ADVERTISEMENT

2021 World Championships

don't have time to look it up but i assume the 1st-2nd difference is more than 3+(3rd-5th difference), so even if the russian takes 3rd, if kyle wins then the USA wins.
All medal matches are worth 5 points as the Russian at 70 kg has already earned the 5th place points and can add 5 points by getting 3rd. Basically the Iranian (assuming he wins his repechage match) needs to beat the Russian for 3rd and then the winner of Snyder/Sadulaev will determine the team champs. But, and not many people are talking about this, there is no "Russian" team this year bc of the WADA sanctions so can they even the team title if they are not a "team"?

I had heard it mentioned a few times how David had tripped as he was trying to execute that single on Yazdani. I originally thought that also, but if you have the ability to re-watch the video (5:36 in the subscriber-only video on Flo) you can see how as David has his left leg off the mat in an attempt to trip Yazdani, Yazdani takes his right hand to the right side of David's face/head and forcefully pulls David to David's left, causing him to lose his balance since at that moment he had his left foot off the mat. It was great defense by Yazdani and very well timed. It was also a critical moment in the match. I am always amazed how many things I miss when watching the action live.

Last edited:
Just now watching the womens' matches from this morning on replay, seems like every US match ends in a leg lace except the Forrest Molinari quarterfinal, where she was behind 3-1 with under 20 seconds left, got a single and exposure. Her French opponent was annoyed with Molinari (who wrestles like a bulldog) throughout the match and refused to shake her hand afterwards.

Reactions: diggerpup
serious question: is comparing Molinari to Tony Ramos ok? Lots of parallels in mentality. It’s 100% a compliment, but I’m not sure if drawing those comparisons to our woman athletes is like, acceptable.

as women’s wrestling grows and continues, we’ll be able to say “she’s a little Shilson or a younger Blades”, but right now it’s still so young in terms of mainstream popularity.

I’m the last one to be worried about being PC. I just wondered what others thought.

Just now watching the womens' matches from this morning on replay, seems like every US match ends in a leg lace except the Forrest Molinari quarterfinal, where she was behind 3-1 with under 20 seconds left, got a single and exposure. Her French opponent was annoyed with Molinari (who wrestles like a bulldog) throughout the match and refused to shake her hand afterwards.
Don't get me started on the French again!
giphy.gif

Adeline’s matches also ended differently

serious question: is comparing Molinari to Tony Ramos ok? Lots of parallels in mentality. It’s 100% a compliment, but I’m not sure if drawing those comparisons to our woman athletes is like, acceptable.

I sure hope so, because I had the same thoughts when I started following Forrest after she joined the HWC. Very similar swagger on the mat.

Hell, even the pre-match staredown is similar:

2019molinaridogu740.jpg

images

I forgot how good Baumgartner was 5 gold and 13 years medaling internationally. Have to say John Smith, JB and Baumgartner are 1a, 1b, 1c as the GOATS. Each of them has better numbers than the others depending on what you are looking at.

Ode mean really or very. At my age, I had to look it up because I am ode like you.

What does Ode mean?
  • Definition of Ode. An ode is a lyrical stanza written in praise for a person, event, or thing. The form developed in Ancient Greece and had a very specific and elaborate structure involving three parts known as the strophe, antistrophe, and epode.

Reactions: SRATH and hlstone
I had heard it mentioned a few times how David had tripped as he was trying to execute that single on Yazdani. I originally thought that also, but if you have the ability to re-watch the video (5:36 in the subscriber-only video on Flo) you can see how as David has his left leg off the mat in an attempt to trip Yazdani, Yazdani takes his right hand to the right side of David's face/head and forcefully pulls David to David's left, causing him to lose his balance since at that moment he had his left foot off the mat. It was great defense by Yazdani and very well timed. It was also a critical moment in the match. I am always amazed how many things I miss when watching the action live.
It's also classic Iranian defense. Gilman talks in depth about it in his post match interview. Atri used to give him fits with it in their previous matches, but having felt it multiple times, he was more comfortable and able to hang in there and finish.

Snyder and Sadulaev up now.
  • Snyder on the clock early. Neither wrestler looking for openings, both heavy on the head. 1-0 Sadulaev on the shot clock point.
  • Snyder almost got caught in that same chest lock position but did a nice job spinning out of it.
  • Snyder back on the clock. 2-0 Sadulaev.
  • Sadulaev with slick go behind and adds a gut. 6-0, a minute left.
  • Snyder can't do anything with him, 6-0 is how it'll end.

Sadulaev standing almost straight up inviting Snyder to attack. Probably why the shot clock went his way. Disciplined period from Snyder, but I'd like to see harder handfighting. I don't think this pace is high enough.

Reactions: diggerpup
Yo, do they speak English in Kyrgyzstan? Why are their national team uniforms written in English?I notice a lot of teams are that way.

again, not being ignorant… genuinely asking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT