ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 Hot Takes

A healthy Shayne Van Ness is not losing to Max Murin. I will bet everything I own on that.
a816d758-677a-45cb-839f-73645fe71813_text.gif

David Carr walks through 165 as if he has no challenges. Rough weight to the crowd, but not too much of a challenge for him imo. He has made major jumps this off season.

BB top 4 at 141.

Rutgers has 10 BIG tournament qualifiers wrestling when it counts.

Mendez wrestles but is just a round of 12 guy this year.

Carter turns people right and left and becomes a bonus point guy. It is only a matter of time before his amazing riding skills translate into more turns even against other AA level guys.

Max Murin does become an AA. So does SVN this year.

Tom Ryan is optimistic about the direction of his program.

Tom Brands likes his guys.

Cael is grateful for the opportunity to coach his guys.

The Iowa team remains full of hard nosed good guys and the fan base remains a bunch of idiots.

Hot take .. from this board to God's ears

CStar is a bonus producing wrecking machine all year. Undefeated, 100% bonus level thru and including his opening and closing wins against Mekhi.

1st win he rides Mekhi like a rented mule, Mehki melts like butter, CS gets a couple of turns and wins 10-2. On the finals stage; Mehki knows he needs to go big or go home and Carter gets the fall at 2:30. Hello Mr Hodge

I was at a social event about a week ago (black tie optional) and I was wearing a Dunder Mifflin shirt. A gentleman came up to me after reading my shirt and proceeded to ask me if I could supply his wife's printing company with some paper because they had a shortage. I almost lost it. It took everything I had to keep from falling over from laughter. I politely explained the situation to his chagrin.
Well, prepare yourself for another laugh and explain it to me also. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: PSU Fan in TN

CStar is a bonus producing wrecking machine all year. Undefeated, 100% bonus level thru and including his opening and closing wins against Mekhi.

1st win he rides Mekhi like a rented mule, Mehki melts like butter, CS gets a couple of turns and wins 10-2. On the finals stage; Mehki knows he needs to go big or go home and Carter gets the fall at 2:30. Hello Mr Hodge

Unfortunately, I’d bet that one of the likely four-timers is awarded the Hodge no matter how dominant some other wrestler was during the season.

well both teams have more than a few new guys so why is it iowa guys seem to be getting the edge when they haven't wrestled anymore than the PSU guys sorry I give the edge to PSU!

I'll go out on a limb here. During the PSU vs Iowa dual, one of the Brands gets out of his seat and starts yelling at the ref.
Disagree on this one since Terry won't be in his seat, he will be rocking back on forth behind his seat like always. :)

Reactions: AgSurfer

Season tix holder at PSU and VT. CStar has amazing grit and skills to match. Mekhi is a powerhouse and will be better this year (another year removed from serious injury). Every time they go ….. it’s gonna be a classic battle that fans talk about for 10+ years.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Season tix holder at PSU and VT. CStar has amazing grit and skills to match. Mekhi is a powerhouse and will be better this year (another year removed from serious injury). Every time they go ….. it’s gonna be a classic battle that fans talk about for 10+ years.
agreed. Mekhi is so talented, big and long. That's why it's a hot take because those two matches have the makings of a war, not a major by anyone.

Reactions: Fatmarc
I'll go out on a limb here. During the PSU vs Iowa dual, one of the Brands gets out of his seat and starts yelling at the ref.
Never happen…the Brands brothers are too stoic and mild-mannered. One (or both) might even fall asleep at some point during the match.

Reactions: AgSurfer
Tom Brands will bring a folded printed picture of Pat Mineo in his pocket for our dual. Middle of the dual, he will take it out and hold a $20 bill next to it while looking angrily at Cael.

The lineup will look way different in the 1st semester then it will in the 2nd
Implying another midsemester transfer or just most of the team will be sitting out?

Wouldn't be shocked if RBY and all 3 of our guys wrestling the All Star event (Kerk, Brooks, Carter) sits out as well.

Implying another midsemester transfer or just most of the team will be sitting out?

Wouldn't be shocked if RBY and all 3 of our guys wrestling the All Star event (Kerk, Brooks, Carter) sits out as well.
ouch! you bit down pretty hard on that one. :) I suggest an early Happy Hour pint! Cheers!

Rutgers has a top 10 finish!

@ the B10 tourney 😁

The last time Rutgers beat a top 10 team in a dual meet was in the 2015-16 season (did it twice, one of which I attended). It's been a while but they've been moving in the right direction as a program ever since.

And, btw, they did qualify all ten wrestlers for the 2016 NCAA tournament (without at-large qualifiers). It's been all uphill since. ;)

Last edited:
Iowa and PSU have the same number of finalists.

Neither Michigan or Ohio State have anyone place top 3

Mike Labriola is a finalist

I could see the top 2.

Labriola would have to beat Starocci at B1Gs, though, otherwise he faces Lewis in the semis as they’d be 2 and 3. I don’t envision Labriola ever beating Starocci, particularly in a match that matters like a B1G final. I also don’t think he can beat Lewis in an NCAA semi.

Here is their NCAA QF match. Labriola held Starocci at bay for the first period. Never came close to scoring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT