ADVERTISEMENT

37 foods every Pennsylvanian should eat.

My wife, a North Jersey Italian native, remarked to me as I read the list to her "it's as if you all find 27 more ways to kill yourselves" :)

I'm pretty sure she'll never try scrapple.......

Old Forge pizza
profile-pictures.jpg

white-at-salernosjpg-06dd5b76f05cf823.jpg

Will be at Arcaro and Genell tomorrow night for the Scranton chapter annual recruiting review. I guess I'm bringing a tray or two home to share with the wife.

Reactions: rudedude
No Creamery ice cream?

And every old time Yinzer knows it's chipped chopped ham.

If they hadn't left the state, Rolling Rock and Clark Bars would also be on the list. Traitors!!!

Wilbur buds are good. You should go to Litiz and check them out, the store is nice and there is also a pretzel
factory close by that you (used to be able to tour) not sure if you still can.
Besides Litiz is a pretty nice little town.
My pant parents met working at Wilbur chocolate in Lititz, making Wilbur buds! Then they made me! No wonder I love chocolate!

Poser pierogies. Can't beat the convenience but homemade pierogies put these to shame.
I know it's in the eye of the beholder (or more accurately, if you were fed some of this stuff when you were a kid) but there are several things on the list that are just gross. My dad ate scrapple, I would never go near that stuff. I always thought food like that was 'poor food' and my dad grew up during the Depression so I figured that's where it came from. Spam too.

Reactions: MaconNitt and PSU87
Poser pierogies. Can't beat the convenience but homemade pierogies put these to shame.
I know it's in the eye of the beholder (or more accurately, if you were fed some of this stuff when you were a kid) but there are several things on the list that are just gross. My dad ate scrapple, I would never go near that stuff. I always thought food like that was 'poor food' and my dad grew up during the Depression so I figured that's where it came from. Spam too.

Yea a lot of the food that I ate as a kid was passed down from my Grandparents to my parents who lived through the depression and both WW'rs.
We would eat Milk Soup and Ribble soup. I still like Ribble soup.:)

Spam I am almost positive was a WW2 food for the soldiers. I guess thats why it is so popular in Hawaii.
I do like fried Spam and think it has a much worse reputation than it deserves but then I also think the same thing about Scrapple.
If you wont go near scrapple do you eat hot dogs?
Thats what I mean about Scrapple having a bad rap.

Reactions: MaconNitt
Yea a lot of the food that I ate as a kid was passed down from my Grandparents to my parents who lived through the depression and both WW'rs.
We would eat Milk Soup and Ribble soup. I still like Ribble soup.:)

Spam I am almost positive was a WW2 food for the soldiers. I guess thats why it is so popular in Hawaii.
I do like fried Spam and think it has a much worse reputation than it deserves but then I also think the same thing about Scrapple.
If you wont go near scrapple do you eat hot dogs?
Thats what I mean about Scrapple having a bad rap.
I've never much eaten hot dogs, but I think they are not really close at all to scrapple. Never heard of Milk or Ribble soup. We ate a lot of food from the Slovak side of the family, pierogies, halupki, bleenies etc (heh, health food). Never cared for halushki though. Someone mentioned ring bologna in this thread, I did like that as a kid (the garlic variety) but I have not had it in over 30 years.

My Mom used to eat Spam, I have no idea how she prepared it because I wanted nothing to do with it lol. I would expect my Dad ate it too, he was in the Korean War and WWII. He also ate some foul stuff my Mom called 'pudding', I think it was liver pudding. It was grey in color and when my Mom made it we literally stayed out of the house for hours, it smelled so terrible. I could not believe my Dad would eat something that smelled like that.

Reactions: MaconNitt
They aren’t bad at all when homemade ones are not around. Pierogies making is quite the labor of love.

I've never much eaten hot dogs, but I think they are not really close at all to scrapple. Never heard of Milk or Ribble soup. We ate a lot of food from the Slovak side of the family, pierogies, halupki, bleenies etc (heh, health food). Never cared for halushki though. Someone mentioned ring bologna in this thread, I did like that as a kid (the garlic variety) but I have not had it in over 30 years.

My Mom used to eat Spam, I have no idea how she prepared it because I wanted nothing to do with it lol. I would expect my Dad ate it too, he was in the Korean War and WWII. He also ate some foul stuff my Mom called 'pudding', I think it was liver pudding. It was grey in color and when my Mom made it we literally stayed out of the house for hours, it smelled so terrible. I could not believe my Dad would eat something that smelled like that.
Gave you a couple of likes to get you off the 666

They aren’t bad at all when homemade ones are not around. Pierogies making is quite the labor of love.
I guess my wife doesn't love me like she used to. :( She has not made them in years. If I'm lucky, every once in a while when I'm in Pa I can get a couple dozen from one of the local Polish churches, usually around the holidays.

Reactions: rudedude
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT