ADVERTISEMENT

37 foods every Pennsylvanian should eat.

Dried corn is great, but John Cope's is a mediocre product. Try looking at one of those bulk food stores run by Mennonites.

Reactions: BBrown
I've had everything but the tomato pie, hog maw, and teaberry ice cream. I've never had old forge pizza specifically, but I've had that style... like Ellio's.

The canned copes corn is great, the bagged not so much.

I'm just glad they correctly call them "whoopie pies" and not gobs.

Last edited:
https://www.pennlive.com/expo/life-...u_BSwYMU0gLrtm3nTa1UMmpocKB9wLqdSnIdgLc5rYhbQ

I think I've had just about all of them.

I've never heard of John Copes or Wilbur Buds. Never went to the farm show. I've heard of Cup Cheese but have never had it that I can recall.

The rest I've had

Wilbur buds are good. You should go to Litiz and check them out, the store is nice and there is also a pretzel
factory close by that you (used to be able to tour) not sure if you still can.
Besides Litiz is a pretty nice little town.

https://www.pennlive.com/expo/life-...u_BSwYMU0gLrtm3nTa1UMmpocKB9wLqdSnIdgLc5rYhbQ

I've never heard of John Copes or Wilbur Buds. Never went to the farm show. I've heard of Cup Cheese but have never had it that I can recall.

The rest I've had
Same as you, I think. Might have had Copes and hog maw but don’t remember it. Pretty sure I’ve had cup cheese but not sure if it’s exactly how they’re describing—and who knows if there are varieties.

Tangent: Didn’t realize Stromboli was a Philly thing. But if anyone wants to try a great one that’s off-the-grid here, major shout-out to the Stromboli at Frank’s pizza in east falls. When you bite into it, it screams cheap deli meat (and I notice the square ham slices every time), but holy crow is it delish! Get the sauce on the side and dip—and then double dip if you’re eating the whole thing yourself like i do (pizza for wife and kids). Seriously local guys, give it a try. True gem.

Peeps - Y
Heinz Ketchup - Y
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - Y
Cope's Corn - Nope
Scrapple - Y
Middleswarth Potato Chips - Y
Whoopie pie - Y
Cup Cheese - Maybe
Chow Chow - Y
Birch Beer - Y
Teaberry Ice Cream - Yes, they have this at the creamery
Lebanon bologna - Y
Ham Loaf - Y
Tastykake - Y
Red Beet Eggs - Y
Fastnachts - Y
Bacon Dressing - Y
Shoofly pie - Y
Wilbur Buds - Y
Farm Show Milkshakes - Y
Cheesesteaks - Y
Chicken and waffles - Y (this is a strange combination though)
Pork and sauerkraut - Y
Fries ON that sandwich - Y
Apple dumplings - Y
Chicken Pot pie - Y
Sand Tarts - Y
Tomato Pie - Y
Pretzels - Y
Italian Ice - Y
Stromboli - Y
Hog Maw - Nope
Isaly's Chipped Ham - Y
Chicken corn soup - Y
Hoagies - Y
Yuengling Lager - Y
Old Forge Pizza - Don't think Old Forge, but have eaten similar looking pizza from this place in Hazelton many, many time.

Reactions: royboy and BBrown

The rest I've had

Pretty much had all of them as well and like most of them. Was never a fan of the "sweet" Lebanon Bologna.
Love that version of Chicken and Waffles and thats the way my Grandmother made them.
Teaberry ice cream is different but not bad. I thought though it was almost a "seasonal" type thing?
Red Beet eggs rock, especially if they are heavy on the vinegar. I make them but I put a jalapeno in it.;)
Our Bacon Dressing was always warm and put over spring Dandelion Greens.
Sand Tarts are really good and I didn't think many people still made them but maybe they do.
Did not know that the Stromboli was invented in Philly?
A big no to the HogMaw and yes I've had it...once.
Chipped Ham and the NON-Sweet Lebanon Bologna where stapels in my lunch bag in HighSchool.
Well that and Cheeze Whiz sandwiches.
Speaking of Cheeze Whiz I figured that would be on the list.
Never had the "Gritty Cheese Steak" and don't think I ever will. LOL.
Thanks for the link that was fun.

Peeps - Y
Heinz Ketchup - Y
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - Y
Cope's Corn - Nope
Scrapple - Y
Middleswarth Potato Chips - Y
Whoopie pie - Y
Cup Cheese - Maybe
Chow Chow - Y
Birch Beer - Y
Teaberry Ice Cream - Yes, they have this at the creamery
Lebanon bologna - Y
Ham Loaf - Y
Tastykake - Y
Red Beet Eggs - Y
Fastnachts - Y
Bacon Dressing - Y
Shoofly pie - Y
Wilbur Buds - Y
Farm Show Milkshakes - Y
Cheesesteaks - Y
Chicken and waffles - Y (this is a strange combination though)
Pork and sauerkraut - Y
Fries ON that sandwich - Y
Apple dumplings - Y
Chicken Pot pie - Y
Sand Tarts - Y
Tomato Pie - Y
Pretzels - Y
Italian Ice - Y
Stromboli - Y
Hog Maw - Nope
Isaly's Chipped Ham - Y
Chicken corn soup - Y
Hoagies - Y
Yuengling Lager - Y
Old Forge Pizza - Don't think Old Forge, but have eaten similar looking pizza from this place in Hazelton many, many time.

Thats the only way I knew to have Chicken and Waffles. It wasn't until I left Somerset County that I found
the "Soul Food" version, which is also good but IMO not close to the one I used to eat.

Thats the only way I knew to have Chicken and Waffles. It wasn't until I left Somerset County that I found
the "Soul Food" version, which is also good but IMO not close to the one I used to eat.

I've found that living in Lancaster County has opened up my taste buds to a wide variety of interesting foods. Look at the list, lots of Philly and PA Dutch stuff. I can go to any number of local markets and find almost every item on the list except for the western PA stuff. Even then I can get them to "chip" my ham. Just have to get them trained up a little first.

Reactions: Nitwit97 and BBrown
Copes Corn was a magnificent product until it was sold to Pennsylvania Food Group in 2006. Not so much now. Thanksgiving was not Thanksgiving without a Copes Corn casserole or pie on the table.

I've found that living in Lancaster County has opened up my taste buds to a wide variety of interesting foods. Look at the list, lots of Philly and PA Dutch stuff. I can go to any number of local markets and find almost every item on the list except for the western PA stuff. Even then I can get them to "chip" my ham. Just have to get them trained up a little first.

+1.
And they need to distinguish the Whoppie Pie from the Gob.
My understanding or at least the way my Western PA family made Gobs is that the filling was a cooked flour
mixture (dont laugh its very tasty and not as sweet) and the Whoopie Pie Version uses Marshmellow fluff.
Both are very good but I prefer The Gob version.
Oh and stop adding all kind of flavors to the cake, its not supposed to be Pumpkin, red velvet, banana,
Spice or Ginger or even Vanilla. Its Chocolate and Chocolate only. ;):D

Reactions: MJG-90
Everything except cup cheese and Wilbur buds. I've never heard of either of them before. They should add pierogies, brinsers roasted corn meal, pudding (scrapple without the corn meal to bind it together), stuffed cabbage, mince meat pie.

Oh and stop adding all kind of flavors to the cake, its not supposed to be Pumpkin, red velvet, banana,

I disagree. Pumpkin whoopie pies are incredible. The rest (other than chocolate) should be illegal.

Never had Copes dried corn but my mother and Grandmother used to make dried corn.
Its pretty good.

My maternal grandmother used to dry her own as well. It's tasty stuff.

As for the list, I've had everything, except cup cheese. Pretty much like it all.

My maternal grandmother used to dry her own as well. It's tasty stuff.

As for the list, I've had everything, except cup cheese. Pretty much like it all.

I've had the cup cheese but it was called something else. My roommate was from Mannheim and he would bring it back with him.
Pretty tasty stuff.

I've had them all but the Copes corn, Hog Maw (that doesn't even sound good and I love scrapple), and haven't run into Wilbur Buds. I'll have to scratch Wilbur Buds off my list next time I'm traveling down east.

When the kids were young we used to stay at Camp Misty Mount in Catoctin, MD. There was a place in town that served teaberry soft serve ice cream. Nothing better on a hot summer evening.

I've had them all but the Copes corn, Hog Maw (that doesn't even sound good and I love scrapple), and haven't run into Wilbur Buds. I'll have to scratch Wilbur Buds off my list next time I'm traveling down east.

Ok are you a ketchup or maple syrup guy on your Scrapple?
I'm totally off the rez. and go with tabasco.

+1.
And they need to distinguish the Whoppie Pie from the Gob.
My understanding or at least the way my Western PA family made Gobs is that the filling was a cooked flour
mixture (dont laugh its very tasty and not as sweet) and the Whoopie Pie Version uses Marshmellow fluff.
Both are very good but I prefer The Gob version.

I see no need to distinguish. Gob is a brand of whoopie pie (all gobs are whoopie pies, not all whoopie pies are gobs), just like kleenex is a brand of tissues, and coke is a brand of soda. Some people use the brand to refer to the any similar product.

I've never had a whoopie pie that had marshmallow fluff in it, it's always cake icing.

I see no need to distinguish. Gob is a brand of whoopie pie (all gobs are whoopie pies, not all whoopie pies are gobs), just like kleenex is a brand of tissues, and coke is a brand of soda. Some people use the brand to refer to the any similar product.

I've never had a whoopie pie that had marshmallow fluff in it, it's always cake icing.

Is this going to be another "salt and pepper is not a seasoning debate"?
If so I'm out.
And no its not always cake icing, well maybe the fake GOBS you were eating were.:rolleyes:

Reactions: IIVI
They are missing a big item...

https://www.google.com/search?q=bar...oECAwQAQ&biw=768&bih=915#imgrc=n0Dt7f5oc_H-NM

173aa01afde19b972fd19e2fa8729db4--dutch-recipes-amish-recipes.jpg

You only get to eat so many meals in your lifetime. Don't waste one of them putting French Fries on a sandwich. It's a nasty combination, and Primanti's gets more free advertising out of this garbage food concoction than dozens of great local restaurants with better food and lower prices.

Tangent: Didn’t realize Stromboli was a Philly thing. But if anyone wants to try a great one that’s off-the-grid here, major shout-out to the Stromboli at Frank’s pizza in east falls. .

Yep Essington to be specific. Get a boli then head over to Lou Turk's, or the other way around ;)

Is this going to be another "salt and pepper is not a seasoning debate"?
If so I'm out.
And no its not always cake icing, well maybe the fake GOBS you were eating were.:rolleyes:

Considering I've never had a "salt and pepper is not a seasoning debate", I can't answer that question. I've debated that something that is advertised as "seasoned" such as "seasoned fries", or "seasoned salt", is seasoned with more than just salt and pepper... or that if you google "steak seasoning", you don't just find companies selling a mixture of salt and pepper. I can't help if others want to play stupid semantics games to try and move the goal posts in an effort to prove they aren't wrong. You're a good poster, I have no desire to start a heated discussion over what is clearly a misunderstanding.

Back to the topic, I've never had a whoopie pie that had marshmallow fluff, it's always been cake icing. Since I'm talking about my experience, it's not debatable. I've had my fair share of them in my life too, so the point is that it's not universal (or even necessarily common at all) for whoopie pies to use marshmallow filling.

Last edited:
Ok are you a ketchup or maple syrup guy on your Scrapple?
I'm totally off the rez. and go with tabasco.
Never ketchup. If I'm eating something with syrup, them I'll put some on my scrapple. Otherwise hard fried in cast iron skillet with a little salt. Tabasco would be interesting. Might have to try it some time.

As a transplant from PA, now in NC, I've found there is a LOT of that list we rarely see and that's just 400-500 miles away.

Yeah, grits, hush puppies, and various forms of pork barbecue can be good, but PA is hard to beat for locally popular foods. Enjoy them!

Reactions: Hotshoe
You only get to eat so many meals in your lifetime. Don't waste one of them putting French Fries on a sandwich. It's a nasty combination, and Primanti's gets more free advertising out of this garbage food concoction than dozens of great local restaurants with better food and lower prices.
I don't know,to me there's nothing better than making the long drive from York to Theburgh,going through the Squirrel Hill tunnel and doing a b line to the Strip for a capocola cheese with egg and washing it down with a nice cold down and dirty Iron City.

Had what they referred to as a Farm Show Milkshake at the Grange Fair in Centre Hall. It was just a slightly thinner version of soft-serve ice cream. It hardly qualified as a milkshake.

I've had everything but the tomato pie, hog maw, and teaberry ice cream. I've never had old forge pizza specifically, but I've had that style... like Ellio's.

The canned copes corn is great, the bagged not so much.

I'm just glad they correctly call them "whoopie pies" and not gobs.
Ellio’s Is nothing like Old Forge Pizza.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT