ADVERTISEMENT

3 consecutive 10 + win seasons in 36 years if we win a bowl game

Of course the times are different too. We play a 12 game regular season (not 11) plus have extra games with the B1G Championship game and/or Bowl Game.

Reactions: Ski and RU31trap
Enough said in my opinion.
I disagree. There is plenty to be said. For example: 2-4 in those 3 seasons vs UM and OSU - unacceptable. Season ruining losses to an inferior MSU 2 years in a row - unacceptable. UM and OSU playing for the BIG East championship while we watch - unacceptable.
PSU football must be judged by our performance vs our conference rivals (16-32, awful) and by winning the conference (4 in 26 seasons, poor). Use appropriate criteria when evaluating PSU football. We aren't an Independent anymore where your criteria were how performance was judged- we are in the BIG, and we haven't and aren't performing well. Hopefully that changes in 2019.

Of course the times are different too. We play a 12 game regular season (not 11) plus have extra games with the B1G Championship game and/or Bowl Game.

Just did a quick look through and the extra game would have given JoePa a few more opportunities to do it. Impressive none the less

93- 10-2
94- 12-0
95- 9-3
96- 11-2
97- 9-3
98- 9-3
99- 10-3

05- 11-1
06- 9-4
07- 9-4
08- 11-2
09- 11-2

Just did a quick look through and the extra game would have given JoePa a few more opportunities to do it. Impressive none the less

93- 10-2
94- 12-0
95- 9-3
96- 11-2
97- 9-3
98- 9-3
99- 10-3

05- 11-1
06- 9-4
07- 9-4
08- 11-2
09- 11-2

Yeah, the 12th (potential 13th and 14th) game makes a huge difference. Definitely a nice run from 93-99. Hard to project what years we would have played in the B1G title game but an extra regular season game would have likely increased those win totals from 93-98

Reactions: RU31trap
I disagree. There is plenty to be said. For example: 2-4 in those 3 seasons vs UM and OSU - unacceptable. Season ruining losses to an inferior MSU 2 years in a row - unacceptable. UM and OSU playing for the BIG East championship while we watch - unacceptable.
PSU football must be judged by our performance vs our conference rivals (16-32, awful) and by winning the conference (4 in 26 seasons, poor). Use appropriate criteria when evaluating PSU football. We aren't an Independent anymore where your criteria were how performance was judged- we are in the BIG, and we haven't and aren't performing well. Hopefully that changes in 2019.

...are you from Boston or anywhere in New England by chance? :D

93- 10-2
94- 12-0
95- 9-3
96- 11-2
97- 9-3
98- 9-3
99- 10-3

05- 11-1
06- 9-4
07- 9-4
08- 11-2
09- 11-2

Didn't we play a "classic" during some of those years? Like when we played Arizona in 99?

LdN

As normy would say... JEEBZUS! :rolleyes:

Reactions: marshall23
We now have 13 game seasons (counting bowl) vs 12 and 11 in the past, so there is that.
Another way to look at it, if PSU wins its bowl game it will be the first time since 94-96 that PSU had a cumulative 3 year winning percentage of .800 or greater. We also have 9 conference games now, one less chance to load up on a cupcake OOC game too.

...are you from Boston or anywhere in New England by chance? :D
New Jersey Monmouth County. I suggested retiring to State College, PA, but the wife shot it down “I’d never see you”. I said that’s a feature not a bug, isn’t it? She laughed, and still said no.

He's reposting the same dreck he posted last week and the board shot him down left & right. I'ts not even worth going back at him at this point.
In the immortal words of Clark Gable, as Rhett Butler in the all-time classic Gone With the Wind “I’m sorry if the truth offends you, sir”.

Considering where we were just a few years ago mired in unjust sanctions with scholly limits and all this accomplishment is pretty amazing! During this time we have won a BIG title, which is more than Michigan, one of the BIG rivals can say. Furthermore, PSU has outplayed the conference big dog tOSU the last 3 years and more talent is on the way, which will give PSU a much better chance to compete and finish some of these games that were lost in the 4th quarter.

Yes, we’ve come a long way from the sanctions in short order, but our record against the big 2 considering our entire time in the conference shouldn’t be acceptable to anyone. And sparty? Our record against that program is completely unacceptable.

Enough said in my opinion.
Glass half full, have to agree. Aside from Trace, this was an off year. We will lose very little talent, comparatively, to OSU and UM (probably MSU, Wiscy too). CJF has the program in excellent shape. The only thing we haven't done is go to the championship series and win a MNC. We have more talent in our locker room that we've seen since the 90s.

Comparing this program to the JoePa years is foolish, IMHO. Things have changed so much. Today, with cable, HS internet and social media, it is a worldwide market. College ball used to be regional but you are hard pressed to find anyone in the top ten without significant players from FL, TX and CA. Recruiting is national. I think college ball is in danger of segregating into the 'haves and the have nots". The money for coaching staffs and facilities is becoming ridiculous and it is hard for mid-tier schools to invest without having guaranteed income. Teams like Pitt, Syracuse, UVA, Ill, Indy...all come to mind. Do they really want to pay a coach $6m per year when they have marginal facilities and cannot demonstrate guaranteed success like tOSU, Alabama, FL, LSU, TX, USC, etc. (meaning, they will play on a national stage in post season games during their careers). I think this is why the NCAA is opening up transfer rules; to try and even up the playing field so to speak

Only 5 teams have better records the last 3 years. Franklin has this program on solid footing no matter what some idiots say on this site. The recruiting has gotten even better since he has arrived and this train isn't going backwards. For the idiots that find it "unacceptable", please tell me what you plan on doing. Clearly if something is unacceptable, you have a choice to make.

Looking at the programs that are in the top 30 wins of all time and I see Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio St, Georgia and Clemson that have had 3 years arguably better than PSU's last three. We need to demand better! After all, we are elite FANS......well, WE WANNA BE!

Only 5 teams have better records the last 3 years. Franklin has this program on solid footing no matter what some idiots say on this site. The recruiting has gotten even better since he has arrived and this train isn't going backwards. For the idiots that find it "unacceptable", please tell me what you plan on doing. Clearly if something is unacceptable, you have a choice to make.

Franklin cant win da big won

This is good stuff. And in the most difficult division in all of college football.

For funsies, anyone want to guess which coach/program, since 2001, had NINE consecutive 10+ win seasons (with one MNC) before going off the rails? FWIW, Saban is working on his 11th straight 10+ win season.

Bowden’s FSU had something like 13 straight 10+ win seasons with only one MNC to show for it, that was with 11 game regular seasons. That one loss was at ND as I recall. The game where after they lost, their players ran to the camera begging they not be dropped far in the polls

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

26 seasons in the B10 and we are STILL looking up to OSU and Michigan. I don't know if it's talent, coaching or a combination of both, I'm tired of waiting to get bitch slapped by these two teams EVERY year. At what point do they start to fear us? If you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

2016: Lost to Tosu
2016: Lost b1g championship game
2017: Lost to iowa
2017: Lost to michigan
2017: Lost Fiesta Bowl

Franklin is turrible.
To be fair, after that disaster vs UM (and you know my thoughts there) I thought The Wisconsin game right afterwards was a big game - the season could have gone completely off the rails if we had lost that game. We won - so that, IMO, was a big game win for Coach Franklin.

Reactions: Howie'81
Florida State?

Let's see....Wikipedia says FSU had a 14 year streak of 10+ win season and two MNC's (1987 - 2000). They were working on a five year 10+ win streak through 2016. But, FSU wasn't the team/coach in question. That would be Mack Brown and Texas.

Sure. Objective fact based upon won - loss record. I believe that is NOT the set of criteria to evaluate PSU football. Coach Franklin has won a lot of games the last 3 seasons - fact. Coach Franklin is doing well in recruiting- fact. Coach Franklin won the Big Ten in 2016- fact. He's doing a good job - subjective, but I'll agree. However, under the actual criteria for how to judge PSU football, he is:
1-4 vs UM. FACT; 1-4 vs OSU - FACT. Has only won the BIG once in 5 seasons-FACT. It all depends on what set of criteria you use. Mine are the real ones. Those others are merely feel-good fluff better suited for when PSU was an Independent. Use whichever you'd prefer.

In the immortal words of Clark Gable, as Rhett Butler in the all-time classic Gone With the Wind “I’m sorry if the truth offends you, sir”.

I’m not offended. But if you go back to last week’s thread, you were met with much disagreement and disdain. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion.

Looking at the programs that are in the top 30 wins of all time and I see Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio St, Georgia and Clemson that have had 3 years arguably better than PSU's last three. We need to demand better! After all, we are elite FANS......well, WE WANNA BE!

And at the end of the day, whst the hell do all those Michigan or Goergia wins mean? What championships have they won? Great, they beat up on the cupcakes.

Sure. Objective fact based upon won - loss record. I believe that is NOT the set of criteria to evaluate PSU football. Coach Franklin has won a lot of games the last 3 seasons - fact. Coach Franklin is doing well in recruiting- fact. Coach Franklin won the Big Ten in 2016- fact. He's doing a good job - subjective, but I'll agree. However, under the actual criteria for how to judge PSU football, he is:
1-4 vs UM. FACT; 1-4 vs OSU - FACT. Has only won the BIG once in 5 seasons-FACT. It all depends on what set of criteria you use. Mine are the real ones. Those others are merely feel-good fluff better suited for when PSU was an Independent. Use whichever you'd prefer.
So we either need to be Alabama or we suck?

We were heavily sanctioned; fact. We were supposed to be down for 10 years according to all the pundits; fact. We’ve never consistently beat OSU and Michigan; fact.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT