ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

Good for him! We all know wrestling is a difficult sport that takes a ton of dedication and sacrifice, it can be a grind even for those who love it. Once that fire goes out, I can't imagine pushing through, especially at the next level (college). Best wishes to him and I admire his desire to serve in the military.

I know nothing about the requirements for entry into any special ops groups, but he seems small to me. Do these elite groups have min. size and height requirements?
Where is biomed when you need him?

• Haha
Reactions: LHavenlion
Sure and thanks. In Ranger school my partner was 6'4" and yes I had to carry him. I also had to take my turn as RTO and carry the radio and machine gunner and carry the M-60. I was stupid enought to volunteer be the RTO on the first day in mountain phase and that extra 40 pounds on top of the normal 100 pounds or so was a killer going up the mountain... don't let anyone tell you there are not mountains in GA.
In the unit I did everything I expected my men to do from the front so I had the same phyical requirements.

Finally does prior service get you some additonal points in KYPSW? Asking for a friend...
I served in the 506th and run the Currahee every year. That mountain is no joke to run up. North Georgia has some beautiful mountains and higher peaks than the Central PA mountains I grew up in.

Never carried the 60 but had to pack the mortar system. Made for some fun times walking through the woods…

How do you evaluate a D3 kid like this, as the level of competition he throttled is definitely several cuts below? Zero offensive points surrendered is impressive.

I guess if he expressed some interest, we would bring him in to the NLWC for a day and give him a go with Aaron, so he can get a feel and give his assessment?

It very well could be a D3 champion's dream to wrestle for Cael. Having him go with Cochran directly doesn't seem the right thing to do. I doubt he would get much NIL nor 9.9, so his payday elsewhere would seem significantly better if that is his motivation.

PS - this kid is ripped

How do you evaluate a D3 kid like this, as the level of competition he throttled is definitely several cuts below? Zero offensive points surrendered is impressive.

I guess if he expressed some interest, we would bring him in to the NLWC for a day and give him a go with Aaron, so he can get a feel and give his assessment?

It very well could be a D3 champion's dream to wrestle for Cael. Having him go with Cochran directly doesn't seem the right thing to do. I doubt he would get much NIL nor 9.9, so his payday elsewhere would seem significantly better if that is his motivation.

PS - this kid is ripped
Why not check his grades? If he did well as a student, he could come in under an academic scholarship. I'm pretty sure there are no restrictions in that area.

PS - this kid is ripped
Yeah, on paper it's so hard to draw any conclusions.

Pro: 2x D3 national champ, 1 loss in those 2 years, high bonus rate.

Con: the schedule -- almost exclusively D3 guys. He only faced one D1 guy -- lost to a Northern Iowa career backup, during his true freshman year. Also, has he competed in any freestyle events.

IMO he's low likelihood because he has 2 years left and Mirasola will be ready to start in 2026 (if not 2025). But he appears to be low risk.

Reactions: ccdiver
Yeah, on paper it's so hard to draw any conclusions.

Pro: 2x D3 national champ, 1 loss in those 2 years, high bonus rate.

Con: the schedule -- almost exclusively D3 guys. He only faced one D1 guy -- lost to a Northern Iowa career backup, during his true freshman year. Also, has he competed in any freestyle events.

IMO he's low likelihood because he has 2 years left and Mirasola will be ready to start in 2026 (if not 2025). But he appears to be low risk.
Well, Boone McDermott who wrestled for Rutgers and Oregon State was a D3 national champ at 285. He did okay in D1, but nothing earth shattering. Otoh, he mostly was competitive.

Ironically, Rutgers fans, whose last two 285 guys (and, honestly, the majority of their recent AAs) came via the transfer portal, were very butthurt by Yara leaving via the same portal. No sense of humor in that fanbase.

Braeden Davis beat the 2 time defending D2 national champ at 125 as a HS senior if you want a comparison of the levels to this.

I'm all for welcoming D2/D3/NAIA wrestlers if they want to join and fit the culture ... but would not pencil them in for anything more than being a room guy.

Braeden Davis beat the 2 time defending D2 national champ at 125 as a HS senior if you want a comparison of the levels to this.

I'm all for welcoming D2/D3/NAIA wrestlers if they want to join and fit the culture ... but would not pencil them in for anything more than being a room guy.
Carlton Haselrig would like a word with you in private. :)

But if PSU came calling he’d go to win championships. Plus he’s from NJ. It’s Cael’s choice.

Is that where Deliverance was filmed?
70S Banjo GIF

So, for Hendrickson to go to grad school at Michigan, he’d have to demonstrate a compelling reason for the USAF to send him to grad school. One of my classmates at VT was a USAFA grad, who went there straight from USAFA, and he had a stellar research program ready to go from his first day. They aren’t going to pay for him to get his MBA at Michigan out of the goodness of their hearts. Unless he’s already prepared a research plan, and gotten approval, it’s not happening.

I served in the 506th and run the Currahee every year. That mountain is no joke to run up. North Georgia has some beautiful mountains and higher peaks than the Central PA mountains I grew up in.

Never carried the 60 but had to pack the mortar system. Made for some fun times walking through the woods…
You ever have a nice meal of spaghetti before your run? : )

Thank you for your service- That's an impressive resume.

As a guy about that size (or smaller) I always wondered if some of the training requirements (like carrying your 240 pound partner, maybe) would tend to weed out people who didn't weigh as much. Can you comment on that type of thing?

I won’t speak for him but in my experience raw strength is rarely the issue in RS. The only event that tests anything close to raw strength is doing six pull-ups on your first morning.

Endurance and “grinta”, to quote a dead relative, are the biggest things.

The bigger guys are far less economical and really, really suffer towards the end of mountains. More to haul up a mountain, more to feed and hydrate, more to absorb every single step while hallucinating walking down some god forsaken mountain in North Georgia.

So, for Hendrickson to go to grad school at Michigan, he’d have to demonstrate a compelling reason for the USAF to send him to grad school. One of my classmates at VT was a USAFA grad, who went there straight from USAFA, and he had a stellar research program ready to go from his first day. They aren’t going to pay for him to get his MBA at Michigan out of the goodness of their hearts. Unless he’s already prepared a research plan, and gotten approval, it’s not happening.
Does it change by academy? My nephew went to Annapolis and he won a scholarship to any grad program he wanted to go to. He went to the Wharton School for free.

Does it change by academy? My nephew went to Annapolis and he won a scholarship to any grad program he wanted to go to. He went to the Wharton School for free.

What he COULD do is join whatever AF calls their version of WCAP and do it at Michigan. Just like Morgan McIntosh is doing at Penn State.

However, he’d either have to do legit grad school research for them to pay for it, or pay for it himself.

What he COULD do is join whatever AF calls their version of WCAP and do it at Michigan. Just like Morgan McIntosh is doing at Penn State.

However, he’d either have to do legit grad school research for them to pay for it, or pay for it himself.
Again, is the research part an AF requirement? The Navy does not have research as a requirement. Or at least did not 15 or so years ago.

Deliverance was filmed on the Chattooga River, Georgia/SC. The early portion where the construction was being done, was actually the building of Jocassee Reservoir. I live (seasonally) near Jocassee and it's quite a remarkable place, actually a temperate rain forest. I'll be flyfishing for wild trout in one of the feeders to the lake today. More trivia, the kid who played the dueling banjo porch scene still works (or was working until fairly recently) in a diner in Clayton, GA. I never went to see him, but apparently lots of people do and he's supposedly pretty good about saying hi, allowing you to take photos with him, etc..

You ever have a nice meal of spaghetti before your run? : )

Stands alone!!! Was with 506 in Korea, 1996, outstanding unit!!! Thanks for your service!!

Reactions: hlstone
No. Deliverance was filmed on the Chattooga, which is a designated wild and scenic river. Both the Chattooga and Tallulah Rivers flow into Tugaloo Lake, the Chattooga from the north/northeast and Tallulah from the west/northwest, and are great for whitewater rafting/kayaking.

Edit: I hadn't read billrag's post when I wrote this.

Reactions: hlstone
Deliverance was filmed on the Chattooga River, Georgia/SC. The early portion where the construction was being done, was actually the building of Jocassee Reservoir. I live (seasonally) near Jocassee and it's quite a remarkable place, actually a temperate rain forest. I'll be flyfishing for wild trout in one of the feeders to the lake today. More trivia, the kid who played the dueling banjo porch scene still works (or was working until fairly recently) in a diner in Clayton, GA. I never went to see him, but apparently lots of people do and he's supposedly pretty good about saying hi, allowing you to take photos with him, etc..
How 'bout the guy in the love scene? He's probably pretty old by now.:D

• Wow
Reactions: billrag
Carlton Haselrig would like a word with you in private. :)
Not all lower division guys are made equal. I wish we could see them in the D1 tournament honestly. Certain styles carry over well no matter what the level. Those 57s that stepped in for Levi and Teemer in the all star classic…. That was rough. I think this kid could be a tough to score on at any level. We’ll see!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT