ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 Hot Takes

arrow-loser.gif

What are your hot takes for the upcoming season?

Mine are:

-Beau Bartlett finishes in the top 4 and beats Real Woods at least once
-RBY wins #3 but it's not against Fix
-Joe Lee redeems himself and scores points at Nationals
Robbie, Beau, SVN and Alex all AA. Two of them are finalists

Levi redshirts.

RBY, Aaron, Carter and Max are all champs.

Kerk takes GS to the brink but loses a close one.

The team makes a run at the all time scoring record but falls a few points short.

They beat Iowa by 20 in the dual.

Robbie, Beau, SVN and Alex all AA. Two of them are finalists

Levi redshirts.

RBY, Aaron, Carter and Max are all champs.

Kerk takes GS to the brink but loses a close one.

The team makes a run at the all time scoring record but falls a few points short.

They beat Iowa by 20 in the dual.
Right now on paper, the dual looks extremely close.

But I kind of can see it being like Ohio State 2019 or Michigan 2022, close dual that gets the floodgates opened somehow.

Heck even Iowa 2020, we were supposed to lose basically 8 matches and it went down to the last match (after Mark got too amped up and went for the pin of Kemerer)

Right now on paper, the dual looks extremely close.

But I kind of can see it being like Ohio State 2019 or Michigan 2022, close dual that gets the floodgates opened somehow.

Heck even Iowa 2020, we were supposed to lose basically 8 matches and it went down to the last match (after Mark got too amped up and went for the pin of Kemerer)
What is this “paper” you speak of? Wasn’t that something they made in ancient times before the machines took over?

What is this “paper” you speak of? Wasn’t that something they made in ancient times before the machines took over?
You can argue Iowa is the straight favorites at 5 weights right now (125, 141, 149, 165, 285) Now I wouldn't be shocked if we win 4 of those weights (hence what I mean by floodgates are open) Their guys are more proven there as of today though.

Reactions: mcpat
Are you on wrestlestat?
No I'm being objective here:
Spencer is Spencer, no need to analyze here.
Woods is a returning AA at 141. He's been good at 141 forever. Bartlett we're extrapolating a jump from moving down. Can he beat Woods? Sure but I think most objective fans would probably pick Woods gun to their head right now.
Van Ness hasn't done anything at the college level yet, Murin has proven he can beat some tough opponents at 149. Physical gifts and talent, yes Van Ness is ahead and I think Iowa fans would admit that also but no results to back up saying SVN > Murin right now (though that can change fast obviously)
Even ignoring Kennedy's win over Facundo from HS (since that was from Alex's junior year of HS), PK looked better redshirting and also just had a really good U23 tournament (completely shut down Hall in the finals twice)
Cass is 3-0 against Kerk

Reactions: hlstone and mcpat
You can argue Iowa is the straight favorites at 5 weights right now (125, 141, 149, 165, 285) Now I wouldn't be shocked if we win 4 of those weights (hence what I mean by floodgates are open) Their guys are more proven there as of today though.
Here’s how I see it:

Knowing they’re going to lose the dual and wanting to keep Spencer on a short pitch count, Robbie beats Ybarra.

Ayala is the starter at 133 and RBY takes him.

Woods tops Beau.

SVN beats Murin.

Levi is shirting and we lose at 157.

Facundo bests Kennedy.

Aaron and Carter win by bonus.

Max and Kerk get the W’s.

That’s 20.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkFan1986
No I'm being objective here:
Spencer is Spencer, no need to analyze here.
Woods is a returning AA at 141. He's been good at 141 forever. Bartlett we're extrapolating a jump from moving down. Can he beat Woods? Sure but I think most objective fans would probably pick Woods gun to their head right now.
Van Ness hasn't done anything at the college level yet, Murin has proven he can beat some tough opponents at 149. Physical gifts and talent, yes Van Ness is ahead and I think Iowa fans would admit that also but no results to back up saying SVN > Murin right now (though that can change fast obviously)
Even ignoring Kennedy's win over Facundo from HS (since that was from Alex's junior year of HS), PK looked better redshirting and also just had a really good U23 tournament (completely shut down Hall in the finals twice)
Cass is 3-0 against Kerk
Just joking. I appreciate the dose of reality/objectivity.

Reactions: McScoreley
Just joking. I appreciate the dose of reality/objectivity.
To be honest, I should be more like you. History at this point says being a homer and overly optimistic is the way to go for being a Penn State Wrestling fan. You'd think after a decade plus of pure excellence that the coaches and wrestlers have shown, I'd learn already.

Reactions: mcpat
Here’s how I see it:

Knowing they’re going to lose the dual and wanting to keep Spencer on a short pitch count, Robbie beats Ybarra.

Ayala is the starter at 133 and RBY takes him.

Woods tops Beau.

SVN beats Murin.

Levi is shirting and we lose at 157.

Facundo bests Kennedy.

Aaron and Carter win by bonus.

Max and Kerk get the W’s.

That’s 20.
Haines can keep his RS AND go against Iowa at 157.

To be honest, I should be more like you. History at this point says being a homer and overly optimistic is the way to go for being a Penn State Wrestling fan. You'd think after a decade plus of pure excellence that the coaches and wrestlers have shown, I'd learn already.
You saw my analysis. I actually gave it some thought and did some math. (I was accused of doing neither in the football thread. I’m a math guy; I always do the math first.)

Reactions: McScoreley
Haines can keep his RS AND go against Iowa at 157.
I considered that. I don’t think they put a freshman on redshirt out against Iowa in a “dual meet wrestling match”. I think they give him tourneys instead. But it’s a thought.

I considered that. I don’t think they put a freshman on redshirt out against Iowa in a “dual meet wrestling match”. I think they give him tourneys instead. But it’s a thought.

It’s at home, not at Carver, so that’s why I think he’ll go. He could very well bonus Reyna.

Iowa and tOSU, plus some tournaments.

Reactions: hlstone and mcpat
It’s at home, not at Carver, so that’s why I think he’ll go. He could very well bonus Reyna.

Iowa and tOSU, plus some tournaments.
This is making me anxious for the season. I’m imagining BJC against Iowa and the Mat Town Open/Bearcat Open Champion Levi Haines takes the mat at 157 after both he and Barraclough shook hands at introductions.

• Love
Reactions: bmw199
This is making me anxious for the season. I’m imagining BJC against Iowa and the Mat Town Open/Bearcat Open Champion Levi Haines takes the mat at 157 after both he and Barraclough shook hands at introductions.
Haines could wrestle all these tourneys unattached as well, just wouldnt have coaches.

Reactions: crockster
Haines could wrestle all these tourneys unattached as well, just wouldnt have coaches.
Can current, non-RS athletes coach kids on RS? Or does it have to be other RS athletes?

Could old man AB or Uncle Carter sit in the corner while that young whippersnapper Levi breaks some people? Schedule permitting, of course.

What are your hot takes for the upcoming season?

Mine are:

-Beau Bartlett finishes in the top 4 and beats Real Woods at least once
-RBY wins #3 but it's not against Fix
-Joe Lee redeems himself and scores points at Nationals
HR mercilessly derides our team all season and we don’t respond, care, or even notice.

Oh wait, you’re talking about hot takes that have the potential of coming true. As you were.

😜

I actually hope you're wrong here. I'd like to see Levi get that year of experience before he goes on the clock.
As painful as it may seem, it's probably best if Kenny Pickett sits behind Trubisky the whole year.

I heard Cael gave Tomlin some advice relative to how to manage and develop rookies.

That said, I hope we see Levi this year, and if it has to be only 5 times, I hope one is against Iowa.

Reactions: crockster
As for hot takes, Robbie Howard doesn’t end the year as a starter and Facundo doesn’t AA. Somebody has to be the negative one here.

• Sad
Reactions: PSUer1989
As for hot takes, Robbie Howard doesn’t end the year as a starter and Facundo doesn’t AA. Somebody has to be the negative one here.
Not to downplay your hot takes but:

I think it's pretty accepted here that it's kind of a long shot for Facundo to AA this year. 165 is a brutal weight class.

I don't think the Howard take is that hot either unfortunately.

I was at a social event about a week ago (black tie optional) and I was wearing a Dunder Mifflin shirt. A gentleman came up to me after reading my shirt and proceeded to ask me if I could supply his wife's printing company with some paper because they had a shortage. I almost lost it. It took everything I had to keep from falling over from laughter. I politely explained the situation to his chagrin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT