ADVERTISEMENT

2021 OL Starters ???

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
I'm thinking left to right:
LT Walker
LG Scruggs
Center Miranda
RG Holmes (??? - try him out here as I think he has good size and feet move pretty well ???)
RT Wallace

Have no idea about a two deep.

If Penn State gets the Grad Transfer from Harvard, I think he would replace Holmes at Guard. Good selling point for him.

None of the FR who redshirted make the 2 deep?
Wormley would technically be a redshirt freshman next year. I could see Olu Fashanu being the second-team right tackle, though.

If we're looking at a "true" two or three deep, where a starter at one position isn't listed as a backup at another position (even though we all know that this is how it'd play out in reality), I could see the following:

Walker, Holmes, Miranda, Scruggs, Wallace
Effner, Wormley, ???, Whigan, Tengwall
Christ, Achumba, ???, Dawkins, Fashanu

Reactions: RickinDayton
I would switch Miranda and Scruggs on your first unit.
Eh, I'm not sure. If last year was any indication, it was Miranda taking backup snaps for Menet at center, with Scruggs filling in at right guard. That could definitely change with a full offseason for Scruggs to really focus on his snaps at center, but I think Miranda's athletic limitations are best nullified at center, combined with what appears to be his solid technique and football savvy. Scruggs has a chance to be a road grader at guard that is much more difficult to do at center.

None of the FR who redshirted make the 2 deep?

Yep, there are 3 of this year's freshmen olinemen that are OT's supposedly, Christ, Fashanu and Traore, and I look for the backup OT's to come from among them - at least one of the backup OT's. And although some classified Tengwall as an OT he may begin his PSU career at Guard. Hopefully a year with Trautwein has a couple of the the 2021 redshirt freshmen ready to contribute..... Holmes didn't seem to distinguish himself at OT with Wllace seemingly blowing by him when Holmes was a backup OT, and his body type does not look ideal for OT, which is why I believe he ends up at Guard for 2021 if the 2020 freshman OT's look polished enough as OT's. If the Harvard Guard comes to PSU maybe that helps push Holmes back to OT. The other issue is that Holmes hasn't declared that he is coming back for 2021, as he was a 4th year Junior in 2020.

At least there seems to be more olinemen in the program than in the recent past so there should be genuine competition for the 2nd team spots. The next step will be when there are more 4 and some 5 star oline recruits sprinkled into the OL roster that are ready to play earlier in their PSU careers, as we hope is the case for Tengwall.

Last edited:
Eh, I'm not sure. If last year was any indication, it was Miranda taking backup snaps for Menet at center, with Scruggs filling in at right guard. That could definitely change with a full offseason for Scruggs to really focus on his snaps at center, but I think Miranda's athletic limitations are best nullified at center, combined with what appears to be his solid technique and football savvy. Scruggs has a chance to be a road grader at guard that is much more difficult to do at center.

Excellent analysis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT