ADVERTISEMENT

18 PSU frat brothers charged with manslaughter...

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
http://www.philly.com/philly/education/Students-charged-with-manslaughter-in-PSU-frat-death.html

BELLEFONTE, Pa. – Eighteen Penn State students and their fraternity were charged Friday in one of the largest hazing prosecutions in the nation’s history.

SLIDESHOW

Students charged with manslaughter in Penn State frat death
Eight of the students face involuntary manslaughter charges in connection with the death of 19-year-old Tim Piazza, who suffered fatal injuries when he fell down a set of stairs during a Beta Theta Pi fraternity pledge party earlier this year.

Centre County District Attorney Stacy Parks Miller announced the sweeping case at a press conference in Bellefonte. Flanked by Piazza’s parents and blown-up portrait of the sophomore engineering major, she accused fraternity members of putting Piazza through a dangerous booze-fueled hazing ritual and failing to call for help once he had injured himself.

“It’s heart-breaking all around,” she said. “There are no winners here.”

With his arm wrapped around his wife, Piazza’s father, Jim, choked back tears.

“This did not have to happen,” he said.

The charges unveiled Friday was the result of a months-long grand jury investigation. The panel’s blistering presentment described a ritual known as “the gauntlet” in which pledges were required to stop at various alcohol stations, where they guzzled vodka, shotgunned beers, drank from wine bags and played multiple rounds of beer pong.

One fraternity member told the grand jury that pledges drank four to five alcoholic beverages within a two-minute time span.

Those charged with misdemeanor counts of involuntary manslaughter included Brendan Young, president of the Beta Theta Pi chapter at Penn State, as well as fellow fraternity members Daniel Casey, Jonah Neuman, Nick Kubera, Michael Bonatucci, Gary Dibileo, Luke Visser and Joe Sala.

Each also faces felony charges of aggravated assault which could result in prison terms if they are convicted. They are expected to be arraigned later Friday in Centre County Court

In addition, ten other student members of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity face lesser charges including hazing and furnishing alcohol to minors.

Piazza, a sophomore engineering major from Lebanon, N.J., was intoxicated at the Feb. 2 pledge party when he fell multiple times and was knocked unconscious, the district attorney said.

Members of the fraternity moved him to a couch but did not call for emergency help until the next morning, about 12 hours later. Piazza died the next day at Hershey Medical Center, having suffered a non-recoverable head injury, ruptured spleen and collapsed lung.

Defense attorneys for the students have said previously that fraternity members did not know Piazza was in danger but rather thought he was just drunk and would sleep it off.

But Parks Miller lambasted that argument Friday, saying that video taken from the fraternity house’s extensive security system disproved those claims. For in

“It’s unusual to have a crime captured from beginning to end,” she said.

The charges were announced hours before Penn State's board of trustees were scheduled to meet and as commencement festivities were getting underway at the 46,000-student University Park campus.

The university, having conducted its own investigation, permanently banned Beta Theta Pi earlier this spring, citing evidence of forced drinking, hazing and other illegal activity. The university also instituted new rules for the rest of its 83 fraternities and sororities, whose members represent about 18 percent of the student body.

In a statement Friday, the university’s Interfraternity Council pledged it was committed to reforms that would prevent similar deaths in the future.

“Our thoughts continue to lie with the Piazza family as the justice process moves forward,” the statement read. “The best way to shift culture is for students, alumni, and the university to work together.”

No charges were filed against Tim Bream, 56, a Penn State assistant athletic director and head trainer for the football team who also lived in the Beta Theta Pi house. Bream was employed by the fraternity as an adviser.

Parks Miller said Friday that Bream was in his room at the fraternity house on the night of Piazza’s death, but the investigation did not reveal any evidence that would result in charges.

Hazing and excessive drinking at fraternities and sororities has long plagued colleges and universities, at times resulting in similar prosecutions.

Five years ago, a fraternity pledge ritual involving alcohol resulted in the death of a student at Northern Illinois University. Prosecutors charged 22 fraternity members, including five Pi Kappa Alpha leaders who pleaded guilty to reckless conduct and were sentenced to various terms of probation and community service.

Two years ago, prosecutors charged 37 members of the Pi Delta Psi fraternity at Baruch College in New York in the hazing death of 19-year-old freshman Chun Hsien "Michael" Deng. The case included third-degree murder charges against five current and former members.

Read more by Susan Snyder

What a mess. Underage (and overage) drinking is a big problem, but I'm not sure how this solves it.

The criminal justice system just gets harsher and harsher every year and college drinking just gets more and more severe. If you keep adding more of the same input, why do people think the output will change?

I just can't see holding everybody at the party criminally responsible. It's too harsh -- and yes, they have a good chance of beating it at trial, but that defense is going to cost those parents $20,000 apiece, maybe more. It's punishing entire families.

Anyway, bully for Stacey Parks Miller. Now we can build a few more prisons to hold all the college students who will be convicted of felonies every time a drunk kid falls down stairs.

What's the logical extension of this. Next time someone dies after drinking at a PSU tailgate, maybe Stacey Parks Miller can criminally charge everybody at Beaver Stadium for contributing to the lawless atmosphere that lead to the death. I'm sure the manslaughter statute can be stretched as far as she wants to stretch it.

Actually only 8 charged with misdemeanor involuntary manslaughter.

From your article:

Those charged with misdemeanor counts of involuntary manslaughter included Brendan Young, president of the Beta Theta Pi chapter at Penn State, as well as fellow fraternity members Daniel Casey, Jonah Neuman, Nick Kubera, Michael Bonatucci, Gary Dibileo, Luke Visser and Joe Sala.

Each also faces felony charges of aggravated assault which could result in prison terms if they are convicted. They are expected to be arraigned later Friday in Centre County Court

In addition, ten other student members of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity face lesser charges including hazing and furnishing alcohol to minors.

Reactions: fairgambit
Don't be surprised if a few come forward to testify against others. That is why you charge everyone, so the silence & cover-up stops (if there is any).

Sadley, this isn't all that unusual. The courts have plenty of cases that are, at core, based on underage drinking. Many are possession. Some are manslaughter based on a drunk driving accident. They just don't get the individual press.

Locally, about 25 high school kids just got wrung up. They were from a very prominent high school and having a graduation party. Several lost scholarships because now, they have a misdemeanor on their records. I know one kid that will have to borrow six figures for four years of school, who had a full ride. The judge brought them up, one by one, and told them how much they just cost their parents.

This was a simple graduation party, parents out of the country, where someone brought a few cases of wine. neighbors called the cops.

I understand civil suits in cases like this. I can only imagine the incredible grief of the parents. Does making criminals out of college age young men represent the appropriate answer here? I'm a real old timer and a TKE in college........this easily could have happened more times than I care to count. Young people are going to do foolish things and even the victim (s) should assume some of the risk. Not claiming to have any answers. I also just don't like prosecutors anymore. SPM is a snake in the grass IMO.

Oh great, this is going to be awesome for public perception - first being labeled pedo enablers and now this. WTF???

http://www.philly.com/philly/education/Students-charged-with-manslaughter-in-PSU-frat-death.html

BELLEFONTE, Pa. – Eighteen Penn State students and their fraternity were charged Friday in one of the largest hazing prosecutions in the nation’s history.

SLIDESHOW

Students charged with manslaughter in Penn State frat death
Eight of the students face involuntary manslaughter charges in connection with the death of 19-year-old Tim Piazza, who suffered fatal injuries when he fell down a set of stairs during a Beta Theta Pi fraternity pledge party earlier this year.

Centre County District Attorney Stacy Parks Miller announced the sweeping case at a press conference in Bellefonte. Flanked by Piazza’s parents and blown-up portrait of the sophomore engineering major, she accused fraternity members of putting Piazza through a dangerous booze-fueled hazing ritual and failing to call for help once he had injured himself.

“It’s heart-breaking all around,” she said. “There are no winners here.”

With his arm wrapped around his wife, Piazza’s father, Jim, choked back tears.

“This did not have to happen,” he said.

The charges unveiled Friday was the result of a months-long grand jury investigation. The panel’s blistering presentment described a ritual known as “the gauntlet” in which pledges were required to stop at various alcohol stations, where they guzzled vodka, shotgunned beers, drank from wine bags and played multiple rounds of beer pong.

One fraternity member told the grand jury that pledges drank four to five alcoholic beverages within a two-minute time span.

Piazza, a sophomore engineering major from Lebanon, N.J., was intoxicated at the Feb. 2 pledge party when he fell multiple times and was knocked unconscious, the district attorney said.

Members of the fraternity moved him to a couch but did not call for emergency help until the next morning, about 12 hours later. Piazza died the next day at Hershey Medical Center, having suffered a non-recoverable head injury, ruptured spleen and collapsed lung.

Defense attorneys for the students have said previously that fraternity members did not know Piazza was in danger but rather thought he was just drunk and would sleep it off.

But Parks Miller lambasted that argument Friday, saying that video taken from the fraternity house’s extensive security system disproved those claims. For in

“It’s unusual to have a crime captured from beginning to end,” she said.

The charges were announced hours before Penn State's board of trustees were scheduled to meet and as commencement festivities were getting underway at the 46,000-student University Park campus.

The university, having conducted its own investigation, permanently banned Beta Theta Pi earlier this spring, citing evidence of forced drinking, hazing and other illegal activity. The university also instituted new rules for the rest of its 83 fraternities and sororities, whose members represent about 18 percent of the student body.

In a statement Friday, the university’s Interfraternity Council pledged it was committed to reforms that would prevent similar deaths in the future.

“Our thoughts continue to lie with the Piazza family as the justice process moves forward,” the statement read. “The best way to shift culture is for students, alumni, and the university to work together.”

No charges were filed against Tim Bream, 56, a Penn State assistant athletic director and head trainer for the football team who also lived in the Beta Theta Pi house. Bream was employed by the fraternity as an adviser.

Parks Miller said Friday that Bream was in his room at the fraternity house on the night of Piazza’s death, but the investigation did not reveal any evidence that would result in charges.

Hazing and excessive drinking at fraternities and sororities has long plagued colleges and universities, at times resulting in similar prosecutions.

Five years ago, a fraternity pledge ritual involving alcohol resulted in the death of a student at Northern Illinois University. Prosecutors charged 22 fraternity members, including five Pi Kappa Alpha leaders who pleaded guilty to reckless conduct and were sentenced to various terms of probation and community service.

Two years ago, prosecutors charged 37 members of the Pi Delta Psi fraternity at Baruch College in New York in the hazing death of 19-year-old freshman Chun Hsien "Michael" Deng. The case included third-degree murder charges against five current and former members.

Read more by Susan Snyder

Stacy Parks Miller is a wickedly, evil person.

This was a simple graduation party, parents out of the country, where someone brought a few cases of wine. neighbors called the cops.

High schoolers partying with cases of wine? Wine? This can't be all there was to it. Link?

I am amazed at most of these comments.

I recognize that the presentment does not represent truth only the Commonwealth's assertions. Read the presentment and tell me that, if true, the facts alleged and on video tape do not represent criminal negligence. They let this kid bleed to death internally because they were too drunk, stupid and self absorbed with their own liability. They refused the request of one of their own brothers to call 911. They had an adult adviser in the house and didn't consult him. Bottom line is when you are over 18 and you let someone who you forced into gross intoxication bleed to death, you deserve some jail time.

High schoolers partying with cases of wine? Wine? This can't be all there was to it. Link?

my wife sees this all the time. She does some work as a civil defendant. These kids got lined up...on one side was the kids that were drinking, the other side kids in attendance not actually drinking. They processed them and every single one got charged.

Two years ago, my wife defended a gal in her second year as a nursing student; 3.2 GPA. Her boyfriend called her to come to a party. when she got there, they said the front door was broken so she had to crawl through a first floor window. A couple of guys and gals were there. They had some MJ, Beer and wine. She was 20 at the time. turns out the house was abandoned but the owners drove by and called the cops. she got wrung up on possession, booze and breaking and entering. The B&A and possession charges are felonies. My wife pleaded with the DA because felonies would get her tossed out of school and, for the most part, unemployable. She ended up pleading out to several low end charges that came with fines and got a diversionary program with the charges expunged if she was clean for a year. But she had to testify against her boyfriend.

It's just a sad situation all around. You just hope at this point that fraternities are going to think twice before using alcohol in any kind of hazing rituals.

Unfortunately, I think it's only a matter of time before fraternities disappear altogether. The insurance companies will see to that.

the frats should probably just separate themselves from the school and function as their own groups.

my wife sees this all the time. She does some work as a civil defendant. These kids got lined up...on one side was the kids that were drinking, the other side kids in attendance not actually drinking. They processed them and every single one got charged.

Two years ago, my wife defended a gal in her second year as a nursing student; 3.2 GPA. Her boyfriend called her to come to a party. when she got there, they said the front door was broken so she had to crawl through a first floor window. A couple of guys and gals were there. They had some MJ, Beer and wine. She was 20 at the time. turns out the house was abandoned but the owners drove by and called the cops. she got wrung up on possession, booze and breaking and entering. The B&A and possession charges are felonies. My wife pleaded with the DA because felonies would get her tossed out of school and, for the most part, unemployable. She ended up pleading out to several low end charges that came with fines and got a diversionary program with the charges expunged if she was clean for a year. But she had to testify against her boyfriend.
Do felonies really get you tossed out of school?
And for that matter, do misdemeanors disqualify you for scholarships?
I know I had underage possession May of my senior year in HS, and I got scholarships to go to PSU in the 80's
How would the colleges/scholarship givers find out?

Stacy Parks Miller is a wickedly, evil person.
Evil is probably an exaggeration, but she does overcharge and way too enthusiastically go after people who aren't criminals or bad people in any way, but just had a situation unintentionally blow up in their face. In this case those frat members did nothing different than thousands of others over many years and had no evil intent.

Reactions: psu2016
I just think using the criminal justice system to essentially do social work is generally a bad idea. It's using a sledge hammer to try to do surgery -- you get a bloody mess.

Prosecutors justify it as deterrence -- i.e. next generation's teenagers won't use alcohol because they've seen the horrific lifetime consequences of getting an alcohol violation on one's record. But it just doesn't work. Teenagers don't make decisions that way, they make decisions in the moment and their decision are mostly steered by what feels good and what their friends are doing.

You want to do social work, hire social workers. Social workers are a LOT cheaper and probably more effective than judges, lawyers and prisons for certain kinds of problems.

If your goal is to try to discourage teenagers from drinking or using drugs, throwing people in jail and making them basically unemployable for the rest of their lives... it's barbaric. It's the modern day equivalent of chopping someone's hand off for stealing. People still steal, but you have a whole lot of folks not able to work because they're missing hands.

If you could bring back the Founding Fathers today, I would bet they would agree it is cruel and unusual punishment to essentially take away a kid's educational future and their intended career for the crime of drinking beer before they turn 21 -- or smoking a joint with their friends. But that is what we do in the United States every single day.

Last edited:
Don't be surprised if a few come forward to testify against others. That is why you charge everyone, so the silence & cover-up stops (if there is any).

Which is why some of the charges are probably bogus.

Evil is probably an exaggeration, but she does overcharge and way too enthusiastically go after people who aren't criminals or bad people in any way, but just had a situation unintentionally blow up in their face. In this case those frat members did nothing different than thousands of others over many years and had no evil intent.

She's typical. Prosecutors get elected by sensationalizing crime and putting as many pelts on their wall as they can get. Prosecutors never have to balance overprosecution against the costs - it's always someone else paying the costs. This case will cost many, many millions, it will ruin the futures of everybody at that party, it will bankrupt a half dozen families as they desperately try to save their kids.

And it won't do a single thing to prevent underage drinking at Penn State.

Beer will continue to flow like it always has, and drunk students will occasionally fall down steps and die.

And Parks Miller will run for higher office.

Not really. Nothing different except for the dead pledge. That chapter is filled with morons.

Reactions: Cpeplion
She's typical. Prosecutors get elected by sensationalizing crime and putting as many pelts on their wall as they can get. Prosecutors never have to balance overprosecution against the costs - it's always someone else paying the costs. This case will cost many, many millions, it will ruin the futures of everybody at that party, it will bankrupt a half dozen families as they desperately try to save their kids.

And it won't do a single thing to prevent underage drinking at Penn State.

Beer will continue to flow like it always has, and drunk students will occasionally fall down steps and die.

And Parks Miller will run for higher office.

Like you said, "She's typical..."

What is not typical is the dead pledge. The chapter deserves whatever punishment they get.

Why is Bream a 56 yr old man living at a Frat? I was in a frat in Chiro college and our advisor lived elsewhere. Just odd to me

This stuck out to me as well as being really weird... the dude is less than 10 years away from retirement.. really odd

This is really sad for all involved. I truely feel for his family, but, what happened to self accountability? Why is it always someone else's fault these days?

In the mid to late 90's, when I attended, I remember at least 2 deaths from guys falling off of balconys off campus while drinking at partys. Does this mean that everyone that was at those parties would be arrested by today's standards?

its different because he was pledging...just idiot for this fraternity to essentially haze on bid night...dumb dumb dumb

There is blame all around. The kid was not forced to drink that heavily. He could have walked out or stopped.

The frat should have cut him off and should have had the sense to realize their every move was being recorded.

Just a lack of judgement all the way around and there are consequences for your actions. Kids seem to forget that these days. It sucks for the ones that had little to do with this but that's what it is.

Sadley, this isn't all that unusual. The courts have plenty of cases that are, at core, based on underage drinking. Many are possession. Some are manslaughter based on a drunk driving accident. They just don't get the individual press.

Locally, about 25 high school kids just got wrung up. They were from a very prominent high school and having a graduation party. Several lost scholarships because now, they have a misdemeanor on their records. I know one kid that will have to borrow six figures for four years of school, who had a full ride. The judge brought them up, one by one, and told them how much they just cost their parents.

either you left out some details, or they didn't get misdemeanors. Underage drinking hy itself is a summary offense, unless they tack on something else like having a false ID, etc.

For those of you defending the fraternity brothers, how would you feel if this was your son. Some of these comments are ridiculous. Maybe I'm in the minority thinking accountability isn't a bad thing.

Accountability is a good thing, for sure. But I think "how would you feel if it was your son who died" is a terrible question to ask. First of all, none of us hopefully well EVER know even remotely what it is like. Secondly -- why should we assume they want vengeance through the legal system, or that vengeance is the best thing for them. Or that they can even know what they want right now. Asking the parents of the dead son for much of anything right now is really unfair to them given what they're going through. I doubt these people will even be able to think logically for years, if ever. The pain is just inconceivable.

If it were my son, yeah, maybe I would want to see the fraternity brothers put before a firing squad, so ruining their lives (and bankrupting their families) with 700 criminal charges -- maybe that would make me feel better, but I doubt it. Maybe I would want to forgive them (but I doubt that too). Most likely I would just want to jump off a bridge. Surviving each day would be extremely difficult.

Anyway I think the mixing of bereavement into the criminal justice system is a dangerous thing. I know it is the cool thing to do and prosecutors/politicians love to bring bereaved people to their press conferences and use them for stage props.

Also -- I can't believe I'm defending frat brothers here, but I'm not sure how 700 criminal charges helps save lives in the future, which really should be the goal here.

It's like throwing a group of junkies in an abandoned house into prison because one of them OD'd and they were all too high (or afraid of police) to call 911.

If this is about saving future lives, if you really want to save the life of some kind who got drunk and hit his head at a party, then the practice of arresting everybody at the party is going to produce the opposite of what you want. If you need people to call 911 and get someone medical attention, you can't be arresting everybody (including the injured person) for underage drinking, removing them from college and ruining their chance at future careers.

As a society we are starting to realize this about junkies. Some states no longer arrest junkies as standard practice and encourage them to call 911 when someone ODs so that they can get medical attention. Maybe frat boys deserve the same kind of thinking.

This is really sad for all involved. I truely feel for his family, but, what happened to self accountability? Why is it always someone else's fault these days?

In the mid to late 90's, when I attended, I remember at least 2 deaths from guys falling off of balconys off campus while drinking at partys. Does this mean that everyone that was at those parties would be arrested by today's standards?

I believe in self accountability but if the kid died of an OxyContin OD after a brother gave him a bunch of pills, does the person who gave it to him not have any responsibility? I know where I'd stand if it was my kid.

And in your example, those things happened in an instant. Anytime somebody is completely unresponsive, and you do nothing to get him medical treatment, you always run the risk that they won't wake up.

An adult knows this. A bunch of scared ass kids don't. But legally they are still adults and are going to have to face the consequences.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
either you left out some details, or they didn't get misdemeanors. Underage drinking hy itself is a summary offense, unless they tack on something else like having a false ID, etc.

Not sure...I think supplying to minors is a misdemeanor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT