 2008
After many years of being strictly a beer drinker, I've determined that I'm going to venture a bit back into Scotch. I'm currently starting on a bottle of The Glenlivet (12 years). I won't be guzzling it, maybe two fingers two or three times a week. I'm thinking I should have maybe two- three others on hand for variety. What should I try next?

Reactions: fkkkjm
After many years of being strictly a beer drinker, I've determined that I'm going to venture a bit back into Scotch. I'm currently starting on a bottle of The Glenlivet (12 years). I won't be guzzling it, maybe two fingers two or three times a week. I'm thinking I should have maybe two- three others on hand for variety. What should I try next?
Bourbon.

Oh yeah, and personally, I prefer Glenfiddich over Glenlivet for the less expensive single malts.

PS> Rye>Bourbon

Belvenie 14.

As much as I try, I can't get into scotch. I buy bottles for my pops though since he likes it. But I have to say, he bought me the Glenlivet founders reserve and I liked it very much. Also, the Dalmore 15 year. I think perhaps I liked both because they are not too smokey (peaty?) They are pretty fantastic.

I bought him the Glen Grant 18yo which was ranked as one of the top 3 scotch whisky's in the world. It is not cheap, but for what it is, it is cheap. He loves it, I have yet to try it.

Reactions: fkkkjm and N&B4PSU
You can’t go wrong with “The Glenlivet”, it’s the working mans Scotch of choice. Trust me!!

If you like smoky peaty scotch

12873.jpg

I’m 3-4 years into a Scotch journey. I joined Flaviar a few years back and it’s helped me learn some things. I wish I preferred Bourbon, it’d save me a lot of money, but I’ve tried and I just can’t get that into it. I find the flavor note and overall taste impressiveness ranges of Bourbon to be more limited than Scotch. To me, Scotch can be bad but can also make me feel amazed that liquids can taste so good. To each their own.

I like the smoky/peaty Islay Scotches — Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Bruichladdich, etc. — people usually love them or hate them. I might round out your selection with an Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig 10 if you’re interested in peat. Then maybe a sherry cask finished scotch — Macallan 12 Sherry Oak is good but is overpriced some places. I’ve liked the Tullibardine 500 recently and it’s usually not as pricey.
Enjoy. It’s a deep rabbit hole of you choose to go down.

Reactions: LionJim and fkkkjm
I’m 3-4 years into a Scotch journey. I joined Flaviar a few years back and it’s helped me learn some things. I wish I preferred Bourbon, it’d save me a lot of money, but I’ve tried and I just can’t get that into it. I find the flavor note and overall taste impressiveness ranges of Bourbon to be more limited than Scotch. To me, Scotch can be bad but can also make me feel amazed that liquids can taste so good. To each their own.

I like the smoky/peaty Islay Scotches — Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Bruichladdich, etc. — people usually love them or hate them. I might round out your selection with an Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig 10 if you’re interested in peat. Then maybe a sherry cask finished scotch — Macallan 12 Sherry Oak is good but is overpriced some places. I’ve liked the Tullibardine 500 recently and it’s usually not as pricey.
Enjoy. It’s a deep rabbit hole of you choose to go down.

Speaking ofBruichladdich, there is a great documentary about Jim McEwan I thoroughly enjoyed called Scotch. The golden Dram. I think it’s on Prime.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and Nitwit

I’m not a big scotch drinker, but Johnnie Walker Black is super popular for good reason. It’s a blend though and a great starting point into smoky/peaty whiskies without being super expensive. Japanese whiskies are similar to scotch and get high marks but are tough to find d and/or pricey. There’s a lot out there - finding something you enjoy should be pretty fun.

If you like smoky peaty scotch

12873.jpg
Took that one along on our Alaska cruise. I'm sitting on the balcony swaddled in anything resembling "layers" to keep warm.. got my headphones covering my ears for listening pleasure and added warmth... and and a lonnnnnnnnnng dram of this baby to ward off the evil cold.

Wife is inside reading and now and then glances up at me and shakes her head (I'm thinking she's thinking 'whatta moron' lol).

Truth told.. the twilight of the late late late Alaskan nights on the water, under stars, and the lasting views while listening to my fave tunes and sipping on this baby were something i craved every night. Now if only my other freezing hand could have been holding an Oliva Melanio.... sigh.

Saw it and enjoyed it, thought
it was well done. Really want to try Black Art someday.
same. Even though I’m not a scotch drinker (currently having a Johnnie Green)

I aspire to be the kind of story teller and overall cool guy that Jim McEwan is. Though I suppose ya got it or ya dont.

Reactions: wrm125
Here's one that you probably never heard of Paul John Indian Single Malt. Reasonable priced and available at some PA state stores. I like Glenlivet and Paul John is along the same vain at about half the price.

Recenty had Firkin 7 Islay... gives Lagavulin a run for it's money by bringing the campfire smoke but being perhaps a touch more out there.. L16 is so smooth it's almost a no brainer... but sometimes a bit more character is cool.

First, figure out what style you like (single malt vs blend). Johnny walker is a blend FYSA. If you want to go single malt figure out which region you like (highland, lowland, campbeltown, Spey side and islay). Sites like flaviar, the whisky exchange and master of malt sell small 3cl samplers. Once you find a style you like dive into that style and find your preferred dram. Once you get deep into it, you realize you will probably have different palettes for different events and different foods. I prefer a lighter islay like Caol Ila moch with a steak, and a good highlands style (currently old pulteney) for a solid every day sipping scotch. Everyone has different palettes. Find your preference.

Three currently in my medicine chest;
JW Blue
Aberlour A'bunadh cask strength (125 proof) my favorite, and
Macallan 12 as a household standard.

Always nice to enjoy s bit now and then in a Glencairn glass.

,,,cheers

JW Blue

,,,cheers

I also have a bottle of aberlour. Great stuff. Little hot at cask strength for me though. I prefer to drink around 42ish percent so I have to proof it down a bit but it’s got a great flavor.

Reactions: gr82baspartan
Famous Grouse and Johnny Walker Black are good basics.
Famous Gouse with club soda with a twist of orange is a great post round of golf refresher. JW Black is my regular scotch, neat or rocks. I keep JW Red, Green, Gold, Double Black, Platinum and Blue in my cabinet. Good collection of single malts. Macallan 12, 15, Oban, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Abundah, Laphroaig off the top of my head.

Good advice here. Balvenie is great. I think it is still an independent distiller. The 14 Caribbean cask and 17 double wood are both great starts. I’d avoid smoke bombs out of the gate. However, Lagavulin 16 is a quality peat for sure. Had Ardbeg 10 and struggled a bit there.

Reactions: gslachta
JW Blue

,,,cheers
I like the Aberlour as well. It's not cheap, so I drink that on special occasions. I drink a fair amount of Glenlivet 12 year and also like Oban. I have a raft of other bottles of Scotch whisky, and many of the names are virtually unpronounceable.

Great choice

Reactions: PSUTENN1
Laguvulin 15 or go crazy and try Red Breast or Yellow Spot Irish Whiskeys

The Macallan 12 is my everyday scotch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT