ADVERTISEMENT

Awesome trail. IMO, it is the best, most exciting trail in the national park system. Did it for the first time at 64. I thought it was tough going up, but for me it was much tougher coming back down because you are forced to look down the entire way....scary as hell. I felt a real sense of accomplishment after doing it. Would highly recommend it. IIRC it's about 3 miles round trip... Parking lot to the top and back.
I had tunnel vision the entire hike, and agree it was way harder for me descending.

My family and I just returned from our grand tour of National Parks (Grand Canyon, Arches, Capital Reef, Bryce & Zion as well as Monument Valley). Zion has this trail that blows my mind “Angels Landing”. Has anyone done this?

I must admit I did not. I can handle a couple hundred feet but a couple thousand with only intermittent hand holds? That’s beyond my limit.
My son and his girlfriend did that hike (plus others) last week. Was only uncomfortable when someone was coming the other way and one had to let go of the chains. he thought that was a bit dicey.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
Ditto that, I did the Beehive Trail at Acadia that was enough for me. I was hugging the mountain face in a couple spots. I didn't know what I was getting into. I was dumb to wear worn out old sneakers climbing up the steel rungs. But felt amazing hitting the summit and then hanging out on Sand Beach after the whole hike. I jumped in the 50 degree ocean after that hike! Can't imagine what Precipice was like. I have heard that is a bit harder.
The upper 25% is all hand rails and ladders across the cliff face. Not really dangerous but it 's enough to keep you focused.

Bump. Just did Angels Landing - spectacular!

I was smart. Got up early, got first shuttle at 7, and was up there with only 15-20 people in view. Didn’t have to pass anyone or get passed. I thought the scetchier parts were early after getting to the final ascent - a few traverses. The steeper parts with the chains weren’t too bad. I actually thought going down was easier - hammered down without too much thought. Halfway down the ridge me and a few people started running into crowds. I would not want to be dealing with that for too long as you can’t control who’s going to panic or be reckless.

We were able to ascend from the river in full shade - another reason to roll early.

Tons of cute chipmunks on top.

Doing Watchman hike in a bit to catch sunset

Kalepa Ridge Trail on Kauai was probably my favorite hiking experience of all time. Crazy drops on the sides but with amazing views of the ocean, waterfalls and after the clouds cleared we had double rainbows overlooking the Kalalau Valley (end of the Kalalau Trail)...not crazy scary but a bit dicey with the wind in a couple spots

awesome...jealous....I did this a few weeks back:

maxresdefault.jpg

Holy shit...nuts! just got back from Yellowstone...did some nice walks but nothing like that. was more interested in catching trout and seeing wildlife...

Reactions: Obliviax
The other hike is Longs Peak in Rocky Mountain National Park. I've climbed several 14ers but didn't make it to the top of this one. The night before there were thunderstorms so there was a little ice and snow up there. It was windy and cold in the morning. Past this notch in a ridge called the Keyhole you walk along this steep slope called the Narrows, no chain or cables to hold. At few points it's narrow cliff edge with a straight drop off and that's where we turned back, too cold and slick in spots. That's one hike I won't do again. There's just no margin for error.

https://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=long1&peak=Longs+Peak

I did Long's Peak last year. Everything past the Keyhole is really exposed until you get to the summit, which is a nice, flat summit. You made a good call turning back if it was slick.

That hike at Zion looks really pretty, with less exposure than Long's Peak. Having the chain/cables to grab onto would be a big plus at Zion as well. There are a couple of spots on the Long's Peak climb where they have grouted handholds into the mountain, but that's about all the help you will get there. Avoiding the crowds at both places is key.

Reactions: Mile High Lion
Everyone in Colorado wants to climb the 14ers (mountains where the peak is at or above 14,000 feet).

There are 53 of them in Colorado. I've done one myself -- Mt. Bierstadt, the "easiest" of the bunch.

Arguably, the most dangerous of the Colorado 14ers is Capitol Peak out southwest of Aspen. FIVE people died climbing it just last summer. Knife's edge - no thank you. The guy in this video is an idiot (IMO).

I have lot of friends in the Roaring Fork Valley that have gone.Two that didn't make it back.The Bowl and Conundrum are more than a test for me.

Damn, I almost fell off my sofa reading through this thread tonight. Kudos to all of you that have been fortunate enough and brave enough to experience some of these great journeys.

My favorite hike.....repeated many times over the years.....is the hike from the Creamery to Beaver Stadium. And of course the equally thrilling hike from Beaver Stadium to The Creamery! Just DO it!

We just recently returned from days in Arches and Canyonlands. The rest of our trip which included Zion sadly had to be cancelled. There is no possible way you could ever get me up that Angels Landing trail. I can't handle cliffs without some kind of guard rail. I even cringe watching other people get close to the edge. The hike up to the Delicate Arch pushed me to my limit, especially when it rained some just as we got to the top.

Yea delicate arch can get really slippery on that smooth rock.

Our family suffered an unfortunate tragedy a few years back when my nephew died at the top of Mt. Whitney after taking an Eagle Scout troop on a long range trek on the John Muir trail. They set up camp in a high meadow with the intent of doing a night ascent of Mt. Whitney to view the sunrise the next morning. Two separate tent camps, no metal poles, etc. Very safe yet an electric storm sent a bolt of lightening into his tent killing him and a young scout instantly.
He was a great scout master and outdoorsman. He lived in the Napa Valley and was the crush master at a boutique winery there. Terrible loss. Hiking at the higher elevations in rugged terrain like the Sierras can be a risky proposition and takes a lot of training and planning.

Machu Picchu dropped from my bucket list last week. What a rich, spiritual, glorious experience. South America is wonderous.

Reactions: wex18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT