ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Senior worlds September 16-24

really? that's interesting. it seems like a relatively new arena.
By American standards, it is a dump. In fairness, the outdoor area (walkways) were being repaired. The common areas inside were Spartan at best. The arena itself was ok, save for a lot of seats replaced by folding chairs.

On mat C we have Antim who we need to win to keep Parrish alive and then we get Elor vs Morikawa on the same mat followed by Ishii vs Zhumanazarova. Zhumanazarova is Olympic bronze and world champion in 2021. Ishii was world runner up last year

Hoping that Amit's strength advantage plays a major role in this clash of defending Senior World Champs...

Morikawa is exceptional; but she is also coming up from 65kg!

Hoping that Amit's strength advantage plays a major role in this clash of defending Senior World Champs...

Morikawa is exceptional; but she is also coming up from 65kg!
I thought Morikawa won the 68kg spot at the Meiji cup. She beat Kawai and Ishii there but Ishii is the representative at 68kg and Morikawa is at 72kg. Probably just better for the team I guess?

Elor already taking ground with her underhook and front head. She is an absolute bull. Elor back to her left side underhook and has her on the edge. They call it grounded? Morikawa goes on the clock. Elor dominating the handfight so far. Morikawa gives up the shot clock point. 1-0 Elor. 1-0 at the break. If it continues like this Morikawa should be put on the clock again

Morikawa digging an underhook now but Amit still controlled the position and Morikawa back on the clock. Amit in on a shot and converts plus the shot clock point!! 4-0 now. 1:28 left. The strength of Elor absolutely playing a part. She is dominating the hand fight and moving Morikawa around the mat. Morikawa with a shot and Elor runs around for 2 and that’s the match!! 6-0. Total domination

Morikawa beat the defending 68kg Olympic champion Kawai earlier this year plus won worlds at 65kg last year. She is incredible and she had nothing for Elor. We are watching an all timer right now

Last edited:
Possibly Amit Elor's biggest test in some years, Miwa Morikawa.
  • Elor starts with a left underhook and is moving Morikawa around fairly easily
  • They go out but are grounded
  • Morikawa warned for passivity
  • Elor drives her out again, this time gets one. 1-0
  • Elor back to the left underhook, seemed to be looking hip toss but no.
  • Break. Surprising that Morikawa hasn't gone on the clock because she's merely hanging in there, and not holding center
  • This is basically a sumo match
  • Morikawa dives for leg, Elor looks go-behind, but no
  • Shot clock point, 2-0
  • Elor grinds out a go-behind after a failed Morikawa shot, 4-0, 1:20 remaining
  • Morikawa weak shot, Elor go-behind, 6-0 and that's how it'll end, Elor onto the semis

If Women's Greco ever becomes a thing, Amit would dominate that too. Her upper body positioning and strength are just too much for other women. She is dismantling extremely good wrestlers right now.

Reactions: creamery freak
If Women's Greco ever becomes a thing, Amit would dominate that too. Her upper body positioning and strength are just too much for other women. She is dismantling extremely good wrestlers right now.

Her wrestling is a mix of greco and Judo. It's so unique and I'd guess no one can game plan for it because they can't find anyone to replicate her skill set. No wrestlers, at least.

No one seems to have an answer for her. I wonder how Japan's 70kg Olympic gold medalist judoka (Chizuru Arai) would do against her in a FS wrestling match if she trained for it.

Reactions: OzarkLion
She rarely ever even shoots, though I'm certain she could score with low singles easily enough. She's very conservative and doesn't take unnecessary risks. She often finds herself in a body lock position where you know she could throw but instead uses it to set up a go-behind. Sometimes she drops to a leg in the course of that set-up but just to go behind, rarely ever through.

But if it's not broke there's nothing to fix.

Her wrestling is a mix of greco and Judo. It's so unique and I'd guess no one can game plan for it because they can't find anyone to replicate her skill set. No wrestlers, at least.

No one seems to have an answer for her. I wonder how Japan's 70kg Olympic gold medalist judoka (Chizuru Arai) would do against her in a FS wrestling match if she trained for it.
It's more likely nobody can match her strength and feel. You can prepare all you want, but that doesn't mean you can physically stop it. She's an alien.

Winning is one thing, but she completely shuts down great competition. At this point, I don't think the question is whether she wins gold, it's whether anyone can score a point on her. JS, that's about the perfect description: alien!

It's more likely nobody can match her strength and feel. You can prepare all you want, but that doesn't mean you can physically stop it. She's an alien.
True. How do you stop a person who doesn't shoot, but instead, throws you to the ground and runs behind you?

Reactions: mn78psu83
So, will Jen Page go back up to 62 or down to 57 and challenge Helen?

If she goes UP to 62kg, she's sitting out until the semis. Kayla Miracle was a DNP at 62, so she'll have to go through the bracket. Macey Kilty is in the final at 65kg, so I *believe* she'll sit in a semi slot as well.

Parrish needs Antim to win here vs Kaldzinskaya but she trails 3-0 with a minute left.

Two late takedowns appear to have won it for Antim! Challenge on the last one, arguing exposure off the last TD.

Wow, challenge won, heartbreak for a visibly crushed Antim and Parrish.

So, will Jen Page go back up to 62 or down to 57 and challenge Helen?

If she goes UP to 62kg, she's sitting out until the semis. Kayla Miracle was a DNP at 62, so she'll have to go through the bracket. Macey Kilty is in the final at 65kg, so I *believe* she'll sit in a semi slot as well.
Wont Jen sit at 57 OR 62?

I gotta believe Kilty would cut off a limb before she bumps into “Elor’s“ weight.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Wont Jen sit at 57 OR 62?

I gotta believe Kilty would cut off a limb before she bumps into “Elor’s“ weight.
Do we know if Elor is going 68kg or 76kg? I think we all hope it’s 68kg but I have no idea if she or anyone else has said what she plans to do

Emma Bruntil up vs Enkhsaikhan (MGL) semifinal
  • Enkhsaikhan hard double, Bruntil turns to avoid it being four
  • Oh boy, Bruntil shoots, Enkhsaikhan responds with a head and arm, looking for the pin, Bruntil has a full minute to fight it off
  • Aaand that's it, Bruntil pinned, will wrestle for bronze

Reactions: creamery freak
Where did everyone go, following the cycling thread?

Amit won her semi with a 12-2 tech over France.

Macy Kilty gave up a takedown then was laced for a 10-0 tech loss to
Ozaki, Japan, and took Silver.

Hildebrandt won 5-0 over Turkey to take Bronze.

Susaki with a 10-0 tech for another Japan Gold at 50 kg.

Last edited:
Maroulis on deck and then a great final between 2 time world champion Sakurai and world champion Nichita

I love Adeline and she is a true legend in this sport but I really would’ve loved to have seen Kennedy Blades compete. She teched Medet Kyzy 12-1 earlier this year and she’s in the finals. She had no answer for Blades double from space. It will be interesting to see if another year experience can help Blades get by Adeline to make the team

I love Adeline and she is a true legend in this sport but I really would’ve loved to have seen Kennedy Blades compete. She teched Medet Kyzy 12-1 earlier this year and she’s in the finals. She had no answer for Blades double from space. It will be interesting to see if another year experience can help Blades get by Adeline to make the team
I think Blades is far better, but is prone to some really strange mental lapses/meltdowns. She should have blown through Adeline in 2 straight like the open.

Her highs are world class, but she's very inconsistent.

Side note, still awesome to see Helen and Adeline still out there. They could have hung it up years ago and gone down as legends.

Another absolutely dominant performance from the Japanese women this week. They have a wrestler who won the title or is in the final in every weight except 59kg, 68kg and 72kg. 68kg and 72kg will wrestle for bronze. 59kg is the only lady on their team who didn’t place. The world isn’t closing the gap quite yet

I think Blades is far better, but is prone to some really strange mental lapses/meltdowns. She should have blown through Adeline in 2 straight like the open.

Side note, still awesome to see Helen and Adeline still out there. They could have hung it up years ago and gone down as legends.
Very true. I’m hoping it’s that she is still very young and that those lapses will lessen as she matures. Talent wise she is as good as anyone in the world no matter the weight

Very true. I’m hoping it’s that she is still very young and that those lapses will lessen as she matures. Talent wise she is as good as anyone in the world no matter the weight
I'm concerned with how often she seems to end up unconscious on the mat too.

Reactions: Ski and OzarkLion

If I remember correctly, she also had really unfortunate timing for a bout of food poisoning that played a role. Will be great to see how she comes back next year.

Another absolutely dominant performance from the Japanese women this week. They have a wrestler who won the title or is in the final in every weight except 59kg, 68kg and 72kg. 68kg and 72kg will wrestle for bronze. 59kg is the only lady on their team who didn’t place. The world isn’t closing the gap quite yet
Makes me wonder what they are doing different over there? They are so flexible and fluid. Japanese women have been truly impressive for some time now

Yui Susaki is so damn good. She has won 3 cadet titles, 2 junior titles, 1 U23 title, 1 Olympic title, and now 4 world titles. Never lost in international competition. Has only lost to teammate Irie since 2010. Pretty sure Hildebrandt sees her in her nightmares

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT