ADVERTISEMENT

A Michigan fan who won’t be on Don Brown’s Xmas Card List

Chickenman Testa

Jan 4, 2003
And I quote (from an MGoBlog thread full of teeth knashing about bad calls):

RobM_24

October 21st, 2019 at 12:45 AM ^

If you don't have a plan to defend the opposition's biggest weapon, in any combination of sub packages, then you were losing the battle before it started. Can you imagine seeing Nico running a go route with a rush linebacker covering him? We'd be thanking the opposition for their ineptitude. It's linebackers covering Saquon Barkley, safeties and slow nickel corners covering track speed OSU receivers on crossing routes, safeties singled up on KJ Hamler, three down lineman on a Goalline QB sneak, Glasgow taking on guards against Wisconsin ... It's just ineptitude. It's as if we don't have tape on opponents. Like every game is a week 1 surprise. Like we had never heard of guys like Saquon or Hamler until we're already down 3 scores. Anymore, I don't even hope for a win on Saturdays, I just want to see a game where I feel like we actually had a plan. If the players don't execute the plan, so be it ... But the plan can't be for Metellus to run with KJ Hamler down the seam with no help. The plan can't be for Jordan Glasgow to stand up a 300lb Wisconsin guard.

And I quote (from an MGoBlog thread full of teeth knashing about bad calls):

RobM_24

October 21st, 2019 at 12:45 AM ^

If you don't have a plan to defend the opposition's biggest weapon, in any combination of sub packages, then you were losing the battle before it started. Can you imagine seeing Nico running a go route with a rush linebacker covering him? We'd be thanking the opposition for their ineptitude. It's linebackers covering Saquon Barkley, safeties and slow nickel corners covering track speed OSU receivers on crossing routes, safeties singled up on KJ Hamler, three down lineman on a Goalline QB sneak, Glasgow taking on guards against Wisconsin ... It's just ineptitude. It's as if we don't have tape on opponents. Like every game is a week 1 surprise. Like we had never heard of guys like Saquon or Hamler until we're already down 3 scores. Anymore, I don't even hope for a win on Saturdays, I just want to see a game where I feel like we actually had a plan. If the players don't execute the plan, so be it ... But the plan can't be for Metellus to run with KJ Hamler down the seam with no help. The plan can't be for Jordan Glasgow to stand up a 300lb Wisconsin guard.
Ya know I seem to remember that name for some reason?:eek:

Can we just finally say it? Don Brown is ok, but hardly the mythical caricature he has become.

Harbaugh is also an average D1 coach at this point.

I mean, commentators have stopped just short of calling Don Brown an animal in the bedroom. And while that's probably true, he's a good-but-not-elite defensive coordinator. Certainly among the better ones in the Big Ten, but hardly worth the hype.

Reactions: JJTopp99 and Cosmos
Lol. He says don brown has no plan. But the whole game they talked about how don brown is a 1v1 guy. That’s his plan. In hindsight, it was a terrible plan in this case, but it is his plan nonetheless.
Yeah, they DID note that Brown was a one on one coverage adherent, and it worked a number of times. But trying to do that with a safety or a linebacker on Hamler is just stupid, or crazy. Maybe both.

Yeah, they DID note that Brown was a one on one coverage adherent, and it worked a number of times. But trying to do that with a safety or a linebacker on Hamler is just stupid, or crazy. Maybe both.

stuff like that can work in college where a team like Michigan out-talents almost everyone by a significant margin. But it’s a recipe for disaster when that isn’t the case. Can you imagine it being used in the pros where talent is much more even?

I posted this yesterday but it bears repeating.

After our game with Iowa, a poster on their board commented that "it is really stupid to try to cover their slot receiver (Hamler) with a linebacker or safety".

Iowa's Rivals board is smarter than Don Brown .

There was a video of a UM fan in full melt down mode over Brown's approach to defense after last year's tOSU debacle. MohawkLion is spot on - the plan is to sell out to stuff the run and rush the passer and count on your DBs to cover the WRs. Sometimes it works and all but shuts the opposing offense down; sometimes the opponent's best receiver blows past your safety and is three yards clear when he catches the winning TD pass.

Lol. He says don brown has no plan. But the whole game they talked about how don brown is a 1v1 guy. That’s his plan. In hindsight, it was a terrible plan in this case, but it is his plan nonetheless.

And they got schooled with the 1 on 1 stuff by OSU last year. And it’s gonna happen again this year if that’s how he chooses to “defend” OSU this year.

How can any DC whose defense gave up 103 points in its final 2 games, 1 with a month of preparation, be hailed as a genius? Only when it’s Michigan.
Mostly worked in 2nd half. Not saying he’s great or it’s the right approach but, except the awful coverage v hamler, they shut our O down pretty completely.

To be fair, there isn't another slot receiver in the B10 (or maybe in college football) who runs like Hamler. And there isn't another running back maybe in all of football who runs like Barkley. It's usually extraordinary players who break defenses.

How can any DC whose defense gave up 103 points in its final 2 games, 1 with a month of preparation, be hailed as a genius? Only when it’s Michigan.
By the same folks who rank them in the top 10 to begin every season, only to see them fall and fall and fall!

Don Brown has no plan? From what I hear he invented every plan.

Sensing some doubters in the room, so wanted to share a clear example of Don Brown defense:

Don Brown must be doing something right. One poster yesterday said while he was piping his wife - she was screaming Don Brown's name. Just sayin

No pictures so dont throw a flag

here I'll help you out
9271069.jpg

Reactions: stormingnorm
I posted this yesterday but it bears repeating.

After our game with Iowa, a poster on their board commented that "it is really stupid to try to cover their slot receiver (Hamler) with a linebacker or safety".

Iowa's Rivals board is smarter than Don Brown .

So, when a BWI poster is screwing his wife, she is going to shout out "Iowa Rivals Board!"?

Nice. Very nice.

Reactions: PSU87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT