ADVERTISEMENT

2024-25 PSU Lineup (The Dynasty Continues)

He can't flip unless PSU releases him from the NLI he signed in November.

The "tea leaves on twitter" is him replying with googly eyes to a Rutgers commitment list. Whether or not he goes there, that's flimsy evidence.
Did PSU give him any money? because if not there was no reason for him to sign an NIL and he could have just done the signing for show. Most D3 athletes do their "signing day" photo shoots and just sign a blank piece of paper because there is no reason to contractually commit if there is no money involved

Reactions: hlstone

The "tea leaves on twitter" is him replying with googly eyes to a Rutgers commitment list. Whether or not he goes there, that's flimsy evidence.

Gibson reposted this for what it’s worth. Has liked multiple Rutgers related twitter posts.

Gibson reposted this for what it’s worth. Has liked multiple Rutgers related twitter posts.
For what it's worth that looks like a good lineup of wrestlers who will do very well and still lose to Penn State when they meet. My second thought is Ayden Smith, in that I wonder if he will be big enough for 125. Every time I see him I think of Trap McCormick, who was a career 112 pounder who dominated in high school but couldn't get over the hump in college because he kept getting horsed even at 118? I might have the particular details off, but I seem to recall he just couldn't get the size necessary. Doesn't the same thing sort of apply to Gary Steen in that it's basically a two weight class jump for a kid at 114 in high school to 125 in college, making it much more difficult? Hit me back with any thoughts on this as maybe I don't know enough and Ayden Smith can get there no problem

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
Did PSU give him any money? because if not there was no reason for him to sign an NIL and he could have just done the signing for show. Most D3 athletes do their "signing day" photo shoots and just sign a blank piece of paper because there is no reason to contractually commit if there is no money involved
If you have actual evidence, I'm listening.

Reactions: ccdiver

i don't know why they wouldn't release him. Penn State has an embarrassment of riches. There's no need to hold a kid hostage who wants to go somewhere else.

For what it's worth that looks like a good lineup of wrestlers who will do very well and still lose to Penn State when they meet. My second thought is Ayden Smith, in that I wonder if he will be big enough for 125. Every time I see him I think of Trap McCormick, who was a career 112 pounder who dominated in high school but couldn't get over the hump in college because he kept getting horsed even at 118? I might have the particular details off, but I seem to recall he just couldn't get the size necessary. Doesn't the same thing sort of apply to Gary Steen in that it's basically a two weight class jump for a kid at 114 in high school to 125 in college, making it much more difficult? Hit me back with any thoughts on this as maybe I don't know enough and Ayden Smith can get there no problem
Trap was a 125 in college. He started his college career right when they moved 118 up to 125

Truth be told, the Gibson brothers are great kids. I enjoy watching them, but their chances at best given our pipeline is maybe one fill-in year if someone(s) is shirting or we have an injury(s).

I want to see them start for someone for 4 years, and earn a few AAs. It seems they may be a package deal, and if they can grab some NIL along the way, good for them.

Trap was a 125 in college. He started his college career right when they moved 118 up to 125
And I recall he had problems because he was small for the weight. That's why I am wondering about Smith. Hey, I have no idea what so ever and maybe he bulks up without any issues?

In conjunction with Goodale tweeting this around the same time

Also, I doubt PSU would fight it that much if he wanted to. He looks like a career room guy at PSU.

Reactions: vhsalum and fronk71
Truth be told, the Gibson brothers are great kids. I enjoy watching them, but their chances at best given our pipeline is maybe one fill-in year if someone(s) is shirting or we have an injury(s).

I want to see them start for someone for 4 years, and earn a few AAs. It seems they may be a package deal, and if they can grab some NIL along the way, good for them.
I agree with this. I don't have any inside information about what's actually going on, but if they want to move on to where they will start for 4 years and have a chance to go earn AA status on their own instead of just being training partners for national champions, good for them. I'll be rooting for them (to come in second, of course).

I agree with this. I don't have any inside information about what's actually going on, but if they want to move on to where they will start for 4 years and have a chance to go earn AA status on their own instead of just being training partners for national champions, good for them. I'll be rooting for them (to come in second, of course).
Are the rumors both Gibson brothers coming to Rutgers or just Mason?? Also what were the Gibsons ranked coming out of hs?? Thx

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
Loved watching trap.

For what it's worth that looks like a good lineup of wrestlers who will do very well and still lose to Penn State when they meet. My second thought is Ayden Smith, in that I wonder if he will be big enough for 125. Doesn't the same thing sort of apply to Gary Steen in that it's basically a two weight class jump for a kid at 114 in high school to 125 in college, making it much more difficult?
Yes. McHenry too.

Mason was committed to Cornell, then PSU and now may be going to Rutgers? Or was it someone else?
real housewives spinning GIF by Slice

Mason was committed to Cornell, then PSU and now may be going to Rutgers? Or was it someone else?
real housewives spinning GIF by Slice
Eric was committed to Cornell, and I think it was assumed that Mason would follow him there, then Eric flipped his commitment to Penn State at the same time Mason announced his. I assume they are going to move together if they go anywhere, but I don't know that for sure.

strange hill to die on
Lol. I'm not saying he's not going to Rutgers. And I wouldn't blame him if he does. Just asking for some actual evidence.

Do you think googly eyes and "some other kids sign a blank sheet of paper" are evidence? If so, there's a job waiting at WIP radio.

BTW, "the list might grow" could also mean Garrett Garcia, who visited Rutgers recently and is somehow uncommitted.

Lol. I'm not saying he's not going to Rutgers. And I wouldn't blame him if he does. Just asking for some actual evidence.

Do you think googly eyes and "some other kids sign a blank sheet of paper" are evidence? If so, there's a job waiting at WIP radio.

BTW, "the list might grow" could also mean Garrett Garcia, who visited Rutgers recently and is somehow uncommitted.
Evidence like what?

The actual signed NLI? come on man.

Evidence like what?

The actual signed NLI? come on man.
Anything that means anything at all.

And I'm willing to believe someone who knows anything anout the situation.

I don't believe someone's interpretation of vague emojis, unless someone says emojis make Ferrari look like a moron.

All I'm saying is: give me a reason to believe it. Objecting to this makes me more skeptical, not less.

Last edited:
Anything that means anything at all.

And I'm willing to believe someone who knows anything anout the situation.

I don't believe someone's interpretation of vague emojis, unless someone says emojis make Ferrari look like a moron.

All I'm saying is: give me a reason to believe it. Objecting to this makes me more skeptical, not less.

Ok man. I guess just wait for the media release from Flo.

Okay, I'll revise my statement to say that certain tweets indicate Mason Gibson *might* be considering Rutgers.

I do think the kid responding to the commitment list with the eye emojis is pretty significant evidence. Certainly not typical.

FWIW, all season, when I often went early for press availability, Eric Gibson was almost always the first kid in the room. Doesn't mean anything WRT this discussion really--other than if they do flip to Piscataway, there may be be binders involved, lol.

Last edited:
Gibson to Rutgers makes very little sense. The one area Rutgers has covered pretty well is 125/133.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT