ADVERTISEMENT

18 days until Penn State administers a severe Pitt beatdown.

Upsets do happen in college football. Injuries happen. Turnovers happen. But, there is a reason Penn State is favored by 19

Penn State returns 2nd yr QB
Pitt lost 2 year starter
Penn State has a rising OC in his 2nd year
Pitt hired a guy who has been fired at multiple spots
Penn State has a big experience advantage with their OL vs Pitt DL
Pitt has inexperience at LB
Last season from 2Nd qtr on PSU DL faired pretty well against Pitt OL(Pitt lost 2 good players from that Unit)
Pitt has 3 players suspended for the game
Pitt lost a lot of veteran leadership
Penn State returns a lot of leadership
Game is at HV
Revenge is in minds of Penn State

An upset could happen but I think it's not likely

But Mike they have Narduzzi who can coach whereas we have a fraud of a coach in Franklin.This is the big reason Pitters think they can win.Darduzzi loves to recruit 3* so he can coach them up to be NFL draft choises.

Reactions: denniskembala
Actually it's no longer 18 days away, as of Saturday it will be 14 days away, but first, Akron Akron Akron Akron Akron

For what it's worth I will give you a Pitt fan's perspective on Pitt's team this year.

Offense
The line lost 2 starters to the NFL, but gained a starter (from the prior season) back from injury. The best o-lineman from last season is returning in Brian O'Neil who leads the nation among returning players in pass blocking efficiency. The depth is such that it's possible multi-year starter Alex Bookser could get pushed to the bench. There may be some drop off in the line, but there shouldn't be much.
At running back, we lost the team's emotional leader in James Conner. But he was only at about 60% or so for the PSU game last year according to him. He really didn't regain his form until fairly late in the season. Qadree Ollison stepped in after Conner's injury in 2015 and had a great year, being named the ACC Rookie of the Year. He was understandably pushed to a backup role last year with Conner's return, but he leads a fairly talented group back this year.
At WR, Jester Weah was second in the nation in yards per catch last season (first among returning players). Quadree Henderson is a returning All-America in the slot. Looking for one of the younger receivers to step up in the third spot, which was Tre Tipton, but Tipton was lost for the season during camp with a torn ACL. So one of the other younger WRs will need to step up.
At quarterback, much will depend on how grad transfer Max Browne performs. Reports from camp is that his arm and mobility look good, but more importantly his decision-making has been very good. Read that as not turning the ball over. Peterman gave the offense consistent play with very few turnovers last season, and Pitt will need that out of Browne this year. There is virtually no experience behind Browne, so if he falters (or God forbid gets injured) it could be a long season.
I felt that Pitt's most versatile player (and most valuable in the red zone) last season was fullback George Aston. It is unclear how/whether Shawn Watson, Pitt's new OC, plans to use the fullback in his offense, but Aston won't be a part of it as it looks like he is out long term with injury. Aston was a devastating blocker and capable receiver, and I think his loss is significant.
In total, the offense will probably be just as good as the quarterback play. If they get solid play from Browne, this should be a pretty good offense. OC Watson has a number of weapons to utilize (I haven't even mentioned Chris Clark who brings an enormous skill set to the TE position) and should benefit from a solid O line. Feeling pretty good about this group.

Defense
No other way to say it, a group that was not very good last year has been decimated by graduation, injuries, and disciplinary action.
On the D-Line, Pitt's best interior lineman - by far - last season was Tyrique Jarrett. He was huge and commanded double-teams, clogging the interior. Pitt was a different run defense in the games he missed. The best returning interior lineman was going to be Jeremiah Taleni, but Taleni was booted from the team for disciplinary reasons. Amir Watts is the only returning player with any starts under his belt (he started against Clemson as a true frosh and performed admirably). Lot's of inexperience in this group, which includes Kam Carter (commence side posts on Carter).
At DE, Juan Price was the only lineman who consistently was able to put pressure on opposing passers, although his production tailed off towards the second half of the season. In any case, he's gone to graduation. Rori Blair started most games at DE over last 2 seasons, but he was thrown off the team for disciplinary reasons, too. To be honest, Blair's play was wildly inconsistent and I don't think he is a great loss. If Dewayne Hendrix can come back fully from injury (he was lost for the season in our first game last year), he and Allen Edwards should be a wash in comparison to last year's DEs.
The linebacker situation is interesting. Pitt had lost their starting OLB in the first game of the season last year and he is now back. So, although they lost 2 starting LBs from last year, they really only lost one. And the two starters they lost, Caprara and Galambos, had kept their spots over younger, faster and more athletic players due mainly to experience. This year's LBs will not be nearly as experienced or deep as last year, but they should be much faster and more athletic. We'll have to see how that translates in schemes and on-field play.
The defensive secondary...... Um. OK, I guess I should say something. First, the obvious - our secondary play was horrid last year. In fact, Pitt's run defense was statistically good last year, I think due to the fact that most teams didn't bother to run against us. Our safeties made a ton of bad reads and failed to support over the top. The corners gave up way too large of cushions to the WRs and even when they were in position, none of them turned their heads around to make a play on the ball. It also didn't help that our corners were very short, and had problems matching up against taller WRs. Pitt has an infusion of younger, taller DBs who specialize in "press" coverage (Narduzzi's preferred approach), but they may be a year away from ACC ready. We'll see. Likewise, there is a good bit of young talent at the safety spot. The most talented returning starter, by far, is Jordan Whitehead. Whitehead is suspended for the first 3 games (including PSU). Even though he was as guilty as anyone else in that secondary for being out of position last year, his suspension is a very big loss to that defense. End result is that a relatively inexperienced group will be put to the test. But honestly, I really don't think the secondary play could be any worse than it was last year.
Much like how the offense boils down to QB play, the defense boils down to the secondary. If the younger players can step up the play, we could see an improvement in the overall defense. This should be a faster defense, but they are probably a year away from being a solid defense.

Reactions: gregoryj95
For what it's worth I will give you a Pitt fan's perspective on Pitt's team this year.

Offense
The line lost 2 starters to the NFL, but gained a starter (from the prior season) back from injury. The best o-lineman from last season is returning in Brian O'Neil who leads the nation among returning players in pass blocking efficiency. The depth is such that it's possible multi-year starter Alex Bookser could get pushed to the bench. There may be some drop off in the line, but there shouldn't be much.
At running back, we lost the team's emotional leader in James Conner. But he was only at about 60% or so for the PSU game last year according to him. He really didn't regain his form until fairly late in the season. Qadree Ollison stepped in after Conner's injury in 2015 and had a great year, being named the ACC Rookie of the Year. He was understandably pushed to a backup role last year with Conner's return, but he leads a fairly talented group back this year.
At WR, Jester Weah was second in the nation in yards per catch last season (first among returning players). Quadree Henderson is a returning All-America in the slot. Looking for one of the younger receivers to step up in the third spot, which was Tre Tipton, but Tipton was lost for the season during camp with a torn ACL. So one of the other younger WRs will need to step up.
At quarterback, much will depend on how grad transfer Max Browne performs. Reports from camp is that his arm and mobility look good, but more importantly his decision-making has been very good. Read that as not turning the ball over. Peterman gave the offense consistent play with very few turnovers last season, and Pitt will need that out of Browne this year. There is virtually no experience behind Browne, so if he falters (or God forbid gets injured) it could be a long season.
I felt that Pitt's most versatile player (and most valuable in the red zone) last season was fullback George Aston. It is unclear how/whether Shawn Watson, Pitt's new OC, plans to use the fullback in his offense, but Aston won't be a part of it as it looks like he is out long term with injury. Aston was a devastating blocker and capable receiver, and I think his loss is significant.
In total, the offense will probably be just as good as the quarterback play. If they get solid play from Browne, this should be a pretty good offense. OC Watson has a number of weapons to utilize (I haven't even mentioned Chris Clark who brings an enormous skill set to the TE position) and should benefit from a solid O line. Feeling pretty good about this group.

Defense
No other way to say it, a group that was not very good last year has been decimated by graduation, injuries, and disciplinary action.
On the D-Line, Pitt's best interior lineman - by far - last season was Tyrique Jarrett. He was huge and commanded double-teams, clogging the interior. Pitt was a different run defense in the games he missed. The best returning interior lineman was going to be Jeremiah Taleni, but Taleni was booted from the team for disciplinary reasons. Amir Watts is the only returning player with any starts under his belt (he started against Clemson as a true frosh and performed admirably). Lot's of inexperience in this group, which includes Kam Carter (commence side posts on Carter).
At DE, Juan Price was the only lineman who consistently was able to put pressure on opposing passers, although his production tailed off towards the second half of the season. In any case, he's gone to graduation. Rori Blair started most games at DE over last 2 seasons, but he was thrown off the team for disciplinary reasons, too. To be honest, Blair's play was wildly inconsistent and I don't think he is a great loss. If Dewayne Hendrix can come back fully from injury (he was lost for the season in our first game last year), he and Allen Edwards should be a wash in comparison to last year's DEs.
The linebacker situation is interesting. Pitt had lost their starting OLB in the first game of the season last year and he is now back. So, although they lost 2 starting LBs from last year, they really only lost one. And the two starters they lost, Caprara and Galambos, had kept their spots over younger, faster and more athletic players due mainly to experience. This year's LBs will not be nearly as experienced or deep as last year, but they should be much faster and more athletic. We'll have to see how that translates in schemes and on-field play.
The defensive secondary...... Um. OK, I guess I should say something. First, the obvious - our secondary play was horrid last year. In fact, Pitt's run defense was statistically good last year, I think due to the fact that most teams didn't bother to run against us. Our safeties made a ton of bad reads and failed to support over the top. The corners gave up way too large of cushions to the WRs and even when they were in position, none of them turned their heads around to make a play on the ball. It also didn't help that our corners were very short, and had problems matching up against taller WRs. Pitt has an infusion of younger, taller DBs who specialize in "press" coverage (Narduzzi's preferred approach), but they may be a year away from ACC ready. We'll see. Likewise, there is a good bit of young talent at the safety spot. The most talented returning starter, by far, is Jordan Whitehead. Whitehead is suspended for the first 3 games (including PSU). Even though he was as guilty as anyone else in that secondary for being out of position last year, his suspension is a very big loss to that defense. End result is that a relatively inexperienced group will be put to the test. But honestly, I really don't think the secondary play could be any worse than it was last year.
Much like how the offense boils down to QB play, the defense boils down to the secondary. If the younger players can step up the play, we could see an improvement in the overall defense. This should be a faster defense, but they are probably a year away from being a solid defense.
You lost me on your first paragraph about the OLine. That was so delusional that I doubt I could get through the rest without a few strong drinks.

I believe losing Johnson and Biznowaty will hurt more that Pitt fans believe. They picked up Hodges from Texas and Jones Smith returns but is coming off a very significant injury that almost ended his career. Those things tend to reappear. Same can be said for Oneil's shoulder. It's one thing to look ok in practice but another to do it in a game. I think Pitt lacks in oline depth after the top 6 and have been very fortunate to go injury free the last 2 years on the oline

Where I think Pitt takes a big step back is Max Browne's elusive compared to Peterman's. Outside of O'Neil, Pitt's oline did let up some pressure last year. Having Peterman and Having Aston in blitz pickup helped. I also think Pitt's jet sweep became less effective as the year went on and Penn State became better at defending it. That was a huge difference in the first quarter

Pitt's D line and Linebackers are very inexperienced. I think by years end their D will be better than last years but early in the year, they will take their lumps

I think Pitt starts the season 1-3 and it will depend how Narduzzi keeps the team together on whether they become bowl eligible

Your All-American playing in the slot is named that as a special teams player not for his skill set at that position. He was good on jet sweeps but as a receiver did very little. So far he hasn't shown himself as a threat in the passing game.

Max Browne is starting for Pitt. The same Max Browne who stunk up the Coliseum playing for USC last year. And he won't have an SC-caliber offensive line blocking for him. James Conner is gone. Saquon is gonna have a big day.

I think those factors, among others, translate to PSU covering the 19 point spread. Handily.

Your All-American playing in the slot is named that as a special teams player not for his skill set at that position. He was good on jet sweeps but as a receiver did very little. So far he hasn't shown himself as a threat in the passing game.

Partly true. The Football Writers, Walter Camp and Sporting News named him All America as a returner. But AP and Coaches Ass'n named him as an "all purpose player". He was second on team in combined receiving and rushing yards out of the slot (second to Conner), and made All-ACC as a receiver. But you are right that leading FBS in return yards was key.

Max Browne is starting for Pitt. The same Max Browne who stunk up the Coliseum playing for USC last year. And he won't have an SC-caliber offensive line blocking for him. James Conner is gone. Saquon is gonna have a big day.

I think those factors, among others, translate to PSU covering the 19 point spread. Handily.

I don't know if Browne will have a great year or fall flat. But he had a QB rating of 111 last year at So. Cal. Although that may not be the best ever, it hardly equates to stinking up the joint.

I'm normally in the camp of anything can happen, particularly in a rivalry game. But Pitt is gonna get smoked this year. I'm thinking a beat-down on par with what we saw vs. Iowa last year.

Partly true. The Football Writers, Walter Camp and Sporting News named him All America as a returner. But AP and Coaches Ass'n named him as an "all purpose player". He was second on team in combined receiving and rushing yards out of the slot (second to Conner), and made All-ACC as a receiver. But you are right that leading FBS in return yards was key.
My point stands, he had 286 yards receiving last year. He is a very impressive player in the return game, but not nearly the same threat in the passing game. The jet sweep is his thing on offense, and at least I would be surprised if teams won't be a little better prepared for that this season, but Pitt is not lining up with an impressive group of receiving threats. Last season relied on teams lining up to stop the running game which with impressive play calling and pre-snap motion that created a lot of opportunity. With some talent and Canada Pitt had a very effective and unusual offense. Canada was able to spread teams out with a power running game, he used the tight end, fullback, Henderson to compliment that. It set up play action beautifully. With a new OC and some loss of personal I'm not sure that success could be repeated. Is Browne a good player that just sat behind some better players? Could those two NFL players on the line be replaced? Is Watson the same guy that got fired repeatedly or will he build on what Canada started?

I don't know if Browne will have a great year or fall flat. But he had a QB rating of 111 last year at So. Cal. Although that may not be the best ever, it hardly equates to stinking up the joint.
It surprises me to read that he had a 111 QB rating with the Trojans. Even if that is the case, they were losing with him as their starter, and he ended up getting benched in favor of Sam Darnold. Seems like a no brainer now, given what Darnold went on to do, but Darnold was no sure thing at the time the Trojans made the change. We'll see if Browne can resurrect his NFL hopes as the Panthers' starter. Maybe he can, but the Lions will present perhaps his toughest test of the season.

It surprises me to read that he had a 111 QB rating with the Trojans. Even if that is the case, they were losing with him as their starter, and he ended up getting benched in favor of Sam Darnold. Seems like a no brainer now, given what Darnold went on to do, but Darnold was no sure thing at the time the Trojans made the change. We'll see if Browne can resurrect his NFL hopes as the Panthers' starter. Maybe he can, but the Lions will present perhaps his toughest test of the season.

USC was losing with Browne as the starter, but in all fairness to him, those losses were to Alabama on the road and Stanford on the road. So that 111 rating looks even better in that light.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT