ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic Team Trials previews - April 19 & 20

spider-man.gif

57kg
4/5 Nico vs Spencer .... that's straight fire. Nico hangs with him, but winning is another matter.
Lilledahl does not have a brutal spot at 9.... he could make a little run.
Fix vs Suriano probable 3/6.

65kg Insane obviously... All these brackets are insane.
Gut feeling is Yianni @ 2 has a clearer path than Nick Lee @ 1, with a sucked-down James Green as the 3.

EDIT - I typed that before I remembered ZAIN TRAIN is lurking on Yianni’s half

Everyone on Nick Lee's half is tough.
Bartlett vs Alirez possible 4/5 if Beau can get past tough vet Nahshon Garrett.

74kg Insane.
Depth of this bracket has been discussed.
I'm surprised Cenzo only pulls a 7 seed based on his past freestyle success.
Nolf has a much tougher path to finals than JB.

86kg - Fairly insane bracket.
Folks have already mentioned Starocci vs PD3 in the 6/11, with Trent Hidley on deck at 3.
4/5 Markie vs Ringer. Amazing first round match.

97kg - Snooze fest for J'Den.
4/5 Nate Jackson v Kollin Moore is interesting.

125 -
Top half of 125kg is paper thin.
2 Gwiz & 3 Kerk makes the bottom half ... damn.... tough. 4 seed would have been much better for Kerk.
But, I guess he has to beat all of these guys anyway. Seeds probably don't matter in the end for this type of tourney.

Last edited:
57kg
4/5 Nico vs Spencer .... that's straight fire. Nico hangs with him, but winning is another matter.

Gut feeling is Yianni @ 2 has a clearer path than Nick Lee @ 1, with a sucked-down James Green as the 3.

74kg Insane.

Folks have already mentioned Starocci vs PD3 in the 6/11, with Trent Hidley on deck at 3.

125 -
2 Gwiz & 3 Kerk makes the bottom half ... damn.... tough. 4 seed would have been much better for Kerk.
But, I guess he has to beat all of these guys anyway. Seeds probably don't matter in the end for this type of tourney.
Think McKenna takes out Green which nullifies that

57kg

74kg Insane.

125 -
Also not sure Gwiz is any more difficult than Zillmer these days. Four would’ve meant having to go through Hendrickson in the QF.

i’ve got my eyes on the potential gilman-forrest quarter. if gilman is sluggish off the scale, forrest’s scrambling ability is very dangerous for him imo.
I think most of the high school kids are at levels never before thought of, and Forrest certainly has been amazing, but this is now the grown men who have all been there and done that at the world level. Nato is one thing, but these guys are another.

I think most of the high school kids are at levels never before thought of, and Forrest certainly has been amazing, but this is now the grown men who have all been there and done that at the world level. Nato is one thing, but these guys are another.
Gilman is old, has a huge cut, and has barely wrestled the last couple years. Peak/room Gilman I agree, but I don’t think we’re going to see peak Gilman.

Gilman is old, has a huge cut, and has barely wrestled the last couple years. Peak/room Gilman I agree, but I don’t think we’re going to see peak Gilman.
I know there’s a lot of miles on those tires but don’t we think “old” is a bit of a stretch? He’s 29 and is coming off a year where he was less active than ever before in preparation. Not quite ready to put Ol’ Thomas out to pasture.

I know there’s a lot of miles on those tires but don’t we think “old” is a bit of a stretch? He’s 29 and is coming off a year where he was less active than ever before in preparation. Not quite ready to put Ol’ Thomas out to pasture.
very fair and i am picking gilman tbc. wouldn’t be surprised if forrest loses to cronin r1 either.

i’m just interested because forrest’s greatest strength matches up with TG’s biggest weakness.

I'm looking at the 65kg bracket (see below) and it looks like they just set it up like a normal 16 person bracket, and then decided that Zain's "bye to the semis" means he takes on the winner of the normal bottom semifinal, the one that would be 2 vs 3 if seeds hold.

But doesn't that actually turn that 2 vs 3 matchup into a quarterfinal? So now the quarterfinals are: 1 vs 8, 4 vs 5, 2 vs 3, and Zain vs bye? I feel like I would 100% rather be the 4 or 5 seed in this bracket than the 2 or 3. Consolation matches hurt my head even in a normal bracket, but it seems like this set up would cause some havoc in determining the 3rd place world team member to get whatever stipend is provided.

Who can I contact to let them know they're doing this wrong haha?

edit: moving this down here because apparently it screws everything up if you put it in your text

Last edited:
lmao swing and a miss from carter
I agree. Normally hes pretty funny while also sounding cool. The shaft bit was a big whiff and makes him seem like a middle schooler. I do like the challenge for the future. Would be a great Exhbiition at 79kg catchweight

Lots of great youngsters up top. Lockett vs Shapiro to start it off. U17 champ vs U20 champ. Then the one everyone wants to see with Mesenbrink vs Shapiro. Should be fun but I think Mesenbrink gasses him out. Shapiro hasn’t had the best tank this past folk season. Levi vs Facundo could be interesting. I think most people pick Levi but Facundo is a much better freestyler than folkstyler. I really want to see if any of these young guys can give JB a go. I hope so but feel like they have a little ways to go still. I do think Nolf beats JB though and we see Dake vs Nolf again

Many wrestlers belong to two wrestling clubs, with Titan WC being the second in many cases, how does Titan fit into this? TIA

Many wrestlers belong to two wrestling clubs, with Titan WC being the second in many cases, how does Titan fit into this? TIA
I can’t speak too intelligently about what Titan Mercury is exactly—but it’s more of a sponsorship than a real training club like NLWC. They might have a training camp or something, but it’s more about paying for travel, etc, I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT