ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Olympic Team Trials previews - April 19 & 20

Okay. So, after the U.S. Open in 23, that may be the last we see of him. Very odd as to why he came out of retirement, talked Olympics, and didn't show.
Publicity. In his career, he has to stay publicly relevant somehow, regardless of whether or not that makes him relevant within USA Wrestling.

Publicity. In his career, he has to stay publicly relevant somehow, regardless of whether or not that makes him relevant within USA Wrestling.
lol. Jason Kelce made more of a splash in professional wrestling than Gable.

The next time we see Gable in the ring with Mysterio, Raines, The Rock and Cena will be the first time. And if I’m wrong and it already happened…my point.

Should have been heading to Paris. That would be relevant. And interesting. And put him on the publicity circuit.

I don't think WWE wants Gable risking injury, and he is under contract.

Those with byes to the finals "earned" that right by medaling at Worlds last year. Those with byes to the semis (Vito, Zain, Zahid) medaled at non-olympic weights. I'll agree to a degree that it may be too big of an advantage--but I don't think we can expect it to change any time too soon. It's better, and a lot more competitive, than most of the best wrestling countries' team selection processes.
How competitive is it when the guy with the bye to the finals is wrestling vs. someone who probably has already wrestled several times... I'd bet that more than 80% of the time the weight is won by the guy who is fresher. That's not a level competition.

How competitive is it when the guy with the bye to the finals is wrestling vs. someone who probably has already wrestled several times... I'd bet that more than 80% of the time the weight is won by the guy who is fresher. That's not a level competition.
It's a selection process for the best wrestler.

It's not intended to be a level competition.

If someone deep in the bracket is butthurt about the long path, then he should have been a world medalist the year before.

I'm just saying, it's more competitive than choosing your team via decree, which is more or less how Russia does it.

It's a selection process for the best wrestler.

It's not intended to be a level competition.

If someone deep in the bracket is butthurt about the long path, then he should have been a world medalist the year before.
100% this. Someone who has already proven that they can compete at the very top level of competition in the world has earned an advantage in the competition to determine who in the US can compete at the very top level of competition in the world. I have no issue with the free passes to the semis or finals for the guys who have been there, done that already.

not just because I have two extra's, but it is disappointing that there are more than a few tickets available. Unbelievable showcase being held in central PA. Thought there would be much more support. I was at Fort Worth and wasn't impressed - although at the end of covid period. Hoping PA can make them want to come back for more!
I am almost certainly in the top 5% of people within driving distance of State College both wrt wrestling fandom and financial security, have a place to stay 4 miles from BJC, was priced out anyway.

At least for me, the time and money invested when I had no rooting interest in 75% of the matches wasn’t close to worth it. Don’t care about Greco, don’t know the women well enough to care who wins, so more than half the event is blah. Add in the 50% of Freestyle where OkSt guy is wrestling Cornell guy, and it’s not worth it.

Reactions: ccdiver
I think I will play it out a bit more😅😅
It’s what a real man would do

giphy.gif

Good point but did you ever play king of the hill as a kid?

Also, there is a ton of time (relatively) between the semis and finals. Sure there is some knock on fatigue, but it’s not really deciding matches
It's the next day, at least this year. Challenge Tournament is Friday, Best of 3 is Saturday.

If being fresh is a real concern, then a bye to the semis is a much greater advantage than a bye to the finals.

I am almost certainly in the top 5% of people within driving distance of State College both wrt wrestling fandom and financial security, have a place to stay 4 miles from BJC, was priced out anyway.

At least for me, the time and money invested when I had no rooting interest in 75% of the matches wasn’t close to worth it. Don’t care about Greco, don’t know the women well enough to care who wins, so more than half the event is blah. Add in the 50% of Freestyle where OkSt guy is wrestling Cornell guy, and it’s not worth it.
Possibly seeing the mobilization of Cornell's trauma team is worth the cost of entry.

At this point: The winner at trials for 57 & 65 must place 1st through true 3rd at the Last Chance Olympic Qualifier in Turkey. (May, I think?) This tournament will be very tough—our guys will have to beat medal contenders to qualify. Otherwise, no Olympians for the US at those weights.
Sorry for having to ask, I'm new to following the international scene. I understand that after the US trials the winners will have to go to the last chance qualifier, but what did US wrestlers at those two weights have to do before to get qualified? I just always assumed that the US holds its qualifying tourney and they get to send all our winners. Why is RBY going? How did Mexico qualify at that weight?

Sorry for having to ask, I'm new to following the international scene. I understand that after the US trials the winners will have to go to the last chance qualifier, but what did US wrestlers at those two weights have to do before to get qualified? I just always assumed that the US holds its qualifying tourney and they get to send all our winners. Why is RBY going? How did Mexico qualify at that weight?
A US rep ( typically the winner of our USOTT's will need to qualify the weight in order for the USA to be able to have a guy IN the Olympics. We need to do this at 57 and 65 kgs.

A US rep ( typically the winner of our USOTT's will need to qualify the weight in order for the USA to be able to have a guy IN the Olympics. We need to do this at 57 and 65 kgs.
Thanks for your response, but I still don't understand how the USA could have qualified those weights earlier. What did the USA wrestlers at the other weights do to pre-qualify? How did RBY/Mexico qualify at his weight? Does a wrestler have to win PanAms, the Henri Delgane, or other tourney? What if one wrestler wins one of those pre-qualifiers but loses at the USA Olympic Team Trials, is that weight still prequalified? Again, sorry for my ignorance on this.

Thanks for your response, but I still don't understand how the USA could have qualified those weights earlier. What did the USA wrestlers at the other weights do to pre-qualify? How did RBY/Mexico qualify at his weight? Does a wrestler have to win PanAms, the Henri Delgane, or other tourney? What if one wrestler wins one of those pre-qualifiers but loses at the USA Olympic Team Trials, is that weight still prequalified? Again, sorry for my ignorance on this.
This link is an explanation.
https://olympics.com/en/news/pathway-to-paris-2024-wrestling-qualification-system-explained
The senior world championships top 5 wrestlers qualify their countries. Then there is the contentental qualifier that takes the top 2 wrestlers that qualify their countries. For the USA this is the PanAm qualification event (not the same as the PanAm games). Then there is the last chance qualifier that takes the top one.
The country, not the wrestler is qualified. So, if the senior world champion does not win the right to go to the Olympics (s)he would have qualified the weight, but not be the representative.

I think I got this correct.

There are 3 ways for a country to qualify weights for the Olympics:
1. Finish top 5 at 2023 Worlds, at the Olympic weights. (Zain winning 70 kg doesn't help here, because that's not an Olympic weight.)
2. Qualify at the 2024 continental qualifier for your region (Pan Am, Euro, Asian, or Africa/Oceanic). Team USA can only try at Pan Ams.
3. World Qualifier aka Last Chance. Note, countries qualified by #1 or #2 above are ineligible for Last Chance.

In freestyle, 4 of our 6 weights qualified via #1. 57 and 65 kg did not, went to Pan Ams, and did not qualify there either. Mexico qualified 57 and 65 kg there (RBY and Austin Gomez). Puerto Rico qualified 57 (Darian Cruz).

Note that once countries qualify, they can send any wrestlers to the Olympics. Meaning that Dake took 2nd at 2023 Worlds. But if he loses to Jason or Carter or Cenzo, then they go to Paris instead of him.

Hope this helps.

I have peacock on my amazon fire stick but when I went to look at the schedule, I believe it said one would have to pay to watch the wrestling.
I have a Peacock Premium account. I don't currently see that I have to pay to watch.

I have a Peacock Premium account. I don't currently see that I have to pay to watch.
That's all you need. However, finals are on USA Network.

HOW TO WATCH
Trials will run on Peacock and the USA Network. In the U.S., Peacock will have coverage of every mat, with USA Network airing the finals of the challenge tournament on Friday (19 April) and the finals of the best-of-three series on Saturday (20 April.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT