ADVERTISEMENT

3 point TD mid year review

I still abhor, despise, detest, hate, loathe the 3 point TD rule. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the purpose was to create more action, (as if the only worthwhile action on the mat is a TD).

Then again, I'm such an atavist, I'd go back to superior decisions rather than tech falls, at least for duals (I get it, it would be odd to have different rules for tournaments than duals, but in a dual give the people paying admission a chance at an hour and ten minutes or the satisfaction of a real pin) If you can dominate an opponent, you can dominate him for the full seven and not get tired or sloppy and get yourself pinned. If you want to go to the showers early, put him on his back.

The thing you have to understand is points are prices. Whenever you change prices, there are income and substitution effects. Where as before, a TD and escape was a net of one point, now it's a net of two. Assuming no other scoring four takedowns is now a MD where as before it required eight. But the increase of value in the takedown, deemphasizes other scoring including near falls. It also increases the value of crypto-stalling.

We all know there are going to be wrestlers who seemingly can take down any and all opponents with ease and can't be taken down by themselves. But those wrestlers are few and far between and usually wearing a blue singlet and typically lighter guys (again the blue singlet exception).

Would Ayala have played the kneeling game if he had a one point lead instead of two? Probably not, because he couldn't have risked another quick Davis escape and being ridded out for a full period and losing 3-2. These are the substitution effects.

The three point rule didn't stop commenters here from wishing for a merciful end to the Michigan beat down so we could get to Iowa, it hasn't turned Antrell Taylor into David Taylor and admit it, when Lewan, Amine or Griffith are wrestling, you ideate pouring bleach in your eyes to reduce the pain and enstupidification or at least hold your bladder until 157-174.

One thing @Roat lions didn't point out was-that a plurality of those 23-24 pins came in ONE match-MD.

Nickal and Nolf respectively pinned nearly half their opponents; and we can assume some of those pins would have been lost to TFs under the present rules.

Now if you are going to have the three point TD and completely obviate continuity:

MD=10, TF=18, maybe 20.
Escapes inside 10 seconds; 2 points including those that are the result of intentional releases.
First period pins 8 team points
Second period pins 7 team points.

Go for the gusto!

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
I still abhor, despise, detest, hate, loathe the 3 point TD rule. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the purpose was to create more action, (as if the only worthwhile action on the mat is a TD).

Then again, I'm such an atavist, I'd go back to superior decisions rather than tech falls, at least for duals (I get it, it would be odd to have different rules for tournaments than duals, but in a dual give the people paying admission a chance at an hour and ten minutes or the satisfaction of a real pin) If you can dominate an opponent, you can dominate him for the full seven and not get tired or sloppy and get yourself pinned. If you want to go to the showers early, put him on his back.

The thing you have to understand is points are prices. Whenever you change prices, there are income and substitution effects. Where as before, a TD and escape was a net of one point, now it's a net of two. Assuming no other scoring four takedowns is now a MD where as before it required eight. But the increase of value in the takedown, deemphasizes other scoring including near falls. It also increases the value of crypto-stalling.

We all know there are going to be wrestlers who seemingly can take down any and all opponents with ease and can't be taken down by themselves. But those wrestlers are few and far between and usually wearing a blue singlet and typically lighter guys (again the blue singlet exception).

Would Ayala have played the kneeling game if he had a one point lead instead of two? Probably not, because he couldn't have risked another quick Davis escape and being ridded out for a full period and losing 3-2. These are the substitution effects.

The three point rule didn't stop commenters here from wishing for a merciful end to the Michigan beat down so we could get to Iowa, it hasn't turned Antrell Taylor into David Taylor and admit it, when Lewan, Amine or Griffith are wrestling, you ideate pouring bleach in your eyes to reduce the pain and enstupidification or at least hold your bladder until 157-174.

One thing @Roat lions didn't point out was-that a plurality of those 23-24 pins came in ONE match-MD.

Nickal and Nolf respectively pinned nearly half their opponents; and we can assume some of those pins would have been lost to TFs under the present rules.

Now if you are going to have the three point TD and completely obviate continuity:

MD=10, TF=18, maybe 20.
Escapes inside 10 seconds; 2 points including those that are the result of intentional releases.
First period pins 8 team points
Second period pins 7 team points.

Go for the gusto!
They said at first it was to create more action. Now they’re slowly but surely admitting that it was just to reduce mat wrestling and put more emphasis on takedowns. The reality is the rule making power for college wrestling is in the hands at people at the top of the sport who would very happily have it become freestyle

They said at first it was to create more action. Now they’re slowly but surely admitting that it was just to reduce mat wrestling and put more emphasis on takedowns. The reality is the rule making power for college wrestling is in the hands at people at the top of the sport who would very happily have it become freestyle

No doubt, but the unintentional consequences are making it Sumo.

Reactions: ccdiver
those that wanted the change should be lobbying full time for the olympic committee to reinstitute 10 weights

those that wanted the change should be lobbying full time for the olympic committee to reinstitute 10 weights
Something has to make room for rhythm gymnastics, and speed walking. Why not choose the most historic Olympic sport dating back to ancient times that actually requires a combination of stamina, strength, skill, sacrifice, and athleticism, while also being pitted directly against one's competitors combination of same. The decision had to be made, and it makes perfect sense.

In this age of litigation and victim hood, how law suits haven't been filed to remedy this monstrosity is beyond me. Come on Cornell wrestlers, get your shit together.

PS - some will hate this, but I would sacrifice Greco to get back to 10 weights if it has to come to that.

Something has to make room for rhythm gymnastics, and speed walking. Why not choose the most historic Olympic sport dating back to ancient times that actually requires a combination of stamina, strength, skill, sacrifice, and athleticism, while also being pitted directly against one's competitors combination of same. The decision had to be made, and it makes perfect sense.

In this age of litigation and victim hood, how law suits haven't been filed to remedy this monstrosity is beyond me. Come on Cornell wrestlers, get your shit together.

PS - some will hate this, but I would sacrifice Greco to get back to 10 weights if it has to come to that.

And we haven't even begun to discuss the proliferation of novelty sports in the Winter Olympics.

The Olympic governing bodies are arbitrary and capricious-in addition to being stupid and dangerous.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT