ADVERTISEMENT

18 PSU frat brothers charged with manslaughter...

Debauchery is a good word for most colleges today. The animals are running the show. You don't like something, just riot and get your way. Then put on a black mask and black clothes and burn your school down. Schools have become jungles being led by liberals that hate America or pansies that give in to their demands
5df8f8e761c2edfe3678b8a6deeb1b15.jpg

Nice to see a fellow frater in here. I was in TKE down in Tennessee-Chattanooga. I rushed as a 23 year old freshman after I got out of the military.

I was the president my last year and as an older brother I focused on grades, test files, IM sports, and relationships with other fraternities (because we did not have a house). A lot of brothers resented me because our goals were not aligned because I wasn't focused on the foolishness and "pranks" on other fraternities and encouraging massive consumption of alcohol. Two years later my VP at the time became the president and the chapter was kicked off campus for hazing, banned for five years, and to this day have never gained the support to return.

I talk to a few brothers, but for the most part I left that nonsense behind because of how it all ended and they way they conducted themselves. I joined with one goal in mind, but left campus completely disappointed with this brotherhood and the Greek organization.
I think our chapter was Nu Tau at Mansfield University. We had some pretty wild parties. I'm ancient, so we are talking circa 1969-72. MSU was about 19 miles from the NY border and legal drinking age was 18 there at the time. As a result, most of our big events were held in Elmira or Corning.....and there was a bar right on the border called Green Shingles. Looking back, it is amazing all my friends survived. Never lost a TKE brother, but students died in car accidents returning from drinking in NY.
As I stated earlier in the thread, I have no answers. Its very tragic.

Reactions: uscgPSU
You sound like a politician. A kid is dead and his supposed brothers did nothing to help him and let him die. So you blame the investigators??? SMH
Good point. This isn't about SPM or any other politician. At least, it shouldn't be.

Debauchery is a good word for most colleges today. The animals are running the show. You don't like something, just riot and get your way. Then put on a black mask and black clothes and burn your school down. Schools have become jungles being led by liberals that hate America or pansies that give in to their demands
I don't have enough exposure to what campuses are today....however things were pretty interesting in the late 60s and early 70s.

Reactions: mn78psu83
As with many things in criminal law, the consequences and even, often, the criminality of actions depend greatly on the damage or result of the actions. Drive drunk and get busted, but don't hurt anyone or cause any damage, and your penalty is going to be a lot less than if you caused an accident that killed someone. Your act in driving drunk, and your intent to not cause any harm is the same in both cases -- it is what resulted from your criminal act that leads to the widely different penalties.

Here, the frat and presumably many if not all of its members broke the law by buying alchohol and supplying it to persons under the age of 21. They did that knowingly. Pennsylvania also makes participation in hazing a misdeamnor. Many if not all of the members knew that as well as it is covered extensively in PSU Greek proceedings. Having elected to knowingly commit at least 2 misdeamnors the members then opened themselves up to all sorts of potential criminal reprocussions. Had nothing happened other than some guys got drunk, there would be no criminal reprocussions. Had someone called the police and the party was busted, the criminal reprocussions likely would be limited to minor-in-possession and maybe hazing and furnishing alchohol to minors chargeds. But, a pledge died. Now, the acts which previously would be fairly minor, are now serious because the damage is catastrophic -- a kid died. Now, members are charged with negligent homicide, a class A misdemeanor, and aggravated assualt, a felony.

Some kids are going to be more involved than others accordingly there will be different plea-bargain and sentencing options. Kids with prior offenses, including MIPs are going to see harsher sentences as well. And, yes, a conviction of negligent homicide, even though it is a misdeamnor, is going to have serious life-long reprocussions. Not many employers will want to bring on someone with a negligent homicide conviction. The potential liability that imposes on an employer makes that decision easy. There has to be a job candidate who was not responsible for killing someone while in college.

Last edited:
What's the logical extension of this. Next time someone dies after drinking at a PSU tailgate, maybe Stacey Parks Miller can criminally charge everybody at Beaver Stadium for contributing to the lawless atmosphere that lead to the death. I'm sure the manslaughter statute can be stretched as far as she wants to stretch it.
The same people who could die at a tailgate probably dodged plenty of bullets years ago when they were students. It is horrible that someone had to die but maybe the Greek system will take the hazing rituals seriously now.

There is blame all around. The kid was not forced to drink that heavily. He could have walked out or stopped.

The frat should have cut him off and should have had the sense to realize their every move was being recorded.

Just a lack of judgement all the way around and there are consequences for your actions. Kids seem to forget that these days. It sucks for the ones that had little to do with this but that's what it is.

I think you are minimizing the degree of peer pressure he was under to participate. Sure he could of walked out or refused to participate but his bid would have been rescinded and he would not become a member of the frat.

Reactions: no1lion99
You should all listen to President Barron's comments. Other than trying to educate, PSU has only one tool in their bag....take away recognition. ALL of the frats are private entities on private property. PSU cannot police them. They can require education and rules of frat to be filed, but that's all. If they violate the rules they submit to PSU to be recognized, they should be gone.

You sound like a politician. A kid is dead and his supposed brothers did nothing to help him and let him die. So you blame the investigators??? SMH

According to testimony and video it's worse than this. At least one brother thought they should call 911. He was assaulted and told he didn't know what he was talking about by other brothers and the house VP.

What's the logical extension of this. Next time someone dies after drinking at a PSU tailgate, maybe Stacey Parks Miller can criminally charge everybody at Beaver Stadium for contributing to the lawless atmosphere that lead to the death. I'm sure the manslaughter statute can be stretched as far as she wants to stretch it.

The problem with your ignorant theory is that the school and local law enforcement patrol the lots and provide emergency medical services. The frat actively prevented that from occurring. EDIT: IF the frat is having a sanctioned alcoholic event there is actually a procedure they agreed to for a third party independent vendor to control the alcohol intake.

According to testimony and video it's worse than this. At least one brother thought they should call 911. He was assaulted and told he didn't know what he was talking about by other brothers and the house VP.
They were able to construct a clear timeline of events from the video surveillance, corroborated by the eyewitness testimony of many people, including that from some who where charged. The sequence you refer to, concerning the young man Kordel Davis and his plea to fellow brothers for help, is compelling. And Davis was the brother who testified that during an event in December 2016 he had fallen down and was bleeding profusely enough from the head that some brothers took him to Urgent Care, although they did not call 911.

Last edited:
I confess that I dodged a few or more than a few in my lifetime.
We all probably have, but this was someone's son and it could have been anyone's child. We have all seen students and adults staggering back from games but this is serious stuff. I have friends who went to PSU with me and dodged more than a few bullets and now I see the same behavior from their kids. I am not advocating prohibition but controlling the hazing rituals would be a start. I realize that off campus parties can be worse(people falling off balconies) but the allure of the Greek system(let's face it is the parties) so it has to start somewhere.

We all probably have, but this was someone's son and it could have been anyone's child. We have all seen students and adults staggering back from games but this is serious stuff. I have friends who went to PSU with me and dodged more than a few bullets and now I see the same behavior from their kids. I am not advocating prohibition but controlling the hazing rituals would be a start. I realize that off campus parties can be worse(people falling off balconies) but the allure of the Greek system(let's face it is the parties) so it has to start somewhere.
Agree. Seeing those parents was heart breaking. I think and hope most of us can agree that hazing should be done away with.

Nice to see a fellow frater in here. I was in TKE down in Tennessee-Chattanooga. I rushed as a 23 year old freshman after I got out of the military.

I was the president my last year and as an older brother I focused on grades, test files, IM sports, and relationships with other fraternities (because we did not have a house). A lot of brothers resented me because our goals were not aligned because I wasn't focused on the foolishness and "pranks" on other fraternities and encouraging massive consumption of alcohol. Two years later my VP at the time became the president and the chapter was kicked off campus for hazing, banned for five years, and to this day have never gained the support to return.

I talk to a few brothers, but for the most part I left that nonsense behind because of how it all ended and they way they conducted themselves. I joined with one goal in mind, but left campus completely disappointed with this brotherhood and the Greek organization.
Wasn't Mr. Belding from Saved by the Bell a TKE at UTC?

You should all listen to President Barron's comments. Other than trying to educate, PSU has only one tool in their bag....take away recognition. ALL of the frats are private entities on private property. PSU cannot police them. They can require education and rules of frat to be filed, but that's all. If they violate the rules they submit to PSU to be recognized, they should be gone.

And then PSU has ZERO control over the private organization on private property.

I confess that I dodged a few or more than a few in my lifetime.

it is hard for me to read about these tragic deaths, knowing full well that "there but for the grace of God go I . . ."

happy to be sober now for over 16 years. but jeez, I've fallen down my share of stairs when drinking. I've passed out weird places. I was always left to "sleep it off"

not defending or justifying anyone's actions, just sayin . . .

I think it's appropriate that the people responsible are held accountable. What I don't get is why the university thinks it should go after frats that had nothing to do with it.

If I rob a bank, should my friends and neighbors be charged too?
If your friends and neighbor's are also robbing banks, yes.

The University isn't "going after" frats that had nothing to do with it. They're putting rules in place to try to prevent this from happening again, while balancing the social aspects of the fraternities. The fraternity in question had its recognition removed. No other "innocent" fraternity was subject to the same punishment. So, they are not being treated the same as the offending fraternity.

It seems to boil down to this: those upset at the university and now the DA seem to think that excessive drinking and hazing is fine, and boys will be boys, and everyone did it back in the day and we turned out OK, so why punish these poor boys who did nothing wrong other than get completely wasted, help one of their pledges get completely wasted, and refuse to get said pledge help when he injured himself. Oh yeah, the pledge died due to both their actions and/or inactions. But that shouldn't ruin these boys futures.

The DUI example is a good one. A DUI charge is less severe than if you kill someone while DUI. You choose to drive while intoxicated, you're rolling the dice. These boys rolled the dice and lost.

And I'm calling them "boys" but let's be real... they're adults. You can argue our drinking laws that consider them underage don't make sense, but they're legal adults who made bad choices.

If fraternities are ONLY about parties and getting wasted, then what's the point? I never understood the party culture, and I think it was a hell of a lot more prevalent when I went to school than it is now. I enjoy having a few drinks and relaxing. But I've only been really wasted a few times in my life and have no desire to repeat that. The experience was not worth the fallout the next day. If that makes me a prude, so be it. These people that feel it's an "integral part of the college experience" to get wasted every weekend... I just don't get it. How did that prepare you for your career, add to your knowledge, and to be a productive member of society? Isn't that the point of college?

Thanks, great research. Looks like would only protect the actual person who called 911, and only under very narrow circumstances, and it wouldn't prevent the police from arresting everybody else and doing a full criminal investigation into who obtained the alcohol for the party. Still, it's a well intended law.

No. It would protect everyone. IF the kid lived there would not be any manslaughter charges and the most serious charges would have been prevented.

The worst case scenario is they would have had the same charges. THe best case scenario is they would have had no charges. It could have been somewhere in between but there was no downside in this case.

it is hard for me to read about these tragic deaths, knowing full well that "there but for the grace of God go I . . ."

happy to be sober now for over 16 years. but jeez, I've fallen down my share of stairs when drinking. I've passed out weird places. I was always left to "sleep it off"

not defending or justifying anyone's actions, just sayin . . .
I hear you loud and clear. There is that understanding we acquire through our own life experience that tempers our judgement of others. This was a tragic event. It is now a legal matter.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
If your friends and neighbor's are also robbing banks, yes.

The University isn't "going after" frats that had nothing to do with it. They're putting rules in place to try to prevent this from happening again, while balancing the social aspects of the fraternities. The fraternity in question had its recognition removed. No other "innocent" fraternity was subject to the same punishment. So, they are not being treated the same as the offending fraternity.

It seems to boil down to this: those upset at the university and now the DA seem to think that excessive drinking and hazing is fine, and boys will be boys, and everyone did it back in the day and we turned out OK, so why punish these poor boys who did nothing wrong other than get completely wasted, help one of their pledges get completely wasted, and refuse to get said pledge help when he injured himself. Oh yeah, the pledge died due to both their actions and/or inactions. But that shouldn't ruin these boys futures.

The DUI example is a good one. A DUI charge is less severe than if you kill someone while DUI. You choose to drive while intoxicated, you're rolling the dice. These boys rolled the dice and lost.

And I'm calling them "boys" but let's be real... they're adults. You can argue our drinking laws that consider them underage don't make sense, but they're legal adults who made bad choices.

If fraternities are ONLY about parties and getting wasted, then what's the point? I never understood the party culture, and I think it was a hell of a lot more prevalent when I went to school than it is now. I enjoy having a few drinks and relaxing. But I've only been really wasted a few times in my life and have no desire to repeat that. The experience was not worth the fallout the next day. If that makes me a prude, so be it. These people that feel it's an "integral part of the college experience" to get wasted every weekend... I just don't get it. How did that prepare you for your career, add to your knowledge, and to be a productive member of society? Isn't that the point of college?
And the same people were angry when restrictions were put in place to limit the amount of unhealthy drinking that occurs at University-chartered fraternities. Honestly the people who look at the University response as an unfair punishment are the reason that response is necessary, and why the Greek system might ultimately be doomed. When you can't make the connections and understand why the destructive behavior that occurs every weekend was the cause of a death, that's the real problem. They're not motivated to police themselves when they don't think it's a big deal.

No. It would protect everyone. IF the kid lived there would not be any manslaughter charges and the most serious charges would have been prevented.

The worst case scenario is they would have had the same charges. THe best case scenario is they would have had no charges. It could have been somewhere in between but there was no downside in this case.

No it wouldn't protect "everyone" in the situation. It very clearly only protects the underage person who makes the call:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/18/00.063.008.000..HTM

(f) Exception for person seeking medical attention for another.--A person shall be immune from prosecution for consumption or possession under subsection (a) if he can establish the following:

(1) The only way law enforcement officers became aware of the person's violation of subsection (a) is because the person placed a 911 call, or a call to campus safety, police or emergency services, in good faith, based on a reasonable belief and reported that another person was in need of immediate medical attention to prevent death or serious injury.

(2) The person reasonably believed he was the first person to make a 911 call or a call to campus safety, police or emergency services, and report that a person needed immediate medical attention to prevent death or serious injury.

(3) The person provided his own name to the 911 operator or equivalent campus safety, police or emergency officer.

(4) The person remained with the person needing medical assistance until emergency health care providers arrived and the need for his presence had ended.

This refers to subsection (a):

§ 6308. Purchase, consumption, possession or transportation of liquor or malt or brewed beverages.
(a) Offense defined.--A person commits a summary offense if he, being less than 21 years of age, attempts to purchase, purchases, consumes, possesses or knowingly and intentionally transports any liquor or malt or brewed beverages, as defined in section 6310.6 (relating to definitions). For the purposes of this section, it shall not be a defense that the liquor or malt or brewed beverage was consumed in a jurisdiction other than the jurisdiction where the citation for underage drinking was issued.

The people who were of age would still be charged with furnishing, and would likely still be liable for the injuries caused to Piazza (laymans view).

I think our chapter was Nu Tau at Mansfield University. We had some pretty wild parties. I'm ancient, so we are talking circa 1969-72. MSU was about 19 miles from the NY border and legal drinking age was 18 there at the time. As a result, most of our big events were held in Elmira or Corning.....and there was a bar right on the border called Green Shingles. Looking back, it is amazing all my friends survived. Never lost a TKE brother, but students died in car accidents returning from drinking in NY.
As I stated earlier in the thread, I have no answers. Its very tragic.

The Green Shingles Inn is still there! At least it was when they opened the new I-99 expansion to the state line a few years back ... i am pretty sure it's still open

I believe in self accountability but if the kid died of an OxyContin OD after a brother gave him a bunch of pills, does the person who gave it to him not have any responsibility? I know where I'd stand if it was my kid.

And in your example, those things happened in an instant. Anytime somebody is completely unresponsive, and you do nothing to get him medical treatment, you always run the risk that they won't wake up.

An adult knows this. A bunch of scared ass kids don't. But legally they are still adults and are going to have to face the consequences.
There don't seem to be very many "adults" commenting on this situation. I am absolutely amazed at the callous views shown here.

This situation is reprehensible. The frat brothers are in more trouble now than if they got the kid some help and were fined for providing alcohol. I don't blame the parents for being angry at all. Everybody shares responsibility for the drinking, the kid included but the failure to get him some help when it was clear that at least one person felt he needed medical attention is disgusting.

If Tim Bream was in the house st the time and is an advisor to the frat--is it. It his job to check on the party occasionally to Mae sure everything is copacetic??

I realize he's not in trouble right now but if I were Sandy Barbour I would be less than pleased with him in this situation provided there isn't more to his story.

[QUOTE="...
If you could bring back the Founding Fathers today, I would bet they would agree it is cruel and unusual punishment to essentially take away a kid's educational future and their intended career for the crime of drinking beer before they turn 21 -- or smoking a joint with their friends. But that is what we do in the United States every single day.[/QUOTE]

One of the Founding Fathers, a guy from Philly if I recall correctly, once said, "Experience teaches a dear school but a fool will learn in no other".

The sad fact that everybody's doing "it" and, in the specific case of weekend social binge drinking, has pretty much always done it -- does not make "it" in any way good, or right, or sensible.

In this case it appears some life-inexperienced young fools may be about to attend a very dear school. So be it. Depending upon the outcome, maybe others will take notice and learn. Hopefully they do, but there's no way to ever know that answer with certainty and history doesn't provide much in the way of grounds for optimism.

Last edited:
No it wouldn't protect "everyone" in the situation. It very clearly only protects the underage person who makes the call:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/18/00.063.008.000..HTM

This refers to subsection (a):

The people who were of age would still be charged with furnishing, and would likely still be liable for the injuries caused to Piazza (laymans view).

Your point is flawed and you are obviously missing the point. NOT calling 911 did not protect ANYONE. As is they are charged with manslaughter, furnishing alcohol, hazing and hundred other charges . If they called 911 the kid might have lived. Give us the downside! Tell us the upside of NOT calling 911. They were STILL charged AND by not calling the kid died which ADDED MORE SERIOUS charges.

Reactions: KSLion
Difference was there was a video of the whole incident for the grand jury to watch vs. 10 year old vague recollections.
Yeah - and corroboration from many eyewitnesses, including some who were charged.

What a mess. Underage (and overage) drinking is a big problem, but I'm not sure how this solves it.

The criminal justice system just gets harsher and harsher every year and college drinking just gets more and more severe. If you keep adding more of the same input, why do people think the output will change?

I just can't see holding everybody at the party criminally responsible. It's too harsh -- and yes, they have a good chance of beating it at trial, but that defense is going to cost those parents $20,000 apiece, maybe more. It's punishing entire families.

Anyway, bully for Stacey Parks Miller. Now we can build a few more prisons to hold all the college students who will be convicted of felonies every time a drunk kid falls down stairs.

WHAT THE Fu#$$%^^! These idiots killed someone. Would make them drink alcohol and walk down Pollock Road naked. Having jto drink shots every 5 steps until they puke or die. They wanted this kid to become a BROTHER: bullshit. You DO NOT Kill your brother. Ask Cain!

Unfortunately, when you have an overzealous local police force and District Attorney's Office that plays hardball with low-level alcohol offenses, college kids are going to do a cost-benefit analysis. Call 911 and risk getting your house and brothers in legal trouble, or ride it out and assume the kid will be fine like most situations. Sadly, this case involved vastly different circumstances (fall down steps, visible sternum bruising, unresponsiveness to stimuli, etc), but more of an effort should be made to encourage reporting with some sort of amnesty in mind. They have an immunity law for those that report drug overdoses, it should be extended to include alcohol poisoning.

Reactions: jerseylion109
I just think using the criminal justice system to essentially do social work is generally a bad idea. It's using a sledge hammer to try to do surgery -- you get a bloody mess.

Prosecutors justify it as deterrence -- i.e. next generation's teenagers won't use alcohol because they've seen the horrific lifetime consequences of getting an alcohol violation on one's record. But it just doesn't work. Teenagers don't make decisions that way, they make decisions in the moment and their decision are mostly steered by what feels good and what their friends are doing.

You want to do social work, hire social workers. Social workers are a LOT cheaper and probably more effective than judges, lawyers and prisons for certain kinds of problems.

If your goal is to try to discourage teenagers from drinking or using drugs, throwing people in jail and making them basically unemployable for the rest of their lives... it's barbaric. It's the modern day equivalent of chopping someone's hand off for stealing. People still steal, but you have a whole lot of folks not able to work because they're missing hands.

If you could bring back the Founding Fathers today, I would bet they would agree it is cruel and unusual punishment to essentially take away a kid's educational future and their intended career for the crime of drinking beer before they turn 21 -- or smoking a joint with their friends. But that is what we do in the United States every single day.

Great point made here. On another front with the same issues the prescription drug industry used to be governed by the FDA (as I remember) and now has the DEA, a police force, governing them. The difference is a science based organization which has an understanding of the operation and use of the drugs vs a police force that uses a sledge hammer to drive the direction and compliance of the industry and the end users. As someone who is directly impacted by this change I can state it is abysmal when you have this set up, no grasp of the drugs but ultimate power to control use thus penalizing patients and causing grief and suffering.

Forcing police action on areas where it is not justified or well informed at best is a recipe for disaster and destroyed lives.

Unfortunately, when you have an overzealous local police force and District Attorney's Office that plays hardball with low-level alcohol offenses, college kids are going to do a cost-benefit analysis. Call 911 and risk getting your house and brothers in legal trouble, or ride it out and assume the kid will be fine like most situations. Sadly, this case involved vastly different circumstances (fall down steps, visible sternum bruising, unresponsiveness to stimuli, etc), but more of an effort should be made to encourage reporting with some sort of amnesty in mind. They have an immunity law for those that report drug overdoses, it should be extended to include alcohol poisoning.

I think it is time to reevaluate our approach to college age drinking as a society. The prohibition model is not working. Driving it underground contributes to tragedies like this. Is there any evidence that cracking down on underage drinking among college students has reduced binge drinking or fatalities and assaults associated with binge drinking?

Just to be clear this was not a simple case of underage drinking gone wrong. The elements of hazing and wanton disregard for the well being of Tim Piazza once he was injured elevate this into a criminal case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT