ADVERTISEMENT

Abdul Carter

Nowhere in the report does it state that the tow guy picked up the deadly weapon to defend himself. He picked it up and threatened Carter until he no longer blocked the driver's entry to the vehicle for his attempt to flee the scene with Carter's property.

Do you know this guy or the owners of the tow service personally? I cannot grasp how you are unconcerned with a tow guy in a non-violent situation threatening students with a deadly weapon. I suppose students are disposable, don't have rights, and their safety isn't something that the public should care about.
Sorry. When a six foot three, 250+ lb, ripped guy uses his forearm to block you from entering your vehicle to do what you are legally and rightfully supposed to do, you've been threatened. Picking up a weapon and telling him to back off is defending yourself. Clearly, Carter was the aggressor. The officer and DA rightfully have chosen to let him go.

Sorry. When a six foot three, 250+ lb, ripped guy uses his forearm to block you from entering your vehicle to do what you are legally and rightfully supposed to do, you've been threatened. Picking up a weapon and telling him to back off is defending yourself. Clearly, Carter was the aggressor. The officer and DA rightfully have chosen to let him go.
I disagree. From the report, it says that Carter wanted to call 911 but then the guy tried to get into the truck to drive away. This after Carter was trying to pay the drop fee and unsure why they needed his personal information. It sure seems like the tow guy simply had no patience to wait for authorities to come and explain the authority and process, so he was just going to take off with Carter's property and leave Carter unsure about the authority to do so.

It isn't a threat just to be black, 250+ lbs and ripped. If Carter wanted to threaten the guy, he doesn't block access to the truck door, he threatens the guy directly. Carter blocked the guy's ability to flee the scene which he was clearly trying to do. That isn't a threat.

Picking up a deadly weapon and threatening someone IS a serious threat. It would only be defending yourself if you had already threatened. And it is legally called a terroristic threat with a deadly weapon. The tow driver has to be charged. I'm not sure why you want to dismiss this.

So do you know the tow operator or the tow company owners? You keep avoiding that.

I disagree. From the report, it says that Carter wanted to call 911 but then the guy tried to get into the truck to drive away. This after Carter was trying to pay the drop fee and unsure why they needed his personal information. It sure seems like the tow guy simply had no patience to wait for authorities to come and explain the authority and process, so he was just going to take off with Carter's property and leave Carter unsure about the authority to do so.

It isn't a threat just to be black, 250+ lbs and ripped. If Carter wanted to threaten the guy, he doesn't block access to the truck door, he threatens the guy directly. Carter blocked the guy's ability to flee the scene which he was clearly trying to do. That isn't a threat.

Picking up a deadly weapon and threatening someone IS a serious threat. It would only be defending yourself if you had already threatened. And it is legally called a terroristic threat with a deadly weapon. The tow driver has to be charged. I'm not sure why you want to dismiss this.

So do you know the tow operator or the tow company owners? You keep avoiding that.
meaningless. The tow truck driver may have been a horses ass, but he did not break the law. Carter did, at least twice.

• Carter didn't pay for parking and that is why he was going to be towed
  • Carter tried to pay for the parking but that is like giving the money back after you robbed the bank. The law was already broken. The tow truck driver was under no obligation to take it, in fact, may have not had the ability based on his employment (taking money meant for the owner and pocketing it).
  • Carter said he'd call 911. OK, driver was under no obligation to help out Carter who already broke the law. He is under no obligation to stand around and wait for the police. The car was illegally parked. Carter's problem was not the driver, but the owner of the parking garage. Its like yelling at the checkout clerk about the price of eggs at the checkout line.
  • Carter used his forearm to keep the driver from being able to enter the vehicle, which is the driver's right and responsibility to do his duty
  • The driver then pulled out some kind of bar and told Carter to back off. Given Carter had already threatened they guy by using his arm (a highly trained 6-3, 250 lb athlete) the guy was defending himself. If not for Carter's actions, the driver would have towed the car and no threats would have been made by either party.
  • Carter dragged the guy out of the car and beat him up, at least to the point where he broke ribs.
I literally have no idea where you are coming from. As long as the paper got the facts straight, this is open and shut. The driver may not with a Nobel peace price but he did nothing wrong in the eyes of the law.

Reactions: Lesgo_Brandon
Not absolving Carter, but in what you presented here, the tow driver should make a call to the cops immediately. If you don’t see that, you are being intellectually dishonest. If I was CJF, I would wait for everything to play out before making a judgement.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Not absolving Carter, but in what you presented here, the tow driver should make a call to the cops immediately. If you don’t see that, you are being intellectually dishonest. If I was CJF, I would wait for everything to play out before making a judgement.
What he should have done or shouldn't have done is immaterial. He was called to tow a car that was parked illegally. He, perhaps, could have been nicer. Perhaps he and Carter could have told a few jokes, swapped stories, and had a bite to eat. But the guy was probably on the clock and had other things to do. I don't know. I am only stating how the law would review the situation. In the eyes of the law, they guy was doing what his job compelled him to do. A hot shot kid started trying to keep him from doing his job. The kid got physical. When the cops did get there, they arrested Carter and not the driver. And this is exactly what they, the cops, should have done.

Now, the tow truck driver is also not an entitled and coddled football player. He has no real consequences. Carter will pay a fine, may end up suffering some kind of team penalty, and will have to walk through that night to every NFL team that is looking to draft him. If he handles it right, it will be inconsequential down the road. But if he doesn't apologize and move on, like our TE did, it will cost him.

meaningless. The tow truck driver may have been a horses ass, but he did not break the law. Carter did, at least twice.

• Carter didn't pay for parking and that is why he was going to be towed
  • Carter tried to pay for the parking but that is like giving the money back after you robbed the bank. The law was already broken. The tow truck driver was under no obligation to take it, in fact, may have not had the ability based on his employment (taking money meant for the owner and pocketing it).
  • Carter said he'd call 911. OK, driver was under no obligation to help out Carter who already broke the law. He is under no obligation to stand around and wait for the police. The car was illegally parked. Carter's problem was not the driver, but the owner of the parking garage. Its like yelling at the checkout clerk about the price of eggs at the checkout line.
  • Carter used his forearm to keep the driver from being able to enter the vehicle, which is the driver's right and responsibility to do his duty
  • The driver then pulled out some kind of bar and told Carter to back off. Given Carter had already threatened they guy by using his arm (a highly trained 6-3, 250 lb athlete) the guy was defending himself. If not for Carter's actions, the driver would have towed the car and no threats would have been made by either party.
  • Carter dragged the guy out of the car and beat him up, at least to the point where he broke ribs.
I literally have no idea where you are coming from. As long as the paper got the facts straight, this is open and shut. The driver may not with a Nobel peace price but he did nothing wrong in the eyes of the law.
You are normally reasonable and honest. But for some reason you have intentionally lied about the facts in the official report multiple times now.

Carter did not beat the guy up. That is 100% a lie.

The report says that he removed the guy from the truck by pulling him around his waist. Then he carried the guy off of the blacktop and threw him onto the grass.

That is not beating him up. If the guy didn't threaten Carter with a deadly weapon first and then try to flee the scene, none of that would have occurred. And still, it appears by the way that Carter didn't throw the guy out of the truck onto the blacktop that Carter was trying to avoid hurting the guy.

In fact, after that they both ran to the truck and the guy picked up Carter's cell phone. So Carter grabbed him again to get the phone back and then let the guy go again. Then a 2nd time blocked the driver from getting into his truck. It is 100% obvious that Carter was only protecting his property and that this guy took his cell phone and was trying to drive off with his car.

Do you know this tow driver or the owner of the tow company? I can't get past how you are excusing the terroristic threat with a deadly weapon, the attempt to try to flee the scene more than once, and multiple times you have now falsely stated the facts in the official report. It really feels like you are trying to cover something up or hide something.

Otherwise, why keep making false statements always erring on making what Carter is reported to have done sound much more thuggish in your account? Carter could have beat the $hit out of this guy with the very metal bar that Carter was threatened with but instead he takes the guy to the grass to drop him. Something is very out of character in your responses. Why have you mischaracterized what Carter did multiple times in the report? Why can't you admit that a terroristic threat to a student with a deadly weapon is a crime and is not rational behavior?

Last edited:
What he should have done or shouldn't have done is immaterial. He was called to tow a car that was parked illegally. He, perhaps, could have been nicer. Perhaps he and Carter could have told a few jokes, swapped stories, and had a bite to eat. But the guy was probably on the clock and had other things to do. I don't know. I am only stating how the law would review the situation. In the eyes of the law, they guy was doing what his job compelled him to do. A hot shot kid started trying to keep him from doing his job. The kid got physical. When the cops did get there, they arrested Carter and not the driver. And this is exactly what they, the cops, should have done.

Now, the tow truck driver is also not an entitled and coddled football player. He has no real consequences. Carter will pay a fine, may end up suffering some kind of team penalty, and will have to walk through that night to every NFL team that is looking to draft him. If he handles it right, it will be inconsequential down the road. But if he doesn't apologize and move on, like our TE did, it will cost him.
Absolutely Carter had to be arrested in this scenario. He crossed the line. The tow truck driver probably owns the company. If he was my employee, he would be fired if he grabbed a tire iron or whatever without being threatened.

I don’t know all the particulars so final judgements come later, but your comments about entitled and coddled athletes is all I need to know. I assume you have met the player in question personally. I am out.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
You are normally reasonable and honest. But for some reason you have intentionally lied about the facts in the official report multiple times now.

Carter did not beat the guy up. That is 100% a lie.

The report says that he removed the guy from the truck by pulling him around his waist. Then he carried the guy off of the blacktop and threw him onto the grass.

That is not beating him up. If the guy didn't threaten Carter with a deadly weapon first and then try to flee the scene, none of that would have occurred. And still, it appears by the way that Carter didn't throw the guy out of the truck onto the blacktop that Carter was trying to avoid hurting the guy.

Do you know this tow driver or the owner of the tow company? I can't get past how you are excusing the terroristic threat with a deadly weapon, the attempt to try to flee the scene, and multiple times you have now falsely stated the facts in the official report. It really feels like you are trying to cover something up or hide something.

Otherwise, why keep making false statements always erroring on making what Carter is reported to have done sound much more thuggish in your account? Carter could have beat the $hit out of this guy with the very metal bar that Carter was threatened with but instead he takes the guy to the grass to drop him. Something is very out of character in your responses. Why have you mischaracterized what Carter did multiple times in the report? Why can't you admit that a terroristic threat to a student with a deadly weapon is a crime and is not rational behavior?
I honestly don't know what world you live in. The tow truck driver had broken ribs.

"The driver went to the hospital for soreness the next day and an X-ray revealed he had a non-displaced rib fracture, police wrote."​
the first person to get physical will lose in court 99 times out of 100. Carter got physical when he used his arm to block the truck cab while the driver was simply trying to execute his job responsibilities. Then, he got physical again which caused the driver to get injured.

Reactions: wilbury
I honestly don't know what world you live in. The tow truck driver had broken ribs.

"The driver went to the hospital for soreness the next day and an X-ray revealed he had a non-displaced rib fracture, police wrote."​
the first person to get physical will lose in court 99 times out of 100. Carter got physical when he used his arm to block the truck cab while the driver was simply trying to execute his job responsibilities. Then, he got physical again which caused the driver to get injured.
The first person to get physical was the tow driver by grabbing a large metal bar and threatening Carter with it. If you consider blocking the access to the door with a forearm physical, how can you not think that making a terroristic threat with a deadly weapon isn't? That act is a significant escalation to violence.

And the guy probably had a rib fracture from his attempt to hold on to the steering wheel while Carter removed him by pulling around the waist. It wasn't from the lie you stated about beating him up. That is 100% not what is in the report.

Do you know this tow op or the owner of the tow company? You have lied repeatedly about Carter's actions in the report always trying to make him out to be much worse than the report states. Why are you doing that?

He didn't because the guy tried to flee the scene with Carter's vehicle. Carter could have called after the guy took off but it would have been too late. The tow driver forced the incident to escalate at every step.
Flee the scene? The guy was doing his job and Carter still could have made the phone call. Sounds like you have an issue with tow truck drivers

The first person to get physical was the tow driver by grabbing a large metal bar and threatening Carter with it. If you consider blocking the access to the door with a forearm physical, how can you not think that making a terroristic threat with a deadly weapon isn't? That act is a significant escalation to violence.

And the guy probably had a rib fracture from his attempt to hold on to the steering wheel while Carter removed him by pulling around the waist. It wasn't from the lie you stated about beating him up. That is 100% not what is in the report.

Do you know this tow op or the owner of the tow company? You have lied repeatedly about Carter's actions in the report always trying to make him out to be much worse than the report states. Why are you doing that?
yeah...ok, I am done. I just picked up a large metal bar. Call the police and have me arrested. And on the rib being broken, you can speculate all you want. Carter's aggression led, on purpose or due to negligence, his injury. that is the textbook version of assault.

Flee the scene? The guy was doing his job and Carter still could have made the phone call. Sounds like you have an issue with tow truck drivers
I have never had an issue with tow drivers. But I know a couple of current students at UP who have been victimized by quick tows. It is aggressive and predatory towing near campus.

In this case, my issue is with a tow op taking a non-violent misunderstanding, grabbing a large metal bar, and threatening to use it on a student who was unsure of the authority or process thus escalating the incident to potentially deadly violence.

And yes, the tow driver tried not once but twice to flee the scene with Carter's property before authorities could arrive and resolve the misunderstanding. That is in the report. The second time the guy ran to the vehicle and picked up Carter's cell phone headed to the door.

yeah...ok, I am done. I just picked up a large metal bar. Call the police and have me arrested. And on the rib being broken, you can speculate all you want. Carter's aggression led, on purpose or due to negligence, his injury. that is the textbook version of assault.
And he was charged. And no one is arguing that he shouldn't be.

The tow driver needs to be charged for picking up a large metal bar and making direct physical threats to Carter. That is illegal. It is called making terroristic threats with a deadly weapon.

And you should be done. You have intentionally mischaracterized Carter's actions several times trying to make them sound significantly worse each time. Why are you dismissing the irrational response of the tow driver? Why are you intentionally trying to make Carter's actions sound worse than the report?

I have never had an issue with tow drivers. But I know a couple of current students at UP who have been victimized by quick tows. It is aggressive and predatory towing near campus.

In this case, my issue is with a tow op taking a non-violent misunderstanding, grabbing a large metal bar, and threatening to use it on a student who was unsure of the authority or process thus escalating the incident to potentially deadly violence.

And yes, the tow driver tried not once but twice to flee the scene with Carter's property before authorities could arrive and resolve the misunderstanding. That is in the report. The second time the guy ran to the vehicle and picked up Carter's cell phone headed to the door.
you miss two things. First, Carter was wrong in illegally parking in the facility. Everything that happened is the fruit of the poison tree which is that crime. Second, the tow truck driver was doing what he was told to do. I am sure that he has been confronted by angry students getting their cars towed on a daily basis. The tow truck driver had zero obligation to take more time and wait until cops arrived. None. Carter is toast on this. It is simply a matter of how bad the punishment is.

I don't care about the tow truck driver. This happens every day of every year. And, Carter has a LOT MORE TO LOSE, than the tow truck driver. In fact, I am willing to bet he walks away with some nice drinking money. Carter, instead of paying a couple of hundred dollars for an Uber and the impound fee, will now be light a lot of money and, potentially, more.

It’s amazing how many of our “fans” on here want him to sit out….almost like you’re hoping we lose. This past season we had an entire coaching staff cheat to get a competitive edge and all they got was a NC out of it…so by all means, let’s suspend a player for a misdemeanor.
Nothing wrong with trying to uphold a higher standard than some of our competitors. That's the sort of thing PSU used to stand for.

There's an awful lot of bickering in this thread about minute details of what happened, all taken from one article. Who knows how factual that article is and it's certainly not going to have enough detail for anyone to know if Carter touched him physically or whatever before the drive grabbed a metal rod. The investigation will play out and then a decision will be made.

Regardless of those details, Carter deserves some sort of internal team punishment. He has to realize as a high profile player and likely first round draft pick he is under a microscope, and his actions represent not just himself but the football program and the university. Even if legally he ends up completely cleared, some sort of in house discipline such as community service, sitting out a quarter/half/game, or whatever, is completely justified. I'd imagine the worst he will face is a one game suspension but I doubt it will even be that severe.

Reactions: scrivener
It’s amazing how many of our “fans” on here want him to sit out….almost like you’re hoping we lose. This past season we had an entire coaching staff cheat to get a competitive edge and all they got was a NC out of it…so by all means, let’s suspend a player for a misdemeanor.
So the only way to be a fan is to support winning at all costs, with no regard for morality?

Carter did not lay hands on him prior to the threat with a deadly weapon. He blocked the guy's entry to the vehicle which a very high percentage of young people trying pay a drop fee would do if the guy ignored his efforts and attempted to drive off with his vehicle (it's not a beater, this is an expensive vehicle).

And in law, you cannot make a threat with a deadly weapon because someone blocks your entry to a vehicle. This tow driver should be charged.
You might want to look up the legal definition of "assault." And then ask yourself what someone is supposed to do when assaulted.

He didn't because the guy tried to flee the scene with Carter's vehicle. Carter could have called after the guy took off but it would have been too late. The tow driver forced the incident to escalate at every step.
Why would it have been too late? You don't think they could have found the tow truck towing his vehicle? Or, if given the name on the side of the truck, the cops couldn't have figured out where it would bring his vehicle?

Nothing wrong with trying to uphold a higher standard than some of our competitors. That's the sort of thing PSU used to stand for.

There's an awful lot of bickering in this thread about minute details of what happened, all taken from one article. Who knows how factual that article is and it's certainly not going to have enough detail for anyone to know if Carter touched him physically or whatever before the drive grabbed a metal rod. The investigation will play out and then a decision will be made.

Regardless of those details, Carter deserves some sort of internal team punishment. He has to realize as a high profile player and likely first round draft pick he is under a microscope, and his actions represent not just himself but the football program and the university. Even if legally he ends up completely cleared, some sort of in house discipline such as community service, sitting out a quarter/half/game, or whatever, is completely justified. I'd imagine the worst he will face is a one game suspension but I doubt it will even be that severe.

Good logic.

I've actually read several different accounts of the incident, which taken together help to fill in some blanks but still leave a few key questions unanswered.

It would appear that Carter asked what was necessary to avoid the vehicle being towed away. He was told he could pay a "drop fee" and went back in the building to (supposedly) get the money.

When Carter came back out, however, he expressed suspicion about whether he was being somehow scammed and demanded the tow operator's credentials. The operator produced documentation showing he was legit.

The tow operator then said Carter had to fill out a form to indicate basic information like his name and address. Carter, for whatever reason, balked. (It's not clear whether he had by then actually obtained the money to pay the drop fee.)

One account says Carter threatened to call 911 at that point. In any case, when he refused to fill out the form, the tow operator resumed the process of removing the vehicle from the premises. It was then that the situation escalated to a physical confrontation between the two men.

I think that legally speaking Carter is in the wrong here and doesn't have much of a defense. But given the circumstances and high potential for the situation to blow up, the tow operator seems also guilty of errors of judgment.

When the dust settles, I'm pretty sure Carter will end up with the equivalent of a slap on the wrist. The tow operator may do OK too. By the way, this is not the first time Carter's been in trouble. Last September he was charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession.

So the only way to be a fan is to support winning at all costs, with no regard for morality?
How about waiting for the case to be worked out and hope for the best instead of screaming for his suspension? I’m not sure this is a morality issue…and if it is, why is a game suspension (or more) the only answer? How about community service where he would actually be doing something good and moral? And maybe if he does get a one game suspension, he should do what other players on other teams have done and appeal it until game two.

Punish him over the summer, there’s no rule that says it has to involve game suspensions. And as far as upholding a higher standard, why do we need to do that? Many on here were all thrilled about players being paid and able to transfer at will, so the days of being a true college program are over, so now it’s just about winning games. Anyone who wanted college football to become this certainly can’t also want to have the Penn State of old, can’t have it both ways.

Reactions: blmr31
If you think we don't need him to beat West Virginia then you are mistaken. This might cost us a game.

So you had the life experience of a 40-year-old when you were in college? I would not have known the authority or process for paying for a drop by a tow company at that age. I have multiple higher degrees in science, but I did not have that life experience at that age.

It is clear that Carter did not either or else why was he trying to pay the drop fee, questioning the process, and saying he would call 911 when the guy was trying to drive off with his easily $50k to $100k or more vehicle without full explanation?

And none of this gives an adult with the life experience, a right to threaten to physically harm a student after midnight with a large metal bar. They both were in the wrong and they both have to be charged. There was no violence until this tow operator threatened violence with a deadly weapon. He's lucky his a$$ wasn't beaten with it. If he had done this to the wrong young man, he would have been beaten possibly to death with the weapon that he used to threaten violence.
How many car thiefs actually us
And the tow driver is also equally totally in the wrong. He escalated the incidence to violence when he took out a deadly weapon and threatened a student. He obviously could have said, let's get local authorities out here if you are unsure of my authority to tow and to reject your offer of paying the drop fee. But instead, he chose to continue to hook the tow and then was trying to drive off while Carter was unsure of his authority to do so.

And again, you cannot have tow drivers threatening students with deadly weapons. Before threatening violence, you get local authorities out to settle the dispute. This is a student safety issue. It's bad enough that these vulters are preying on students with aggressive tows. Ask students at UP that drive if they or someone they know have been towed on very short notice and in unclear situations. These tow companies see the students as a group of naive kids to expoloit. I personally know current students that have been victimized by the

Immaterial. It is pay to park and Carter hadn't paid. He can be mad about it. That is OK. But he can't get physical. The truck driver has broken ribs. At least that is what the article says.

The truck driver was not only threatened by Carter, Carter used physical restraint to disallow him to go back into his property (the truck). the truck driver can easily argue he was defending himself.

If you think we don't need him to beat West Virginia then you are mistaken. This might cost us a game.
If it takes Abdul to beat WVU, we are in a for a long year. And, he should be punished in some form that actually means something...one game...a 1/2 game etc. It's not his first time getting in trouble and JF needs to start getting tougher on these guys -- coaching them on and off the field.

the tow driver should make a call to the cops immediately. If you don’t see that, you are being intellectually dishonest. If I was CJF, I would wait for everything to play out before making a judgement.

Tow drivers deal with pissed off people probably at a minimum of once a day. Do you know of a lot of people beating the tow companies and being reimbursed for them being wrongly towed?

I think it's a predatory profession that probably needs changes, but anybody who defends Carter using his forearm to block a tow guy from entering his work vehicle obviously has never worked a job where you deal with the agitated public or is pissed off at tow company's from their own personal experience.

I don't think that many here are advocating for "punish Carter", but that's primarily because he's one of our 3 best players and many here are willing to turn their head as long as it means wins on the field.

Myself, let the situation play out and punish accordingly.

5 wrongs don't even out and make anything justified, but based on the information available, Carter was responsible for 80% of the wrongs.

Tow drivers deal with pissed off people probably at a minimum of once a day. Do you know of a lot of people beating the tow companies and being reimbursed for them being wrongly towed?

I think it's a predatory profession that probably needs changes, but anybody who defends Carter using his forearm to block a tow guy from entering his work vehicle obviously has never worked a job where you deal with the agitated public or is pissed off at tow company's from their own personal experience.

I don't think that many here are advocating for "punish Carter", but that's primarily because he's one of our 3 best players and many here are willing to turn their head as long as it means wins on the field.

5 wrongs don't even out and make anything justified, but based on the information available, Carter was responsible for 80% of the wrongs.
Not defending Carter, and he should receive punishment. He crossed the line. I agree with let it play out. My point is the job requires working with angry people. Once someone detains you from entering the vehicle, that is when cops should be called period. Does that justify Carter’s actions? No.

Yeah. It’s really not that big of a deal as long as he handles it right from now on. But it all stems from him not paying for parking and then getting mad from there.

Reactions: lazydave841
I didn't feel what way? I thought Paterno was too strict with his decisions regarding players but also inconsistent--see Zordich. I can disagree with Franklin, like I did with Paterno, while still comprehending it is his team and his decision.
Back in Paterno's day the coach determined what kind of disciplinary action seemed appropriate. I'm sure that some coaches cut kids some slack because they didn't want to lose them from the team. I also believe that Paterno was better than most coaches in that respect. He didn't seem overly patient with Austin Scott even though rape charges were dismissed. He was much more lenient with Rashard Casey whose charges were also ultimately dismissed. My guess is that he made his decisions based on the player's behavior history and how credible the kid's side of the story was.

Tripony was like a typical administrator who thinks they know better than the coaches and they get pissed when their authority is challenged. Joe was also probably stubborn because he thought he knew the players better than she did. The administrators have more authority these days. Same is true for player injuries. The medical staff has to release the players, not the coaches. Things aren't handled like they once were. That might be good and it might be bad but it's reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: LandoComando
Punish him over the summer, there’s no rule that says it has to involve game suspensions. And as far as upholding a higher standard, why do we need to do that? Many on here were all thrilled about players being paid and able to transfer at will, so the days of being a true college program are over, so now it’s just about winning games. Anyone who wanted college football to become this certainly can’t also want to have the Penn State of old, can’t have it both ways.
Some of us expect standards of behavior even for players on our favorite NFL teams. The fact that money is involved doesn't have to make it just about winning games. As fans, we have the final word on whether the NFL punishes bad behavior or not.

Some of us expect standards of behavior even for players on our favorite NFL teams. The fact that money is involved doesn't have to make it just about winning games. As fans, we have the final word on whether the NFL punishes bad behavior or not.
So the only punishment that upholds standards of behavior is game suspensions? And let me know when an NFL team has standards of behavior that involve game suspensions for misdemeanors.

Why though? They're athletes not politicians or anyone that actually impacts us day to day

Last edited:
Why though? They're athletes not politicians or anyone that actually impacts us day to day
So if a guy beats his wife, that's OK, as long as it doesn't impact US? When you can do things like that and still make millions playing football, that sends a message to young people. If you get kicked out of the league for doing it, that also sends a message to young people. It also sends a message to adults who haven't grown up yet.

So the only punishment that upholds standards of behavior is game suspensions? And let me know when an NFL team has standards of behavior that involve game suspensions for misdemeanors.
I didn't say or imply either of those things. Of course there are many forms of punishment, but game suspensions are a great way for a team to stand up for values. The team sacrifices something because contributing to a better society is more important than winning football games. As for the NFL, I didn't say they get it right. Just saying that some fans expect higher standards. Perhaps not enough fans...

So if a guy beats his wife, that's OK, as long as it doesn't impact US? When you can do things like that and still make millions playing football, that sends a message to young people. If you get kicked out of the league for doing it, that also sends a message to young people. It also sends a message to adults who haven't grown up yet.
I don't care what anyone does. Let thr courts handle it. Its the parent's job to raise kids not athletes

I didn't say or imply either of those things. Of course there are many forms of punishment, but game suspensions are a great way for a team to stand up for values. The team sacrifices something because contributing to a better society is more important than winning football games. As for the NFL, I didn't say they get it right. Just saying that some fans expect higher standards. Perhaps not enough fans...
Winning football games has become more important than getting an education or being a student, so I’m going to disagree with you that for a football team values are more important than winning football games and that has come as a result of the fans.

I’m going to disagree with you that for a football team values are more important than winning football games and that has come as a result of the fans.
Mostly agree but PSU football grew in popularity amongst fans in part because of Paterno's grand experiment, that quality academics and quality athletics could both exist without sacrificing one for the other. Fans took a lot of pride in that.

But times have changed and academics are no longer much of a concern.

How many car thiefs actually us

If it takes Abdul to beat WVU, we are in a for a long year. And, he should be punished in some form that actually means something...one game...a 1/2 game etc. It's not his first time getting in trouble and JF needs to start getting tougher on these guys -- coaching them on and off the field.
You gotta do something to discipline him unless the account we are reading is totally wrong and Carter was completely in the right. I doubt that was the case. You do nothing then you just perpetuate the fact that these football players are total privileged prima donnas and can do anything without discipline from the program.

You gotta do something to discipline him... You do nothing then you just perpetuate the fact that these football players are total privileged prima donnas and can do anything without discipline from the program.

Absolutely.

Winning football games has become more important than getting an education or being a student, so I’m going to disagree with you that for a football team values are more important than winning football games and that has come as a result of the fans.
I've been around the block and I became a huge Penn State fan because of Joe Paterno and what he stood for and in turn what the program stood for. Those days are long gone. If we are playing semi pro now anyway and no one really cares about discipline than just play him.
I think he acted like a punk and a thug and he used his physical prowess to try and control and intimidate the tow truck driver. That said we have no reputation now anymore thanks to Penn State so who cares.

Yeah. It’s really not that big of a deal as long as he handles it right from now on. But it all stems from him not paying for parking and then getting mad from there.
There is no paying for parking option for a non-resident at this apartment complex. You either are a resident and have a permit or you are not a resident and do not have a permit. It's not like there are metered spots for which he opted not to pay.

It's a newer apartment complex off campus not near any others and there isn't even any on street parking there.

And none of the argument against the rightly charged Carter absolves the tow op from taking a non-violent misunderstanding and turning it violent by picking up a big metal bar and making threat of bodily harm to a student. That is also a crime and must be charged or State College government and the university don't care at all about student safety.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT