ADVERTISEMENT

10 Reasons Why - Jones's 10 good reasons JF could leave = CLUELESS

Texas A&M?

Yes. In addition to being in a premiere conference and having access to one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country, they are FLUSH with cash. Ask Jimbo Fisher.

960x0.jpg

I didn't read the article- I don't want to give Jones a single click.

But once you get off campus, you are in central PA, which- let's face it- isn't exactly the center of enlightenment. And if you think that SoCal offers nothing different, or that CJF couldn't choose to live anywhere then you are probably missing something. The fact that you put quotes around racism as if it's fictitious might be an indication- because it's not fictitious, it's as alive as it's ever been.

All that matters in the end is how CJF and his family have personally experienced State College and how they feel about the PSU community. Whether it's this year or next, he's going to have other opportunities- if he turns them down it certainly won't be because his commute will be 30 minutes longer or shorter.

You're right. Not only didn't you read Jones's bigoted article, but you didn't read the post I was replying to. I quoted "racism" because that was what SUPERTODD wrote. Not because it doesn't exist.

On the contrary. Jones's article is chock full of insinuated racism and racial stereotypes. He makes a LOT of opinionated assumptions just because Franklin is Black. Funny Jones comes out with this targeted bullsh!t right before National Signing Day with his Alma Mater's own Head Coach going off the deep end.

The areas around Penn or Yale aren’t great either - not a good enough reason not to go there though.

I worked at Penn and have had a complete official tour of Yale.

Yale is a fortress. The Dorms are literally enclosed by stone and brick walls and heavily gated. The area around it is, as you imply, pretty much a dump.

And at Penn, I used to take the subway to 34th and Market every day and walk the rest of the way to campus. It was back in the mid-70s, and I always felt like I was walking through East Berlin. Never bothered me because I was used to it. But there is absolutely no way you can compare those areas to State College for bringing up your kids, no matter what their racial makeup.

I worked at Penn and have had a complete official tour of Yale.

Yale is a fortress. The Dorms are literally enclosed by stone and brick walls and heavily gated. The area around it is, as you imply, pretty much a dump.

And at Penn, I used to take the subway to 34th and Market every day and walk the rest of the way to campus. It was back in the mid-70s, and I always felt like I was walking through East Berlin. Never bothered me because I was used to it. But there is absolutely no way you can compare those areas to State College for bringing up your kids, no matter what their racial makeup.

What about to USC?

1. USC is a better job than Penn State

'Better' is really, really loaded. It's only 'better' IMO because the Pac 12 is much weaker than the B1G and winning (getting to the Pac 12 Championship game) is easier. Oh - and it really recruits itself (see: big city, nice weather, excellent tradition, Song Girls, etc.). Otherwise, dated facilities and a fair-weather fan base are big negatives.

2. The thrill is gone.

Nah. Takes time to build something. While I think USC would give any HC pause, it's definitely a 'right fit' type school. That includes ties to the West Coast and California, and living under a much bigger microscope. More distractions there too for sure.

3. Weather and lifestyle.

Weather - yes, lifestyle - depends.

4. Franklin's personality is a perfect LA fit.

Agree.

5. Franklin's recruiting background almost entirely east of the Mississippi does not matter.

If anything, this is a huge bonus for USC. They already get pretty much anyone they want west of Texas.

6. Sandy Barbour's future as AD is unknown

Is it?

7. Being an African-American coach might be easier in a large, diverse city.

Maybe, but doesn't matter.

8. Lynn Swann could hire USC's first black head football coach.

While this is a true statement, it doesn't matter much.

9. The Pac-12 South is so much easier than the Big Ten East

Agree.

10. James Franklin has never gathered moss.

You should always go bigger and better if you can - USC is a lateral at best. Again, goes to 'fit'.

IMO, the most compelling reason to leave would be easier conference, weather, and lifestyle if you're into living in a massive media market. The reasons to stay at Penn State are equally compelling - rabid fan base, great recruiting, much better network presence (don't have to deal with weird start times to accommodate east coast TV audience), history, tradition, familiarity, etc. Also, something to be said for playing in the toughest division in college football.

My thinking is if you have one of these jobs, you don't look for others (unless you want to coach in the NFL):

Alabama
Penn State
Michigan
LSU
USC
Georgia
Notre Dame
Texas
Ohio State
Texas A&M

Borderline: Florida, Florida State

Every other job is a stepping stone to one of the above.
With respect to number 7. James Franklin's father was African-American. He has stated, however, that his mother was the single biggest influence in his life. Not surprising. Many of us could say the same. His mother was white, raised in the UK - Manchester, England. He went to Neshaminy High (Philly suburbs) and East Stroudsburg (hardly urban and diverse). He's quite outgoing in State College. I think he's generally comfortable with people. I'm sure he'd thrive in LA too. Don't think he's leaving State College just yet though.

Article discussing his mother's influence:

https://www.ydr.com/story/archives/...l-coach-james-franklin-his-longtime/74453868/

Last edited:
With respect to number 7. James Franklin's father was African-American. He has stated, however, that his mother was the single biggest influence in his life. Not surprising. Many of us could say the same. His mother was white, raised in the UK - Manchester, England. He went to Neshaminy High (Philly suburbs) and East Stroudsburg (hardly urban and diverse). He's quite outgoing in State College. I think he's generally comfortable with people. I'm sure he'd thrive in LA too. Don't think he's leaving State College just yet though.

Article discussing his mother's influence:

https://www.ydr.com/story/archives/...l-coach-james-franklin-his-longtime/74453868/

I agree. And it's convenient how Jones leaves out Franklin's 'white' heritage (like many did for Obama). That said, I don't think he's leaving, and I hope he stays. If he does, next man up, right?

But, he did further address the rumor Wednesday after practice, which I guess is one good thing about all this nonsense.

“In an attempt yesterday — a failed attempt — to try to keep the focus on Maryland, I got asked a question yesterday about another school. I tried to keep the focus on Maryland, like I always do with the next opponent, and that didn’t go over very well.

I didn’t feel like it was appropriate to talk about another school or another person’s job status, so that’s why I addressed it the way I did. But obviously (I) have all the plans in the world to be here, and be here for a long time.

So I just wanted to address that because it became something that I did not want it to be or intend to be. I wanted to put that statement out there, and then obviously I would love to talk about Maryland and our practice today.”

His article reeks "racism". He basically uses that as an insinuated premise as to why Franklin wants to leave.

i swear he thinks all Black people want to live in a ghetto, which is what the area around USC's campus basically is. The "wilderness" as he calls Penn State, is too White for him. Jones can go f-ck himself.

Okay that makes sense. I have no intention of giving click to Jones, but I can accept we can add “racist” to his long list of negative traits.

Reactions: eidolon21
Further illustrating why most CFB Coaches’ contracts specifically tie a significant amount of their compensation (often in the seven figure range for highly paid guys like CJF) to the requirement to have X number of media events (like press conferences).

Otherwise, I am sure, most of them would never subject themselves to dealing with media folks who are either:

A) Always looking to twist and contort every statement into a “controversy” (BTW: There was a textbook example of this wrt Cory Giger a couple weeks back..... the one about Election Day)

And / Or

B) Ask questions that are so “stoopid” :) as to make the interviewee (the Coach) have to grit his teeth to keep from walking away from the podium and punching the reporter in the throat.

Obviously :)
As far as B) goes, one of my favorite FB coach responses ever to a reporter's question was Joe's, "I don't know and I don't care," following the 2005 home finale win over MSU that clinched the Big Ten championship and resulted in the trip to the Orange Bowl against FSU. Still chuckle just thinking about it. What made it even better was that he trotted away and made it the last question and answer.

For all Dave’s nonsensical yellow journalism, this one might take the cake. Not sure if DJ is the bigger fool or we are the bigger fools for reading and talking about this.

Now is a good time to remind everyone: Dave Jones would love NOTHING more than to see Penn State football fail. All tied to a single mistake in an elevator. Such a sad little man.

it is hard to understand why a journalist would spend so much time analyzing whether a coach would consider a job that currently does not exist. not seen any credible evidence that there even is an open job at USC. does he have some special knowledge of what is going on at USC? if NOT, WHY is he speculating with such a lengthy "analysis"? is he just trying to make news that does not exist?

it is hard to understand why a journalist would spend so much time analyzing whether a coach would consider a job that currently does not exist. not seen any credible evidence that there even is an open job at USC. does he have some special knowledge of what is going on at USC? if NOT, WHY is he speculating with such a lengthy "analysis"? is he just trying to make news that does not exist?

He believes the speculation will harm PSU and benefit O$U. That, and ego, are the only real reasons he does anything.

Last edited:
He believes the speculation will harm PSU and benefit O$U. That and ego are the only real reasons he does anything.
And if he keeps throwing crap out there, he might be right one day and he can talk about how he scooped the story. If he’s wrong, no big deal.

Annoying that anyone is even discussing this loser's tripe.

DBJ (douchebag jones) is pathetically predictable and laughable. His normal passive aggressive anti-PSU rhetoric is typical whenever there is slightest inkling of discontent, no matter how insignificant or misplaced.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT