ADVERTISEMENT

Advice needed for neighbor issue

republion

Mar 24, 2009
I had someone in my neighborhood call in a complaint of a code violation a few hours into starting a project. The project was started on a Saturday and finished the same day. The code enforcement agent came first thing Monday morning, checked for the “reported violation” and found I was in compliance with code.
I think I know who called it in and would like to find out. It was reported anonymously so the city couldn’t tell me anything. I want to approach my neighbor and ask if he or anyone in his household did it. But I want to ask in a manner that most likely gets me an honest reply (although I won’t know if it’s an honest reply), but still want to ask in a manner that gives the best chance for an honest reply.
Any suggestions?

I had someone in my neighborhood call in a complaint of a code violation a few hours into starting a project. The project was started on a Saturday and finished the same day. The code enforcement agent came first thing Monday morning, checked for the “reported violation” and found I was in compliance with code.
I think I know who called it in and would like to find out. It was reported anonymously so the city couldn’t tell me anything. I want to approach my neighbor and ask if he or anyone in his household did it. But I want to ask in a manner that most likely gets me an honest reply (although I won’t know if it’s an honest reply), but still want to ask in a manner that gives the best chance for an honest reply.
Any suggestions?
take the W.

there is no good in what you are suggesting you do. Someone called in a complaint and their complaint was determined to be BS. Take the W and leave it alone. Any further action threatens and ongoing "hatfield and mcCoy" situation that will serve no purpose. They were wrong and you were right.

absolute-win-hulk.gif

take the W.

there is no good in what you are suggesting you do. Someone called in a complaint and their complaint was determined to be BS. Take the W and leave it alone. Any further action threatens and ongoing "hatfield and mcCoy" situation that will serve no purpose. They were wrong and you were right.

absolute-win-hulk.gif
Agreed. Take the W....if you want to make your displeasure known, get caught giving them knowing looks, or within ear shot, make comments passive aggressive comments about the anonymous jerk neighbor that erroneously called in a code violation and didn't have the decency to talk to you.

take the W.

absolute-win-hulk.gif
Well that’s the high road. I’m looking for a back country dirt road. 😂

Any suggestions?
The project was completed in one day and you were found to be in compliance with code. Forget about it and move on.

on a similar note, at a local community meeting regarding a shared area that is going to have to be renovated (and substantially higher annual fees) a guy that has been doing two years of volunteer work on the project was accused of being "elitest" and "disenfranchising" families that can't afford the higher fees. After spending several hours on the issue, we all just decided to pretend it was never said...not even address it. why give it oxygen to live?

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Any suggestions?
12 gauge
both barrels........

Any suggestions?
I have discovered that the people who call the authorities for code violations are usually the same people who don't return their carts in the grocery store parking lots. I.E. They are in the bottom 1% of society.

Any suggestions?
when we lived in Ga we were in a "historical district" that had very restrictive rules about what you could and could not do to your house and property. And a very long and onerous application process. It was a very common occurrence for people to have major work done on Memorial and Labor Day weekends as code enforcement was closed, and come Tuesday morning if anyone called them the work was already done. People on my street had windows replaced, trees cut down, retaining walls built , etc all over 3 day weekends.

Last edited:
...and what if he has a Ring security camera?

never argue with stupid people: they drag you down to their level and win with experience.
It's Halloween, so you would probably wear a mask. Also, the house has windows on the side where there probably isn't a ring camera.

Also, I was just kidding. :cool:

Any suggestions?
I have to agree with all of the pacifists that have responded. From my own experience in the ongoing 20 year feud with my neighbor (who also happens to be an obnoxious Hawkeye fan) I wish I could go back and do things to defuse the situation (mostly about dogs and noise). These situations rarely have a winner so for you to have the outcome that you did is great!

Any suggestions?

Go apologize to him for making such a racket. He's not worried about the code violation, he's angry about something else. Either you're an asshole neighbor or he didn't like your project. Either way, an apology will help and you might make a friend through the process.

I have an ahole neighbor who has complained to how about my garage door being open too long, a car with it's backend not completely inside the curb, accused my dog of pooping in his side lawn, the dog barking at a worker or alligator or bird, making too much noise while having a pool party on a holiday afternoon.
Mulch was stolen from the builder and another neighbor caught him with his garage door open and a big pile of mulch bags in the garage and got pictures. They also had dog barking complaints filed against him.
Homeowners are according to hoa not allowed to mess with the irrigation system. He would randomly turn on the irrigation to the point I could not get in the car without getting wet. I caught him messing with sprinkler heads and got pictures which I am holding for future.
When they first moved in we had them over twice for events. We have never been asked inside their house and only once or twice saw others enter their house.
He is known as the ankle of the block.

Reactions: bison13
I have an ahole neighbor who has complained to how about my garage door being open too long, a car with it's backend not completely inside the curb, accused my dog of pooping in his side lawn, the dog barking at a worker or alligator or bird, making too much noise while having a pool party on a holiday afternoon.
Mulch was stolen from the builder and another neighbor caught him with his garage door open and a big pile of mulch bags in the garage and got pictures. They also had dog barking complaints filed against him.
Homeowners are according to hoa not allowed to mess with the irrigation system. He would randomly turn on the irrigation to the point I could not get in the car without getting wet. I caught him messing with sprinkler heads and got pictures which I am holding for future.
When they first moved in we had them over twice for events. We have never been asked inside their house and only once or twice saw others enter their house.
He is known as the ankle of the block.
This is similar to him. He doesn’t do all the physical stuff you described, but things like calling code enforcement or fighting you on certain requests is his thing. And him and his wife look down on everyone as if they are superior. They are known as the killjoys of the neighborhood.

This is similar to him. He doesn’t do all the physical stuff you described, but things like calling code enforcement or fighting you on certain requests is his thing. And him and his wife look down on everyone as if they are superior. They are known as the killjoys of the neighborhood.
Interestingly, he has a very nice house and pool. I have never in two years seen him in the pool or visitors in the pool.
We were in our house several months before they moved in. We would periodically check how things were going with construction at their request. My wife thinks he doesn't think we did a good enough job for him.
If I ever talk to him again, I may ask if he ever got that toilet fixed. He says what toilet? I say when we were doing an inspection for him I took a massive dump in the master bedroom bath and it didn't flush right.

• Haha
Reactions: republion
Go apologize to him for making such a racket. He's not worried about the code violation, he's angry about something else. Either you're an asshole neighbor or he didn't like your project. Either way, an apology will help and you might make a friend through the process.
Say What?

If I ever talk to him again, I may ask if he ever got that toilet fixed. He says what toilet? I say when we were doing an inspection for him I took a massive dump in the master bedroom bath and it didn't flush right.
Should've done an upper decker on him.

Any suggestions?
Explore why you want to know the information and what does that information do to improve your life.

Try getting comfortable with not knowing, not asking around, and not mentioning it to anybody, and feel the absolutely awesome power that comes with that.

Any suggestions?
Let it go--nothing good comes from knowing. If you think you know trust your gut and consider you're "relationship/friendship" with that person knowing that. Asking is pointless.

Any suggestions?
I would approach it subtly like Cartman and Butters:

• Haha
A former neighbor is a tradesman who largely built his own massive house with the help of other buddies who were contractors. One evening during the construction process he and his brother in law were moving stuff around in the foundation when a needledick neighbor who didn't know they were there was caught measuring his setbacks.

My buddy flipped out on the genius with the pocketprotector (literal MIT PhD nerd). Luckily his brother in law was an NYC cop who diffused the situation and then kindly let the nosy neighbor know to NEVER set foot on or near the property again.

I happen to like both parties, but sided with the guy building. If you've got an issue be upfront and honest about it. In your case- take the W and never trust again. Do me wrong once...shame on you. Twice= shame on me.

But not worth fighting about...you won!

If you want to know the truth, but you're not sure if he will tell you the truth, then ask him this question: if I were to ask your brother if you phoned in the complaint, what would he tell me?

Great advice from the all knowing board today. Unfortunately, several people in the neighborhood already know that code enforcement was at my house as they saw him knock on my door and his “code enforcement” truck parked in my driveway.
As my project is visible to all passerby’s, it didn’t take much to realize why I was being visited.
And everyone assumes it’s the guy I think it is who called it in. But I’ve decided to let it go and not seek additional knowledge. I’ve been the bigger neighbor for the better part of 20 years and will continue to be. At some point though, you start to have your fill and want to call him out to his face to let him know we are aware of his dickheadedness.

I know this thread is about Republion's neighbor issue but I had one that I hoped people would weigh in on as well. You see, I have this neighbor who was adding on to his house and I'm fairly certain that it is a code issue. So I called code enforcement and saw out of my window that they did show up, but they didn't seem to do anything. What are my next steps? I mean, I can't just let this guy have this new addition that we didn't put on our house and now even some of my neighbors are suspicious of who might have called code enforcement out there. Thanks for the advice!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT