ADVERTISEMENT

324. Joe passes the Bear. Sue hugs Joe.

When interviewed after the game, Joe thanked Penn State for believing in him. It makes me angry and breaks my heart at the same time to see what they did to him after all he did for them and everyone else.

When interviewed after the game, Joe thanked Penn State for believing in him. It makes me angry and breaks my heart at the same time to see what they did to him after all he did for them and everyone else.
I don't know if "like" is the correct response to this post but yes, I agree wholeheartedly. A great man who was betrayed by the people in charge of the institution that should have supported him the most.

I was at that game also - it was damn cold, and I was in the last row of the Upper Deck/South End Zone.

I wanted to leave in the 3rd quarter, but was convinced to stay (i.e., we have driven this entire way, might as well stay)....glad we did. Once PSU got the momentum, it just took off. I remember Joe screaming at one of the WRs (#20, whose name escapes me) to catch the ball. I also remember thinking that they wanted to douse Joe with water, but it froze half out of the bucket.

Jimmy Kennedy's block of the FG attempt should not be overlooked.

When you get to be my age the sadness that you carry, is the realization that many if not most, loved ones are gone....Mom, Dad, Wife, Uncles, Aunts etc. So many of my best friends.
Then they take your heroes.....Joe wasn't a childhood hero, like Mickey Mantle or Yogi Berra. Joe was something unique. He remained my hero, even when I reached the stage of my life when I put away childhood dreams. He was as good as God makes them.
It enrages me to think about what Corbett, Surma and Freeh did to him. I really wish I could run into Frank Noonan as well, I swear I would kick that MF in the nuts if I ever do.

I had forgot completely how big that comeback was 27-9 to the Buckeyes wow!!
Other observations, Mills, had a heckuva touch, really good. For a team that was 1-4 going into that game they had some serious football players, Haynes, Kennedy, Johnson bros., Bryant Johnson. Very cool video -
A great reminder why we loved Joe so much, he sets an all time record and gives credit to the University and the players.
Makes me sad all over again what they did to him.

I was at this game. What a comeback. Zack Mills was amazing. Sue hugs Joe at about 11:15 in the video. *weep*

Success With Honor, my friends. Joe gets 324 and talks about the players, not himself.

I miss Joe.

Bob a sincere thank you for posting this video. That was a great game and one heck of a team effort!! I respect and admire the way Sue Paterno congratulated Coach Paterno.

I was at this game. What a comeback. Zack Mills was amazing. Sue hugs Joe at about 11:15 in the video. *weep*

Success With Honor, my friends. Joe gets 324 and talks about the players, not himself.

I miss Joe.

Scott Mayer, probably one of the most underrated safeties in Penn State history, Bryant Johnson, soft hands and quite the punt returner late in his career.

When you get to be my age the sadness that you carry, is the realization that many if not most, loved ones are gone....Mom, Dad, Wife, Uncles, Aunts etc. So many of my best friends.
Then they take your heroes.....Joe wasn't a childhood hero, like Mickey Mantle or Yogi Berra. Joe was something unique. He remained my hero, even when I reached the stage of my life when I put away childhood dreams. He was as good as God makes them.
It enrages me to think about what Corbett, Surma and Freeh did to him. I really wish I could run into Frank Noonan as well, I swear I would kick that MF in the nuts if I ever do.

As much as I’d like to think these spineless scumbags will get some sort of retribution, I have little faith they will. This whole charade was a disgrace.
And nine years later, with ample opportunity to make things right, our BOT does nothing about it. But, at least they can take credit in showing MSU and OSU what to not do
On a brighter note, growing up in NY, the Mick was a boyhood hero for me as well. Somehow my dad came up with tickets for Mantle’s retirement day at Yankee Stadium. Was an event I’ll always remember.

Thanks for posting, brought back all great memories of those seasons. Actually weird I was watching and simply seeing numbers on players and knew everyone:) Like it was yesterday...getting old time flying by

few days ago in between conference calls was watching old press conferences with Joe. I was comparing them to now...miss Joe!

^^^ THIS ^^^

Reactions: jbenedict

Well said.

So happy to have been at that game. My boss, an OSU fan with season tickets to OSU, decided to buy the away game offer to PSU. He couldn't go so offered them to me, and so, my son and I went. Will never forget that game, the excitement, the high energy level throughout the comeback, and how no one was in a hurry to leave the stadium so as to not lose the great feeling.
Wonder if anyone noticed the final score ESPN splashed on the screen in that video as it panned the stadium scoreboard with Joe's 324? It had Florida State instead of Ohio State.

I was at that game also - it was damn cold, and I was in the last row of the Upper Deck/South End Zone.

I wanted to leave in the 3rd quarter, but was convinced to stay (i.e., we have driven this entire way, might as well stay)....glad we did. Once PSU got the momentum, it just took off. I remember Joe screaming at one of the WRs (#20, whose name escapes me) to catch the ball. I also remember thinking that they wanted to douse Joe with water, but it froze half out of the bucket.

Jimmy Kennedy's block of the FG attempt should not be overlooked.

One of my fondest memories of Paterno is the way he used to scream at his players, his assistants and the refs. Good times.

Bob, thanks for the memories. My wife and I were also there. We have had many fond memories in Beaver Stadium. Let's have many more.

The best and always will be.
Can’t wait for dabo or nick’s name to go on the library, or better yet endow professorships.

That leap was awesome. I was convinced that Mills would be a star quarterback at PSU and in the NFL. He had the proverbial “it factor”. That damn shoulder injury, though. Such a shame.
Zach mills is one of my favorite psu players

WTF is your problem? You’re entitled to your perspective but sometimes it’s a good idea to keep your mouth shut.

You are entitled to your perspective as I am mine. Every other day a new, I miss/love, Joe thread is posted on this board. Often I feel obligated to infuse some reality into the cult like lovefest that follows. If any of you and your ilk had an ounce of common sense, you would stop living in the past and enjoy the resurgence of PSU athletics.

Wow, thanks for jogging my memory. I had forgotten that this historic milestone had come against OSU of all teams. Great to relive this but so sad, infuriating, and unthinkable how the end played out for Joe ten years later.

I do remember how the countdown to #324 that had seemed inevitable began to feel like an excruciatingly long wait as we drifted into the “dark years” of the early 2000s. What a feeling of relief and exhilaration when it finally happened.

I never could have dreamed at that time of either end of the dichotomy that was to come... neither that Joe would actually make it all the way to #409 nor that things would end so horribly and unfairly for him right after.

Truly bittersweet memories. :(

Reactions: Sharkies
You are entitled to your perspective as I am mine. Every other day a new, I miss/love, Joe thread is posted on this board. Often I feel obligated to infuse some reality into the cult like lovefest that follows. If any of you and your ilk had an ounce of common sense, you would stop living in the past and enjoy the resurgence of PSU athletics.
Funny you should mention living in the past when this is the only topic you crawl outta your hole to comment on

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT