ADVERTISEMENT

Ahem - NCAA fires shots across the bow of MSU

My question(s): was Klages fired (read that yesterday somewhere) or did she retire (as the article from the OP reports)?

I also read that upon learning of Nassar's possible criminality in 2014, they immediately fired him... which doesn't jibe with other things i've read.

Anyone know?
Klages was put on leave after the meeting where she told her team to not discuss 'the Nassar thing' with anybody. Then she retired, and is now collecting a pension courtesy of the taxpayers of the great State of Michigan.

"If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look around you".

Reactions: 91Joe95 and N&B4PSU
Then she retired, and is now collecting a pension courtesy of the taxpayers of the great State of Michigan.
notsure-1.jpg

Without the benefit of a pre-concocted narrative like the Freeh Report, I wonder if Emmett and his band of merry men can run a competent investigation here. I was thinking the only way it even get off the ground would be for there to be a massive groundswell in public outcry to "do something".

Or, Emmett sees an opportunity to puff out his chest. Nice job Ferguson!

Bigger question to me is " how does the NCAA's pulling back on PSU's sanctions based on their trial in Pa" effect how they handle MSU ?

I agree in that..I think the NCAA will only puff out her chest...this is beyond a "hornets nest" for them..caught in a very differult spot...if they act...they likely will lose astray have with others ( sans the cowards at PSU BOT)...but if they don't act...what "value" do they place on female NCAA athletes ?

Hmmm...what to do...what to do....

Reactions: 91Joe95
I would not care if MSU Athletics is given a complete pass concerning roster sanctions. The kids caused none of this. The adults that failed need to be lined up in the public square, recognized for their part of this, and then do the walk shame.
The University will pay the victims but another penalty should be applied. They have earned the LOIC Scarlet Letter and how that is attached has to be determined.

Reactions: BBrown
I would not care if MSU Athletics is given a complete pass concerning roster sanctions. The kids caused none of this. The adults that failed need to be lined up in the public square, recognized for their part of this, and then do the walk shame.
The University will pay the victims but another penalty should be applied. They have earned the LOIC Scarlet Letter and how that is attached has to be determined.
I hate when government gets involved in these types of things, but a great start would be a Congressional hearing with MSU's BOT, president, and gymnastic's coach to make them answer the hard questions under oath in public.

Then next up do the same to the OGBOT at PSU.

I hate when government gets involved in these types of things, but a great start would be a Congressional hearing with MSU's BOT, president, and gymnastic's coach to make them answer the hard questions under oath in public.

Then next up do the same to the OGBOT at PSU.
So you're suggesting a firing squad is out of the question, especially as regards the OGBOT?

Ahem - Dan Wolken shot back at me on Twitter that Bylaws have to be violated for the NCAA to get involved.

However..................

The NCAA exercised its power through a never-before-used process in which its leaders and governing committees were the ones who impose the penalties, essentially declaring that the association has the authority not only to enforce specific rules but to ensure that college programs act ethically.

Mark Emmert discusses that authority: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmY...

17098150_1345330588862728_8397655694013336239_n.jpg

Ed Ray, Chair of the NCAA Executive Committee & Mark Emmert

The following is a transcript of Ed Ray's comments made here in the first few minutes when discussing the Penn State sanctions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktm...

“Good morning, I'm Ed Ray, President Oregon State University and chair of the executive committee of the NCAA. The historically unprecedented actions by the NCAA today are warranted by the conspiracy of silence that was maintained at the highest levels of the University in reckless and callous disregard for the children. There's incredible interest in what will happen to Penn State football but the fundamental story of this horrific chapter should focus on the innocent children and the powerful people who let them down.

There's also been much speculation on whether or not the NCAA has the authority to impose any type of penalty related to Penn State. Not only does the NCAA have the authority to act in this case, we also have the responsibility to say that such egregious behavior is not only against our bylaws and constitution, but also against our value system and basic human decency.

The executive committee which acts on behalf of the entire Association and implements policies to resolve core issues along with the Division 1 Board, a body of presidents representing all of Division one, directed President Emmert to examine the circumstances surrounding the Penn State tragedy, and if appropriate make recommendations regarding punitive and corrective measures.

As a result of the information produced from the Sandusky criminal investigation and the Freeh report, which Penn State commissioned and also agreed to its findings, it became obvious that the leadership failures at Penn State over an extended period of time directly violated association bylaws and the NCAA Constitution relating to control over the athletic department, integrity, and ethical conduct.

The corrective and punitive measures the executive committee in the Division 1 Board of Directors have authorized should serve as a stark wake-up call to everyone involved in college sports that our first responsibility, as outlined in our Constitution, is to adhere to the fundamental values of respect, fairness, civility, honesty and responsibility.

I'll now turn to president Emmert to discuss today's actions and what is expected at Penn State in the future.”

And just in case you missed it, Ed Ray testified in a deposition that he didn't read the Freeh Report or even the Consent Decree before making the above statements.

No need for all of that. There are real NCAA bylaws regarding the safety and welfare of student athletes.

I agree.

That being said, the abiding reaction when it came to our players vav sanctions was "They chose to go to that evil shizhole, so too bad."

Do people recall that line of thinking that was so vociferously bleated in the papers and talk shows, because I do. It was ridiculous then and is equally so now. But hey, football.

I agree they should let law enforcement do their job, but these incidents did involve the abuse of student-athletes, and the obvious failures of MSU to follow reporting procedures. LOIC, anyone?? Title IX investigation also seems proper.

But my more specific point was that the NCAA was not concerned about the welfare of student-athletes until they got publicly dissed by a MSU trustee.
Well now that brings up another question: A Title IX investigation was done on Nassar and found nothing. Who the hell did that investigation and what did it consist of?

Two college kids can get drunk, have sex, then a month later when the boy stops calling the girl and she has regrets, she can turn around and claim she was raped, go to the Title IX people, they do their thing, and 3 months later the guy is expelled. This is actually happening on campuses all over the country. So how does nothing surface from the accusations made against Nassar when investigated under Title IX? Did someone interfere or steer the investigation? Are the investigators just totally incompetent or corrupt? Title IX requires only a preponderance of evidence, that what is alleged "might" have happened. They couldn't see even above the lowest set possible bar that something with this guy might not be right? Every document involved in that proceeding must be publicly released.

Yep. Both stepped outside their lane to grandstand.

I think it's comical you think they learned anything. They're the same corrupt cretins they've always been and would gladly do the exact same thing if invited to by MSU's bot.

I think it's comical you think they learned anything. They're the same corrupt cretins they've always been and would gladly do the exact same thing if invited to by MSU's bot.

MSU's BoT isn't playing nice and again...I'm not so sure they go after them like PSU here. They kind of said that years after saying it was more of a criminal matter which it was. I think it's comical you couldn't figure it out.

MSU's BoT isn't playing nice and again...I'm not so sure they go after them like PSU here. They kind of said that years after saying it was more of a criminal matter which it was. I think it's comical you couldn't figure it out.

You really think the ncaa learned their lesson because MSU's bot has told them to pound sand while PSU's bot told them to punish? You don't think if MSU's bot told them to punish they wouldn't gleefully do it again? Um, ok.

You really think the ncaa learned their lesson because MSU's bot has told them to pound sand while PSU's bot told them to punish? You don't think if MSU's bot told them to punish they wouldn't gleefully do it again? Um, ok.
Well that isn't happening, is it? So you are talking about a situation that isn't occurring...well played. MSU apparently learned from PSU.

Well now that brings up another question: A Title IX investigation was done on Nassar and found nothing. Who the hell did that investigation and what did it consist of?

Two college kids can get drunk, have sex, then a month later when the boy stops calling the girl and she has regrets, she can turn around and claim she was raped, go to the Title IX people, they do their thing, and 3 months later the guy is expelled. This is actually happening on campuses all over the country. So how does nothing surface from the accusations made against Nassar when investigated under Title IX? Did someone interfere or steer the investigation? Are the investigators just totally incompetent or corrupt? Title IX requires only a preponderance of evidence, that what is alleged "might" have happened. They couldn't see even above the lowest set possible bar that something with this guy might not be right? Every document involved in that proceeding must be publicly released.

Let's not forget the Ingham County, MI Prosecutor’s Office, who received a sexual assault report against Nassar from the MSU police but declined to file charges.

Reactions: Royal_Coaster
Well that isn't happening, is it? So you are talking about a situation that isn't occurring...well played. MSU apparently learned from PSU.

You said the ncaa learned it's lessons, not msu. We all know no board in its right mind would do what PSU's did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT