ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

That's an insult to fox chapel. More like a district 8 JV team. Lol. Narduzzi can coach Brashear or Allderdice. Am I reading this correctly that Peabody, Schenely and Oliver have all closed in the last 10-15 years? Schenley had a decent programs in the late 90's. At least by D8 standards.
Schenley and Peabody definitely both closed at around the same time in around 2008-2009. The Peabody building is now the Obama Academy, but I'm not sure if they have football. The old Schenley building is being turned into upscale apartments. Schenley had a couple great basketball teams in the years before they closed, and won a few state championships. Allderdice had a really good basketball team the past few years, and lost in the state championship last year to Roman Catholic and all the kids who now suit up for us.

Reactions: NOVAJAKE
Schenley and Peabody definitely both closed at around the same time in around 2008-2009. The Peabody building is now the Obama Academy, but I'm not sure if they have football. The old Schenley building is being turned into upscale apartments. Schenley had a couple great basketball teams in the years before they closed, and won a few state championships. Allderdice had a really good basketball team the past few years, and lost in the state championship last year to Roman Catholic and all the kids who now suit up for us.
Ken Durrett went to Schenley.

Reactions: LionJim
Penn State is hosting four-star Philadelphia Imhotep Charter safety Isheem Young this weekend.

The talented junior arrived in State College last night, and he'll spend Saturday visiting the different sights and sounds on campus, he told PennLive.

Young is joined on campus this weekend by a group of recruits from Muskegon, Mich., that includes four-star tackle Antwan Reed, and Columbus, Ohio three-star linebacker Brian Asamoah will visit on Sunday.

Obama doesn't have their own football team; the kids who go there play for University Prep, which is in the Hill District. The kids from Science and Tech also play for that team. They are actually pretty decent within the City League, although they'd get hammered in the WPIAL.

Reactions: Raffycorn
PSU QB verbal Justin Fields, the #1 qb in the nation according to Rank By Offers, ran a 4.51 40 and 4.16 shuttle at 6'3" 223 at The Opening.

Last edited:
Reactions: royboy

Not that it means jack squat, but to put in comparison - Fields recorded a 33 inch vertical at 6'3" 221- Big Dog III said he was measured at 45 even though he measured 41 during workouts. I assume Fields is a tremendous athlete but it gives you a comparison as to what a freak Big Dog III is after watching dunk contest last night.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Not that it means jack squat, but to put in comparison - Fields recorded a 33 inch vertical at 6'3" 221- Big Dog III said he was measured at 45 even though he measured 41 during workouts. I assume Fields is a tremendous athlete but it gives you a comparison as to what a freak Big Dog III is after watching dunk contest last night.

For more perspective, Derek (Cameron) Wake measured a 45.5" vertical at the NFL combine - good for #2 all time (at the time of his record).

Cool story, bro.

If he's such a freak, he'd be averaging more than 6 points a game.

For more perspective, Derek (Cameron) Wake measured a 45.5" vertical at the NFL combine - good for #2 all time (at the time of his record).

I thought that back in the day,44 inches vertical was David Thompson territory and I can say that few if any could elevate like Skywalker. Only other guy from that era that I could say was in the same class was Darrell Griffith, Doctor Dunkenstein.

I thought that back in the day,44 inches vertical was David Thompson territory and I can say that few if any could elevate like Skywalker. Only other guy from that era that I could say was in the same class was Darrell Griffith, Doctor Dunkenstein.

Dunno - but it's true.

Reactions: T J and TheGLOV

Back in that day, it was with minimal or zero weight training. Just God given ability.
Different era now. It seems that almost every athlete today can do 30" vertical. Even some big linemen carrying lots of weight themselves can do it.....

But for a 17 year old to put up numbers like Fields is very special. Couldn't ask for a better leader for the 2018 class!!!

Justin's numbers would be outstanding for a LB or DE. 6"3 221lb, 4.5 40-yard. For a QB, that's unreal. He's a future 5* for sure.

He's ranked #1 QB by offers and he's in the heart of SEC country. I feel he'll be as sought after as Micah if not already. But thank goodness he's been the vocal leader of this class and QBs like that usually stick to their committment.

Last edited:
Fields will end up being the best quarterback prospect in this class and it won't be close. I'll take an elite dual-threat athlete at quarterback any day of the week over a less mobile pocket passer.

The Opening regionals, IIRC, do laser-timed 40 yard dashes, too - this isn't a generous stop watch at work. Unreal.

Fields will end up being the best quarterback prospect in this class and it won't be close. I'll take an elite dual-threat athlete at quarterback any day of the week over a less mobile pocket passer.

The Opening regionals, IIRC, do laser-timed 40 yard dashes, too - this isn't a generous stop watch at work. Unreal.
and he will be a 3 year starter

I agree. I'll add that he's not only a special athlete, but also a special passer as well. He's always looking up field and uses his athleticism to evade defenders. His tape shows him dropping deep and accurate bombs all day.

ESPN already has him as the #1 Dual Threat QB. 247 just moved him up a bunch and he's right on the cusp of being a composite 5*. So the other services will catch up.

It must be weird for some of these recruits to look at what's coming up behind them. None of these guys are afraid of competition, when you get to where they are, but it still must give them something to think about at times.

I'll be glad next February when Justin signs his Letter of Intent to play ball at Penn State. Until then, I'll be nervous.

Agree, teams are going to come after him HARD. But he seems so onboard with PSU that I'm hoping another BIG title never makes him waver even a bit.

I've been following Penn State football since 1968 and have never seen the pantry so well stocked at QB:

Trace (redshirt junior)
Stevens (redshirt sophomore)
Zembiec (redshirt freshman)
Clifford (true freshman)
Fields (2018 commit)

And they're allowed to make adjustments at the line and throw deep unlike prior regimes.

Just saying.

The only person who grounded "Air-Paterno" was Joe Paterno himself!

I've been following Penn State football since 1968 and have never seen the pantry so well stocked at QB:

Trace (redshirt junior)
Stevens (redshirt sophomore)
Zembiec (redshirt freshman)
Clifford (true freshman)
Fields (2018 commit)

newsome, Devlin, Jones, and Bolden were all pretty good on paper too. Just saying you never know. They could all bomb out.

PSU QB verbal Justin Fields, the #1 qb in the nation according to Rank By Offers, ran a 4.51 40 and 4.16 shuttle at 6'3" 223 at The Opening.

5136056.PNG

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/56/136/5136056.PNG[/QUOTE]

newsome, Devlin, Jones, and Bolden were all pretty good on paper too. Just saying you never know. They could all bomb out.

And Blackledge, Hostetler, Lonergan, Rocco. 1980 Roster.

Tom Bill, Sacca (both top recruits), Nardolillo, JayPa. 1989 Roster.

And how about the 2001 roster. Ganter, Mills, MRob, Senneca. The beginning of he "dark years". Some here believe that the current QB's are far superior to all past QB rosters. On the contrary, I believe the supporting cast, the rest of the roster, goes a long way in making a QB's performance good or bad. For example, if Zack Mills was on a better PSU team, one with a good defense, a RB such as Barkley, or Blair Thomas, or Warner. WR's such as ARob or Godwin. And an offensive coordinator such as Moorhead. Wouldn't Mills win lots of games?

But, yes, the 2018 QB roster would be very impressive if all are still at PSU by then.... Lots of top recruit QB's flop, everywhere, so it will be very interesting to see who rises to the top. And even more interesting if there is a significant injury to a starter that causes us to get to see another QB in significant action.....

Last edited:
Reactions: WyomingLion
Darnell Hillman had serious hops too. For those of you who didn't have the privilege of seeing David Thompson do his thing, take my word for it: he was spectacular.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT