ADVERTISEMENT

About the ban on profanity

Leo Ridens

Jun 2, 2001
I am currently bogged down in Volume III of Edward Gibbon's unabridged VII Volume "History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" (I know, weird, but I like "Big History"). I mention this because Gibbon writes all his bawdy footnotes in Latin to spare those of delicate sensitivities. With that in mind, I offer a link to the basics of Latin profanity:

Te futueo et caballum tuum!

It has all you need to express yourself and not violate the letter (if not the spirit) of the No Profanity rule which bans, "...using abbreviations or changing one letter* of a swear word such that the word(s) are still interpreted by most* as profane", and while doing so you get to add a bit of erudition, or at least its appearance, to the board. This also tests our new Publisher's sense of humor, which I am sure is both keen and tolerant.

*Emboldened for emphasis

Reactions: Uh Clem
It has all you need to express yourself and not violate the letter (if not the spirit) of the No Profanity rule which bans, "...using abbreviations or changing one letter* of a swear word such that the word(s) are still interpreted by most* as profane", and while doing so you get to add a bit of erudition, or at least its appearance, to the board. This also tests our new Publisher's sense of humor, which I am sure is both keen and tolerant.

*Emboldened for emphasis
Well that’s BS. Oops.

• Haha
Reactions: psu00 and bison13
I am currently bogged down in Volume III of Edward Gibbon's unabridged VII Volume "History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" (I know, weird, but I like "Big History"). I mention this because Gibbon writes all his bawdy footnotes in Latin to spare those of delicate sensitivities. With that in mind, I offer a link to the basics of Latin profanity:

*Emboldened for emphasis
When you finish you should read jaroslav pelikan’s The Christian Tradition, a six volume history of doctrine.

I am highly opposed to profanity bans. Sometimes the intensity of communication is just as important as it’s content, particularly on a message board.

Are you allowed to say “Ficken”?

4f07ja.png

*Emboldened for emphasis
Only those who have no command of the English language use profanity.

Reactions: GTACSA
I find it very strange that profanity is prohibited on a Penn State football board when the PA system at Penn State Beaver Stadium plays a song during football game pregame in which the ‘singer’ clearly says “What the F was that” ....except he says the full word not just f. And this is part of the refrain which is repeated several times throughout the song. I even saw players clowning around to this song and word during their pregame drills.

So the football PA system routinely drops f bombs with the stadium full of people including thousands of young children. And that is not only ok but apparently it is the cool thing to do.

A very sad and strange world we live in........😥

When you finish you should read jaroslav pelikan’s The Christian Tradition, a six volume history of doctrine.

I am highly opposed to profanity bans. Sometimes the intensity of communication is just as important as it’s content, particularly on a message board.

If someone is unable to communicate in an intense manner without using profanity, perhaps they should try and elevate their communication skills.

Take it fwiw:

Study finds links between swearing and honesty

As a Jersey boy, I swear profusely when playing basketball and sometimes during golf. But it's always out of frustration; never malicious or directed at someone. Although the guys I've been playing with for like 15 years all know and accept it, I'm trying to use other words/phrases such as "son of a vondruke," "fargin," and mother without anything after it.

*Emboldened for emphasis
I find the ban on profanity profane!

I don’t need any damn moderators evaluating my freedoms of expression, and telling me what I can and cannot say. And what I choose to watch. I had two wives for that. If I want more ridiculous, heavy handed, emasculating censorship I’ll just get married again. By the way, do any posters have an extremely wealthy ( and terminally ill ) female friend looking for a nice guy? 🤩😇

I don’t need any damn moderators evaluating my freedoms of expression, and telling me what I can and cannot say. And what I choose to watch. I had two wives for that. If I want more ridiculous, heavy handed, emasculating censorship I’ll just get married again. By the way, do any posters have an extremely wealthy ( and terminally ill ) female friend looking for a nice guy? 🤩😇
Yes, as a matter of fact. How are you with bed pans?

Reactions: Leo Ridens
My movie heroes didnt put Bugs Bunny dynamite fruit under Moussalini's make-up chair for us to be speaking Latin my friend. Roman Empire, Caesar Achullius, Pope X Chilly Paulens zzzzzzzzz

Reactions: The Spin Meister
My movie heroes didnt put Bugs Bunny dynamite fruit under Moussalini's make-up chair for us to be speaking Latin my friend. Roman Empire, Caesar Achullius, Pope X Chilly Paulens zzzzzzzzz
Who needs profanity when you have this......

Perhaps we need to adopt the Roman Moronie approach to expressing ourselves:

Reactions: bdgan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT