ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Brooks wins Hodge Trophy

Thinking about what Aaron has accomplished brings a couple things to mind.

First, a flashback to the pic of him below formally signing his letter of intent several years ago while at the OTC (I hadn’t taken notice at the time of the other future Lion sitting next to him). We all had high hopes for his PSU career that day but not many of us could’ve predicted just how dominant he would be!

Second, in the YouTube clip below Bo described how extraordinarily hard it is to be successful at the highest levels of college wrestling. Paraphrasing, he said the skill level and hard work separating a great high school wrestler/state champ from a wrestler who makes the team at a D1 school are substantial. The separation between a D1 team member and the starters on that team goes up another level, as does the separation between the starters and those wrestlers who are competitive against other D1 wrestlers. The separation jumps again between those competitive wrestlers and the ones who make it to nationals, then another jump to those who AA, then again to those who become nat’l champs, then again to those who become multi-time champs, and then a final jump to 4-time nat’l champs.

Puts in perspective what Aaron accomplished and why there are so few 4 timers.

"Penn State now with 7 Hodge Trophies, with no other TWO schools combining to have more.

Iowa & Minnesota, and Iowa & Iowa State combined have the same, 7. Ironically, all 3 of Iowa State's are Cael Sanderson's.

Related note: Of the 32 total Hodge Trophy Winners, 9 were won by or coached by Cael."

"Penn State now with 7 Hodge Trophies, with no other TWO schools combining to have more.

Iowa & Minnesota, and Iowa & Iowa State combined have the same, 7. Ironically, all 3 of Iowa State's are Cael Sanderson's.

Related note: Of the 32 total Hodge Trophy Winners, 9 were won by or coached by Cael."
Impressive. Add another 16 PSU finalists who didn’t win in a given year.

Last edited:

Not to be critical, but 7 coached by and 3 won by Cael = 10

On GIA, the Birdman complained how the Hodge was supposed to consider bonus. Of course, AB had the higher bonus rate (90.91% to 89.29%) and the way higher bonus / team points per match (4.95 to 4.36).

(When you check me, be sure to exclude PK’s three non D1 wins.)

On GIA, the Birdman complained how the Hodge was supposed to consider bonus. Of course, AB had the higher bonus rate (90.91% to 89.29%) and the way higher bonus / team points per match (4.95 to 4.36).

(When you check me, be sure to exclude PK’s three non D1 wins.)
Maybe he was making an April Fools joke, or maybe he is just a Fool.

I vote the latter.

What were those 11 voters thinking?

Video of one of them coming back from a long lunch to cast his protest vote for PK. (Or maybe that's just the elder Amine on his way to post more tweets.)

Drunk Fall GIF by Digga D

Reactions: creamery freak
1 and 1/2.
One was awarded without the NCAA tournament which we learned, anything can happen and the other he was allegedly way behind Gable in votes and got a co (not saying he wasn’t deserving but he didn’t win the traditional way)

Reactions: mjmirv
I know he's planning on going the freestyle route but does he have other plans regarding his faith? I could see him going on missions and helping famine stricken areas of the world by using his name recognition to raise money for the neediest of the needy. Kind of a wrestling version of Roberto Clemente but with a much happier ending.

Personally I do my best and help who I can but I'm not a famous athlete with world-class talent. Just imagine what he could get from his sponsors alone. I'm sure new clothes and donations of food or help with providing potable water and medical care can be gotten as well.
There's a recent video where in the interview that he wants to do some MMA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT