ADVERTISEMENT

A couple of questions re Beaver Stadium traditions

LafayetteBear

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2009
I've seen a number of Lions games, but all when they were in a bowl game or otherwise on the road. Accordingly, I have a couple of questions after viewing (on TV) the game from Beaver Stadium last Saturday, and was hoping someone in the know might have the answers.

I thought it was great that the players and coaches lined in one end of the Stadium, arm in arm, while the Blue Band played the Alma Mater. My wife (an '82 grad) says she does not recall the players doing that when she was in school. Is this something they started doing after 2011 or 2012, in order to reinforce unity or school spirit? Or have they been doing it longer? Regardless, I thought it was great that BTN kept the media coverage going until this was over. Not sure it was strictly due to the Zettel situation, but I hope it happens every game.

Also, as players exited the field after singing the Alma Mater, it appears that they passed a bell that was gray green in color (kind of the color of tarnished brass), and put their hands on something under that bell. I saw more than a few players doing this. What happened there?

Concerning the players singing the alma mater after games: BOB approached the Blue Bland director in March of 2012 (2 months after he was hired) about adding this. Before that, the band would play the alma mater after games, though most of the students had either left or would sing "we don't know the f*ing words" (repeated for each line of the song) while the band played the alma mater. The team and band worked out the logistics of doing it together and it became a tradition in the 2012 season. In addition, the students endorsed it, and now participate in the singing (and sing the actual words).

As for what the players are putting their hands on, first, the object is the Victory Bell, and second what the players are doing is touching the clanger and actually ringing the bell.

Your wife and you need to make a trip to a game over the next 2 seasons, while your boys are still students at PSU.

The team singing the alma mater in front of the student section was started by O'Brien in 2012. The Victory Bell was a gift from the class of 1978 (IIRC), and used to be above the south stands and rung once for each point scored in a victory. After it was moved by stadium expansion, it appeared at field level near the south tunnel. I don't know exactly when. It is been a recent addition to mic it and here the players ringing it at the conclusion of a win.

Thanks, Tom and Nittanymoops. I'm looking forward to taking in a game at Beaver Stadium. Maybe later this season or next season for sure.

My wife is going back to State College for Homecoming. She and a bunch of her sorority sisters are attending a party at Indigo, which is being turned back into Mr. C's (complete with the drinks they used to serve, one of the the DJ's they used to have, and the photographer they used to use) on the Friday night of Homecoming Weekend. The place will be jammed. I, unfortunately, will have to remain here to take care of our aged dog and 10th grade son.

Concerning the players singing the alma mater after games: BOB approached the Blue Bland director in March of 2012 (2 months after he was hired) about adding this. Before that, the band would play the alma mater after games, though most of the students had either left or would sing "we don't know the f*ing words" (repeated for each long of the song) while the band played the alma mater. The team and band worked out the logistics of doing it together and it became a tradition in the 2012 season. In addition, the students endorsed it, and now participate in the singing (and sing the actual words).

As for what the players are putting their hands on, first, the object is the Victory Bell, and second what the players are doing is touching the clanger and actually ringing the bell.

Your wife and you need to make a trip to a game over the next 2 seasons, while your boys are still students at PSU.

A finer point of correction.....it is "we don't know the G** D*** words". If you are going to besmirch a well worn tradition, get it right.

Last edited:
The team singing the alma mater in front of the student section was started by O'Brien in 2012. The Victory Bell was a gift from the class of 1978 (IIRC), and used to be above the south stands and rung once for each point scored in a victory. After it was moved by stadium expansion, it appeared at field level near the south tunnel. I don't know exactly when. It is been a recent addition to mic it and here the players ringing it at the conclusion of a win.
Good recall. It indeed was the class of 1978.

IIRC the Nittany Lion would ring the bell at the top of the stadium ,after a victory. I really like the singing of the
alma mater after the game. Good addition IMO.

In the early 70's, we used the G***D***ed words.

Also the mid 70s and late 70s.

I imagine that there is an outside possibility some aholes were substituting "f-ing" and too drunk/stupid to understand the tradition. Further, I imagine that there are a ton of folks to who came later and were given a faulty version of what the tradition was.

However, it is simply undeniable that the tradition was G D words.

Last edited:
Reactions: MontereyLion
A finer point of correct.....it is "we don't know the G** D*** words". If you are going to besmirch a well worn tradition, get it right.
And in some versions the stanza concluded with "al-co-hol, al-co-hol" (circa '74-'78). The practice was so common you could clearly make it out on some game broadcasts in the '70s and '80s. The internet can be credited with the demise of this (questionable) practice through widespread distribution of the actual words; I finally saw the real lyrics in print for the first time while paging through the commencement guide at graduation...

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
And in some versions the stanza concluded with "al-co-hol, al-co-hol" (circa '74-'78). The practice was so common you could clearly make it out on some game broadcasts in the '70s and '80s. The internet can be credited with the demise of this (questionable) practice through widespread distribution of the actual words; I finally saw the real lyrics in print for the first time while paging through the commencement guide at graduation...

I noticed that lyrics streaming on the scoreboard lag the song so they don't help people who don't know the words. Apparently a $10 million scoreboard can't operate as a simple karaoke machine.

I recall my brother and sister's graduation in 1982, where then-President of the University John Oswald said "Now we will all turn to page 4 of the program and sing the Alma Mater just as it is written on page 4 pf your program. Now turn to page 4 and sing the Alma Mater...". We'd heard back in the day (I was at UP for the 1976 and 1977 seasons) that ABC got really upset by the "other words" and cut away from the telecast (this was back in the day when the tv folks showed the whole pregame and much of the halftime show).

Also the mid 70s and late 70s.

I imagine that there is an outside possibility some aholes were substituting "f-ing" and too drunk/stupid to understand the tradition. Further, I imagine that there are a ton of folks to who came later and were given a fautly version of what the tradition was.

However, it is simply undeniable that the tradition was G D words.

When I go back to games...which aren't many...the last one being Joe's last lost(Alabama 2011)...
I still sing we don't know the GD words. Sorry old habits die hard.

When I go back to games...which aren't many...the last one being Joe's last lost(Alabama 2011)...
I still sing we don't know the GD words. Sorry old habits die hard.

I gave that up a few years after I graduated. I wasn't a student anymore, when it might have been appropriate.

It was cool to see the BTN show the players singing the Alma Mater after the game as well (Tis a beautiful thing) and the drum major flip before the game.

And to think some of you didn't think singing the Alma Mater after the game was a good idea. For those of you who don't and want to head for your tailgate, it's your loss. Seeing Zettel with his teammates singing it (and all he's going through) tugged at my heart strings.

Not knowing the words and singing instead, "we don't know the GD words" should provoke nasty glances from those singing, "MAY NO ACT OF OURS BRING SHAME....."

...I have always considered that as an example of juvenile behavior that someone will join in as part of a crowd .....

...but, hopefully, would not be repeated in front of their grandparents or in church...

...but thas jes my opinion...

Reactions: john4psu
A finer point of correction.....it is "we don't know the G** D*** words". If you are going to besmirch a well worn tradition, get it right.

My apologies on that. I remember, and have heard, both versions. I should have indicated as much in my reply, but I was keying it in from bed, on my iPhone, and was trying to keep the reply short.

As indicated in the responses, both versions were used, though G*D* words was the more common one.

Not knowing the words and singing instead, "we don't know the GD words" should provoke nasty glances from those singing, "MAY NO ACT OF OURS BRING SHAME....."
I don't disagree with this sentiment, and although it sounds lame to say 'they' were doing it when we got there, 'they' were in-fact doing it when we got there...en mass. Apparently the practice was a remnant of the '60 protest culture, and continued to thrive amid an anti-establishment mentality that found paying homage to ideals in post-Vietnam America too onerous. Not sure when it began to fall out of favor, though IT clearly brought a sense of individual commitment to the university on a scale we haven't seen in our lifetimes, and I'm thrilled BOB started the new tradition.

I remember hearing it in the late '60s. The first time I heard it, it was being played by the Minor Mass down at the Phyrst on a Thursday night. Don't know if they started it.

My apologies on that. I remember, and have heard, both versions. I should have indicated as much in my reply, but I was keying it in from bed, on my iPhone, and was trying to keep the reply short.

As indicated in the responses, both versions were used, though G*D* words was the more common one.

I was just given you a hard time Tom. I remember taking joy in singing the GD words. I also remember hearing the GD words load and clear on TV once. I think they stopped showing us signing the Alma mater after that.

I was just given you a hard time Tom. I remember taking joy in singing the GD words. I also remember hearing the GD words load and clear on TV once. I think they stopped showing us signing the Alma mater after that.

69-73 it was GD words for sure, now when they play it my wife stares at me with that don't you dare sing "we
don't know the GD words" at your age. :)

Reactions: Zenophile
now when they play it my wife stares at me with that don't you dare sing "we
don't know the GD words" at your age.

LMFAO

It's like there is something in the DNA of females that makes that stare innate. I suspect most husbands have seen some version of that stare on more than one occasion. No words are spoken, but the message is quite clear. Good observation/post, jim.

Can confirm it was GD words 1995-1999 as well. I don't recall hearing this after the games though, it was usually sung as part of the pre-game routine.
I noticed that lyrics streaming on the scoreboard lag the song so they don't help people who don't know the words. Apparently a $10 million scoreboard can't operate as a simple karaoke machine.
They put the lyrics on the old video screens as well. I remember a few snarky comments from some in the student section pointing out that the lyrics were on the screen, while many sang the GD words version. I think the "tradition" went over their heads a bit.

Reactions: Zenophile
LMFAO

It's like there is something in the DNA of females that makes that stare innate. I suspect most husbands have seen some version of that stare on more than one occasion. No words are spoken, but the message is quite clear. Good observation/post, jim.
I was going to reply in similar.
Some times at a game, when really keyed and tense, a bungled play is made and to my demise I say ah $hit...
Wife: you say that one more time, you'll be sorry"!!!

Can confirm it was GD words 1995-1999 as well. I don't recall hearing this after the games though, it was usually sung as part of the pre-game routine.

They put the lyrics on the old video screens as well. I remember a few snarky comments from some in the student section pointing out that the lyrics were on the screen, while many sang the GD words version. I think the "tradition" went over their heads a bit.

Last night my wife asks me...."Do you ever cuss when you play golf?" Seriously, how do you answer that question?

Good recall. It indeed was the class of 1978.

As I remember, the Class Gift each year was paid for my extorting the remaining security deposits from each of the seniors. I wish I had broken more glass in chem lab. I don't even know what they did with the '79 money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT