ADVERTISEMENT

Philadelphia 76ers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
"People often mistake pessimism and negativity for intelligence.

Predicting everything will be shitty all the time and then declaring yourself a genius whenever something shitty happens isnt being smart. It's being an @sshole."

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Tanks for nothing: Ben Simmons has bust written all over him

BY ANGELO CATALDI
MAY 23, 2016

The bandwagon is finally rolling again for the Sixers after three excruciating years, but there’s a pothole up ahead. It has a name: Ben Simmons.

That’s right. The biggest prize after losing 199 games, on purpose, over the past three seasons will be no prize at all. If indeed the Sixers fulfill the predictions of most NBA experts and select the LSU enigma with the first pick in the draft next month, all of our suffering will have been in vain.

Because Ben Simmons is not going to be the next Allen Iverson. In fact, he has a much better chance of becoming the next Shawn Bradley.

How can I – hardly an expert on college basketball – be so sure of this bold forecast? After 40 years in sports media, let’s just say I have learned that disasters have a distinct pattern. Ben Simmons fits the prototype of draft busts, a gifted athlete with overpowering character flaws – far too many character flaws.

For example, when he played on the Australian national basketball team, he acquired a nickname: The Yank. This was not a term of endearment. Aussies see Americans as selfish, obnoxious non-conformists. Simmons didn’t listen to coaches. Because he was so talented, he felt a sense of entitlement.

Then he got to LSU, and the imperfections became even easier to detect. Yes, he averaged 19 points a game and 12 rebounds, but he was known to pad his stats late in blowouts, he resisted instruction and he preferred not to take the biggest shots in games, even though he was the best player on a mediocre team.

By the way, he is also a poor outside shooter, has an aversion to defense and, at 19, has maturity issues reminiscent of two current Sixer head cases, Joel Embiid and Jahlil Okafor. If coach Brett Brown thinks a player drowning in Shirley Temples or racing 108 mph over the Ben Franklin Bridge is nuts, wait until he meets Ben Simmons.

Oh, wait. Brown has met Simmons because he coached his father in Australia many years ago. Brown has already offered nothing but platitudes for the kid whose family he knows so well. He even compared Simmons to Magic Johnson last week.

At 6-10, Simmons is tall enough, fast enough and smart enough. But is he committed enough? Will pockets filled with money make him more determined to succeed, or even less so?

Good luck with that one. Magic Johnson was more than just an exquisite collection of magnificent physical skills. He was a warrior. The bigger the game, the higher he rose. I don’t have to remind anyone of the time he destroyed the Sixers while playing center in Game 6 of the 1980 NBA Finals, do I?

Ben Simmons has exhibited none of those leadership qualities. I know what you’re thinking. Give the kid a break; he’s only 19. The problem is, there is no room for sympathy at the top of the draft. Remember, when the Sixers picked Bradley No. 2 in 1993, his 7-6 frame reminded people of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Of course, we know the rest. He was softer than a kitten. In the end, he fell victim to an addiction to fast food and a distaste for working hard. He amounted to nothing.

Scouts can measure height, vertical leap and foot speed, but they have a much harder time with character. At 6-10, Simmons is tall enough, fast enough and smart enough. But is he committed enough? Will pockets filled with money make him more determined to succeed, or even less so?

The answers to those questions should be obvious by now. The Sixers waited three years to get the best young player in America. Ben Simmons is definitely not that player.

Often you will hear that players have done something that put them in exclusive or elite company. Few times, however, has that been as true as the company Ben Simmons joined Friday night when he recorded his second career triple-double.

The Philadelphia 76ers' rookie point guard finished with 14 points, 11 rebounds, and 11 assists in the Sixers' 121-110 victory over the Indiana Pacers.

Recording his second triple-double in just nine career games puts Simmons in the same category as two of the game's all-time greats.

For one, Simmons became the second player in 76ers history to record two triple-doubles in the first nine games of a season. The only other player to do that was Wilt Chamberlain.

In addition, Simmons is now just the second rookie in NBA history to record two triple-doubles in the first nine games of their career. Before him, only Oscar Robertson had accomplished that feat. Any time you're accomplishing things that only Chamberlain and Robertson have done, that's a pretty good sign.

For the season, Simmons is now shockingly close to averaging a triple-double, as he's putting up 18 points, 9.7 rebounds, and 8.2 assists per game. Of course, it's extremely unlikely he actually averages a triple-double, but still, to be this close as a rookie is remarkable.

Reactions: bwifan

BY ANGELO CATALDI
MAY 23, 2016

The bandwagon is finally rolling again for the Sixers after three excruciating years, but there’s a pothole up ahead. It has a name: Ben Simmons.

That’s right. The biggest prize after losing 199 games, on purpose, over the past three seasons will be no prize at all. If indeed the Sixers fulfill the predictions of most NBA experts and select the LSU enigma with the first pick in the draft next month, all of our suffering will have been in vain.

Because Ben Simmons is not going to be the next Allen Iverson. In fact, he has a much better chance of becoming the next Shawn Bradley.

How can I – hardly an expert on college basketball – be so sure of this bold forecast? After 40 years in sports media, let’s just say I have learned that disasters have a distinct pattern. Ben Simmons fits the prototype of draft busts, a gifted athlete with overpowering character flaws – far too many character flaws.

For example, when he played on the Australian national basketball team, he acquired a nickname: The Yank. This was not a term of endearment. Aussies see Americans as selfish, obnoxious non-conformists. Simmons didn’t listen to coaches. Because he was so talented, he felt a sense of entitlement.

Then he got to LSU, and the imperfections became even easier to detect. Yes, he averaged 19 points a game and 12 rebounds, but he was known to pad his stats late in blowouts, he resisted instruction and he preferred not to take the biggest shots in games, even though he was the best player on a mediocre team.

By the way, he is also a poor outside shooter, has an aversion to defense and, at 19, has maturity issues reminiscent of two current Sixer head cases, Joel Embiid and Jahlil Okafor. If coach Brett Brown thinks a player drowning in Shirley Temples or racing 108 mph over the Ben Franklin Bridge is nuts, wait until he meets Ben Simmons.

Oh, wait. Brown has met Simmons because he coached his father in Australia many years ago. Brown has already offered nothing but platitudes for the kid whose family he knows so well. He even compared Simmons to Magic Johnson last week.

At 6-10, Simmons is tall enough, fast enough and smart enough. But is he committed enough? Will pockets filled with money make him more determined to succeed, or even less so?

Good luck with that one. Magic Johnson was more than just an exquisite collection of magnificent physical skills. He was a warrior. The bigger the game, the higher he rose. I don’t have to remind anyone of the time he destroyed the Sixers while playing center in Game 6 of the 1980 NBA Finals, do I?

Ben Simmons has exhibited none of those leadership qualities. I know what you’re thinking. Give the kid a break; he’s only 19. The problem is, there is no room for sympathy at the top of the draft. Remember, when the Sixers picked Bradley No. 2 in 1993, his 7-6 frame reminded people of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Of course, we know the rest. He was softer than a kitten. In the end, he fell victim to an addiction to fast food and a distaste for working hard. He amounted to nothing.

Scouts can measure height, vertical leap and foot speed, but they have a much harder time with character. At 6-10, Simmons is tall enough, fast enough and smart enough. But is he committed enough? Will pockets filled with money make him more determined to succeed, or even less so?

The answers to those questions should be obvious by now. The Sixers waited three years to get the best young player in America. Ben Simmons is definitely not that player.

Reminds me of David Jones Nov, 2015 articles on Franklin and the state of PSU football. Could anyone be so wrong?

Reminds me of David Jones Nov, 2015 articles on Franklin and the state of PSU football. Could anyone be so wrong?

As bad as Davey Boy Jones is, he is better than Angelo Cataldi. Cataldi is the dregs of radio sports talk. Literally knows nothing about the game and only likes to hear himself talk and yell. Truly knows about nothing. And get outside of Philly sports and I doubt he could even name all the NBA teams in the league. How he is still on the radio I have no idea other than Philly sports fans aren't the brightest in the world either and appear to like that kind of discussion. Howard Eskin, MIke Missanelli, Cataldi, they are all horrible with no clue.

BY ANGELO CATALDI
MAY 23, 2016

Bwahahaha! Cataldi is a steaming pile of dump. This article cemented Simmons future as one of the great Sixers.

Reactions: Nitwit97

Did he organize a dirty thirty bus trip to last years NBA draft? Only had to watch that awful spectacle a hundred times or so during McNabb's career.

As bad as Davey Boy Jones is, he is better than Angelo Cataldi. Cataldi is the dregs of radio sports talk. Literally knows nothing about the game and only likes to hear himself talk and yell. Truly knows about nothing. And get outside of Philly sports and I doubt he could even name all the NBA teams in the league. How he is still on the radio I have no idea other than Philly sports fans aren't the brightest in the world either and appear to like that kind of discussion. Howard Eskin, MIke Missanelli, Cataldi, they are all horrible with no clue.
To be fair, I don't think Missanelli should get lumped in with those two. I get that some people don't like him, but he's not purely hate filled like the other two. He's far more positive (which means hes about a 3 on a scale of 1-10) than the other two. He's not as bad as Francesca either. Plus he punched a producer and got fired from a couple of side gigs for profanity or other politically incorrect things.

And philly sports fans aren't the dumbest. Not by a long shot. They're actually some of the most informed. Sometimes (Often) they're blowhards, but they're still generally well-informed. New York and Florida fan bases are much dumber.

Cataldi is clueless about sports

and he is by all accounts a real POS and as cheap as he is portrayed on the show

Reactions: jrs1024
Moving on, I just laid down a couple units on Sixers. 14-1 to win the division and 33-1 to win the conference. Worth a shot with the east sucking so bad.

Moving on, I just laid down a couple units on Sixers. 14-1 to win the division and 33-1 to win the conference. Worth a shot with the east sucking so bad.
pretty good odds...Cleveland doesn't look good; loss of Irving has hurt their offense, not playing good defense at this point, and it's an old team
Boston has some good young players, but significant injury problems
Orlando, Detroit, Washington, Toronto, etc., maybe somebody emerges, but nothing special

USATSI_10386126.jpg

damn, they're playing the Kings tonight -- the team with the worst offense in the NBA -- and the Sixers trail at the half 64-57. The Kings are throwing it up from anywhere, and it's going in. The Sixers D, with the exception of Covington, has been so-so.

Simmons is not playing like a rookie. He is so smooth. Embiid continues to be a work in progress. He dominates at times, and makes silly mistakes at other times.

Three times in the 1st half Covington was fouled shooting a 3-pointer. I don't recall ever seeing that with one player in one half in a NBA game.

The Sixers may yet win this game, but I wasn't expecting the Kings to be much of a challenge, and so far they've been more than a challenge.

Tough loss, had another late lead but couldn't make a basket in the last minute. I think Brown should have called a TO with 14 sec left. He let them play and Embiid had to throw up a desperation shot.

Simmons is a taller, faster Jason Kidd.

Embiid has off the charts athleticism, but his basketball IQ is suffering from having started playing the game late. Sometimes he looks like he's premeditating his iso moves rather than actually countering how the defender is actually playing him.

I don’t know how that’s only a 2 pt lead at half. Otherwise, that half had it all

Nice win for the good guys. If they beat the Lakers on Wednesday, they’ll be back to two games over .500.

They’ve been competitive in all their games too. The Process Bus is chugging along right now.

I think the Sixers have also played the toughest schedule of anyone in the Nba to this point.
Brown says Embiid's conditioning is at 70% right now, coming back from knee surgery. But you can tell he's slowly rounding into form.

This team will have its ups and downs but man are they fun to watch and will get better and better all season ... hoops is fun again to watch in philly
I couldn't NOT stay up and watch them beat the Clips last night. They still have some trouble closing out games, but I saw some improvement in that department when they intentionally fouled up by 3 with 3 seconds left. Smart move by the good guys.

If they learn how to close out games (please Markelle, come back to reality), they're going to be really dangerous. I don't know if i still like my 14-1 for the division bet, but that 33-1 for the conference is looking fairly plausible in an awful East.

Simmons is a beast. They gotta get this Fultz and Okafor thing ironed out. Freaking Johnson was a -19 last night in 11 minutes of a game they won, yet Okafor can't get any run (I know he was hurt last night).

Been waiting for this game awhile tonight... Simmons vs Ball well worth staying up for this game

Totally agree! Actually took an old man nap for about an hour earlier today so I can watch it. I hope Simmons destroys Ball

Reactions: Nitwit
Been waiting for this game awhile tonight... Simmons vs Ball well worth staying up for this game

it's been a fun game so far.

Simmons is totally outplaying Ball. It's not even a contest. I think Ball is 1 for 8 in the 3rd period, and has 3 fouls.

Sixers are turning the ball over too often. Embiid has had some sloppy plays, especially when he dribbles the ball. His defense is still a work in progress. Too often, he goes for the initial move, and ends up taking himself out of position. That said, his offense has been very good tonight, and he's also got quite a few assists.

Covington has become an offensive force. I worry about his D. Redick is a good outside shooter, but his defense is a glorified ole defense.

Sixers up by 6 with just under 4 left in the 3rd. Embiid and Simmons are on the bench -- could be trouble for the Sixers. Embiid quickly returns for Holmes.

Lakers up 84-83 after 3. Sixers got sloppy toward the end of the 3rd.

Embiid has @ 12 rebounds, but the Lakers have 20+ offensive rebounds already. That's not a good stat for the Sixers

it's been a fun game so far.

Simmons is totally outplaying Ball. It's not even a contest. I think Ball is 1 for 8 in the 3rd period, and has 3 fouls.

Sixers are turning the ball over too often. Embiid has had some sloppy plays, especially when he dribbles the ball. His defense is still a work in progress. Too often, he goes for the initial move, and ends up taking himself out of position. That said, his offense has been very good tonight, and he's also got quite a few assists.

Covington has become an offensive force. I worry about his D. Redick is a good outside shooter, but his defense is a glorified ole defense.

Sixers up by 6 with just under 4 left in the 3rd. Embiid and Simmons are on the bench -- could be trouble for the Sixers. Embiid quickly returns for Holmes.

Beat LA! Thanks for the pick

Saric's offense seems to have left him. 3-11 overall, and 1-7 from behind the 3

Redick is 0-5 from behind the 3-line

Basically, it's the Embiid and Simmons show tonight.

Wow. I caught a bit of the first quarter and then the end. They are a different team with/without him. That was clear at the end of the game.
Man they need to focus on a competent backup. Johnson sucks. When Embiid goes out, so do the Sixers. It's a complete 180.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT