ADVERTISEMENT

“Penn State hiring assistant vice president for diversity, inclusion, belonging”

This is the step I have been waiting for PSU to take. I am now comfortable renewing my donations to the university for the first time since late 2011.

I work in the Legal industry and all of our big law firm clients now have Chief Inclusion and diversity officers. It's always a AA guy or gal of course and I a just can't figure out their role 40 hours a week. Sure, make sure the firm is at least partially represented by minority EE's and the like, but what else do they do during the week?

Was going to write a witty reply talking about my diverse ideas on topics.....but have decided to not post my thoughts for fear that someone takes them out of context and I get noise for trying to make a joke..........Happy 2020.

I work in the Legal industry and all of our big law firm clients now have Chief Inclusion and diversity officers. It's always a AA guy or gal of course and I a just can't figure out their role 40 hours a week. Sure, make sure the firm is at least partially represented by minority EE's and the like, but what else do they do during the week?
Likewise. In my case, particularly recently, they barrage you with daily emails about D&I events.

I do so love it when managers and principals work for staff rather than the other way around, whether it is marketing, HR, or any other department.

But hey, shit flows downhill. Clients demand it (mainly because corporations juiced their female executive stats by putting them in HR and legal so they wouldn't actually run the business with the boys), so law firms respond, and demand it of consultants, etc. etc. etc.

Likewise. In my case, particularly recently, they barrage you with daily emails about D&I events.

I do so love it when managers and principals work for staff rather than the other way around, whether it is marketing, HR, or any other department.

But hey, shit flows downhill. Clients demand it (mainly because corporations juiced their female executive stats by putting them in HR and legal so they wouldn't actually run the business with the boys), so law firms respond, and demand it of consultants, etc. etc. etc.

All good points. It seems to me that it is merely a token or virtue signaling position to potential clients of the firm. I suppose it placates client/corporate demands on diversity and at minimum gives the appearance the firm is socially aligned with the culture and their clients. Just can't help but feel like there is a better more honest way of getting minorities integrated into corporate cultures, but I suppose that would require real thought and probably more time/$.

Was going to write a witty reply talking about my diverse ideas on topics.....but have decided to not post my thoughts for fear that someone takes them out of context and I get noise for trying to make a joke..........Happy 2020.
Oh Soupy....Just let the outrage out....
We are all understanding and compassionate to our siblings.

Reactions: LionDeNittany

I believe having a diversity officer who provides training is a defense against law suits. Hopefully, the diversity officer will be successful in bringing diversity and understanding within the organization.

Reactions: ram2020
great hire as far as I’m concerned. Surprised PSU didn’t already have one.
honestly, it is surprising they didn't already have one. I suppose that's a function of, unlike the legal industry as described above, they don't really have a customer that they have to be responsive to

All good points. It seems to me that it is merely a token or virtue signaling position to potential clients of the firm. I suppose it placates client/corporate demands on diversity and at minimum gives the appearance the firm is socially aligned with the culture and their clients. Just can't help but feel like there is a better more honest way of getting minorities integrated into corporate cultures, but I suppose that would require real thought and probably more time/$.

one very simple thing to do would be to hire/have a director/office of affordability instead. College tuition practices are completely artificial, nontransparent, and highly price discriminatory.

I was forced to listen to my employer’s diversity genius. I got nothing out of an hours’ meeting, and it confirmed my feeling that if you are a certain gender and race you better watch your back.
Meanwhile, the .... elites continue down the yellow brick road, with the public propaganda outlet ( called the media) sings its tune over and over and over.
Golden rule thank you, even if the platinum rule is now the gold standard .

These positions are becoming standard in the world of academia, government, and business.

They're modern America's version of political officers assigned to Soviet military units back in the day.

On one hand, it's all so silly that it lends itself to the kind of mockery rightfully expressed in this thread.

On the other hand, the methods are increasingly intrusive and coercive -- with more and more people fearing for their jobs and careers if they don't buy in (or pretend to buy in) to the party line.

And there's nothing funny about that.

I was forced to listen to my employer’s diversity genius. I got nothing out of an hours’ meeting, and it confirmed my feeling that if you are a certain gender and race you better watch your back.
Meanwhile, the .... elites continue down the yellow brick road, with the public propaganda outlet ( called the media) sings its tune over and over and over.
Golden rule thank you, even if the platinum rule is now the gold standard .
Far and away, the best presentations I have ever heard were not the outside consultant. It was my work colleagues who were gay, AA, women, disabled, having suffered through mental health crises, etc. telling their personal stories. Those stories tend to be much more concrete at highlighting the decision points that we all face in our daily lives (and which we sometimes don't even realize are there) where we can either give somebody a hand up or ignore them. People will be the best version of themselves if they are allowed to be honest about themselves. The consultants are complete crap.

Last edited:
I was hoping that a phony job like this would be one of the casualties of no football revenue. This is reason 1 of about a million why it's time that these universities get "reimagined."

Sadly, in our world, where political correctness trumps logic and common sense, meaningful, real jobs will get cut before these horse-ass inclusion jobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
NATIONAL. SEARCH. o_O

This person will bring milk and cookies to students so they feel included.

I long to belong.
I wanna know when something going to be done for those of us who are vertically and follicly challenged. No one talks about how we are discriminated against and held up to ridicule. If something isn't done to compensate us for our life long suffering, we will be taking to the streets..........and no jokes about people not seeing us and getting run over.

Reactions: dailybuck777
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT