ADVERTISEMENT

Abdul Carter

You gotta do something to discipline him unless the account we are reading is totally wrong and Carter was completely in the right. I doubt that was the case. You do nothing then you just perpetuate the fact that these football players are total privileged prima donnas and can do anything without discipline from the program.
You gotta do something to discipline him unless the account we are reading is wrong and the tow op never picked up a large metal bar and made physical threats to a student. You do nothing then you just perpetuate the fact that the predatory tow companies can do anything to threaten students with impunity from the law.

Posters here want to subject Carter to double jeopardy punishment from his (rightful) charge with the law and a separate punishment from the team. But mostly you all have excused AN ADULT threatening A STUDENT with A LARGE METAL BAR escalating a non-violent misunderstanding into a violent incident? So the student gets double jeopardy and the tow op that threatened his life gets immunity from the law that he broke?

Also Carter has had his name drug through the mud by the media and will continue to do so through draft day 2025. Meanwhile this tow op that threatened him with a deadly weapon is getting off with no charges and remains anonymous to continue to make terroristic threats at other students around campus.

Last edited:
There is no paying for parking option for a non-resident at this apartment complex. You either are a resident and have a permit or you are not a resident and do not have a permit. It's not like there are metered spots for which he opted not to pay.

It's a newer apartment complex off campus not near any others and there isn't even any on street parking there.

Then you don't park there unless you are willing to risk the consequences. Very simple.

Is this your property? You seem to know a lot about it.

Posters here want to subject Carter to double jeopardy punishment from his (rightful) charge with the law and a separate punishment from the team. But mostly you all have excused AN ADULT threatening A STUDENT with A LARGE METAL BAR escalating a non-violent misunderstanding into a violent incident? So the student gets double jeopardy and the tow op that threatened his life gets immunity from the law that he broke?

If this were 10 years ago, without a doubt Carter would likely be punished and nobody would blink an eye. In the current money flush, win-at-all-costs college football landscape of today people are turning their heads because it hurts the on field winning prospect.

People who break laws tend to get in trouble at their work place for their actions. It's not uncommon and it's not squarely boxed in as 100% fair nor 100% unfair. I seem to remember you wanting Hartline to face repercussions for his drunk SxS incident harshly and as adamant as your tow truck driver posting. If you are going to be so adamant, at least be consistent.

What part of using one's forearm to block a person from getting in their work vehicle do you not comprehend as violent? And again, if the tow truck driver is deemed as going beyond what he should have, he will be charged. Call the officers, the prosecutor, make your voice heard. Maybe they didn't view it through your lens.

Maybe they did and still determined "this guy grabbed a pipe to scare off Carter and he ends up with broken ribs." And determined that he didn't swing it, and was then attacked. Do you break laws and then attack people who try to defend themselves? Sounds like you support it.

The worst part of this is future situations. Tow truck guys in SC probably will start carrying a gun. Our next athlete who thinks it's OK to park illegally and then throw a fit ends up shot, perhaps dies. That'll be a good story for message board topics eh?

Reactions: bourbon n blues
There is no paying for parking option for a non-resident at this apartment complex. You either are a resident and have a permit or you are not a resident and do not have a permit. It's not like there are metered spots for which he opted not to pay.

It's a newer apartment complex off campus not near any others and there isn't even any on street parking there.

And none of the argument against the rightly charged Carter absolves the tow op from taking a non-violent misunderstanding and turning it violent by picking up a big metal bar and making threat of bodily harm to a student. That is also a crime and must be charged or State College government and the university don't care at all about student safety.
Good to know. Regardless, Carter was illegally parking

Mostly agree but PSU football grew in popularity amongst fans in part because of Paterno's grand experiment, that quality academics and quality athletics could both exist without sacrificing one for the other. Fans took a lot of pride in that.

But times have changed and academics are no longer much of a concern.
And PSU fans have changed as well as is shown on this board often.

I've been around the block and I became a huge Penn State fan because of Joe Paterno and what he stood for and in turn what the program stood for. Those days are long gone. If we are playing semi pro now anyway and no one really cares about discipline than just play him.
I think he acted like a punk and a thug and he used his physical prowess to try and control and intimidate the tow truck driver. That said we have no reputation now anymore thanks to Penn State so who cares.
You don’t really know what happened, so to say all that stuff about how he acted is a bit premature. Let the case play out and then see how it’s handled…I’m not sure why as a society we have to make instant decisions and judgments without all the facts.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Then you don't park there unless you are willing to risk the consequences. Very simple.

If this were 10 years ago, without a doubt Carter would likely be punished and nobody would blink an eye. In the current money flush, win-at-all-costs college football landscape of today people are turning their heads because it hurts the on field winning prospect.

People who break laws tend to get in trouble at their work place for their actions. It's not uncommon and it's not squarely boxed in as 100% fair nor 100% unfair. I seem to remember you wanting Hartline to face repercussions for his drunk SxS incident harshly and as adamant as your tow truck driver posting. If you are going to be so adamant, at least be consistent.

What part of using one's forearm to block a person from getting in their work vehicle do you not comprehend as violent? And again, if the tow truck driver is deemed as going beyond what he should have, he will be charged. Call the officers, the prosecutor, make your voice heard. Maybe they didn't view it through your lens.

Maybe they did and still determined "this guy grabbed a pipe to scare off Carter and he ends up with broken ribs." And determined that he didn't swing it, and was then attacked. Do you break laws and then attack people who try to defend themselves? Sounds like you support it.

The worst part of this is future situations. Tow truck guys in SC probably will start carrying a gun. Our next athlete who thinks it's OK to park illegally and then throw a fit ends up shot, perhaps dies. That'll be a good story for message board topics eh?
We have 4 kids in the extended family that have been at UP over the last few years. I know State College and apartment options for kids well and from their perspective.

There is no rational explanation for the driver not calling or allowing time for Carter to call authorities to resolve what was a non-violent misunderstanding. Instead, he tried to flee the scene. When Carter block his entry to drive off, he picked up a deadly weapon and escalated the incident to violence by threatening bodily harm to Carter.

He again tried to flee the scene when Carter backed away from the man threatening him with a deadly weapon. So the guy didn't attack Carter with it but instead got in the truck and tried to flee the scene a 2nd time. That's when Carter pulled him from the vehicle and carried him over to the grass (when the guys ribs were broke trying to hold on to the steering wheel).

Then for a 3rd time the guy tried to flee the scene by running to the truck after he had taken Carter's cell phone. Carter blocked him again.

The dip$hit tow op should have called authorities or allowed Carter. Trying to flee the scene with Carter's property 3 times was dumb. Carter only blocked him from doing this and was rightfully charged. But this tow op has not been charged for the crime of terroristic threat with a deadly weapon which he clearly committed during what was at that point a non-violent misunderstanding that he didn't allow authorities to resolve.

There is no rational explanation for the driver not calling or allowing time for Carter to call authorities to resolve what was a non-violent misunderstanding. Instead, he tried to flee the scene.

I hope you never park illegally and think that you are owed an explanation. It's not fleeing the scene. If it were, we'd have numerous stories about arrested tow truck drivers.

Instead, we have reality tv shows about people getting angry over their poor or uninformed choices to park illegally.

I hope you never park illegally and think that you are owed an explanation. It's not fleeing the scene. If it were, we'd have numerous stories about arrested tow truck drivers.

Instead, we have reality tv shows about people getting angry over their poor or uninformed choices to park illegally.
I'm stunned that the thread is this long. I can't believe how impassioned Edward is about this Abdul situation -- u would think they are related. And he constantly refers to him as a 'student' and using that term to reflect his victimization...it's so ridiculous.

I'm stunned that the thread is this long. I can't believe how impassioned Edward is about this Abdul situation -- u would think they are related. And he constantly refers to him as a 'student' and using that term to reflect his victimization...it's so ridiculous.
So if he’s not a student then there shouldn’t be any punishment by the school or the team.

All facts. I dont even think punishment should occur but Abdul Carter was wrong here.

So if he’s not a student then there shouldn’t be any punishment by the school or the team.

I think the point scriv is making that EC is only referring to Carter as a student for dramatic effect. He doesn't actually give a crap about the students. He hasn't linked any other articles about the plight of SC students being terrorized by tow companies and their weapon brandishing drivers like did all the athlete deaths under his other user name.

Again, if the details of this was Jack Sawyer and Columbus, he'd be demanding jail time with no bail for the ATHLETE at a FOOTBALL FACTORY with no regards for the laws of SOCIETY.

At least that has been his schtik.

Reactions: scrivener
I think the point scriv is making that EC is only referring to Carter as a student for dramatic effect. He doesn't actually give a crap about the students. He hasn't linked any other articles about the plight of SC students being terrorized by tow companies and their weapon brandishing drivers like did all the athlete deaths under his other user name.

Again, if the details of this was Jack Sawyer and Columbus, he'd be demanding jail time with no bail for the ATHLETE at a FOOTBALL FACTORY with no regards for the laws of SOCIETY.

You mean like Michigan fans saying it was just sign stealing and everyone does it? Or FSU fans saying everyone gave away shoes? Or Bama fans saying players at every school got cars? That’s what fans do…well most fans other than PSU “fans” on this board. We have more anti-Franklin posters than PSU fans.

Reactions: lazydave841

So I am not allowed to refer to students as being students?

What is challenging about this board is that someone can type something a dozen times in a thread like I have about Carter being correctly charged and not advocating his response, yet other posters either have the worst reading comprehension imaginable or are so dishonest that they try to describe what you have written as the exact opposite.

The only point of contention that I have had with other posters here has been that the tow driver who took a non-violent confrontation and turned it violent by picking up a large metal bar and making physical threats to (yes, he is despite you not wanting him described this way) a student SHOULD ALSO BE CHARGED. You cannot have tow drivers picking up deadly weapons and threatening students.

Something tells me he has many times, no other reason for his obsession with tow truck drivers

It's similar to those anti-police people who have 15 run ins with the law and multiple arrests. Like "ehh, maybe it's you?"

Of course, I don't advocate for the other extreme in blue line bootlickers either, but I digress.

Reactions: Gitzit

That’s why you call the cops immediately. A person uses a forearm and does not let you in your vehicle, you call the cops.

Something tells me he has many times, no other reason for his obsession with tow truck drivers
Wow, any other clairvoyant visions? Should I make something up to accuse of you since you are so willing to do so to another simply because they have a point of view with which you disagree?

Your false accusation of me doesn't invalidate the point that I've made that the tow op committed a crime by what PA law describes as a terroristic threat with a deadly weapon. It makes you an a$$ that has to resort to attacking someone personally instead of their argument. That's a poor reflection on you, not the person of which you made the false accusation.

Wow, any other clairvoyant visions? Should I make something up to accuse of you since you are so willing to do so to another simply because they have a point of view with which you disagree?

Your false accusation of me doesn't invalidate the point that I've made that the tow op committed a crime by what PA law describes as a terroristic threat with a deadly weapon. It makes you an a$$ that has to resort to attacking someone personally instead of their argument. That's a poor reflection on you, not the person of which you made the false accusation.
Knock yourself out sunshine

An opportunity for JF to show what culture is all about, especially since he references it all the time. Abdul needs to miss playing time -- i.e. at least one game. What he did was calculated and moronic. Doing the offseason penance is nonsense and just shows to the players you can do this stuff and not face punishment. Let's see if JF has some stones for punishing an alpha male on the team.

Right. He needs to clean the stadium and sit for a series vs whatever non conference team

He didn't protect himself, he made a threat with the weapon. He escalated the violence. If you pick up a metal bar and threaten a much more physically dominant young man, then you just increased your odds of a serious beatdown with a metal bar.

Before the threat with the metal bar, it appeared that Carter was merely trying to find a way to pay a drop fee. This guy instead of working for that resolution, kept hooking up the tow and then was going to drive off. Then he threatened a student with a metal tow bar. He was the aggressor here and he was the one that escalated the incident.
That’s not how logic, or the law, works. The driver’s path was blocked to get back in his vehicle and get away. If he reasonably believed he was in fear of imminent bodily harm, he had already been the victim of assault. Grabbing a metal bar after being assaulted, and telling the person to get out of the way and allow you to get out of there (i.e. get away from the assault) is not escalating anything. It’s stopping the assault. It’s leaving the assault. It’s defending one’s self. There’s also the issue of false imprisonment when Carter prevented the driver from leaving in his truck.

And after the tow truck operator successfully got Carter to comply, and as the tow truck driver was leaving, Carter assaulted him again .. this time, physically … so the threat had now been acted upon, showing the reasonableness of the driver’s earlier assumptions.

You keep harping on this tow truck driver doing something illegal - he didn’t. Get over it. And if you ever find yourself in need of legal representation, do yourself a favor and don’t think you’re smart enough to represent yourself … it wouldn’t work out well for you.

Reactions: scrivener
After Carter refused to provide the information, police wrote, the driver resumed the process of hooking up the car for towing. As the driver returned to the tow truck, Carter told him he was going to call 911 and used his forearm to block the driver from getting inside, according to the affidavit.​

The driver, police wrote, grabbed a metal bar off the back of the truck and yelled at Carter to back away, which he did. When the driver got inside the tow truck, witness video showed that Carter wrapped his arms around the man’s abdomen and forcefully pulled multiple times to break his grip from the steering wheel, according to the affidavit.​

According to the article, Carter physically blocked the driver from doing his job (as was contracted for by the parking lot company). The driver told him to "back away". That is not a threat, nor is holding a metal bar a threat. Especially after Carter physically tried to block the driver from doing his duty.

Carter is wrong here, period. he didn't pay for parking and then went off when he couldn't just pay the driver. He screwed up. Instead of taking it like a man, realizing he is suffering the consequences of his poor decision, he got physical. He should apologize, pay the guy's bill, pay him an little sumpin sumpin for his time and settle with the DI for some fine. Done and toasted.
Two things can be true here:

1) Carter was wrong
2) The tow truck driver was also wrong

Brandishing a metal rod and saying "back away" is, in fact, a threat.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio

1) Carter was wrong

well, first, I don't care about the truck driver. So there's that.

But if Carter threatened the driver, as it appears he did when Carter physically blocked his access to the cab of the truck, it was self-defense. He was first threatened by Carter and he responded. I've got no problem with that.

But if Carter threatened the driver, as it appears he did when Carter physically blocked his access to the cab of the truck, it was self-defense. He was first threatened by Carter and he responded. I've got no problem with that.
Again, another lie about Carter. Nowhere in the report does it say that Carter threatened the driver. He "blocked" his entry to driving off with Carter's probably $100k car with his forearm. This is about the 4th or 5th different lie/distortion of Carter's actions that you have made and all are describing Carter as 10x more aggressive than the actual report's language.

Why are you doing this? Do you know the tow op or tow owners? Do you not like black kids? Do you not like football players? There is some reason you keep intentionally slandering Carter here with things that the official report does not say that he did.

Last edited:
Again, another lie about Carter. Nowhere in the report does it say that Carter threatened the driver. He "blocked" his entry to driving off with Carter's probably $100k car with his forearm. This is about the 4th or 5th different lie/distortion of Carter's actions that you have made and all are describing Carter as 10x more aggressive than the actual report's language. Why are you doing this? Do you know the tow op or tow owners?
blocking his entry is a physical threat. you don't have to actually voice a threat, you can threaten by physical movement and activity.

blocking his entry is a physical threat. you don't have to actually voice a threat, you can threaten by physical movement and activity.
It's a threat to the guy driving off with $100k of his property without allowing Carter to call to get the authorities there first to resolve the misunderstanding.

Is locking your doors at night or if not home a physical threat to a burglar? You are blocking entry so as to prevent someone from taking your property.

A threat of physical harm is picking up a large metal bar and shouting at someone. That is a terroristic threat with a deadly weapon according to PA law. THE TOW OP ALSO NEEDS TO BE CHARGED.

Last edited:
It's a threat to the guy driving off with $100k of his property without allowing Carter to call to get the authorities there first to resolve the misunderstanding.

Is locking your doors at night or if not home a physical threat to a burglar? You are blocking entry so as to prevent someone from taking your property.

A threat of physical harm is picking up a large metal bar and shouting at someone. That is a terroristic threat with a deadly weapon according to PA law. THE TOW OP ALSO NEEDS TO BE CHARGED.
First, he was there doing his duty as Carter allegedly was parked illegally. That is not in dispute. Locking a door is NOT physically blocking somebody's access to his vehicle and in the performance of his duty. You can parse this all you want. You are wrong in terms of the law. Could the driver have handled it better? Maybe. But he was under no obligation to do anything other than show up and tow the car. The rest is on Carter.

1) Carter was wrong

Nope, preventing access to his vehicle and preventing him from doing his job puts him in the wrong and can be considered a threat. Also, don't park illegally.

Reactions: jjw165
Yet, another trivial minor incident that is way overblown because an athlete is involved.

There are way more important matters to be concerned about, like the weak Penn State WR room.

This topic is a big yawn over nothing.
Not a "trivial minor incident." A CRIME. Several, in fact. He was parked in a tow zone without (apparently) a permit. Sounds from the description like he assaulted the guy on at least 2 separate occaisions, throwing him to the ground. what mindset causes a guy to park where he is forbiddent to park, then go outside all pissed off because something HE KNEW could happen did happen, then physicllly attack the guy? Sounds like FPP to me. Football Player Priviliege.

Of course, there could be more to it than we know. But I am guessing if there IS more, it does not favor Carter. Grow up, dumbass.

Not a "trivial minor incident." A CRIME. Several, in fact. He was parked in a tow zone without (apparently) a permit. Sounds from the description like he assaulted the guy on at least 2 separate occaisions, throwing him to the ground. what mindset causes a guy to park where he is forbiddent to park, then go outside all pissed off because something HE KNEW could happen did happen, then physicllly attack the guy? Sounds like FPP to me. Football Player Priviliege.

Of course, there could be more to it than we know. But I am guessing if there IS more, it does not favor Carter. Grow up, dumbass.
Agreed. it all starts with illegal parking. From there, Carter had two choices: A) take the punishment, pay the fines and towing fees, and move on or B) make things worse. He chose B. it could have been much worse.

Locally, about ten years ago, two 17-year-old kids got into a fistfight. One kid pushed the other who fell down and hit his head on a curb. He died the next day. Today, that first kid is still in jail.

There is a cable tv series call parking wars. This can be a huge issue, parking illegally and in certain jurisdictions it can be a serious fine and towing. A friend just told me about a case in Portland , Maine, they put a sign on the side of a building that no parking was allowed on that street due to a parade that day. They didn't see it, because they didn't put any notices on the meters. They got towed almost immediately and it cost them $200.00

Here we go. Whenever you disagree with a post, you just resort to name calling like a child.

Clearly, you have chip on your shoulder with some pent up frustration and anger.

I wish you well and hope you get some help.

Reactions: Obliviax
Have him run the steps of Beaver Stadium a few times - that should be enough and get him on the field.

Reactions: Obliviax

And the shooting can be possibly justified due to disparity of force. Say it's a small, older tow truck driver vs a much larger, stronger younger male?

Reactions: lazydave841

Blocking access to the truck is not "threatening".

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Blocking access to the truck is not "threatening".
wrong.

A 6-3 inch chiseled 257 lb professional athlete physically blocks your ability to access your vehicle with his forearm while you are dutifully processing your job and you don't think that is threatening?
Had Carter NOT blocked his access, would he have picked up an iron? Carter caused that with his actions.

there are words and there are actions. Actions are much more meaningful than words.

Here we go. Whenever you disagree with a post, you just resort to name calling like a child.

Clearly, you have chip on your shoulder with some pent up frustration and anger.

I wish you well and hope you get some help.
Sorry, when you are 20 years old and a highly acclaimed athlete for a major university, you gotta leave the barfight mentality behind you. Anyone in Carter's position who cannot see that is a dumbass, and I sure hope that is what Franklin said to him. I would only call someone a dumbass if I cared about him, so if you thought that was about YOU, then there is another failure of understanding you have to correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT