ADVERTISEMENT

2019 schedule: 2 bye weeks, at OSU 11/23, White Out 10/19 against Mich.

dcf4psu

Nov 7, 2003
State College
I thought we played OSU too early this year and I'm not sure what to make of playing them so late next year but I would think it's good news for Michigan. We have a 12 months to see, however.

I'm jumping the gun on the white out call, but other than Michigan I guess it could also the Pitt game?

Aug. 31 Idaho
Sept. 7 Buffalo
Sept. 14 Pittsburgh
Sept. 28 at Maryland*
Oct. 5 Purdue*
Oct. 12 at Iowa*
Oct. 19 Michigan*
Oct. 26 at Michigan State*
Nov. 9 at Minnesota*
Nov. 16 Indiana*
Nov. 23 at Ohio State*
Nov. 30 Rutgers*

I thought we played OSU too early this year and I'm not sure what to make of playing them so late next year but I would think it's good news for Michigan. We have a 12 months to see, however.

I'm jumping the gun on the white out call, but other than Michigan I guess it could also the Pitt game?

Aug. 31 Idaho
Sept. 7 Buffalo
Sept. 14 Pittsburgh
Sept. 28 at Maryland*
Oct. 5 Purdue*
Oct. 12 at Iowa*
Oct. 19 Michigan*
Nov. 9 at Minnesota*
Nov. 16 Indiana*
Nov. 23 at Ohio State*
Nov. 30 Rutgers*

Whiteout will be Michigan without a doubt.

Reactions: TheGLOV

Aug. 31 Idaho
Sept. 7 Buffalo
Sept. 14 Pittsburgh
Sept. 28 at Maryland*
Oct. 5 Purdue*
Oct. 12 at Iowa*
Oct. 19 Michigan*
Nov. 9 at Minnesota*
Nov. 16 Indiana*
Nov. 23 at Ohio State*
Nov. 30 Rutgers*
We are not wasting a White Out on PITT.

Penn State really should be able to go 10-2 or 11-1 with that schedule and the talent returning. Toughest games are at Iowa and Ohio State, and home against Michigan. Penn State needs to take care of business against Michigan State.

Reactions: john4psu
Why? Penn State has had Michigan and Ohio State back-to-back around a dozen times. How often has either of Delaney's darlings faced a power opponent prior to their love fest?

PSU played them back-to-back in '93 and '94, but had a bye week between the two games each year, so I wouldn't categorize those as back-to-back games. After those seasons, the years in which PSU played Michigan and Ohio State (in whichever order) in back-to-back games were:

2013 (again, a bye week between the games, so I wouldn't include them as back-to-back games)
2014 (again, a bye week between the games, so I wouldn't include them as back-to-back games)

So the PSU played tOSU and Michigan in back-to-back games (without a bye between them) 4 times in 26 seasons. That doesn't seem excessive, or all that unusual.

How does it compare to tOSU and Michigan.

tOSU - years when they played PSU and Michigan (in whichever order) in back-to-back games where there wasn't a bye between the games:

So tOSU has played PSU and Michigan in one back-to-back game since PSU joined the B1G.

Michigan - years when they played PSU and tOSU (in whichever order) in back-to-back games where there wasn't a bye between the games:

So Michigan has played PSU and tOSU in five back-to-back games since PSU joined the B1G.

Before B1G went from 11 to 14 teams, there were some years where Michigan rotated off of PSU's schedule, whereas tOSU was always on PSU's schedule.

There's also the issue of tOSU - Michigan always being the last game of their respective regular seasons, whereas the PSU playing either team can take place in any week where league competitions take place.

So if you look at the big picture, in the years since PSU joined the B1G, Michigan has played tOSU and PSU five times in back-to-back games, PSU has played tOSU and Michigan four times in back-to-back games, and Ohio State has played PSU and Michigan one time in back-to-back games.

It doesn't appear that anything is out of order in the number of times that Michigan has played the other two teams in the discussion in back-to-back games, or in the number of times that PSU has played the other teams in the discussion in back-to-back games. The only outlier is Ohio State only playing the other two teams in the discussion one time in back-to-back games since PSU joined the B1G.

Two years in a row we got MSU after Ohio State, now we get them after Michigan. That sucks.

I think everyone should have a bye week the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Bad weather and the students are gone.

Next year we have Rutgers so I guess that's sort like a bye week.

Reactions: nittanybear
PSU played them back-to-back in '93 and '94, but had a bye week between the two games each year, so I wouldn't categorize those as back-to-back games. After those seasons, the years in which PSU played Michigan and Ohio State (in whichever order) in back-to-back games were:

2013 (again, a bye week between the games, so I wouldn't include them as back-to-back games)
2014 (again, a bye week between the games, so I wouldn't include them as back-to-back games)

So the PSU played tOSU and Michigan in back-to-back games (without a bye between them) 4 times in 26 seasons. That doesn't seem excessive, or all that unusual.

How does it compare to tOSU and Michigan.

tOSU - years when they played PSU and Michigan (in whichever order) in back-to-back games where there wasn't a bye between the games:

So tOSU has played PSU and Michigan in one back-to-back game since PSU joined the B1G.

Michigan - years when they played PSU and tOSU (in whichever order) in back-to-back games where there wasn't a bye between the games:

So Michigan has played PSU and tOSU in five back-to-back games since PSU joined the B1G.

Before B1G went from 11 to 14 teams, there were some years where Michigan rotated off of PSU's schedule, whereas tOSU was always on PSU's schedule.

There's also the issue of tOSU - Michigan always being the last game of their respective regular seasons, whereas the PSU playing either team can take place in any week where league competitions take place.

So if you look at the big picture, in the years since PSU joined the B1G, Michigan has played tOSU and PSU five times in back-to-back games, PSU has played tOSU and Michigan four times in back-to-back games, and Ohio State has played PSU and Michigan one time in back-to-back games.

It doesn't appear that anything is out of order in the number of times that Michigan has played the other two teams in the discussion in back-to-back games, or in the number of times that PSU has played the other teams in the discussion in back-to-back games. The only outlier is Ohio State only playing the other two teams in the discussion one time in back-to-back games since PSU joined the B1G.

Penn State plays Delaney's Darlings back-to-back again in 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, and 2025. That doesn't appear "normal" IMO. The fact that OSU has only had to play the 2 teams most likely to be competitive (ignoring sanction years) back-to-back ONE time certainly does give the Buckeyes a scheduling advantage.

I seriously doubt any Big 12 school has to play Texas and Oklahoma b-to-b as often, nor that any ACC school has Clemson and FSU so often b-to-b. It might not be relevant at all, but in my warped mind, such scheduling can derail any real momentum for a team since both OSU and UM are usually loaded with top talent and great coaching. It's tough to beat them both in a single year much less in a single month.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT