ADVERTISEMENT

1 in 4 females at PSU "sexually assaulted" while in school

Well, it's been known for a long time that sexual assaults are greatly under-reported.

Just think about the INCREDIBLE illogical idiocy of that statement. Just for a minute

I mean, I don't want to be harsh, but the level of intellectual disengagement necessary to even make a statement like that is mind-numbing

My thoughts are that these numbers are inflated some by the method of gathering the data and/or representing the data by those paid to do these studies. High numbers secure follow up surveys as a bonus but also serve an agenda. Additionally, any organization that is an unnatural sampling of the general population skewed to younger individuals will see a naturally higher rate than the general population. That goes for Penn State, Harvard, the Air Force, etc. The pre-frontal cortex of adolescents through young adults are not conducive to strong decision making. Couple this with alcohol and it is easy to see how it happens.

Reactions: Ski
1) Please don't associate yoga pants with "wanting it". They're comfortable!
2) Girls NEVER ask for it, but they can put themselves in high risk situations. I did it. I've cautioned my girls against it. I hope they listened to me.
3) This isn't unique to Penn State; it's a global issue. If Penn State ever really wanted to affect change, they would use this data in conjunction with data from other settings to establish the scope of the problem Instead, this has gone out another "Penn State problem". Like we need another problem our "leadership" isn't equipped to manage!!

Reactions: JmmyW and Ski
1) Please don't associate yoga pants with "wanting it". They're comfortable!
2) Girls NEVER ask for it, but they can put themselves in high risk situations. I did it. I've cautioned my girls against it. I hope they listened to me.
3) This isn't unique to Penn State; it's a global issue. If Penn State ever really wanted to affect change, they would use this data in conjunction with data from other settings to establish the scope of the problem Instead, this has gone out another "Penn State problem". Like we need another problem our "leadership" isn't equipped to manage!!

I agree with all of this...I just want to ask you this question: Do you believe that 25% of all women who attend Penn State are sexually assaulted where penetration is attempted or completed? Because if that's true, I'd never send a gal to the school.

I rarely agree with you but have to on this. 5% is horrible, why pad it with unrealistic numbers? It simply ruins the credibility and causes the observer to simply quit listening.

Well I do agree with that, and this thread highlights the problem. By releasing bullshit statistics, the very people who need to be educated about this issue instead dig in their heels and argue about he statistics instead of asking what they can do to help solve the problem.

So yes, it's counterproductive.

My thoughts are that these numbers are inflated some by the method of gathering the data and/or representing the data by those paid to do these studies. High numbers secure follow up surveys as a bonus but also serve an agenda. Additionally, any organization that is an unnatural sampling of the general population skewed to younger individuals will see a naturally higher rate than the general population. That goes for Penn State, Harvard, the Air Force, etc. The pre-frontal cortex of adolescents through young adults are not conducive to strong decision making. Couple this with alcohol and it is easy to see how it happens.

Right. But none of that gives us an excuse, as a society, to ignore the issue.
The fact of the matter is that a lot of women are sexually assaulted. It ain't right.

I agree with all of this...I just want to ask you this question: Do you believe that 25% of all women who attend Penn State are sexually assaulted where penetration is attempted or completed? Because if that's true, I'd never send a gal to the school.
I really have no idea. I'm also not sure how sexual assault is defined here.....if that means somebody grabbing your ass, etc., then probably 25% easily. Actual penetration....highly doubt it. But again, I wouldn't know.

I really have no idea. I'm also not sure how sexual assault is defined here.....if that means somebody grabbing your ass, etc., then probably 25% easily. Actual penetration....highly doubt it. But again, I wouldn't know.

Here is the definition:

"The survey defines sexual assault as any non consensual act that involves completed or attempted penetration. Unwanted touching, kissing or fondling are not included."

Here is the definition:

"The survey defines sexual assault as any non consensual act that involves completed or attempted penetration. Unwanted touching, kissing or fondling are not included."
Hard to believe but I have nothing but my opinion to base that on. I only know 2 people who have told me they're sexual assault victims but I guess people don't usually talk about it a lot either.

Hard to believe but I have nothing but my opinion to base that on. I only know 2 people who have told me they're sexual assault victims but I guess people don't usually talk about it a lot either.

That's true...so its very hard to get a baseline because, honestly, who knows? But when I see a statistic on something like this I have to question it....then, that leads me to question the agenda of those who are floating it. Then I lose sympathy.

That's true...so its very hard to get a baseline because, honestly, who knows? But when I see a statistic on something like this I have to question it....then, that leads me to question the agenda of those who are floating it. Then I lose sympathy.
It's as if Penn State WANTS to publish this stuff to accomplish 2 goals: 1) establish that we have a corrupt "culture" and 2) publicize that we are dedicated to owning and solving the problem. Neither is true.

Statistical crap. The 25% of women who returned the surveys were self-selecting......they would be statistically the ones who are more likely to claim to have been "assaulted". The 75% who did not respond are likely the ones who have no interest in the survey because they would say....."we were never assaulted".....making the "1/4 of all women" statistic dog poop. To make this statistically valid you would have to select, say, 100 randomly selected women off the enrolled student database, interview everyone one of them, and only then draw a population inference.

Another point I haven't seen raised, that people may claim abuse, even though they never were, just to shine the spotlight on abuse.

[/QUOTE="Obliviax, post: 1681779, member: 1414"]I agree with all of this...I just want to ask you this question: Do you believe that 25% of all women who attend Penn State are sexually assaulted where penetration is attempted or completed? Because if that's true, I'd never send a gal to the school.[/QUOTE]
If this was true why would you assume it's worse then other Universities? Because they want you believe it's worse otherwise they would have shown comparison data.

Reactions: Ski and berkland4
[/QUOTE="Obliviax, post: 1681779, member: 1414"]I agree with all of this...I just want to ask you this question: Do you believe that 25% of all women who attend Penn State are sexually assaulted where penetration is attempted or completed? Because if that's true, I'd never send a gal to the school.
If this was true why would you assume it's worse then other Universities? Because they want you believe it's worse otherwise they would have shown comparison data.[/QUOTE]
Yes, this is also my issue. My 19 year old daughter is a student at Duquesne and over Spring break went to Ohio University to visit a friend. I cautioned her about drinking. But I especially cautioned her that if you're going to make that (bad) decision, DO NOT take a drink, or anything else from anyone; you pour it yourself! In my parental point of view, she was "fresh meat" for the OU campus and at greater risk because of it. Penn State set this up as a Penn State issue when it is clearly NOT.

Here is the definition:

I noticed they didn't show us which questions specifically were included in the two main categories of harassment and assault.

Also, question 84 is a real gem. Here it is:

Q84.) Even though it didn't happen, someone TRIED to have oral, anal, or vaginal sex with me without my consent by:

Here one of the specific questions that was part of question 84.
"Showing displeasure, criticizing my sexuality or attractiveness, getting angry but not using physical force, after I said I didn't want to."

I wonder how many times someone was happy about being turned down? I guess the only way every girl wasn't assaulted is because she either always said yes or the guys were happy as hell at being turned away.

Reactions: coveydidnt
Here one of the specific questions that was part of question 84.
"Showing displeasure

Even in the best case:

Guy: "Well, I had a good time - good study session! Wanna watch some Netflix & Chill?"
Gal: "Not tonight, maybe tomorrow night? I'm tired & have an early class"
Guy: [Grumbles, Showing for a moment, displeasure], "Ugh, OK, I'll call ya babe"
Gal: (to self & survey): "I was apparently nearly assaulted!"

Has this happened to you (either side)? Then you were, according to the survey, nearly assaulted or the perpetrator of a "near assault." I applaud most of you for not calling 911 as it's perfectly normal.

Here is the definition:

That was the stated definition for the 25% claim at Penn State?!?! Somebody better address this number, either expose it as hyperbole or prove it. This is utterly ridiculous.

This is where the inflated numbers are coming from.

I wonder how many answered yes because of one of these.

threatening to end the relationship, making promises I knew were untrue, or continually verbally pressuring me after I said I didn't want to

This certainly isn't an issue that's unique to Penn State. The number might be a little bit high due to the survey problem that Pride noted, but what percentage do you guys think is acceptable and something that we, as a society, can ignore? Is it OK if 5% of women are sexually assaulted at some point during a 4-year period? 10%? 15%

Let's hear it. What percentage is acceptable?

Spare me. That's a stupid question. There should be zero tolerance, nil. But don't use false data to support the cause. It will backfire and become the conversation

This is where the inflated numbers are coming from.

I wonder how many answered yes because of one of these.

threatening to end the relationship, making promises I knew were untrue, or continually verbally pressuring me after I said I didn't want to

Good thing my wife didn't know this was sexual assault when we were dating or she would have never married me.

Reactions: Marshall30
As was stated earlier, the pool of respondents is self-selecting and therefore disproportionately likely to be voted on by those who experienced terrible things.

Here's what I despise about this poll and those like it: it lends apparent legitimacy to the argument of those who downplay nearly all sexual assault allegations. By exaggerating the number of those who are assaulted, you minimize the impact and severity of those who truly are. If people think sexual assault figures are phony, they don't believe the people who deserve to be believed. Those conducting these polls and releasing these numbers thinks they're doing some great work, when in actuality they're doing great harm to true victims, of which there are plenty, at PSU and in every community.

Good thing my wife didn't know this was sexual assault when we were dating or she would have never married me.
You continually pressured her to have sex after she said no, lied to her, or threatened to break up with her if she didn't have sex with you?

First, I wonder what the definition of "sexually assaulted" is. Second, I find this number incredibly high. But I've not gone to college in a few years. Am I wrong?

If true....a real mess. I may home school my daughter. :rolleyes:
That number seems very high... one in six or seven maybe but not one in four. Centre County is a peaceful place with very low crime stats

That number seems very high... one in six or seven maybe but not one in four. Centre County is a peaceful place with very low crime stats

Yeah.....but that wouldn't fit the agenda of pretentious, pious, hypocritical douchebags like this:

6336519640.jpg

Who want everyone to believe that they are the pure, righteous Knights Templar - riding in to save the Sodomites.

As was stated earlier, the pool of respondents is self-selecting and therefore disproportionately likely to be voted on by those who experienced terrible things.

Here's what I despise about this poll and those like it: it lends apparent legitimacy to the argument of those who downplay nearly all sexual assault allegations. By exaggerating the number of those who are assaulted, you minimize the impact and severity of those who truly are. If people think sexual assault figures are phony, they don't believe the people who deserve to be believed. Those conducting these polls and releasing these numbers thinks they're doing some great work, when in actuality they're doing great harm to true victims, of which there are plenty, at PSU and in every community.

Agree,

Even one in six is disgustingly high. Think about it. Say that's true. That means if you know 100 college women (from your classes or whatever) 17 have been sexually assaulted. Let's not minimize the seriousness of that. If one in six of the apartments in State College had been burgled, people would be screaming bloody murder.

I haven't been a student for a long time, but frat guys used to consider a sport to get freshman girls drunk and screw them. When one of the parties deliberately works to incapacitate the other, that's not two drunk kids rolling around. That's rape. Rape is not "peaceful."

I just recently saw an interview with someone discussing this very topic (not PSU, but nationally) and that person brought up many of the same arguments brought up here to debunk the statistics. The selection process of the participants, the definition of sexual assault and the number of participants all sway the actual number much higher than really happens. If a drunk girl has sex with a drunk guy and she regrets it, that's sexual assault or could be viewed as sexual assault in these studies.
My buddy during my school days referred to this as "fu@ker's remorse". Chick committed acts normally reserved for the barnyard and regretted them. Back then, she went to a different bar, frat house or other party for a few weeks. Today, it is sexual abuse because they dont know shame.

My buddy during my school days referred to this as "fu@ker's remorse". Chick committed acts normally reserved for the barnyard and regretted them. Back then, she went to a different bar, frat house or other party for a few weeks. Today, it is sexual abuse because they dont know shame.

Or maybe your "buddy" was just a rapist.

well that's a lot better.

see? we're already getting the number down.... i'll call freeh... we'll do a few interviews with simple idiots, then pin the blame on some dead guy... and before you know, there won't be football at psu anymore. problem solved. it's the football culture and we're gonna fix that!

now.. where's that oakman kid? couldn't help notice that the first thing the article does is mention that he started his career at penn state.

of course. :rolleyes:

This certainly isn't an issue that's unique to Penn State. The number might be a little bit high due to the survey problem that Pride noted, but what percentage do you guys think is acceptable and something that we, as a society, can ignore? Is it OK if 5% of women are sexually assaulted at some point during a 4-year period? 10%? 15%

Let's hear it. What percentage is acceptable?
I agree with your sentiment, Aoshiro, but surveys which are vague about the definition of "sexual assault" and posit outlandish statistics (like 1 in 4 PSU coeds has been sexually assaulted) do a huge disservice to the legitimate victims of sexual assault.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT