ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Starting Lineup

Texas Lion

Aug 10, 2018
I know, I know, I know......Illinois, Illinois, Illinois and 1-0, 1-0, 1-0........but I thought this might be a fun thread to keep our minds off this week as a message board.

QB: Clifford
RB: Singleton
WR: Washington
WR: KLS
WR: Saunders
TE: Theo
LT: Wallace
LG: Tengwell
C: Miranda
RG: Scruggs
RT: Spencer Rolland

DE: Issac
DT: Mustipher
DT: Izzard
DE: Tarburton
LB: Jacobs
LB: King
LB: Katshir
CB: Porter Jr
CB: King
S: Ellis
S: Tigh Brown

Always gotta love kids who haven't even sniffed the field yet getting penciled in as starters!

But I will play along: That doesn't look like the lineup that will lead to a super successful season. Lots of experienced players are leaving after this season, so it appears to be "back to the drawing board" following Iowa. Maybe 2023 will be better?

Always gotta love kids who haven't even sniffed the field yet getting penciled in as starters!

But I will play along: That doesn't look like the lineup that will lead to a super successful season. Lots of experienced players are leaving after this season, so it appears to be "back to the drawing board" following Iowa. Maybe 2023 will be better?
I was worried when looking at LB's.....maybe a portal guy there.

But other than the weakness at LB it is a pretty experienced team if people come back like they did for this year.

Just for conversation.....which "penciled" in starter concerns you so much?

I was worried when looking at LB's.....maybe a portal guy there.

But other than the weakness at LB it is a pretty experienced team if people come back like they did for this year.

Just for conversation.....which "penciled" in starter concerns you so much?
Tangwell, unless they plan on playing him some this year yet. He would have absolutely no experience.
Spencer Rolland
I'm also not convinced Brand Smith leaves and I bet Joey Porter does.
Also need more help with the portal at LBR and maybe DE.

Reactions: Texas Lion
I know, I know, I know......Illinois, Illinois, Illinois and 1-0, 1-0, 1-0........but I thought this might be a fun thread to keep our minds off this week as a message board.

So, not penciling in 5 star Dani Dennis-Sutton? and 4 star 5 star Crowd Favorite Drew Allar?

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
Tangwell, unless they plan on playing him some this year yet. He would have absolutely no experience.
Spencer Rolland
I went Rolland based on Wilson coming in and starting.
Tengwell was a shot in the dark but based that off what was said about him previously.
I could see JPJ leaving and if thats the case then Hardy or Johnny Dixon at the CB.
Smith to me is like Oweh.....if he goes through the proworkout he will look like a monster and after what Oweh has done this year someone will take a 1st or 2nd to pick him.

So, not penciling in 5 star Dani Dennis-Sutton? and 4 star Crowd Favorite Drew Allar?
I think Sutton, if healthy will play a lot, I don't see the keys given to Allar right away.

I almost guessed Rattler as the starter if Cliff doesn't return.

QB: Allar/Transfer
RB: Cain (but it'll be the same rotation stuff we see this year between Cain/Lee/Ford/Singleton)
WR: Wallace/Transfer
TE: Johnson
LT: Fashanu
LG: Wormley
C: Scruggs
RG: Tengwall
RT: Wallace

DT: Ellies
DE: Luketa
Sam: Jacobs
Mike: Elsdon
Will: Katshir
CB: Dixon
S: Brown
Star: Hardy

Reactions: MoyerJones
QB: Allar/Transfer
RB: Cain (but it'll be the same rotation stuff we see this year between Cain/Lee/Ford/Singleton)
WR: Wallace/Transfer
TE: Johnson
LT: Fashanu
LG: Wormley
C: Scruggs
RG: Tengwall
RT: Wallace

DT: Ellies
DE: Luketa
Sam: Jacobs
Mike: Elsdon
Will: Katshir
CB: Dixon
S: Brown
Star: Hardy
I would put K. SAnders in mix with Wallace. I am not so sure PJ Mustipher returns. He has proven himself already this year. I guess it all depends on the medical assessment and how he might project from the scouts.

Spencer Rolland
I. Keep wondering why Tengwell hasn't played. Is he injured?

Interesting thought experiment. The strongest part of this lineup is the defensive line. Very strong especially if you mix in Dennis-Sutton. Perhaps the weakest part of the lineup is linebacker. Overall, the team would be young and would be a step down from this year's team. This would be a team (especially considering the 2022 recruiting class) that would make us look forward to 2023 and 2024.

Reactions: Texas Lion
Interesting thought experiment. The strongest part of this lineup is the defensive line. Very strong especially if you mix in Dennis-Sutton. Perhaps the weakest part of the lineup is linebacker. Overall, the team would be young and would be a step down from this year's team. This would be a team (especially considering the 2022 recruiting class) that would make us look forward to 2023 and 2024.
I also forgot Beamon if he is allowed back.

Allar is enrolling early and freshman are playing immediately all over the place. He has an excellent chance to be in a 2 QB system to start the season and prove he should be the starter by the end of September. For recruiting purposes I think it is very important for this to happen, especially with us getting him out of Ohio, what a huge recruiting victory in the buckeye state. He will be given every opportunity to play.

You can say the same thing with Saunders, a top Ohio recruit. Plays a skill position and is enrolling in January. He will be given every opportunity to play immediately.

Running back has been kind of disappointing and Cain seems like his foot is gonna hamper his career. I know it is a team effort running the ball but none of these guys have stepped up. They maybe in a position to have another early enrollee in Singleton battle to get into a 3 deep and play meaningful minutes as a freshman.

Sutton is playing a position if he is physically ready that he could contribute early. I think next year you see a lot of young players play. This team might play some ugly ball early but come October look out.

I would put K. SAnders in mix with Wallace. I am not so sure PJ Mustipher returns. He has proven himself already this year. I guess it all depends on the medical assessment and how he might project from the scouts.
Interesting...for some reason I have always thought that, unlike Clifford, Mustipher would not even be eligible to return despite the extra year (that this was his extra year), but upon further review apparently he enrolled in 2018, meaning that he theoretically would indeed have a choice to make (i.e. he would be eligible to return IF he felt that was best for him)... 🤷‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT