ADVERTISEMENT

“The science is looking pretty unanimous on this one: Drivers of expensive cars are the worst.”

The results are skewed by BMW drivers, who are virtually always assholes.
Mercedes drivers are generally gentlemen of style and taste.

Beemers are everywhere, so there's a wide variety of types of drivers, though there is a large subset that tend to be very aggressive.

Mercedes? It's almost always old rich ladies driving a Mercedes, and they usually aren't paying attention to road signs, or anything going on around them (the same goes for female drivers of a nicer Lexus). They're the type that would run someone over, never having seen them, let out an "oh, did I run over something?" and then keep going, only to tell their husbands there might be something wrong with the car when they get home.

Drivers of a Porsche? There has never been a human who drove a Porsche who wasn't a colossal asshat (not just on the road ... in every aspect of their life ... that's why they get a Porsche).

Acura, Infiniti and Audi? No problems.

Here’s my science report. Connecticut drivers are the world’s worst, regardless of what they drive, followed by Mass drivers as a close second.

CT drivers are aggressive. MA drivers are a little bit of everything bad, with a healthy helping of entitlement, but not awful at anything in particular. RI drivers are, I believe, all unlicensed and running from the law. NJ are hyper-aggressive (like CT drivers on steroids in the middle of a road rage flare-up). PA drivers are not sure of any driving laws, but are pretty nice about it. NH drivers are driving blindfolded. NY drivers vary by location ... near NYC they're basically like the roided up NJ drivers, but with more steroids ... otherwise they're just a little clueless. I'd probably go, from worst to best among that crew ... RI, NJ, NH, MA, NY, CT, PA.

Last edited:
See the link below. From the article:

“(CNN) — The science is looking pretty unanimous on this one: Drivers of expensive cars are the worst.

A new study has found that drivers of flashy vehicles are less likely to stop and allow pedestrians to cross the road -- with the likelihood they'll slow down decreasing by 3% for every extra $1,000 that their vehicle is worth.

Researchers from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas speculated that the expensive car owners "felt a sense of superiority over other road users" and were less able to empathize with lowly sidewalk-dwellers.

They came to this conclusion after asking volunteers to cross a sidewalk hundreds of times, filming and analyzing the responses by car drivers.”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world/expensive-car-drivers-study-scli-scn-intl/index.html

Well I don't know about driving but the are absolutely the worst parkers.

I drive a Mini S where do I fit? ;)
My fav mini S right now. Post up a pic.
eDrlRhu.jpg

Beemers are everywhere, so there's a wide variety of types of drivers, though there is a large subset that tend to be very aggressive.

Mercedes? It's almost always old rich ladies driving a Mercedes, and they usually aren't paying attention to road signs, or anything going on around them (the same goes for female drivers of a nicer Lexus). They're the type that would run someone over, never having seen them, let out an "oh, did I run over something?" and then keep going, only to tell their husbands there might be something wrong with the car when they get home.

Drivers of a Porsche? There has never been a human who drove a Porsche who wasn't a colossal asshat (not just on the road ... in every aspect of their life ... that's why they get a Porsche).

I say the same thing about any guy that drives a jacked up 4X4 - especially if he is less than 5'10" tall.

Reactions: PrtLng Lion
I say the same thing about any guy that drives a jacked up 4X4 - especially if he is less than 5'10" tall.

Agreed. I was focusing on luxury cars. It's been a long time since I've had to deal with too many truck owners with lift kits and/or oversized wheels since I moved to MA from PA, though. The Boston 'burbs don't have too many jacked up 4x4s, but you do run into the occasional Porsche driver.

Agreed. I was focusing on luxury cars. It's been a long time since I've had to deal with too many truck owners with lift kits and/or oversized wheels since I moved to MA from PA, though. The Boston 'burbs don't have too many jacked up 4x4s, but you do run into the occasional Porsche driver.
If you are running into only an occasional Porsche driver, then you are not living in the right suburb. ;)

Never fails for me out there on the roadways: white Range Rover with a female at the wheel. She is better than you and you would do well to remember it.

Reactions: odshowtime
If you are running into only an occasional Porsche driver, then you are not living in the right suburb. ;)
I’m boat shopping so 2 days ago I’m at the local marine max chatting with a sales guy wearing my A2B Motorsports hoodie. A fellow salesman rolls over and asks me about A2B and tells me he drives a 911 turbo. I ask him which one, he says a red one. I started laughing and asked no dude, 993? 997? so of course he shows me a pic of his 996 red headed step child, guards red with gold rims, slammed etc. I tell him 996s get a bad rap. He walked away unhappy with me.

You guys ever been to South Florida, driving 95S into Miami? That is where the nation's worst drivers are.

Agree BMW tops the list. Second is drivers of Dodge Chargers and motorcycles; tailgating, swerving in and out of lanes, cutting everyone off.

Reactions: pandaczar12
Here’s my science report. Connecticut drivers are the world’s worst, regardless of what they drive, followed by Mass drivers as a close second.

I-95 through Connecticut might be the worst road in the country. But Florida drivers are the absolute worst.

I really don't get this. My wife complains and accuses me of what you believe. If a 2WD vehicle is going 5 miles an hour because of snow. Why shouldn't I go around him, if I am able to travel at a reasonable speed for the conditions? I'm not talking about my vehicle even going the speed limit. However, 15 or 20 mph is reasonable...5 mph not so much.

In my experience, it's not the 2WD vehicles going slow on slick roads that cause an issue. It's the 4WD soccer mom going 5 MPH up a hill, making it impossible for those in a 2WD to keep up enough speed to keep going. Probably the same people who stop on the highway entrance ramp.

When BMW owners refer to their ride as a Beemer they immediately become a certified asshat

CT drivers are aggressive. MA drivers are a little bit of everything bad, with a healthy helping of entitlement, but not awful at anything in particular. RI drivers are, I believe, all unlicensed and running from the law. NJ are hyper-aggressive (like CT drivers on steroids in the middle of a road rage flare-up). PA drivers are not sure of any driving laws, but are pretty nice about it. NH drivers are driving blindfolded. NY drivers vary by location ... near NYC they're basically like the roided up NJ drivers, but with more steroids ... otherwise they're just a little clueless. I'd probably go, from worst to best among that crew ... RI, NJ, NH, MA, NY, CT, PA.
From my experience, Kentucky is far and away the worst driving state. Wisconsin is next. Indiana is the best driving state in my opinion.

From my experience, Kentucky is far and away the worst driving state. Wisconsin is next. Indiana is the best driving state in my opinion.

I still think NJ is the worst. PA seems to tailgate like no other state I've ever been in, especially in the Shippensburg area.
CA is interesting, I expected it to be the epicenter of aggressive driving and road rage and in my experience its anything but that. They all seem to know that its going to take them forever to get where they want to go so they just deal with it.
The South West, in general, seems pretty chill, AZ, UT, CO but NM can be scary especially if you are around or on the Reservations.

I still think NJ is the worst. PA seems to tailgate like no other state I've ever been in, especially in the Shippensburg area.
CA is interesting, I expected it to be the epicenter of aggressive driving and road rage and in my experience its anything but that. They all seem to know that its going to take them forever to get where they want to go so they just deal with it.
The South West, in general, seems pretty chill, AZ, UT, CO but NM can be scary especially if you are around or on the Reservations.
The thing with New Jersey drivers is that they are trying to get somewhere. That is why they are in the car, daring to enter the world of Jersey traffic. They have somewhere to be and they want to spend as little time in the car as necessary to get there. I can respect that, though I get why one might not like the aggressiveness. Kentucky Driving is like going out for a Sunday drive in the 1930s. Nobody seems to need to be anywhere so they’re just cruising along at a leisurely pace. It’s maddening.

The thing with New Jersey drivers is that they are trying to get somewhere. That is why they are in the car, daring to enter the world of Jersey traffic. They have somewhere to be and they want to spend as little time in the car as necessary to get there. I can respect that, though I get why one might not like the aggressiveness. Kentucky Driving is like going out for a Sunday drive in the 1930s. Nobody seems to need to be anywhere so they’re just cruising along at a leisurely pace. It’s maddening.

NJ drivers do drive like they have to get somewhere ... they just drive like no one else is on the road, and like no one ever taught them any manners (or rules). They’re basically the wild 2 year olds of the driving world.

Reactions: BBrown
See the link below. From the article:

“(CNN) — The science is looking pretty unanimous on this one: Drivers of expensive cars are the worst.

A new study has found that drivers of flashy vehicles are less likely to stop and allow pedestrians to cross the road -- with the likelihood they'll slow down decreasing by 3% for every extra $1,000 that their vehicle is worth.

Researchers from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas speculated that the expensive car owners "felt a sense of superiority over other road users" and were less able to empathize with lowly sidewalk-dwellers.

They came to this conclusion after asking volunteers to cross a sidewalk hundreds of times, filming and analyzing the responses by car drivers.”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world/expensive-car-drivers-study-scli-scn-intl/index.html

No pedestrians involved here, but here's one idiot with a lot of money:

NJ drivers do drive like they have to get somewhere ... they just drive like no one else is on the road, and like no one ever taught them any manners (or rules). They’re basically the wild 2 year olds of the driving world.
That’s true, but I don’t mind it. It is where I learned how to drive, so it’s just what I’m used to. Kentucky drivers also drive like no one else is on the road and they don’t care if you have some place to be. Or that the left lane is for passing. Or that it would help to know if you were about to turn by using their turn signal. Or that they were at the 4-way stop first and should go before me. Or five million other things.

That’s true, but I don’t mind it. It is where I learned how to drive, so it’s just what I’m used to. Kentucky drivers also drive like no one else is on the road and they don’t care if you have some place to be. Or that the left lane is for passing. Or that it would help to know if you were about to turn by using their turn signal. Or that they were at the 4-way stop first and should go before me. Or five million other things.

No one seems to use their turn signals anymore.:rolleyes: And the number of drivers that don't have their headlights on or even parking lights at dawn and dusk or in rain, snow and fog is mind numbing.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
What I have found everywhere is no one has a clue that the left lane is for passing - it seems tons of people just park themselves in the left lane on the highway and refuse to get over even if no one else is around - I do find it a lot in NJ, no one on the road and I pass someone in the right lane and they still get get the hint that they should move over and again there is no one in the right lane. And yes fewer and fewer people use turn indicators and that includes cops.

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
I still think NJ is the worst.

That is an accurate statement for almost all topics. But I do think there are worse drivers, namely Floridians.

PA seems to tailgate like no other state I've ever been in, especially in the Shippensburg area.

I notice on the PA turnpike, the majority of the time a vehicle (usually some big shiny truck that's never hauled a thing) starts riding my ass, they have those distinct yellow NY plates. Something else I've only seen from NY plates... is the flashing of the head lights as they ride your bumper. Which I can only assume means 'please stay in the left lane and slow down'.

"The left lane is for passing" ... that used to be a HUGE problem in PA/NJ ... probably the number one gripe (other than the dangerous, selfish-aggressiveness of NJ drivers) ... since I've been in New England, I've seen much less of it (and more of other issues). I don't know what it is about PA ... maybe it's because the highways are generally less crowded, so folks put on the cruise control, head in the left lane and forget about everything and everyone ... but there were so many folks who just would not move over from the left ... it didn't matter if it was some speed demon going 90 running up behind them ... or just a bunch of slightly faster traffic looking to pass folks on the right ... there was always someone in the left lane passing no one, holding up everything.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
That is an accurate statement for almost all topics. But I do think there are worse drivers, namely Floridians.

I notice on the PA turnpike, the majority of the time a vehicle (usually some big shiny truck that's never hauled a thing) starts riding my ass, they have those distinct yellow NY plates. Something else I've only seen from NY plates... is the flashing of the head lights as they ride your bumper. Which I can only assume means 'please stay in the left lane and slow down'.

true dick move by you.

The snowbirds in Florida right now... They have no concern for anyone who has a job or a life or anything to do. 6 lane roads and you still get stuck under the speed limit. Sons of bastards.

The snowbirds in Florida right now... They have no concern for anyone who has a job or a life or anything to do. 6 lane roads and you still get stuck under the speed limit. Sons of bastards.

South Florida's complete lack of useable public transportation is one component of the problem; too many people on the roadways. The others, as you said, are the high numbers of snowbirds/tourists, people from all over the world who come to live here who know how to drive "the right way" from back home and proceed to do so, and the general South Florida motto of "I love fraud" which loosely translates to "I bet I can get away with whatever self-serving act that I am about to commit, so screw you people."

As a wise man I know once said, "I love living in South Florida; it's so close to the U.S."

Reactions: PrtLng Lion

NY’r is merely reminding you that the left-lane is for over-taking and not for jacking off *

FYI beemer is motorcycle, not automobile.

The terms Bimmer, Beemer or Beamer refer to BMW s. Bimmer is the correct term for BMW cars while Beemer and Beamer are used for BMW motorcycles. ... The BMW car enthusiasts wanted a new term to differentiate cars from motorcycles and coined the term Bimmer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT