ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

Good for him! We all know wrestling is a difficult sport that takes a ton of dedication and sacrifice, it can be a grind even for those who love it. Once that fire goes out, I can't imagine pushing through, especially at the next level (college). Best wishes to him and I admire his desire to serve in the military.

I know nothing about the requirements for entry into any special ops groups, but he seems small to me. Do these elite groups have min. size and height requirements?
I graduated from Ranger School and then spent 2 years in a ranger unit as the number 2 guy then the commander. At the time I was 5'9" and weighed 140 pounds. I was told when I joined that you can see the big guys a mile away... but the small guys that can run forever those are the ones you have to worry about.
So no.. if you can do the physical part there is no weight/height requirments (other than the standard weight hieght requirement by service)

I graduated from Ranger School and then spent 2 years in a ranger unit as the number 2 guy then the commander. At the time I was 5'9" and weighed 140 pounds. I was told when I joined that you can see the big guys a mile away... but the small guys that can run forever those are the ones you have to worry about.
So no.. if you can do the physical part there is no weight/height requirments (other than the standard weight hieght requirement by service)
Admiral McRaven speaks about the "Munchkin Crew" during his Seal Team training. It begins at around 1:50. Size doesn't matter in wrestling or high level military operations.

Thank you for your service- That's an impressive resume.

As a guy about that size (or smaller) I always wondered if some of the training requirements (like carrying your 240 pound partner, maybe) would tend to weed out people who didn't weigh as much. Can you comment on that type of thing?

Reactions: Cowbell Man
Still elite, though, of course.
Maybe. While he did qualify for 2 NCAA’s with Harvard he only qualified for one big ten tournament with Rutgers. The Van Brill Rutgers bar set for “elite” was actually qualifying for 2 big ten tournaments.

So….we probably need a ruling.

Must be fun transferring as a grad student two times.

Maybe. While he did qualify for 2 NCAA’s with Harvard he only qualified for one big ten tournament with Rutgers. The Van Brill Rutgers bar set for “elite” was actually qualifying for 2 big ten tournaments.

So….we probably need a ruling.

Must be fun transferring as a grad student two times.
I meant Rutgers is still elite. LOL.

Thank you for your service- That's an impressive resume.

As a guy about that size (or smaller) I always wondered if some of the training requirements (like carrying your 240 pound partner, maybe) would tend to weed out people who didn't weigh as much. Can you comment on that type of thing?
Sure and thanks. In Ranger school my partner was 6'4" and yes I had to carry him. I also had to take my turn as RTO and carry the radio and machine gunner and carry the M-60. I was stupid enought to volunteer be the RTO on the first day in mountain phase and that extra 40 pounds on top of the normal 100 pounds or so was a killer going up the mountain... don't let anyone tell you there are not mountains in GA.
In the unit I did everything I expected my men to do from the front so I had the same phyical requirements.

Finally does prior service get you some additonal points in KYPSW? Asking for a friend...

Not a huge value add for Michigan. Another low AA adding a few points
Buys time. Their HWTs look like they'll struggle to qualify for nationals, and Correa doesn't arrive until Fall 2025.

Slavikouski was set to go to Michigan last year right up until Davison became available. So I'd assume that's his most likely destination.

Plus Beloglazov could use a guy who can read Cyrillic.

Nate reportedly got pretty big shortly after quitting. Word was he was in the 160's and still lean.

Reactions: Sullivan
Nate reportedly got pretty big shortly after quitting. Word was he was in the 160's and still lean.
I am not sure how much weight he was cutting in high school, but I would not be at all surprised if that factor alone was significant in his decision. I know it was a significant factor for me in deciding not to wrestle my senior year in college. Like Nate, I had also lost the passion for the sport. Wrestling is too tough of a sport to compete in if your heart is not in it. I respect his decision. It couldn't have been easy. To walk away from something you are so good at, especially with all the expectations I am sure people had placed on him, took a lot of maturity on his part. Kudos to him.

Sure and thanks. In Ranger school my partner was 6'4" and yes I had to carry him. I also had to take my turn as RTO and carry the radio and machine gunner and carry the M-60. I was stupid enought to volunteer be the RTO on the first day in mountain phase and that extra 40 pounds on top of the normal 100 pounds or so was a killer going up the mountain... don't let anyone tell you there are not mountains in GA.
In the unit I did everything I expected my men to do from the front so I had the same phyical requirements.

Finally does prior service get you some additonal points in KYPSW? Asking for a friend...
I sincerely appreciate your service.

No.

I am not sure how much weight he was cutting in high school, but I would not be at all surprised if that factor alone was significant in his decision. I know it was a significant factor for me in deciding not to wrestle my senior year in college. Like Nate, I had also lost the passion for the sport. Wrestling is too tough of a sport to compete in if your heart is not in it. I respect his decision. It couldn't have been easy. To walk away from something you are so good at, especially with all the expectations I am sure people had placed on him, took a lot of maturity on his part. Kudos to him.
He said himself it was significant and he was enjoying being able to eat now. IIRC he took time off for a concussion and when he came back he realized he enjoyed life as a non-wrestler more.

Impressive! Thanks for serving, especially in that capacity. And thanks for the info on physical requirements - makes sense. You must be one tough and strong dude to be able to carry your 6'-4" partner.

Reactions: hlstone
Seems like every time someone enters the portal the automatic answer is Michigan.

It's probably because they've been more aggressive in the portal than most. Suriano, Micic, Storr, Brucki, Finesilver, DeAugustino, Cannon, Griffith, Gomez, and Davidson, to name a few.

This year, 53.5 of their 71 NCAA points came through the portal.

It's probably because they've been more aggressive in the portal than most. Suriano, Micic, Storr, Brucki, Finesilver, DeAugustino, Cannon, Griffith, Gomez, and Davidson, to name a few.

Interesting, so they appear to build their team through transfers, but is that really the best way to put together a team?

It all depends on how much $$$ 2nd place is worth.
They’ll always be #1 in Mike Amine’s heart though.

social media comedy GIF by CBC

Roughly 10k per point…..lol. This is ridiculous.

Reactions: jack66
Interesting, so they appear to build their team through transfers, but is that really the best way to put together a team?
Not building thru transfers. Have they gotten a transfer for more than 1 year since Micic?

Their transfers have been to allow their recruits to shirt. It doesn't always work out -- some of their recruits aren't ready after the shirt. But that's the plan.

I sincerely appreciate your service.

No.
I guess I know how Rutgers feels now... Started the season on a hot streak, followed by an end of season collapse. Still had high hopes when I qualified yet again for the Big Ten tournament picks and even put up some early impressive numbers, and yet when it was done I was nowhere near the top. Vowing to make my mark at the NCAA tournament picks I started slow and finished in the middle. For the season I was not good, I was not bad I was ... Meh. I hate being the Rutgers of the KYPSW...

• Haha
Reactions: CentexLion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT