ADVERTISEMENT

2021-2023 Transfer Portal news

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way facundo starts over messinbrink. The guy has no offense, and the argument for him beating Kennedy, or Caliendo ended in the rd of 32 last year
I know Iowa guys generally don’t improve after their 1st year wrestling in college, but that doesn’t hold true everywhere outside of Iowa City. On top of that, we’re talking about a guy that was U20 OW at nationals last year, scoring 74 points in seven bouts, before winning the U20 WTT 10-0 and 12-0. So forgive us for not giving up on him yet.

Take the blue and white glasses off of your head for 2 seconds and see what's actually in front of you. The guy couldn't beat heller or Bubba Wilson in his second year of college. He isn't jumping to elite no matter how many times nolf techs him in the room
He did beat Amine and lost to Kennedy in OT. He moves his feet, initiates offense, has a gas tank and continues to get back up and goes again. There is a lot to work with. My guess is Facundo is way better with a much higher ceiling than you think.

Of course I wouldn't expect a Hawk fan to recognize an elite wrestler in the developmental stage. It doesn't happen in Iowa City frequently enough to allow you to grasp the growing stages. You guys think you either pop out of the womb ready to dominate (spencer) or you don't (murin and young).

Facundo reminds me a little of Beau.. he needs that spark of confidence..
at Least the GIA isn’t full of hypocrites.
recruiting over someone blah blah blah lol. Bet they forgot that huh.

It’s ok, in light of recent events they now are saying ya gotta keep accumulating as much high end talent as possible and let it work itself out, since that’s what we do and we are at the top.

Of course, they refuse to acknowledge how this is the very thing they have maligned us for for years. Insight is lacking among many of the more vocal posters over there.

Reactions: nitlion6
Just cuz your almighty Marinelli made it to the qtrs 3x doesnt mean our guy stinks.
I know it isn't popular around here, but I agree 100% with this take. I believe PSU has a great track record of improving guys, but assuming they won't equally try and help both guys is at best a reach. MM is going to be one of the greats imo. He has a relentless attacking style and is by all accounts an absolute wrestling gym rat. I have heard Askren praise this young man so many times and he really believes he is a title threat now. Ben is well aware of the two studs in the weight class, and the one with the title is also well aware of the young man coming. It isn't a slight of Alex to believe an absolute wrecking ball may be awfully hard to keep on the bench. I thought (still think) a ton of Max Dean, but I feel pretty certain Brooks could have moved up and taken that spot anytime he wanted. MM is a Brooks type talent imo. Time and the best coaches in the world will sort this out in any event. I see 3 titles and an Olympic and World medal run in somebody's future. Enjoy.

I guess I quoted the wrong take. I was talking about our Hawkeye friend speculating that Alex can't hold off MM.

The optimist says GIA is half full ...

I know it isn't popular around here, but I agree 100% with this take. I believe PSU has a great track record of improving guys, but assuming they won't equally try and help both guys is at best a reach. MM is going to be one of the greats imo. He has a relentless attacking style and is by all accounts an absolute wrestling gym rat. I have heard Askren praise this young man so many times and he really believes he is a title threat now. Ben is well aware of the two studs in the weight class, and the one with the title is also well aware of the young man coming. It isn't a slight of Alex to believe an absolute wrecking ball may be awfully hard to keep on the bench. I thought (still think) a ton of Max Dean, but I feel pretty certain Brooks could have moved up and taken that spot anytime he wanted. MM is a Brooks type talent imo. Time and the best coaches in the world will sort this out in any event. I see 3 titles and an Olympic and World medal run in somebody's future. Enjoy.

I guess I quoted the wrong take. I was talking about our Hawkeye friend speculating that Alex can't hold off MM.
I think a lot of us think MM could start over AF. But the OP was unable to say just that; he needed to also say AF has no chance to start, has no offense, can’t beat two Iowa wrestlers, won’t ever be elite (despite already making three world teams and medaling at worlds twice), etc. That’s where I, for one, disagree. It was a couple of classless posts.

Last edited:
Take the blue and white glasses off of your head for 2 seconds and see what's actually in front of you. The guy couldn't beat heller or Bubba Wilson in his second year of college. He isn't jumping to elite no matter how many times nolf techs him in the room
Lol if only the comparisons between Iowa and Penn State guys could end after the first year… Iowa would be in a much better place.

Reactions: mcpat
Our room is so friggin good it can work counter productive with some kids for a while, destroying their confidence - al la Beau Bartlett who says he came close to hanging it up after year 2. Anyone who thinks Facundo's career can be defined by last year alone is likely severely mistaken.

The difference is Messinbrink has an Olympic shirt.... .
PS - so does Facundo!

Truth be told noone here has any idea who goes 165 next year, but we have maximum flexibility. All three potential candidates have redshirts available, and to be honest the team should cruise to another title regardless of who goes.

Aside from a desire to set a new points record, there is no 'compelling' reason to start whomever is beating whomever in the room, as the only decision criteria. The Delta is not going to be great, and one of the kids may not want to redshirt. Messi had already said he would if the coaches ask.

I suspect Cael is more likely looking 2-3 years out across 157, 165, 174, and 184 to rationalize a plan that makes the most sense. Burning another year of Alex's eligibility next year may or may not be an important element of that plan.

Well, got that off my chest (on GIA), even drawing the ire of tweetyBIRD / weakWILL and giving him a parting shot he’ll likely ignore. Doubt I’ll return, as spending time there dulls the wits (see their comments here). Not up-to-speed on MM, but like what I’m hearing. Any guess to Cael’s plan between Levi/MM/Alex, or will time in the room decide all?

PS - so does Facundo!

Truth be told noone here has any idea who goes 165 next year, but we have maximum flexibility. All three potential candidates have redshirts available, and to be honest the team should cruise to another title regardless of who goes.

Aside from a desire to set a new points record, there is no 'compelling' reason to start whomever is beating whomever in the room, as the only decision criteria. The Delta is not going to be great, and one of the kids may not want to redshirt. Messi had already said he would if the coaches ask.

I suspect Cael is more likely looking 2-3 years out across 157, 165, 174, and 184 to rationalize a plan that makes the most sense. Burning another year of Alex's eligibility next year may or may not be an important element of that plan.
Ah, posted mine before I saw yours. Good intel.

Reactions: PSUNAV
It’s ok, in light of recent events they now are saying ya gotta keep accumulating as much high end talent as possible and let it work itself out, since that’s what we do and we are at the top.

Of course, they refuse to acknowledge how this is the very thing they have maligned us for for years. Insight is lacking among many of the more vocal posters over there.
I have been reading HR for many years. Intelligent and logical is not their way, nor has it ever been.

I have been reading HR for many years. Intelligent and logical is not their way, nor has it ever been.
What are you talking about? I get all my Iowa wrestling knowledge from Ironbird. He or she is by far the most intelligent Hawkeye wrestling fan. The Hawkeye fans who post here are just wannabe Penn State fans.

Then that’s more concerning a guy you need to score points to stay in second place went to tiebreakers with him (and the guy you guys just brought in is 50/50 with him apparently)

Siebrecht has done nothing in college to say Franek wouldn't be an upgrade.
Of course he should be an upgrade. My initial response in this thread was as to whether or not he is national title threat. He hasn't been for 5 years and the Iowa room isn't going to magically give him something new. Unless getting better at pushing and wrestling for that all important stall call gets him there.

Now, 165 is an interesting situation - any idea what the plan there is?

Another interesting situation is the Ferraris. The middle one is a Hawk for a couple months and already has been recruited over. Considering how thin as the collective Ferrari skin is, any idea if this impacts the youngest Ferrari recruitment?

Reactions: Sullivan
Of course he should be an upgrade. My initial response in this thread was as to whether or not he is national title threat. He hasn't been for 5 years and the Iowa room isn't going to magically give him something new. Unless getting better at pushing and wrestling for that all important stall call gets him there.

Another interesting situation is the Ferraris. The middle one is a Hawk for a couple months and already has been recruited over. Considering how thin as the collective Ferrari skin is, any idea if this impacts the youngest Ferrari recruitment?
Saying Franek isn’t a National Title threat is a little much, unless you think the 157 title is already wrapped up as Levis, because Franek is the highest returning placer after Levi and has never gone H2H with Levi

Last edited:
Reactions: zzs006

Good point Caliendo has 3 more years of eligibility.

I know Iowa guys generally don’t improve after their 1st year wrestling in college, but that doesn’t hold true everywhere outside of Iowa City. On top of that, we’re talking about a guy that was U20 OW at nationals last year, scoring 74 points in seven bouts, before winning the U20 WTT 10-0 and 12-0. So forgive us for not giving up on him yet.
But how did he do at ncaas a few months ago?

He did beat Amine and lost to Kennedy in OT. He moves his feet, initiates offense, has a gas tank and continues to get back up and goes again. There is a lot to work with. My guess is Facundo is way better with a much higher ceiling than you think.

Of course I wouldn't expect a Hawk fan to recognize an elite wrestler in the developmental stage. It doesn't happen in Iowa City frequently enough to allow you to grasp the growing stages. You guys think you either pop out of the womb ready to dominate (spencer) or you don't (murin and young).
Ok, he beat amine who was known to be hurt at the time (also lost to a tosu backup)
People progess enough to keep us top 3 every year without purchasing everyone's finest lmao. So nice try I guess

Saying Franek isn’t a National Title threat is a little much, unless you think the 157 title is already wrapped up as Levis, because Franek is the highest returning placer after Levi and has never gone H2H with Levi
Second highest returning placer or not, while a very good wrestler a national champion isn't what I see when I watch him wrestle. I also don't see Iowa all of a sudden figuring out how to train a national champ.

Ok, he beat amine who was known to be hurt at the time (also lost to a tosu backup)
People progess enough to keep us top 3 every year without purchasing everyone's finest lmao. So nice try I guess
If you think you won that exchange, that is humorous. Great to see a Hawk fan who understands the new Hawk standard is 3rd place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT