ADVERTISEMENT

45.8 % of runs last season were by a QB

I didn't get the impression that Franklin was unhappy with KC, especially concerning the unusual season circumstances. It was just that somebody became available who he liked better.

Reactions: NittPicker
Interesting post. That figure seems accurate - I was surprised at the # of QB runs, especially given that Clifford is a good-not-great runner. Would have loved to see that ratio with Rashard Casey or M-Robb.

Reactions: GulfCoastLion
181/385
Until that # drops by 25-30%, this program won’t make the playoffs.
Chances are that even when that number drops to 25-30%, this program won’t make the playoffs. Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State get automatic bids. That leaves one spot open to the rest of the teams. Tough odds.

181/385
Once Journey Brown had to leave football and Cain went down, their options with RBs were limited. The real loss was Clifford not getting better in the pocket, which was degraded with the inexperienced RBs. Even the previous year, I remember him mentioning his progress in his 40 time. I have no problem with a running QB, but not at the expense of being comfortable and productive in the pocket. My bigger question is with Franklin-what is his priority as far as developing QBs for his 'system'. A side question is if he feels Levis was justified in feeling he should have gotten more playing time last year...not sure of either.

Reactions: BBrown
I didn't get the impression that Franklin was unhappy with KC, especially concerning the unusual season circumstances. It was just that somebody became available who he liked better.

Franklin's comments after the Yurcich hiring weren't overly complementary towards Ciarrocca, at least for on the field stuff

Reactions: BBrown
Franklin's comments after the Yurcich hiring weren't overly complementary towards Ciarrocca, at least for on the field stuff
Having not seen all the games, but from what I saw, the real issues last year was with the inexperience at RB and judgement by the QB. Time is more likely to address the first. The second is a little more complex and uncertain. For the most part, the WR and even TE play was much better than the previous year. I'm not sure how much can be put on CK but Franklin is his boss so his opinion is the only that matters.

Chances are that even when that number drops to 25-30%, this program won’t make the playoffs. Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State get automatic bids. That leaves one spot open to the rest of the teams. Tough odds.
That is Bull. Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State get automatic bids because they beat everyone's ass year in and year out. We control our playoff destiny. Beat Ohio State and don't lose games to Indiana, Maryland and Iowa. Plain and simple.

1) How many of those runs were by Levis?

2) How many of those runs, especially by SC, were unplanned?

Right. I did the breakdown of it in a thread after season following a similar comment to the OP’s here. I’m not going to do it again, but from memory a good number of QB runs were sacks and with Levis as the “wildcat” runner. Reality put it around 25%. What I couldn’t determine was what you mention — how many were meant to be a pass but due to coverage or pressure, Clifford took off to avoid a sack. That would reduce it further. The key here isn’t what percentage of runs are by the QB, it’s what percentage of runs are designed to be QB runs. That number needs to probably be lower.

Reactions: indynittany
Like it or not , nothing is changing until we have a real football coach. It will be 2,3,4 loses every year

That is Bull. Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State get automatic bids because they beat everyone's ass year in and year out. We control our playoff destiny. Beat Ohio State and don't lose games to Indiana, Maryland and Iowa. Plain and simple.
We’ll have to pay up to get the players those teams have.

I do. Even if MY wasn’t available I don’t think KC would be here. Something just never clicked between them.

Clifford was basically our featured runner last season. While Clifford is a decent runner, this is not going to get us an offense that averages 40 points per game.
This year, Clifford being the featured runner is not happening no matter who the OC happens to be.

I do. Even if MY wasn’t available I don’t think KC would be here. Something just never clicked between them.
You may be right, but I believe it ran a little deeper. Someone had to take the hit for last year, just to temporarily shake things up. And when MY became available the decision was pretty easy for Franklin. I’m not busting on JF it’s just the way things go in most high visibility enterprises like sports, business or politics when things tank. Protecting and enhancing the brand always trumps everything else.

181/385
alarming but you also have to factor in that our starting RB had a health issue and couldn't play. By the season's start, our new starter got injured in the first series. The guy who, then, would have been the starter took the Portal road out. So by the second series, we were playing with our fourth team player as it stood at season's end for 2019.

Also, factor in that 99% of our running plays are zone/read between the RB and QB. So our QB would get a healthy number, 33%, anyway?

Finally, factor in that we didn't have much of a receiving corp either.

alarming but you also have to factor in that our starting RB had a health issue and couldn't play. By the season's start, our new starter got injured in the first series. The guy who, then, would have been the starter took the Portal road out. So by the second series, we were playing with our fourth team player as it stood at season's end for 2019.

Also, factor in that 99% of our running plays are zone/read between the RB and QB. So our QB would get a healthy number, 33%, anyway?

Finally, factor in that we didn't have much of a receiving corp either.
let's not foret Levis was a wildcat....those are not really qb runs

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT