ADVERTISEMENT

“ Preseason “ Report Card

83wuzme

Apr 27, 2005
The nonconference schedule is over. PSU is 3 - 0 with a bye week. These are my marks for PSU based on my semi informed football knowledge.

Special Teams - “ A “ . Gotta start with a very solid accomplishment. Special teams have often been problematic during the JF era, but this year they have been a real positive : kickoff’s, punting and coverage. The return teams haven’t had any game breakers yet, and Hamler probably needs to be less aggressive. The FG production has been the icing on the cake. Great results, especially for a young squad.
Passing Offense - “ B “. New QB and some newer receivers. It is still too early to definitively compare the receivers this year to last. Freiermuth continues to be arguably the best TE in the conference. Clifford clearly has ability but is still green. OL protection needs a better effort from the RB rotation. Playbook appears to be somewhat limited so far.
Rushing Offense - “ C - “. This could be an “ I “ because there has not been a lot of effort to get this going. Not being able to convert 3rd and short against weaker opponents and only being able to possess the ball 30 - 40% of the time could signal real trouble ahead in matchup’s with Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State. Our defense also needs a better result here.
Pass Defense - “ B “. So far, bend but don’t break. Pitt and Buffalo proved better than expected and there appeared to be some confusion on our part helping them at times. The defensive line has not been as consistent as many expected, and the anticipated sacks have not really materialized. There appears to be future NFL talent be found in this defense, but most of it is relatively young. Linebackers are the deepest and best of the Franklin era.
Rush Defense - “ A - “. Anytime an opponent is either too intimidated or unconfident running against your defense with a first down inside of the one yard line, you’re doing something right. This test is going to get tougher, obviously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT