ADVERTISEMENT

324. Joe passes the Bear. Sue hugs Joe.

Wow, thanks for jogging my memory. I had forgotten that this historic milestone had come against OSU of all teams. Great to relive this but so sad, infuriating, and unthinkable how the end played out for Joe ten years later.

I do remember how the countdown to #324 that had seemed inevitable began to feel like an excruciatingly long wait as we drifted into the “dark years” of the early 2000s. What a feeling of relief and exhilaration when it finally happened.

I never could have dreamed at that time of either end of the dichotomy that was to come... neither that Joe would actually make it all the way to #409 nor that things would end so horribly and unfairly for him right after.

Truly bittersweet memories. :(

Rather than passing Bryant's win record, I would have preferred he didn't go one and four against him in head to head competition. Especially since several of those games he lost by very poor decisions.

Thanks for the post. There are so many that did Joe wrong. I know that I am suppose to forgive,but I can't yet.

Reactions: marshall23
You are entitled to your perspective as I am mine. Every other day a new, I miss/love, Joe thread is posted on this board. Often I feel obligated to infuse some reality into the cult like lovefest that follows. If any of you and your ilk had an ounce of common sense, you would stop living in the past and enjoy the resurgence of PSU athletics.
I will agree with you when you criticize all those who complain about past losses against the OSU’s and Michigan’s of the world. After all, those people shouldn’t be living “in the past!”

I will agree with you when you criticize all those who complain about past losses against the OSU’s and Michigan’s of the world. After all, those people shouldn’t be living “in the past!”

I don't know from where you are coming since I don't remember commenting about those who have criticized Joe's abysmal record against top Big 10 teams.

One of my fondest memories of Paterno is the way he used to scream at his players, his assistants and the refs. Good times.
An effigy of a football official, hung with a string around its neck and a yellow flag in hand, on the front door of your house is never good. Imagine if Urban or Jimmy did that.

The point is he did things that went against everything he had taught and preached. He hung on too long and became very selfish.

Wow, thanks for jogging my memory. I had forgotten that this historic milestone had come against OSU of all teams. Great to relive this but so sad, infuriating, and unthinkable how the end played out for Joe ten years later.

I do remember how the countdown to #324 that had seemed inevitable began to feel like an excruciatingly long wait as we drifted into the “dark years” of the early 2000s. What a feeling of relief and exhilaration when it finally happened.

I never could have dreamed at that time of either end of the dichotomy that was to come... neither that Joe would actually make it all the way to #409 nor that things would end so horribly and unfairly for him right after.

Truly bittersweet memories. :(

Joe deserved to leave when he was ready, on his own terms. He earned that. He displayed Success With Honor until the end. What the university did to him at the end is a disgrace.

I enjoyed the run to 409. It was a special time. I was at 324, 400, and 409.

An effigy of a football official, hung with a string around its neck and a yellow flag in hand, on the front door of your house is never good. Imagine if Urban or Jimmy did that.

The point is he did things that went against everything he had taught and preached. He hung on too long and became very selfish.
Yup. It’s clear from this interview that even the officials knew Joe was evil.

Last edited:
It’s about professionalism and maturity. It was a childish act and does not align with what he preached.

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying here, but are you saying that Joe was unprofessional and immature?

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying here, but are you saying that Joe was unprofessional and immature?
He’s claiming to know that Joe himself placed the referee effigy on his own front door in 2002. I’m constantly amazed at the memory acuteness of Paterno’s detractors.

Although I absolutely understand why those whom are driven to criticize Joe need to cling to every detail.

Joe deserved to leave when he was ready, on his own terms. He earned that. He displayed Success With Honor until the end. What the university did to him at the end is a disgrace.

I enjoyed the run to 409. It was a special time. I was at 324, 400, and 409.
I met some members of the family during the Temple game in 1988. Good times. Then again for the Notre Dame game in 1989, not so good times there but good memories.

He’s claiming to know that Joe himself placed the referee effigy on his own front door in 2002. I’m constantly amazed at the memory acuteness of Paterno’s detractors.

Although I absolutely understand why those whom are driven to criticize Joe need to cling to every detail.

May I double that view.
His unjust treatment is one of the most heinous things I have seen in my lifetime.

In some ways he was. His sideline tantrums and treatment of the media are just two examples. I know you and your ilk are confused why few in the media were on his side when the scandal broke. It's because they disliked him. He treated them like a nuisance who were infringing on his valuable time. Paterno was a good man in many ways but like all humans, far from perfect. Unfortunately some of you can't accept that.

I don't know from where you are coming since I don't remember commenting about those who have criticized Joe's abysmal record against top Big 10 teams.
Osprey, not saying it was you, but one of the 2 camps are those who just keep harping on the losses. Just saying that all of us pull up the past when it suits us.

In the specific incident of hanging a doll of a referee, by its neck, on his front door, yes he was.

Who cares if he hung it himself? What a petty argument. It amazes me that some on this board can’t EVER find any fault with Paterno. You have to either view him as flawless or the devil. It’s insane.

Reactions: Osprey Lion

I do now recall a ref being hung on the front door, but I don't recall it was Joe who did that. I had long forgotten about it, so I hesitate to ask for details.... but Joe did that?? One of the kids maybe (Scott comes to mind!) but Joe? Sue? Maybe as a latter-day 'painting the Lion orange' gag maybe?! Hanging anything is of course out of the norm, but there had to be something to that besides Joe taking the time and inclination to do that.

I do now recall a ref being hung on the front door, but I don't recall it was Joe who did that. I had long forgotten about it, so I hesitate to ask for details.... but Joe did that?? One of the kids maybe (Scott comes to mind!) but Joe? Sue? Maybe as a latter-day 'painting the Lion orange' gag maybe?! Hanging anything is of course out of the norm, but there had to be something to that besides Joe taking the time and inclination to do that.
The only thing about the incident that was certain was Joe had nothing to do with it. Or perhaps the fact that it mysteriously disappeared shortly after he returned home was simply an uncanny coincidence.

Reactions: marshall23
The only thing about the incident that was certain was Joe had nothing to do with it. Or perhaps the fact that it mysteriously disappeared shortly after he returned home was simply an uncanny coincidence.
There is zero proof he had nothing to do with it.

Blowing out someone else's candle won't make yours shine any brighter.

Obviously Joe’s legacy is far too great to be degraded by message board trolls who have nothing positive to contribute to society themselves. It must be sad for them to be so pathetic and jealous of someone so great like Joe.

Obviously Joe’s legacy is far too great to be degraded by message board trolls who have nothing positive to contribute to society themselves. It must be sad for them to be so pathetic and jealous of someone so great like Joe.
Let's take it a step further. I'm going to frequent a PENN STATE FOOTBALL message board and wait until something flattering is posted about Joe Paterno. I will then simply not ignore it, if I don't agree....but jump in and post some obscure criticism and then feign surprise when pummeled by others. LOL ...Can you imagine working with these guys, or worse yet being related to them?

Let's take it a step further. I'm going to frequent a PENN STATE FOOTBALL message board and wait until something flattering is posted about Joe Paterno. I will then simply not ignore it, if I don't agree....but jump in and post some obscure criticism and then feign surprise when pummeled by others. LOL ...Can you imagine working with these guys, or worse yet being related to them?

It's the definition of a troll. Some of these guys are nowhere to be found until a thread pops about Joe or sandusky. Then they swarm with the ridiculous, incorrect negatives about Joe.

They are all on my Ignore List because they aren't worth dealing with. I laugh at their stupidity because I know the real Joe and I also plainly saw how pathetic they are. We all should ignore them.

More importantly,

-511a0edcb0baf249.jpg

Good comeback. A lot of critical and analytical thinking in that post.

There are 20 or so people on this board who have elevated Paterno to God like status in their tiny lonely minds. There are thrice weekly threads in which they profess their love for Joe and how much they miss and weep for him. They also say they learned all they know about life from Paterno even though few ever spoke to him except in passing. It is obviously childish, cult like behavior and you will incur their wrath by suggesting Joe wasn't perfect.

There are 20 or so people on this board who have elevated Paterno to God like status in their tiny lonely minds. There are thrice weekly threads in which they profess their love for Joe and how much they miss and weep for him. They also say they learned all they know about life from Paterno even though few ever spoke to him except in passing. It is obviously childish, cult like behavior and you will incur their wrath by suggesting Joe wasn't perfect.

Aren't you a regular on the test board? Nuff said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT