ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic Team Trials previews - April 19 & 20

Lots of great youngsters up top. Lockett vs Shapiro to start it off. U17 champ vs U20 champ. Then the one everyone wants to see with Mesenbrink vs Shapiro. Should be fun but I think Mesenbrink gasses him out. Shapiro hasn’t had the best tank this past folk season.
Shapiro beat Lockett the one (?) time they met in folkstyle, in 2022 at WNO. As for gas tank issues: Shapiro went 6-1 at NCAAs, where the only loss was after a concussion-type injury. He had the most bonus points in the tournament (tied with two others at 7.5), with two MDs, a TF, and two pins. His victims? The only guys to bonus Franek this year were Shapiro, Robb, and Haines. Shapiro was the only one to bonus Lovett this year. The only bonus losses by Askey this year were a pin by Andonian, and two TFs by Shapiro. In every one of those wins at NCAAs, Shapiro was pushing until the final whistle. Zero gas tank issues. But hey, that's just one weekend, so recency bias. He only had ten TFs this season.

Lots of great youngsters up top. Lockett vs Shapiro to start it off. U17 champ vs U20 champ. Then the one everyone wants to see with Mesenbrink vs Shapiro. Should be fun but I think Mesenbrink gasses him out. Shapiro hasn’t had the best tank this past folk season. Levi vs Facundo could be interesting. I think most people pick Levi but Facundo is a much better freestyler than folkstyler. I really want to see if any of these young guys can give JB a go. I hope so but feel like they have a little ways to go still. I do think Nolf beats JB though and we see Dake vs Nolf again
Had tickets to the trials that got cancelled by Covid. Bummer. Now …. this! So many Lions to see. The Old, the current, and the future. This is indeed gonna be pure fire. I’m skipping a big family event in order so sit in BJC and watch what I would call a “once in a lifetime” opportunity to feel the stinging heat of Nittany Lion dominance.

Had tickets to the trials that got cancelled by Covid. Bummer. Now …. this! So many Lions to see. The Old, the current, and the future. This is indeed gonna be pure fire. I’m skipping a big family event in order so sit in BJC and watch what I would call a “once in a lifetime” opportunity to feel the stinging heat of Nittany Lion dominance.
It really is incredible how the 74kg and 86kg weight classes in particular look like just another day at the NLWC.

I saw on social media that the OTT is the Sunkist Kids Wrestling Club swan song. Truly a shame for such a storied club to meet its end
Any word on what happens with their coaches/athletes? What is Kennedy Blades going to do, transfer to Iowa?

Shapiro beat Lockett the one (?) time they met in folkstyle, in 2022 at WNO. As for gas tank issues: Shapiro went 6-1 at NCAAs, where the only loss was after a concussion-type injury. He had the most bonus points in the tournament (tied with two others at 7.5), with two MDs, a TF, and two pins. His victims? The only guys to bonus Franek this year were Shapiro, Robb, and Haines. Shapiro was the only one to bonus Lovett this year. The only bonus losses by Askey this year were a pin by Andonian, and two TFs by Shapiro. In every one of those wins at NCAAs, Shapiro was pushing until the final whistle. Zero gas tank issues. But hey, that's just one weekend, so recency bias. He only had ten TFs this season.
I understand you love your guy and for good reason but do you think he can keep up with the pace Mesenbrink keeps? I don’t. I guess we will find out. And enough about the “concussion type” injury. If that is what it was then he shouldn’t have continued wrestling the tournament. But like you said, he did continue and wrestled really well so obviously no concussion. He was 1-2 against Cardenas this year so maybe it’s just a tough matchup for him

I understand you love your guy and for good reason but do you think he can keep up with the pace Mesenbrink keeps? I don’t. I guess we will find out
Why do you think he had "gassing issues" this year? Can you point to some matches in which that occurred? The only match he had in which he was in any danger at the end of a match was against Brignola, in which he found himself in a weird position in which he just held on for the win. Note: I believe I watched every one of his matches this year. I think 75% of his wins were by bonus; his closest regular decision win was by three points. I also don't recall him ever stalling, much less get called for stalling, at the end of any match in which his endurance was in question.

Predictions are very difficult, especially when they involve the future, so I'm not making predictions. I'm trying to understand why you think Shapiro had gas tank issues. Please don't use CKLV as your only basis for that opinion.

Why do you think he had "gassing issues" this year? Can you point to some matches in which that occurred? The only match he had in which he was in any danger at the end of a match was against Brignola, in which he found himself in a weird position in which he just held on for the win. Note: I believe I watched every one of his matches this year. I think 75% of his wins were by bonus; his closest regular decision win was by three points. I also don't recall him ever stalling, much less get called for stalling, at the end of any match in which his endurance was in question.

Predictions are very difficult, especially when they involve the future, so I'm not making predictions. I'm trying to understand why you think Shapiro had gas tank issues. Please don't use CKLV as your only basis for that opinion.
I’ll go back and watch some matches to try and give you an informed opinion

He had another undiagnosed concussion for which he was allowed to continue at NCAAs?!? That's really poor and putting his long term health at risk.

You're getting like the Iowa guys with the injury excuses for Spencer where every time Shapiro has a poor outing, it's because he had a concussion, none of which were diagnosed by Cornell's medical staff, and after which, he was allowed to continue without restriction every time. You'll have to excuse me if it sounds like crying wolf at this point.

How about this one? It’s the first match I went and rewatched by the way. He starts hard and absolutely fades. Gives up a stall point in the 3rd. Plus, look at his body language during every stoppage. Slow to get up and back to center. I think this counts? How about you? I know you mentioned this match so I wanted to see it. Not sure what weird position. You might be talking about their other match which was close as well where Meyer scored late to seal the win though

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
I understand you love your guy and for good reason but do you think he can keep up with the pace Mesenbrink keeps? I don’t. I guess we will find out. And enough about the “concussion type” injury. If that is what it was then he shouldn’t have continued wrestling the tournament. But like you said, he did continue and wrestled really well so obviously no concussion. He was 1-2 against Cardenas this year so maybe it’s just a tough matchup for him
Same poster claimed Shapiro wrestled multiple matches at CKLV after being concussed.

Which is accusing Cornell of medical malpractice.

Should we be skeptcal of the claims or concur with the accusation?

Shapiro vs Messenbrink interests me a ton. Freestyle is both of their best styles and stylistically I think Shapiro may be the toughest test out there for Mess. It is partly why I think he will do better at 165 than 157, as I don't see anyone at 165 (assuming KOT and Hamiti move up) being able to keep up with him. However, Shapiro is probably the slickest guy in the NCAA and his scramble ability could lead to perfect counters as Messenbrink pressures in. I though Carr would give Mess similar problems and that combined with his gameplan got him the win. I think Messenbrink gets it done because top/bottom won't be a factor but if they wrestled in folk I would really have to think about who to pick.

Reactions: zzs006
Same poster claimed Shapiro wrestled multiple matches at CKLV after being concussed.

Which is accusing Cornell of medical malpractice.

Should we be skeptcal of the claims or concur with the accusation?
GIF by Paramount Movies

Shapiro vs Messenbrink interests me a ton. Freestyle is both of their best styles and stylistically I think Shapiro may be the toughest test out there for Mess. It is partly why I think he will do better at 165 than 157, as I don't see anyone at 165 (assuming KOT and Hamiti move up) being able to keep up with him. However, Shapiro is probably the slickest guy in the NCAA and his scramble ability could lead to perfect counters as Messenbrink pressures in. I though Carr would give Mess similar problems and that combined with his gameplan got him the win. I think Messenbrink gets it done because top/bottom won't be a factor but if they wrestled in folk I would really have to think about who to pick.
I agree. Shapiro is as slick as they come and I can see him getting a few clean tds on MM. I do think he fades though as mesenbrink continues pressuring. Freestyle is absolutely their best styles and they are both dynamic from neutral. It’s the match everyone has been wanting to see since U20’s last year. I definitely think Shapiro could win but I don’t think it happens. I do think it will be an extremely tough match for MM though. I kind of think Levi is the tougher matchup for Shapiro though. His baseline defense is so good and he’s so hard to score on. Those are the things that gave Shapiro trouble with Cardenas and Levi is just much better than Cardenas. Very different styles between Levi and MM and I just think Levi’s gives Meyer more trouble

Last edited:
He had another undiagnosed concussion for which he was allowed to continue at NCAAs?!? That's really poor and putting his long term health at risk.

You're getting like the Iowa guys with the injury excuses for Spencer where every time Shapiro has a poor outing, it's because he had a concussion, none of which were diagnosed by Cornell's medical staff, and after which, he was allowed to continue without restriction every time. You'll have to excuse me if it sounds like crying wolf at this point.
You'll note a couple of things: 1) he had something like a concussion; had he been diagnosed by medical staff with an actual concussion, he would not have been allowed to continue; 2) had he had a undiagnosed concussion, do you think he would have come back that night with two major decision victories?; 3) the Cornell trainer is familiar with concussions and concussion protocol, and as an example removed Foca from the EIWA tournament one year.

I'm not at all like Spencer fanbois. Did you see the loss to Cardenas at NCAAs? The one in which he landed on his head while in the lead, laid on his back for about a minute holding his head, was taken away for concussion protocol, and was a completely different wrestler afterwards? You call that a "poor outing"? Really? Shapiro was 29-3 this year, and anyone who saw those three losses would know that he was having issues, and looked unlike any other time this season.

Shapiro bonused Lovett? Thought they were at different weights.

Also, Kasak had a bonus win over Lovett in the NCAA consolation bracket.

Reactions: danoftw

How about this one? It’s the first match I went and rewatched by the way. He starts hard and absolutely fades. Gives up a stall point in the 3rd. Plus, look at his body language during every stoppage. Slow to get up and back to center. I think this counts? How about you? I know you mentioned this match so I wanted to see it. Not sure what weird position. You might be talking about their other match which was close as well where Meyer scored late to seal the win though
I was referring to their dual meet. That's the only match I know of where he showed any gas tank issues. Also, he's always been slow to get back to the middle. In the EIWA final you linked, he had over two minutes RT, and I have no idea why the ref called stalling there. It's not like he was backing up or anything. In fact, he was the last one to make any offensive move (in the final :10): not a sign of a gas tank issue.

After all this concussion talk with Shapiro and the Yianni wrestle-off debacle vs Nick, I’m beginning to wonder if they should be looking for new medical/training staff up in Ithaca….

You'll note a couple of things: 1) he had something like a concussion; had he been diagnosed by medical staff with an actual concussion, he would not have been allowed to continue; 2) had he had a undiagnosed concussion, do you think he would have come back that night with two major decision victories?; 3) the Cornell trainer is familiar with concussions and concussion protocol, and as an example removed Foca from the EIWA tournament one year.

I'm not at all like Spencer fanbois. Did you see the loss to Cardenas at NCAAs? The one in which he landed on his head while in the lead, laid on his back for about a minute holding his head, was taken away for concussion protocol, and was a completely different wrestler afterwards? You call that a "poor outing"? Really? Shapiro was 29-3 this year, and anyone who saw those three losses would know that he was having issues, and looked unlike any other time this season.
It was a poor outing. If the issue was caused by a concussion (or any sort of "concussion-like" neurological injury that the Cornell training staff obviously definitely would have known was a concussion if he had an actual concussion) then he should not have been allowed to continue. By allowing him to continue, they are either giving him a clean bill of health or intentionally jeopardizing his future health (or just making a medical error opening Cornell to lawsuits). No one should be messing with concussions in this day and age.

Carter @86kg pre-seed
I'll just lay this down. The Olympics have made wrestling an absolute disgrace with their lack of weight categories. Just a damn shame.

I'll just lay this down. The Olympics have made wrestling an absolute disgrace with their lack of weight categories. Just a damn shame.
Agreed. It's not supposed to be about limiting opportunities for competition. A 40% reduction in the weight classes competing is awful. Yes. It's better than dropping the sport entirely, but how in h*&# was that ever on the table.

Reactions: vhsalum and Hotshoe
Dudes acting like children on social media. Meanwhile Dake is mourning his father - I think he’s going to go beast mode for his dad.
Personally, I never understood Carter wrestling in this. Go heal, and come back in 4 years. No way I thought he could make the lower weight either.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
Agreed. It's not supposed to be about limiting opportunities for competition. A 40% reduction in the weight classes competing is awful. Yes. It's better than dropping the sport entirely, but how in h*&# was that ever on the table.
It's what everyone has had to settle for. It's a fking disgrace what the OAC has done to an original sport. But hey, we have the highly athletic sport of curling.

Well, I've lost both my parents. One at 17, my Father. My Mother in my late 20's. Yeah, didn't care about anything other than family. It's 50/50 how Dake approaches this tourney.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
Losing a parent is the biggest punch to the gut their is. It changes your entire world and outlook. Losing your Father... It's a huge ask to be mentally okay.

Reactions: nerfstate
Honestly, I find it hard to believe this travesty has continued into this cycle. All of these world bodies are corrupt to the core. Think about it, US, Russia and Iran are the powerhouses. All that it would take is a horse head in the bed of the right IOC official(s). Putin has done worse for less. ;-)

• Love
Reactions: Hotshoe
Yeah, not happening. There is no walk anywhere to the finals. That rarely happens.
I mean it’s all semantics but I don’t see anybody on that half of the bracket that causes him any difficultly except maaaaaybe Cenzo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT