ADVERTISEMENT

Philadelphia 76ers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t expect a 27 point win. I was hoping for that 3rd quarter push. But I expected Miami to offer more resistance. Keep it rolling boys.

Former Sixers great Hal Greer dies

Hal Greer, a Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Famer and former Sixers great, has died, the team announced Monday.

Mr. Greer, 81, played 15 seasons (1958-73) in the NBA, five with the Syracuse Nationals and 10 with the Sixers. He won an NBA championship with the Sixers in 1967 and was a 10-time NBA All-Star.

Mr. Greer was the first player to have his number retired by the 76ers organization, as his No. 15 was honored in 1976.

The 76ers will celebrate Mr. Greer’s life and legacy at tonight’s game at the Wells Fargo Center.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...-obituary-naismith-hall-of-fame-20180416.html

Picture of betting slip or it didn’t happen
bets_zps69rsatft.jpg

And two bonus plays - Liverpool to win Champions League and Belgium to win world cup. As noted previously, I will likely hedge all 3 to ensure a profit.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Former Sixers great Hal Greer dies

Hal Greer, a Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Famer and former Sixers great, has died, the team announced Monday.

Mr. Greer, 81, played 15 seasons (1958-73) in the NBA, five with the Syracuse Nationals and 10 with the Sixers. He won an NBA championship with the Sixers in 1967 and was a 10-time NBA All-Star.

Mr. Greer was the first player to have his number retired by the 76ers organization, as his No. 15 was honored in 1976.

The 76ers will celebrate Mr. Greer’s life and legacy at tonight’s game at the Wells Fargo Center.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...-obituary-naismith-hall-of-fame-20180416.html

Truly a great jump shooter. I always enjoyed that he took his FTs as jump shots. He was one of my favorite Sixers from their 1st championship team.

It was painful that such a great player, and such a proud man, had to endure the '72-'73 Sixers in his last season. As I recall, they had a Hal Greer Appreciation Night late in the season, and he declined to play in the game.

He was one of my favorite Sixers from their 1st championship team.

The news of Greer's passing got me to thinking about the rest of the '66-'67 roster:

* Wilt - passed away in 1999
* Larry Costello - passed away in 2001
* Billy Cunningham - the Kangaroo Kid is still going strong, at the age of 74
- Dave Gambee - I haven't thought about him in years. It appears that he's still around, at the age of 81
- Matt Guokas - he's stil around, at the age of 74
- Lucious "Luke" Jackson - the quintessential PF. It appears that he's currently 76
- Wali "By Golly" Jones - he's still around, at the age of 76
- Billy Melchionni - he's still around, at the age of 73
- Chet "The Jet" Walker - he's still around, at the age of 78
- Bob Weiss - he's still around, at the age of 75 (will be 76 in a few weeks)

The news of Greer's passing got me to thinking about the rest of the '66-'67 roster:

* Wilt - passed away in 1999
* Larry Costello - passed away in 2001
* Billy Cunningham - the Kangaroo Kid is still going strong, at the age of 74
- Dave Gambee - I haven't thought about him in years. It appears that he's still around, at the age of 81
- Matt Guokas - he's stil around, at the age of 74
- Lucious "Luke" Jackson - the quintessential PF. It appears that he's currently 76
- Wali "By Golly" Jones - he's still around, at the age of 76
- Billy Melchionni - he's still around, at the age of 73
- Chet "The Jet" Walker - he's still around, at the age of 78
- Bob Weiss - he's still around, at the age of 75 (will be 76 in a few weeks)

Happy Birthday Dave Gambee!

Greer made me think today of some great NBA guards that you don’t think of - Dave Bing was an absolutely wonderful player and Jeff Mullins, a true sharp shooter.

On the bright side

Played god awful
Ton of turnovers
6-33 from 3
No Embiid
Wade had his best game in half a decade

Still had a chance to win with 2 minutes left

On the bright side

Played god awful
Ton of turnovers
6-33 from 3
No Embiid
Wade had his best game in half a decade

Still had a chance to win with 2 minutes left
Agree.....Sixers played like they were tired for most of the game....they were consistently beat on 50(/50 loose balls.....spacing was way off....Saric has not fully recovered from his infected elbow. Wondering when Embid is going to be ready?

Hate losing a home playoff game. Home court is lost. Thursday’s game is very important now for a young team coming off a bad loss.

Frustrating game. The 1st qtr was fine. The 2nd qtr was brutal. The 3rd qtr. was ok. The 4th qtr. looked like they were finally getting it going, and they cut the lead to 2 points. Alas, after that they were terrible on both ends of the floor.

The Heat did a nice job defending Simmons, and unlike Game 1, no other Sixer had a good game at the offensive end. Wade must have found the fountain of youth on Sunday -- been some time since I've seen him play that well.

Reactions: wbcincy
I actually agree with the "babying" they do. Always best to have the longest view. This team isn't ready to win a championship, no need to take chances with a players health.

Great 4th quarter, Embiid looked good in his return. No reason they don't win this in 5.

Reactions: jrs1024
Call me a skeptic. I’d love to see them win in 5, but the heat played that game about as close as could be through 3 quarters. They’re playing great defense and a bruising up the sixers something fierce. If the refs let calls go, they’re going to keep being in the game. It looked to me like in the third quarter, the refs clamped down to cut the dirty play out. They’re still letting a lot more go in this series than they are in other series, but what do I know? Tough team to play. I’m happy to come away with a win.

Call me a skeptic. I’d love to see them win in 5, but the heat played that game about as close as could be through 3 quarters. They’re playing great defense and a bruising up the sixers something fierce. If the refs let calls go, they’re going to keep being in the game. It looked to me like in the third quarter, the refs clamped down to cut the dirty play out. They’re still letting a lot more go in this series than they are in other series, but what do I know? Tough team to play. I’m happy to come away with a win.

I agree- that was incredibly tight until the 4th quarter. If the Sixers keep hitting those 3's, they are tough to beat. The game they didn't, they sucked.

I think the Heat are too old, and don't have the depth to keep up with Philly for 48 minutes. Even in the loss, Philly dominated the second half. They just couldn't get a shot to fall. Philly won't shoot under 20% from the three point line very often. And the refs can't continue to let Wade and other be thugs without the world noticing. The NBA might not want the Sixers to succeed because of their fear of "the process" becoming more common. So maybe the refs will allow the Heat to be extra physical. But Philly isn't exactly soft. They have some big dudes of their own who can bang with anyone.

The Big Man!

But mask or no mask, Embiid was a difference-maker, even if it was clear he was rusty and a little out of sorts after a long stint on the shelf. Miami’s attempts in the paint and near the rim had next to no shot of going in over his neverending limbs. Embiid had three blocks in 30 minutes, but he deterred many other shots from even being taken. The Heat scored 36 and 32 points in the paint in Games 1 and 2, respectively. In Game 3, they totaled 22 in the paint, and only six of those points came with Embiid on the court.

WireAP_6eaa1e6936844e1a918649486a36845e_12x5_992.jpg

Reactions: PrtLng Lion
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT