ADVERTISEMENT

Philadelphia 76ers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched some of the game highlights and am I seeing things or is it fair to say that Simmons has as good a handle as any 6' 10" player ever? Maybe the best for any player that size? His ball handling skills for a guy that size are fantastic.

Just watched some of the game highlights and am I seeing things or is it fair to say that Simmons has as good a handle as any 6' 10" player ever? Maybe the best for any player that size?

I'm a career wrestler so take this with a grain of salt, but imo he's a bigger, slightly less athletic version of Lebron

I watched the Embiid Interview after the game. He is a very likable dude, easy to root for and somewhat humble. With his intensity on the court, he could be an all-time Philly favorite.

I watched the Embiid Interview after the game. He is a very likable dude, easy to root for and somewhat humble. With his intensity on the court, he could be an all-time Philly favorite.
If he keeps scoring at a clip of 28 points per 30 minutes he'll definitely be an all-time Philly favorite.

Reactions: Relayer
I got to watch the first 1/3 of tonight's game against Portland. That certainly was entertaining. The Sixers were up 16-0 before the Trail Blazers scored a point. Simmons was silky smooth. Covington was draining hits shots. Embiid looked pretty good when he was in. He still goes for the 1st move on defense, but has the speed and size to sometimes recover.

This team is already more entertaining than any Sixers team from the past 5 seasons. 6 seasons ago, in the strike-shortened season, the Sixers were OK in the regular season, and overachieved in the postseason.

Reactions: Nittany Security
I got the sixers at 33-1 to win the east. Pretty decent odds considering how much they keep improving. So many things going right. Simmons and embiid are freaks. Roco has really turned into one of the best 3 and d players in the league. If fultz can turn into even just a streaky scorer, this team has a great opportunity in front of it. The upcoming game against Cleveland will be a nice litmus test.

Reactions: jmorovich
Been a 76 ers fan for 40 plus years and I am really enjoying watching them play. Haven't enjoyed like this since Dr. J and the Moses Malone days. They have something special. Hope for good health .

Zach Lowe on Simmons and the Sixers....

The starting lineup is killing people. It's the bench that has held them back, especially the injuries. Run Fultz with the bench group when he gets back.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21528928/zach-lowe-10-things-like-including-ben-simmons-nba

1. Ben Simmons, freight train
Simmons understands his physical advantages -- the uniqueness of someone so huge being able to dribble and move so fast. He can take elite wing defenders one-on-one without a screen, and without even really beating them off the bounce:

Andre Iguodala -- all-time stopper, NBA Finals MVP, one of the only players who can at least make LeBron James acknowledge the humanity of the person defending him. Simmons just plows through Iguodala. When people say they see something of LeBron in Simmons, this is it -- this undeniable freight train element, combined with unteachable two-steps-ahead vision. Unless you have one of the rare wings with power forward size -- or a power forward quick enough to defend wings -- you have to send help.

He is especially LeBron-y in transition. Even when a good defender is in front of him, the other four see Simmons barreling to the rim, panic and converge -- leaving shooters open everywhere. Only the very best fast-break conductors inspire that kind of terror: Russell Westbrook, James Harden, John Wall, LeBron and maybe a couple of others.

Simmons is shooting 71 percent on transition chances, ninth among 156 players who have finished at least 20 fast breaks so far -- and, fittingly, just one spot behind LeBron, according to Synergy Sports. Philly's bizarro super-big starting lineup -- Simmons, J.J. Redick, Robert "Bob" Covington, Dario Saric and Joel Embiid -- is an absolute matchup nightmare. It is unconventional to the point of disruption.

Simmons can guard all five positions, but only one or two guys on the other team have any chance guarding him. If Simmons defends someone else -- say, a point guard -- and Philly gets a stop, the five guys on the other team run around pointing with alarmed looks on their faces trying to normalize the matchups. If they don't, Simmons, Saric or Embiid bulldozes a mismatch in the post.

That group has outscored opponents by an absurd 29 points per 100 possessions, the best mark among all 68 five-man groups that have logged at least 50 minutes, per NBA.com. It is filled with smart passers, and Saric has improved his 3-point shot. Philly has blitzed teams by about 13 points per 100 possessions when both Simmons and Embiid are on the floor, per NBA.com.

They have been vulnerable when one of them rests -- and really whenever Embiid is off the floor -- but Brett Brown is smartly staggering minutes so that they rarely rest together.

Philly is 10-7 after a murderous, road-heavy schedule. That is better than they expected. They should -- at minimum -- stay in the playoff race all season, provided good health and some confirmation that Markelle Fultz still exists.

Reactions: Pocky
Sixers #9 in latest Power rankings.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ings-our-expert-panel-unveils-rankings-week-7

One place behind the Blazers. Who they whipped handily last week. But, whatever.

What a week for the Sixers and the fans!!!! We get Sixers and Cavs tonight with Simmons and Lebron going at it, should be fantastic since they are good friends and work out together in the off season. Wednesday night we get Wall and the Wizards with the Celtics on Thursday night!!! This week will start to show how good this team is and how far they have come

What a week for the Sixers and the fans!!!! We get Sixers and Cavs tonight with Simmons and Lebron going at it, should be fantastic since they are good friends and work out together in the off season. Wednesday night we get Wall and the Wizards with the Celtics on Thursday night!!! This week will start to show how good this team is and how far they have come

Wall is out for at least two weeks with a knee injury. Hopefully Simmons elbow swelling has gone down.

I'm heading to the game tonight. Haven't been to a Sixers game since the Dr. J years.

I'm heading to the game tonight. Haven't been to a Sixers game since the Dr. J years.

Headed to the game Wednesday. Was looking forward to seeing a Wall and Beal. Sucks that Wall is out but should bode well for the Sixers chances.

Really hoping they make a statement tonight with the Cavs in town.

Saw Lebron in Philly 2 years ago. He’s just a physical freak when you actually see him in person.

Wall is out for at least two weeks with a knee injury. Hopefully Simmons elbow swelling has gone down.

Sounds like its 50/50 whether Simmonds plays tonight he has been getting treatment 24/7. I would think he plays since it's against his mentor and good friend plus Wade as well. Wade had some really awesome things to say about him today. Said his quickness for a guy that big is insane. Reminds him completely of LBJ a triple double machine every night. Nightmare to guard on the fast break. Love's how he plays his game and isn't just set up outside trying to make it rain 3's like many other top players do when they come out of college. What makes him so great and hard to defend. He can drive and dish or drive and finish. Thinks the comparison's to LBJ are spot on.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...en-simmons-joel-embiid-free-agency/903125001/

If James, who can become a free agent after this season, decides to leave the Cavaliers, he could – and should – consider the 76ers, and executives around the league believe Sixers president of basketball operations Bryan Colangelo will attempt to sign James.

Let’s start with rudimentary salary cap issues. The Sixers are one of a few teams who have significant salary cap space to use in the summer of 2018. They would need to make a few moves to get close to a $34 million max salary for James in year one, but it can be done.

But if not Cleveland, why not Philadelphia? As James gets older (he turns 33 on Dec 30), he will need a younger team filled with All-Star caliber players. The Sixers check those boxes. Simmons is 21, Embiid 23, Saric 23, Fultz 19, Covington 26, and Philadelphia has the second-youngest team and the third-most inexperienced roster in the NBA this season.

Embiid should be an All-Star this season, and Simmons is headed in that direction, and while Fultz’s rookie year hasn’t gone as expected, he is the No. 1 overall pick from the June draft.

James, Simmons, Embiid, Covington, Redick in the starting lineup with Saric, Fultz, Johnson, T.J. McConnell, Richaun Holmes and Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot off the bench.

Lots of smoke that the Sixers are lining up making a run at Lebron in the off season if he opts out... seeing also the Sixers would be at the top of his list of teams to go

Not gonna happen

11065680.gif

Reactions: bwifan
What a joke. They have purposely fouled Simmons on 12 straight possessions to send him to the line. This isn't basketball. The Sixers have been on the foul line 60 times tonight.

What a joke. They have purposely fouled Simmons on 12 straight possessions to send him to the line. This isn't basketball. The Sixers have been on the foul line 60 times tonight.

I am glad the commissioner is there to see this ... absolute disgrace. If I paid money to sit through this game I would be livid. Yes Brooks is playing by the rules but this is hideous to watch

Reactions: Relayer
I am glad the commissioner is there to see this ... absolute disgrace. If I paid money to sit through this game I would be livid. Yes Brooks is playing by the rules but this is hideous to watch

He’s not here to see this....he left in the 3rd.

I am and it’s BRUTAL!!

Yes that was ridiculous and they need to make some rule changes to prevent that type of stuff from occurring.....Glad to see him make some at the end and at least he got lots of actual game practice to work on his FT shooting! A little over 50% isn't as bad as some, but he will definitely need to improve that as he grows in the league.

IMO, If you intentionally foul someone without the ball it should be 2 shots and the ball...that would eliminate most of this right away. They were just grabbing him as soon as the ball was inbounded. At make them foul the guy with the ball like happens in college.

Yes that was ridiculous and they need to make some rule changes to prevent that type of stuff from occurring.....Glad to see him make some at the end and at least he got lots of actual game practice to work on his FT shooting! A little over 50% isn't as bad as some, but he will definitely need to improve that as he grows in the league.

IMO, If you intentionally foul someone without the ball it should be 2 shots and the ball...that would eliminate most of this right away. They were just grabbing him as soon as the ball was inbounded. At make them foul the guy with the ball like happens in college.
I agree either, if the non-ball handler is intentionally fouled, either return the ball to the team after the free throws or allow the actual ball handler to shoot the foul shots. If the defense can "designate" who they will foul regardless of possession, the offense should be able to designate who will shoot.

I agree either, if the non-ball handler is intentionally fouled, either return the ball to the team after the free throws or allow the actual ball handler to shoot the foul shots. If the defense can "designate" who they will foul regardless of possession, the offense should be able to designate who will shoot.
Or 3 to make 2 like the old days

Hey, he's got to make his free throws. Easy solution if Brett Brown wanted to avoid it was to sit him on the bench. He's worried more about the long term than the short term so he wanted Ben to work through it. He did hit 6 of his last 8.

Make no mistake I would still feel a change needs to be made even if Simmons made all the FT and Sixers won by 50.... to foul someone the second they inbound the ball and off the ball when he doesn't even have it was ridiculous. This was not basketball or a game. Simmons would stand in the corner and the second they inbound the all foul him walk to the other end of the court he shoots the FT and Wizards sprint down and launch a 3 ... was rinse repeat for how many possessions? I watch and go to games to see basketball not a FT shooting competition for the entire 4th quarter. I get the last 2 minutes but an entire quarter was ridiculous and rule changes need to be made. Otherwise they will lose viewers and fans in the stands. I don't blame Brooks he was playing by the rules and am glad the commish was there to see it live and hear the boos rain down.

Reactions: harjeff
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT