ADVERTISEMENT

2024-25 PSU Lineup (The Dynasty Continues)

Facundo borderline dominated Levi (not reading a ton into that based on weight). Was right there with Burroughs, and lost 5-5 criteria to Berger (I didn't see that match). I thought he looked really good.
Facundo was impressive in that bout but I discount that one a lot based on the fact that Facundo was practicing freestyle while Levi was doing folkstyle. When they return to folkstyle, will Facundo be able to hang with Levi on top and bottom? It would be great if he could and I hope he jumped levels this past year, but the result of that bout told me nothing regarding any of that.

Reactions: vhsalum
If Levi is going up 2 weights, to allow him to build up to it. And sure it's Cael's style -- that's what he did for Zain going up 1 weight.
If he’s going up two weights, it makes sense. Solely to fit guys into the lineup, not so much.

Facundo borderline dominated Levi (not reading a ton into that based on weight). Was right there with Burroughs, and lost 5-5 criteria to Berger (I didn't see that match). I thought he looked really good.

Even though it was freestyle, Facundo's performance at OTT can't be ignored.

All options are on the table for the 2025 lineup, and Alex will have something to say about how it looks.

My comment was more toward him going to 157. I didn't see him struggling at 149 so I don't see a need to bump to 157 unless Haines redshirts. I have no idea about 141 but I don't think we need him there anyway this year. Next year is probably not possible even if it was now. Unfortunately, I see Kasak and SVN at similar weight throughout their careers.
Willie's 157 speculation is because of SVN at 149, not because of weight/cut issues.

Remind me. Does SVN have any RS left?
No. He used his RS already and one year of eligibility in 2023. He technically has 2 years left right now, but in all likelihood, can also get a third if he wants to if he applies for a medical RS for this year. Kasak still has his RS. He was going to take it this year, but was forced into action due to SVN's injury.

Kasak to 157 seemed obvious to me. He looked plenty big at 149 and looks like he’ll fill out easily. Doesn’t make much sense to redshirt him with Duke coming in. Hard to see Duke at any other weight (maybe 149 for a year if SVN defers 6th year?) and he’ll be too good to sit.

If they aren’t wrestling this weekend, I’d like to see Kasak at 70kg and Haines 79kg next month for U20 WTT

I think Sealey and Ryder are gonna find themselves having the toughest path to start any time soon. Definitely risks to the portal. Redshirting Levi would make it even more difficult. I think Facundo has the frame to fill out to 184 by 25-26, and he has a good shot to beat out Barr, who is really good, but tends to be overrated (slightly) around here.

Last edited:
Facundo was impressive in that bout but I discount that one a lot based on the fact that Facundo was practicing freestyle while Levi was doing folkstyle. When they return to folkstyle, will Facundo be able to hang with Levi on top and bottom? It would be great if he could and I hope he jumped levels this past year, but the result of that bout told me nothing regarding any of that.
Not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing, but how does the 3 point takedown impact such a thought/discussion? Didn't see the match, no idea how Facundo scored but if it was something like 2 takedowns to none, I wouldn't ignore the result completely.

My comment was more toward him going to 157. I didn't see him struggling at 149 so I don't see a need to bump to 157 unless Haines redshirts. I have no idea about 141 but I don't think we need him there anyway this year. Next year is probably not possible even if it was now. Unfortunately, I see Kasak and SVN at similar weight throughout their careers.
My comment about 141 was just a generalized statement. Kasak and Van Ness probably remain similar in weight classes, but that is part of the current "wow" factor. What does Cael do with all his national champion caliber wrestlers? It is becoming game show worthy.

I wonder wrt logjams if Cael finds the guys he feels area best suited for Freestyle and talks them into riding the pine while concentrating on free. Save the body wear and tear and still available if needed. Personally I don't like watching our guys transfer out i.e. beard.

I wonder wrt logjams if Cael finds the guys he feels area best suited for Freestyle and talks them into riding the pine while concentrating on free. Save the body wear and tear and still available if needed. Personally I don't like watching our guys transfer out i.e. beard.
You're going to have to be prepared for it. Guys like Duke and Henckel are now recruiting themselves into the room even though there is no apparent lineup spot available knowing the portal and a bag are waiting if they train in the best room in the sport for a year as a redshirt then move on if they can't win a spot. In the age of the portal and NIL, I think that's going to become an increasingly common game plan. Penn State will keep the guys who do win the spots, who will be just the cream of the crop of the elite recruits.

The best scenario, granted noone on the outside has any idea if it's feasible any longer, is for Kasak to shirt and return to 141 after Beau is finished (or to compete for that spot next year). I get the sense that 141 is now in his rear view mirror.

Kasak to 157 is a road to nowhere, and possible the worst scenario going forward. I don't see the logic there at all.
Tyler is walking around at 170 lbs right now lol 141 is a distant memory, plans to go 157.

I get the feeling the weights will like almost always work themselves out.
Remember when that reporter commented we were plagued at a certain weight?
Some people just seem to not know how to chill. They seem to always look for a cloud in a perfectly blue sky. And if they can't find one, it's on to the seven-day forecast to look for rain. It gets tiresome.

Reactions: Armypathfinder
Wait. Tyler said he doesn't want to redshirt. Messenbrink will be at 157 with Haines at 165. Something has to give?
I think Messenbrink going to 157 is far from a sure thing. Unless he plans on being a 70kg guy I don’t know why he wld drop to 157. His freestyle goals work best at 74kg and the best weight class for that is 165.

Reactions: amattaro
I think Messenbrink going to 157 is far from a sure thing. Unless he plans on being a 70kg guy I don’t know why he wld drop to 157. His freestyle goals work best at 74kg and the best weight class for that is 165.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
Wait. Tyler said he doesn't want to redshirt. Messenbrink will be at 157 with Haines at 165. Something has to give?
Right. He doesn't want to redshirt, but if the options are either redshirt or beat out one of SVN or Mesenbrink for a spot, he may be forced to.

Tyler is walking around at 170 lbs right now lol 141 is a distant memory, plans to go 157.
Nice, but I'm a little skeptical. How do you know this? However, I should keep in mind that Cenzo used to walk around at 205 every off-season. :)

Nice, but I'm a little skeptical. How do you know this? However, I should keep in mind that Cenzo used to walk around at 205 every off-season. :)
I find it hard to believe as well. I have a picture with him at the social and it would amaze me if he were that big given that I tower over him.

The best scenario, granted noone on the outside has any idea if it's feasible any longer, is for Kasak to shirt and return to 141 after Beau is finished (or to compete for that spot next year). I get the sense that 141 is now in his rear view mirror.

Kasak to 157 is a road to nowhere, and possible the worst scenario going forward. I don't see the logic there at all.
You've got to be kidding me with these Kasak to 141 crap again. Over and over.

Kasak is twice as big as BB (hyperbole, but you've got to fight fire with fire).

If you go back a month I posted 149/157 Van Ness/Kasak with Van Ness being my most likely for 149. I posted I thought it was unlikely that MM would go 157 - why would he when he is focused on 74kg? It makes no sense for him to cut his body down at all. Kasak and Levi both have a RS - it will work its way out.

"Kasak to 157 is a road to nowhere" - where do you pull this stuff from (rhetorical - I know the bodily orifice from which it is emitted)? The kid is 19 years old and put on 8 pounds of good weight DURING the friggin season. At the end of the season he was clearly not undersized at 149. He's going to be at 157 sooner or later. He's not short either.

These kids grow. PSU's philosophy is to let them and it will work its way out. Can I ask why you are advocating a change in this philosophy now after a record-setting performance?

Kasak to 157 seemed obvious to me. He looked plenty big at 149 and looks like he’ll fill out easily.
You remember Kasak started the year, and made weight at 141 right? Now he is looking big for 149?

So now we have folks talking about Levi going up 2 weights and Kasak as well?

We have nothing but more logjam problems with those moves, not to say we don't already have problems at 149+.

Kasak to shirt, and Levi and Mesenbrink swapping seen like the most reasonable rumors to me, where any more moving parts just adds to the chaos that is coming in 2026.

From the development and trajectory I saw with Kasak, I think he (after a Redshirt) and SVN go head to head in "2026" for the 149 slot any anyone who sees a clear favorite is smoking something IMO.

I posted this a month ago. I have no idea what program half of the guys on this board have been watching for the last 10 years. SMFH always.

True I guess. Just amazing how stacked this lineup got. We're used to deep teams, but this is ridiculous. Medical redshirts, Olympic redshirts, covid years... The battles in the room are going to be insane.

For next year? Aren't the Olympics going to be over well before the season starts? What would be the point of taking next year off?
I still think we sell Kasak short when we say Van Ness returns and end the sentence. Does Kasak have beat him OR, after what we just saw this year, it very well may be Van Ness has to beat Kasak. A good problem to have but don't sell Kasak short especially after Shane was idle for an entire year.

Reactions: Antaeus
I still think we sell Kasak short when we say Van Ness returns and end the sentence. Does Kasak have beat him OR, after what we just saw this year, it very well may be Van Ness has to beat Kasak. A good problem to have but don't sell Kasak short especially after Shane was idle for an entire year.
Not just idle, but recovering from surgery.

Also, that point could be moot if the plan is to redshirt Levi, leaving a spot at 157. Kasak plans on filling the open spot, no need to worry about any competition at 149.

They have to wrestle-off. The winner is the winner. My opinion is that SVN would have won this year and will be the favorite in the wrestle-off, but that's just an opinion. It'll be determined in the room by the two of them next year.

Plus, Shane's health is an issue. He's missed, in essence, 3 of the last 4 seasons to injuries.

Reactions: District four
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT