ADVERTISEMENT

AD Sandy Barbour comments on future of Beaver Stadium...

Aug 8, 2010
Penn State athletics director Sandy Barbour joined Jerry Fisher, Travis Johnson, Jourdan Rodgrigue and I on WBLF "Zone Coverage" this evening from Otto's Pub and Brewery. Among the conversation was the future of Beaver Stadium. When the time comes, Barbour said, she ideally would like to see Penn State renovate the existing structure, instead of building anew. But there is currently a study underway to determine which will be most cost effective.

Fisher asked Barbour about her plans – "I hear you want to build a new stadium. What's the story," he said – and here is her response:

"I'm so glad to have the opportunity to answer this question," she said. "I think as most folks know one of the overarching big-picture things that we've done is commission a facilities master plan, which a big part of that is going to be Beaver Stadium and addressing, for the most part, fan needs in Beaver Stadium. Lets face it. Our student athletes – our football program – has the nicest turf, the nicest field in all of college football. So, they're well taken care of there, but we have to address technology needs, we need to address concession stands and the ability to provide more of a variety of food. Restrooms, concourse width, accessibility, elevators – those kinds of things – seating options. The question is – and this is why the master plan is so important – what are our options in doing that? What are the best way to address those needs, to bring more value to our fans. What are the best ways to do those and then what are the price tags going to be on those? How much are those going to cost?

"Obviously, the two options are to do it in Beaver Stadium; do it in the current Beaver Stadium and renovate. Or build a new stadium. I certainly hope that the answer is that it's cost effective and that we are able to address the needs in the current Beaver Stadium. But again, that's where we're doing our due diligence. We're doing the responsible thing and undertaking a study that among a number of other things – because there are other facilities involved – that will help form the Beaver Stadium decision."

Fisher: So you're leaning toward keeping it as it is and improving it?

"That would absolutely be my preference. There's no doubt about it – for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is history and tradition."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News