ADVERTISEMENT

1st NWCA Coaches Poll Released

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
they don't call it a preseason poll, but in essence that's what it is.

The top 5 are:

1. PSU
2. Ohio State
3. Iowa
4. Oklahoma State
5. Michigan

You can access the complete poll at THIS LINK

Reactions: diggerpup
I guess this is the start of the season....sooooo

glad spencer lee is working out in iowa......the difference between podium and the unemployment line

#maloneapproved
#letsgetiton

Reactions: amalone
Heinselman, Moore and Singletary could make that line-up look a bit tougher!

If history tells us anything, Ryan will burn Heinselman's shirt. He and Romero are in the same boat as our Freshmen, unranked now but probably ranked by January.

I tend to agree with Turk, I like Iowa's lineup better.

I am biased certainly, but I think Iowa is the #2 team. Penn State the clear #1
Ohio State wrestles the same conference schedule as PSU each year, part of the scheduling model for "rivalry" teams. Means Ohio State and Iowa won't meet this year, same as Iowa/PSU not meeting. Those duals would have been fun.

On paper, I'd pick tOSU over Iowa in a dual, though one bout could swing it to Iowa's favor. Tournament-wise, looks like tOSU too, but not by much, and will be affected dramatically by guys entering the line-up for the first time...so could change as the season progresses.

With all the unknowns, hard not to consider Iowa, tOSU, and Okie St as 2a, 2b, and 2c early.

Last edited:
Iowa is #2 with Lugo and Warner coming in. Solid lineup but far behind the boys in blue this year. Okie St is solid too but not convinced of any champs in their lineup. O$U has Martin as champ and maybe McKenna. Moore will run into Bo.

Thanks--I was out of the country and missed the tOSU wrestle-offs. I've now caught up and understand. tOSU hasn't done so well in Hwt recruits lately (Snyder wasn't really a Hwt recruit initially).

I think Iowa will out score tOSU in the dance, but a dual between the 2 with tan tom letting everyone compete would be epic.

125- Iowa 6 tOSU 0
133- Iowa 6 tOSU 3
141- Iowa 6 tOSU 6
149- Iowa 6 tOSU 9
157- Iowa 6 tOSU 12
165- Iowa 10 tOSU 12
174- Iowa 14 tOSU 12
184- Iowa 14 tOSU 16
197- Iowa 14 tOSU 19
285- Iowa 20 tOSU 19

Iowa is #2 with Lugo and Warner coming in. Solid lineup but far behind the boys in blue this year. Okie St is solid too but not convinced of any champs in their lineup. O$U has Martin as champ and maybe McKenna. Moore will run into Bo.
Bo tells me Sugar is going to let Martin take him down and then cradle him up from underneath for the fall. Just because that is what they (PSU kids) do.:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT