ADVERTISEMENT

Advice on remodeling our kitchen......... Feel free to tell me your experiences, good and/or bad.

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
House was built in 1959. Original quaker made cabinets. We did a mini makeover when we moved in 27 years ago - new counter tops (laminate), ceramic flooring, replaced the gas wall oven with an electric double oven..... We kept the separate gas cooktop.

We have talked about remodeling the kitchen or years, but I spent some significant $ the last 2 years building a good sized garage/workshop and replacing (doubling the size) of our concrete driveway. But no use putting it off. I'm retired and wife is likely quitting this summer.

Kitchen prep, cabinet area is 14 by 10, with a separate breakfast area, and I'm not planning on moving walls. Sink is in the center of an 8' window, dishwasher beside it and refrig across next to entrance door with cooktop and microwave above across from sink, so we don't plan on doing much if any rearrangement of the appliances. My initial ideas are to install larger (higher) cabinets on the inside wall as it has a high bulkhead up to the cathedral ceiling (higher on that wall, the non symmetric center of that part of the house).

But I'm really looking for advice on contractors, experience with installers, cabinet makers, brands, etc. Looking to get quality cabinets, but not going to throw money at it.

I got this started by taking my wife to Home Depot after last Friday's dinner out to look at appliances. She now wants a regular gas range, and she picked out an LG she liked, which was about the only one we looked at that was significantly on sale, 44% off. Yep, it had good ratings. So I went out and bought it yesterday. To be delivered in June due to being backordered. So I need the kitchen done to accommodate the range! Although I can stash it until the project is done.

Made appointments with 2 kitchen remodeling companies, family owned, that a good friend had give them estimates and one of whom did a great job on their kitchen.

I also made an appointment with a designer at Home Depot. Anyone use a big box store, HD or Lowes, and how did it go?

Other advice?

Last edited:
I used HD for an office design and their cabinets cubbies etc. I wanted to save some money. That said if I were going to undertake your task, I'd go to that kitchen designer. I think they would have more incentive to do things right as opposed to the the guy at HD. Another thing is lighting and the electric. You cant have enough. and now if I was putting in new outlets etc, it would all be 'Smart' to run off of Alexa or whatever eco system you have. I would also put in USB chargers in the outlets as well.
I would also double the time it takes to get it done, and maybe triple the budget!!

I used HD for an office design and their cabinets cubbies etc. I wanted to save some money. That said if I were going to undertake your task, I'd go to that kitchen designer. I think they would have more incentive to do things right as opposed to the the guy at HD. Another thing is lighting and the electric. You cant have enough. and now if I was putting in new outlets etc, it would all be 'Smart' to run off of Alexa or whatever eco system you have. I would also put in USB chargers in the outlets as well.
I would also double the time it takes to get it done, and maybe triple the budget!!

Thanks for the response. I generally do my own electric work, and for sure we need additional outlets on the Range/Microwave side of the kitchen as there are none on those two short counter areas and one of those counter areas will get somewhat longer due to removal of the wall oven, probably even if we put a pantry in it's place. The switch for the ceiling an is now behind the cooktop, where the stove is likely going, so that will be moved so we don't have to reach over the stove...... Plenty of openings for more circuits in the 220 sub panel I installed some years ago in the basement directly under the kitchen.

Main lighting is 4 can lights with high output LED floodlights which seems to do a good job. The light above the sink is now a short florescent fixture which for sure will be upgraded. May go for some under cabinet lighting as well, but the boss (I mean wife) will make that call......

Lots of new tech to consider. First, for flooring, the new laminates are awesome (as are the ceramics). You can go with a good wood look or marble at a much lower cost (and they are water resistant as compared to wood which is always a risk in the kitchen). For lighting, go LED. With LED you can do some cool affects like putting a string of lights under the cabinet but above the kick board so you have it shining down and ambient. I know of a company doing smoked glass counters with lights under them that change color so you can change the color/look of the kitchen at any time. Also, under the top cabinet shining down on the work areas.

Stone counters continue to be expensive but bring much greater value. I go with a home depot class that looks good but won't break the bank.

Another great value is if you have room for an island or bar area. Really, just a place to have a sandwich will in the kitchen. Other things to consider is a microwave in a pull out drawer, a mini-fridge under the counter for drinks or ice, pull our trash can (compactor, if you want to pay the cost), different colored cabinets for bar/up or down (not my cup of tea as I can't coordinate all of that contrast but looks good by other people) (I like a white kitchen and just do plain white cabinets that are shaker). I personally like a microwave up at eye height so I am not bending over to see it but I understand the space saving value.

Fun ride if you aren't in a hurry...take your time and enjoy the creative process.

under-bar-lighting-12__09288.1553650682.jpg
Kitchen-glass-countertop-Paulette3-400x300.jpg
smd3070as-sharp-30-microwave-drawer-oven-with-hidden-control-panel-stainless-steel-10.jpg

Lots of new tech to consider. First, for flooring, the new laminates are awesome (as are the ceramics). You can go with a good wood look or marble at a much lower cost (and they are water resistant as compared to wood which is always a risk in the kitchen). For lighting, go LED. With LED you can do some cool affects like putting a string of lights under the cabinet but above the kick board so you have it shining down and ambient. I know of a company doing smoked glass counters with lights under them that change color so you can change the color/look of the kitchen at any time. Also, under the top cabinet shining down on the work areas.

Stone counters continue to be expensive but bring much greater value. I go with a home depot class that looks good but won't break the bank.

Another great value is if you have room for an island or bar area. Really, just a place to have a sandwich will in the kitchen. Other things to consider is a microwave in a pull out drawer, a mini-fridge under the counter for drinks or ice, pull our trash can (compactor, if you want to pay the cost), different colored cabinets for bar/up or down (not my cup of tea as I can't coordinate all of that contrast but looks good by other people) (I like a white kitchen and just do plain white cabinets that are shaker). I personally like a microwave up at eye height so I am not bending over to see it but I understand the space saving value.

Fun ride if you aren't in a hurry...take your time and enjoy the creative process.

under-bar-lighting-12__09288.1553650682.jpg
Kitchen-glass-countertop-Paulette3-400x300.jpg
smd3070as-sharp-30-microwave-drawer-oven-with-hidden-control-panel-stainless-steel-10.jpg
Thanks for the suggestions.

My wife and I like our microwave over our current cook top so we will probably keep it or replace it with a similar unit over the new gas range. Yep, we like it at eye level.

We were limited to a small refrig (30" wide) when me moved in and still have it, so just going to a 36" wide counter depth refrig, double door on top with freezer below, will be a great upgrade. We are't big wine drinkers so I can's see us going for an additional small refrig. I did put one in my new detached garage for the beer necessary after car work is completed...........

I have LED bulbs in all our house lighting fixtures. But I do have reservations about built in LED's within fixtures. I installed 2 LED decorative wall fixtures (integral LED's) on the sides of the garage door of the garage I built, and the same fixture next to our front door, about one year ago but already two of the LED's lights have failed. Home Depot was good about replacing them, but I still had to install them again and I'm apprehensive about how long any of them will last. So I probably will insist that the LED lighting I have installed in the kitchen has replaceable LED lights/units/bulbs, as some just don't really last as long as they say.....

We did look at the flooring offered at Home Depot, and will look at some independent flooring businesses as well. And yes we were attracted to the new laminates as well as the porcelain and ceramic flooring that comes in marble look patterns. So many great options that it will be a tough choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obliviax
this galley has some pretty good ideas, including built in wireless chargers as well as touch faucets....

Reactions: GregInPitt
Done forget to add a wine refrigerator. They don’t take up much space and are great for accommodating most people’s needs, plus they add some cache to the room.

I did HD for a kitchen renovation about 10 years ago. They missed a few design things some of which i caught. My suggestion is to go to a cabinet company for the design and cabinets. They will probably be able to recommend contractors for the demolition, construction, flooring, lighting, countertops, etc. HD isn't worth the premium cost.

I removed the upper part of a wall to install a bar counter between kitchen and dining room. Also removed the hot water baseboard heat in the kitchen. Replaced it with electic radiant heat grid under the floor tile. Great result. Love the warm tile in cold weather and cool tile in warm weather.

FWIW.....I find it interesting that you converted from gas to electric. Whenever I get around to my kitchen remodel, I'm going the other way--electric to gas. I got used to all-gas appliances and hate cooking on electric. That said, I will absolutely hire a kitchen designer--and I say that as someone with both a close family member and friend (specifically a kitchen designer there) who work at Lowe's and can get me discounts.

FWIW.....I find it interesting that you converted from gas to electric. Whenever I get around to my kitchen remodel, I'm going the other way--electric to gas. I got used to all-gas appliances and hate cooking on electric. That said, I will absolutely hire a kitchen designer--and I say that as someone with both a close family member and friend (specifically a kitchen designer there) who work at Lowe's and can get me discounts.
I am not a "cook" but most people I know who are great cooks want the speed and control of gas over electric. My wife fears the open flame. We also converted from electric to gas and I like gas much better.

That was to replace an ancient gas wall oven that pretty much scared us. When I began this process and looked at appliances without my wife along I assumed that she wanted a dual fuel oven (gas cooktop and elect oven), as we both like gas for the cooktop. But when I got her out to look she wanted just a gas range. Her decision, but dual fuel ranges seem to be premium options and I'd have had to move the 220 line from the wall oven location, so an all gas range will save a couple grand.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
If you're considering a more 'professional' design company, or just looking for inspiration, I recommend Unique Kitchens & Bath in Great Falls, VA. They conduct virtual consultations, but this is probably more for really custom kitchens and not just a refresh. My kitchen is somewhere on this website too....:).

Last edited:
I am not a "cook" but most people I know who are great cooks want the speed and control of gas over electric. My wife fears the open flame. We also converted from electric to gas and I like gas much better.
I can say this because she doesn't read the boards: But my wife was always afraid of the gas range blowing up the house--she'd "check to make sure it was off" with some degree of regularity. I laughed.

I assume you've got a dining room next to the kitchen area as most homes built in 1959 have one. If so, anyway to take out the wall and expand your kitchen into a much larger area. Almost everyone I know that has a dining room use it about twice per year.

Switch back to gas for your primary oven and stove top. If two ovens add an electric convection.
When we bought the house 27 years ago we converted what was the dining room at that time into our breakfast room, basically annexing that into the kitchen, extending new kitchen flooring into the breakfast room, and adding a wall between the BR and our living room. We also converted a large den across the hall from our kitchen, off the entry, to a formal DR, moving a wall 1.5' to allow us to place the large china cabinet on the end and still open the table up to maximum length for entertaining. Yep, we have to carry the food over and dirty dishes back, but we really like it. And the breakfast room is large enough to seat at least 6 at the table with a counter and stools along the divide from the kitchen for a rare occasion when we have more than 6 to eat informally. We were hoping that would be more often but our 2 sons have been slow in making grandchildren.....

Anyway, no plans to move walls at this point. Just a rework of the current kitchen, new gas stove, new/larger refrig, new flooring, some lighting updates, and new cabinets with updated storage solutions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.

My wife and I like our microwave over our current cook top so we will probably keep it or replace it with a similar unit over the new gas range. Yep, we like it at eye level.

We were limited to a small refrig (30" wide) when me moved in and still have it, so just going to a 36" wide counter depth refrig, double door on top with freezer below, will be a great upgrade. We are't big wine drinkers so I can's see us going for an additional small refrig. I did put one in my new detached garage for the beer necessary after car work is completed...........

I have LED bulbs in all our house lighting fixtures. But I do have reservations about built in LED's within fixtures. I installed 2 LED decorative wall fixtures (integral LED's) on the sides of the garage door of the garage I built, and the same fixture next to our front door, about one year ago but already two of the LED's lights have failed. Home Depot was good about replacing them, but I still had to install them again and I'm apprehensive about how long any of them will last. So I probably will insist that the LED lighting I have installed in the kitchen has replaceable LED lights/units/bulbs, as some just don't really last as long as they say.....

We did look at the flooring offered at Home Depot, and will look at some independent flooring businesses as well. And yes we were attracted to the new laminates as well as the porcelain and ceramic flooring that comes in marble look patterns. So many great options that it will be a tough choice.
I've just replaced my 50 watt can lights( which i removed) with snap in wafer led lights which produce 13 watts. Drilled 2 additional holes added 2 more lights. Phillips as well as other companies make them. You have a switch on the J- box which allows different levels of lighting, they pop in with springs , and if they go you just pull the fixture down and uncouple it to replace it with a new one. I agree with you led replacement bulbs are not as stable as one would think.

House was built in 1959. Original quaker made cabinets. We did a mini makeover when we moved in 27 years ago - new counter tops (laminate), ceramic flooring, replaced the gas wall oven with an electric double oven..... We kept the separate gas cooktop.

We have talked about remodeling the kitchen or years, but I spent some significant $ the last 2 years building a good sized garage/workshop and replacing (doubling the size) of our concrete driveway. But no use putting it off. I'm retired and wife is likely quitting this summer.

Kitchen prep, cabinet area is 14 by 10, with a separate breakfast area, and I'm not planning on moving walls. Sink is in the center of an 8' window, dishwasher beside it and refrig across next to entrance door with cooktop and microwave above across from sink, so we don't plan on doing much if any rearrangement of the appliances. My initial ideas are to install larger (higher) cabinets on the inside wall as it has a high bulkhead up to the cathedral ceiling (higher on that wall, the non symmetric center of that part of the house).

But I'm really looking for advice on contractors, experience with installers, cabinet makers, brands, etc. Looking to get quality cabinets, but not going to throw money at it.

I got this started by taking my wife to Home Depot after last Friday's dinner out to look at appliances. She now wants a regular gas range, and she picked out an LG she liked, which was about the only one we looked at that was significantly on sale, 44% off. Yep, it had good ratings. So I went out and bought it yesterday. To be delivered in June due to being backordered. So I need the kitchen done to accommodate the range! Although I can stash it until the project is done.

Made appointments with 2 kitchen remodeling companies, family owned, that a good friend had give them estimates and one of whom did a great job on their kitchen.

I also made an appointment with a designer at Home Depot. Anyone use a big box store, HD or Lowes, and how did it go?

Other advice?
think you know this, but HIGHLY doubtful your remodel will be done by June, unless maybe you meant 2022

Last edited:
I cancelled my project a few years ago, but when I was considering cabinets, HD seemed to have 3-4 different grades of product.
The better grades seemed like very good quality, and I would have been happy to have them installed. I'd never have purchased the cheapest grade of product though

Moved into a house with an awful kitchen design. It had everything crammed into a small area with so much unused space. I spent a full year tweaking my own designs, creating electrical/plumbing drawings and layouts, excel spreadsheets thinking about everything (costs, order of operations, materials). I had a lot of features to play with (removing walls, arched ceilings, wooden beams). I did all the work myself minus the stone countertop install (would have been impossible to do myself anyway). A few takeaways:
- Appliances. Buy a copy of an up to date consumer report. It's not expensive and totally worth it. For example, the top 5 dishwashers are all Bosch. That's clearly the leader.
- Gas cooktop is the way to go. I don't know how I lived without it.
- Cabinets are damn expensive. They were 50% of my budget. I went middle of the road in terms of quality. Skip the Big Box store (HD, Lowes). Find a reputable kitchen designer. Ask around on NextDoor. Your neighbors are honest. Soft close hardware for everything!
- Dimmable undercabinet lighting. It's cheap and easy to run. I used the LED ribbon. It really takes the kitchen to a new level visually in the evening/night time. We always leave it on.
- Splurge on faucets. Almost everyone that comes in your house may use them at some point. We even added a glass rinser.
- As stated above, a wine/beverage fridge accents a room nicely and is unbelievably helpful especially when you have company over.
- Make sure your countertop fill fit into your house HA! Our island was too big that it would not fit into the front door. Had to take it up the 2nd story back double door. Had to disassemble the deck railings for the guys to carry it up the deck stairs. Man were they pissed.

Lastly, take your time thinking about everything! You use your kitchen everyday. Good luck!

Remodelled our kitchen some time ago ... used Cabinet Discounters from Rockville, MD. Decided on Fieldstone Cabinets and granite countertops. Still love what we decided on.

For appliances, they suggested that we look at AJMadison.com ... they carry practically every brand and model imaginable ... to help decide on what to get.

I've just replaced my 50 watt can lights( which i removed) with snap in wafer led lights which produce 13 watts. Drilled 2 additional holes added 2 more lights. Phillips as well as other companies make them. You have a switch on the J- box which allows different levels of lighting, they pop in with springs , and if they go you just pull the fixture down and uncouple it to replace it with a new one. I agree with you led replacement bulbs are not as stable as one would think.

I put the LED wafer lights in the soffit of the detached garage I recently built. So far so good with them, but I don't use them much. I'm not sure the control box for them will be easy to get to if I have one of those fail. After the experience I had with the permanent LED's in the outside wall lights failing, I'll likely stick with the can units with LED flood bulbs in the kitchen ceiling.

The LED decorative wall lights I had already fail have dusk to dawn sensors so I leave them on continuously. When the next one of those fails I'm going to find replacements with replaceable bulbs........

Last edited:
think you know this, but HIGHLY doubtful your remodel will be done by June, unless maybe you meant 2022

Yep, but I needed to purchase the stove to get the $1K off. And it was great that the boss decided on something, with the side benefit that it got me in full speed ahead mode, as we had been talking about the project for years. Just needed something to spark me into action!

Reactions: ClarkstonMark
If you have wallpaper that needs to be removed don't , I repeat, Don't call Lion Jim.
@LionJim
The wallpaper came off like a charm, it really did. The glue residue is kicking my ass, though, so we gave up on that and hired someone.

Someone posted that if the wallpaper is more than ten years or so old, you’re asking for trouble. No kidding. The glue would just not budge. I tried everything short of a propane torch.

I have to admit that I was secretly thrilled that Greg started this thread, thinking that my wallpaper shame would soon recede into posterity. With friends like @Fac...

We did a kitchen renovation in our old house 25 years ago. I did as much as I could and then turned it over to a contractor for cabinet/flooring/appliance install.

I ripped out the entire kitchen. This was a 90 year old house, the electric was outdated and insulation in the walls had settled to almost nothing. Installed a pressed tin ceiling to give the room some 90 year old character, new electric with dedicated circuits for all appliances, wall outlets, lighting, GFIs, etc.. New drywall and bead-board wainscoting.

Would I do this again? No way. In retrospect, I’m not a trained electrician or plumber. I was confident but as the years have rolled by and after watching too many DIY TV shows, safety is paramount in a kitchen. Plus our kitchen was out of order for 4 months, we were grilling and microwaving all that time.

If you have the money, I recommend a qualified contractor.

Good luck with the project.

I'm in the process of designing a new kitchen, and working with this guy.

Main Line Kitchen Design

I suggest you check out his website, as there is a ton of information about the process. He also rates about 100 cabinet makers which is very helpful. Every Friday between 2 and 4 pm you can call their office and he will review any plans you have and give you free advice on your design. There's also a list of kitchen designers he recommends outside the area they work in. He recommends CopperLeaf Design as a reputable designer for the Pittsburgh area. http://www.copperleafdesign.com/ 724-471-4890

Check out his blogs for good info,

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I generally do my own electric work, and for sure we need additional outlets on the Range/Microwave side of the kitchen as there are none on those two short counter areas and one of those counter areas will get somewhat longer due to removal of the wall oven, probably even if we put a pantry in it's place. The switch for the ceiling an is now behind the cooktop, where the stove is likely going, so that will be moved so we don't have to reach over the stove...... Plenty of openings for more circuits in the 220 sub panel I installed some years ago in the basement directly under the kitchen.

Main lighting is 4 can lights with high output LED floodlights which seems to do a good job. The light above the sink is now a short florescent fixture which for sure will be upgraded. May go for some under cabinet lighting as well, but the boss (I mean wife) will make that call......
Go with undercabinet LED's you will not be disappointed. Light above the cabinets can add a nice ambiance for little money. Go with 42" upper cabinets. Even though you and your wife probably cannot reach the upper cabinets they look better and are good for storing all of the kitchen stuff you never use but cannot get rid of. Go with what you like as opposed to what is popular now, unless you plan on selling soon, which does not seem to be the case.

I'm in the process of designing a new kitchen, and working with this guy.

Main Line Kitchen Design

I suggest you check out his website, as there is a ton of information about the process. He also rates about 100 cabinet makers which is very helpful. Every Friday between 2 and 4 pm you can call their office and he will review any plans you have and give you free advice on your design. There's also a list of kitchen designers he recommends outside the area they work in. He recommends CopperLeaf Design as a reputable designer for the Pittsburgh area. http://www.copperleafdesign.com/ 724-471-4890

Check out his blogs for good info,
I went here about 2 years before our remodel. While he does some quality work, he lacks a bit of creativity. I have an abnormal shaped kitchen. He was so set on plug and play cabinets, that the design he gave us wasted so much square footage and usable space.

*Just want to point out that this was my experience here. Based on his awards, he clearly does good work. That's one of the reasons why we originally went. Just didn't work out well for us.

Last edited:

Other advice?
Beware of LG. They make really good stuff but service can be bad. Here in Western Pa ,the service comes out of Ohio. Check where it is in your area.

I went here about 2 years before our remodel. While he does some quality work, he lacks a bit of creativity. I have an abnormal shaped kitchen. He was so set on plug and play cabinets, that the design he gave us wasted so much square footage and usable space.

*Just want to point out that this was my experience here. Based on his awards, he clearly does good work. That's one of the reasons why we originally went. Just didn't work out well for us.
Interesting. I haven’t experienced that - yet. We’re still designing our kitchen.

I'd go with someone whose work you have seen, #1.

Cabinet quality is all over the map, and drawer construction is usually the giveaway- look for solid wood drawers, not just the fronts. I look for dovetails, but properly doweled drawer boxes are just as solid. Quality hinges and self closing drawer glides are features of any real quality cabinet.

Without seeing your floorplan, I can't offer specifics, but consider both taller and standard height wall cabs arranged to highlight the space- and possibly one or two deeper wall cabs as well or as an alternative. And as others have said, lighting makes all the difference.

Go with undercabinet LED's you will not be disappointed. Light above the cabinets can add a nice ambiance for little money. Go with 42" upper cabinets. Even though you and your wife probably cannot reach the upper cabinets they look better and are good for storing all of the kitchen stuff you never use but cannot get rid of. Go with what you like as opposed to what is popular now, unless you plan on selling soon, which does not seem to be the case.
I'd go with someone whose work you have seen, #1.

Cabinet quality is all over the map, and drawer construction is usually the giveaway- look for solid wood drawers, not just the fronts. I look for dovetails, but properly doweled drawer boxes are just as solid. Quality hinges and self closing drawer glides are features of any real quality cabinet.

Without seeing your floorplan, I can't offer specifics, but consider both taller and standard height wall cabs arranged to highlight the space- and possibly one or two deeper wall cabs as well or as an alternative. And as others have said, lighting makes all the difference.

Nope, we have been where we are for 27 years, and even though the taxes in Allegheny county are high, I planned for that as well as to be here until we can't stay on our own. I also just built a large detached garage / workshop and plan to enjoy it for as long as possible. I would be OK with a more high end style and appliances, but my wife just wants to keep it simple. So outside of getting a great looking kitchen and making some points with the boss, I'll be happy with more refrigerator space for beer and easier access, as well as some electrical upgrades.......

All our upper cabinets are 33" tall, but only 15 inches above the counters, and I have been told the standard is 18" of space below the cabinets. The sink side of the kitchen has zero ceiling height extra due to the slope of the cathedral ceiling so I guess we'll go with 30" cabinets on that side of the kitchen in the remodel. Not a big deal as there is an 8' wide window in the sink area anyway. But we (I) plan to dig into the 3+ foot bulkhead in the inside wall to put in taller cabinets, even though my wife doesn't want to since she is 1+ foot shorter than I am..... I also plan to explore shallow depth cabinets to replace the mini wall that supports the counter island that serves as a small bar/eating area where we have 2 stools currently.

Our current, small pantry is only 15" wide and 13" deep, so if we replace part of the wall oven space with a full depth pantry we will gain significant storage by the switch.

Thanks for the responses.

If you have the tools and the time, you could consider building your own cabinets. It sounds daunting, but in the end, it’s just building boxes.

Reactions: sluggo72
If you have the tools and the time, you could consider building your own cabinets. It sounds daunting, but in the end, it’s just building boxes.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm pretty worn out from all the work I took on to finish my new garage/workshop, and I still have a few jobs there to finish (large compressor install including distribution manifold design, build and install, car lift purchase and install,....). So outside of some electrical work I'm not taking on any of the kitchen remodeling work, let alone building cabinets.

Life is too short and the golf courses need players!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm pretty worn out from all the work I took on to finish my new garage/workshop, and I still have a few jobs there to finish (large compressor install including distribution manifold design, build and install, car lift purchase and install,....). So outside of some electrical work I'm not taking on any of the kitchen remodeling work, let alone building cabinets.

Life is too short and then golf courses need players!
Yep, I hear you there. Figured I’d throw it out there since most people assume it’s beyond their reach.

Some good suggestions here - some not so much. I am currently in the middle of a kitchen remodel myself of a 50's house that the wife (retired) and I downsized to 2 years ago an are renovating. One of the aspects we considered was that at our age (58/59) is the value/use equation as we didn't want to spend too much on cabinets or the latest trends unless it was something we really wanted/would get great use from. We had to apply this across all of the potential items on our renovation list. While cabinets are a large part of the budget and have a major impact on the budget/design - items like sinks/faucets, countertops, and appliances will shock you as they round out the entire package.

As a design professional on the commercial side - here are a couple of suggestions i hope you find helpful.
  1. Purchase your appliances separate from the cabinets. Get what you want, but be careful to avoid the latest "fads" and only but what you need/will use.
  2. For cabinets and the overall design - find a good local cabinet company/kitchen shop (stay away from the big-boxes) with a designer (NKKB is the certification to look for, but not required) that you are comfortable working with. When choosing - look at reviews and also completed project examples. Ask for references!
  3. Minimize the number of total "boxes" that are in your cabinet package, and be realistic with the "features" you actually need and will use. Focus on cabinet construction (wood if you can afford) and hardware (blum if available) and finish of doors/fronts.
  4. Schedule - be flexible, and patient. Unless you can find a package to buy off a showroom floor, you are already going to miss your June deadline. Most cabinet mfg's. are 7-10 weeks lead time ight now, and it will only get worse as summer approaches. You are going to be living with this new Kitchen the rest of your lives (sounds weird - I know) so take a little longer to get it right.
  5. Consider porcelain countertop material as an alternative to any stone (granite/marble/quartz) product.
  6. LED's for any lighting. The wafers are a very stable product. A big assumption here, but the problems you had were more related to the quality of the product for the exterior fixtures. Unless you are buying commercial grade fixtures and/or going through a lighting store - the led exterior fixtures you can get online or at the box stores are pretty cheaply made. For those it is best to stay with a fixture that you can use a replaceable led bulb and not the hard install panels.
  7. Floors - LVT without ever looking back. Have lived with a tile floor in kitchen of previous house for 30 years and anything and everything you drop on them you can plan on replacing. A decent priced quality LVT typically comes with a backing for cushion/acoustics.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.!

Some good suggestions here - some not so much. I am currently in the middle of a kitchen remodel myself of a 50's house that the wife (retired) and I downsized to 2 years ago an are renovating. One of the aspects we considered was that at our age (58/59) is the value/use equation as we didn't want to spend too much on cabinets or the latest trends unless it was something we really wanted/would get great use from. We had to apply this across all of the potential items on our renovation list. While cabinets are a large part of the budget and have a major impact on the budget/design - items like sinks/faucets, countertops, and appliances will shock you as they round out the entire package.

As a design professional on the commercial side - here are a couple of suggestions i hope you find helpful.
  1. Purchase your appliances separate from the cabinets. Get what you want, but be careful to avoid the latest "fads" and only but what you need/will use.
  2. For cabinets and the overall design - find a good local cabinet company/kitchen shop (stay away from the big-boxes) with a designer (NKKB is the certification to look for, but not required) that you are comfortable working with. When choosing - look at reviews and also completed project examples. Ask for references!
  3. Minimize the number of total "boxes" that are in your cabinet package, and be realistic with the "features" you actually need and will use. Focus on cabinet construction (wood if you can afford) and hardware (blum if available) and finish of doors/fronts.
  4. Schedule - be flexible, and patient. Unless you can find a package to buy off a showroom floor, you are already going to miss your June deadline. Most cabinet mfg's. are 7-10 weeks lead time ight now, and it will only get worse as summer approaches. You are going to be living with this new Kitchen the rest of your lives (sounds weird - I know) so take a little longer to get it right.
  5. Consider porcelain countertop material as an alternative to any stone (granite/marble/quartz) product.
  6. LED's for any lighting. The wafers are a very stable product. A big assumption here, but the problems you had were more related to the quality of the product for the exterior fixtures. Unless you are buying commercial grade fixtures and/or going through a lighting store - the led exterior fixtures you can get online or at the box stores are pretty cheaply made. For those it is best to stay with a fixture that you can use a replaceable led bulb and not the hard install panels.
  7. Floors - LVT without ever looking back. Have lived with a tile floor in kitchen of previous house for 30 years and anything and everything you drop on them you can plan on replacing. A decent priced quality LVT typically comes with a backing for cushion/acoustics.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.!
Interesting post. What are your thoughts on porcelain v. quartz?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT